• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
In the process of doing my taxes, I just noticed that the final HUD for a refiance that I did in Aug seems to be incorrect. I missed it because it was already a revised HUD and the only thing that was supposed to be changed was changed correctly and the mistake was buried in an addendum. The mistake has to do with how much property tax was paid into escrow. The loan has since then be sold to another bank.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Should I contact the new lender? Or should I be talking to the escrow company - who I assume has the extra $?

(On a side note, I'm not sure if the escrow company paid the property tax for me. I ended up paying it separately myself due to the timing of payment due/loan processing/etc and I haven't gotten any refund from the county....)

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Call the new lender and ask for escrow balance. Tell them you want a check for the overage. By law they have to refund you the difference. They are, and usually do, keep a small surplus in case of increases that are unexpected.

alamo11 said:   Call the new lender and ask for escrow balance. Tell them you want a check for the overage. By law they have to refund you the difference. They are, and usually do, keep a small surplus in case of increases that are unexpected.

Ok. I'll try that. I think they might already think that they've refunded me the difference since there is a mistake in the statement. Essentially the mistake is that they took ~$2.5k from me to pay property taxes but only shows a ~$2k withheld for property taxes. This, of course, makes a total for the fees incorrect - which it is.

I actually recently received a new "Truth in Lending" statement from the new lender because they thought that was wrong - but there were no difference between the new one they sent and the old one that I have.

Sounds like it's the new lender that I need to talk to.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014