• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
AKRON, Ohio, Jan. 7, 2013 FirstMerit Bank announced today that it has launched three exciting reward programs for its checking account holders who use FirstMerit debit cards.

https://www.firstmerit.com/pdf/MeritRewards_Program_Description....

Activation Bonus
You can earn up to $150 by participating in our convenient banking services. Qualifying services include:
 Bill Pay. Pay three bills per month for the first three months following enrollment to qualify. Not
available for accounts already set up with this activity.
 Direct Deposit. Make two direct deposits of $250 or more into your account each month for two
consecutive months following enrollment to qualify. Not available for accounts already set up with
this activity.
 Paperless Statement. Sign up for paperless statements and receive paperless statements for two
consecutive statement cycles following enrollment to qualify.

The more you participate in qualifying services, the more you earn:
$25 for participating in one service,
$75 for participating in two services and
$150 for participating in all three services.

New account customers must enroll in the qualifying services within 90 days of account opening.

Payment of MeritRewards Shop & Earn Bonuses
Your MeritRewards Shop & Earn bonuses will be paid as a direct deposit to your account within 30 days of the
MeritRewards Shop & Earn enrollment anniversary date provided your original qualifying account is open (or
you have upgraded to another qualifying account) and your account is in good standing on your enrollment
anniversary date
Amounts paid may be subject to IRS tax reporting. You are responsible for any personal tax liability associated
with receipt of MeritRewards Shop & Earn bonuses.
Fees
A monthly fee for MeritRewards Shop & Earn may apply as set forth defined below:
Reality Platinum,WorkPlace
Platinum & CFMA
Reality Gold & WorkPlace Gold All Other Retail Checking
Accounts
Free Free $1.00 per month

also $10 for referrals
https://www.firstmerit.com/personal/checking/referAfriend.aspx

3 types of accounts available. Details are here.
https://www.firstmerit.com/personal/checking/index.aspx

Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin only

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin only. Please add to OP and/or Title.

Hard pull?

And what counts as a DD? Looks like the bill pay and paperless statements are easy enough, so a sure way to get $75 if they don't consider Paypal or bank transfers via ACH to be direct deposits.

Does this bank allow credit card deposit?

I figured I'd give it a shot, but got this when I hit submit:
We are unable to open your account at this time.
If you have questions, please call us at 1-888-554-4362.

They ask you multiple choice questions for identity verification, but none of them applied to me for all 3 questions - height on drivers license, and two cars I've previously owned. Never have had all of them as non-applicable.

Is a branch visit required to open the account(s)?

Anyone open this one and get Thank you for submitting your application! info coming in the mail.... Just wondering if they are gonna let me go through. Incidentally you can fund with cc, but they didn't run mine yet.

what is the max funding amount when using a credit card? What credit cards are presented as options?

"Your MeritRewards Shop & Earn bonuses will be paid as a direct deposit to your account within 30 days of the
MeritRewards Shop & Earn enrollment anniversary date"

How do they define the anniversary date?

Thanks OP. Will jump if we can get confirmation on a soft/hard pull.

I called them up & they said that they don't run your credit at all (I even asked them about a soft pull) if you are opening up a checking account. Not sure how much weight this should carry since the rep didn't seem that knowledgable. I also asked them what the maximum funding amount is for a credit card but she didn't know/ wasn't sure if there was a maximum.

Called them up and verified with a personal banker that it is indeed a soft pull. I was going to pull the trigger, but saw the reward payable within 30 days of your "anniversary date", which would be a year. Probably will pass on this one.

What types of credit cards do they let you fund the account with?

Does this have an exp. date?
I can't find one in any of the small print.
Thanks for your help!

Does it mention the account "inactivity" fee ? There was $25 fee if the account is not actively used... i.e., min of 5 or 7 transactions a month.... I closed my account last month after getting hit with this fee multiple times...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.