kmully's 2nd AOR

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Want to knock this out today if I go with the AMEX Biz Gold. Otherwise I don't have to rush. (And I'm leaning toward avoiding that for reasons listed below.)

Thought it would be useful for others to see what an AOR looks like. I know I learned from imbatman's last AOR thread.

Current FAKO scores:
Transrisk: 757
VantageScore: 915

Current cards:

• AMEX Blue Cash - original, 5% 2nd tier, oldest card, want to keep forever, wife is an authorized user from a long time ago
  • Chase Amazon Visa - second oldest card, wife is authorized user from a long time ago
  • Penfed Rewards Visa - 5% gas, 3% groceries, opened during AOR #1 in 7/2012
  • Citi AA AMEX - opened during AOR #1 in 7/2012
  • Citi AA Visa - opened during AOR #1 in 7/2012
  • Chase Southwest - opened during AOR #1 in 7/2012

AOR Goals:
Amass as many points/miles as possible for various travel. Got the AA cards last time specifically to get us to Europe for Summer 2014.

Not picky on my hotel choices... open to Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott although it appears Hilton has more cards through card providers to continually earn points on.

Cards I am thinking of targeting:

AMEX Gold - 75k bonus ends tonight/tomorrow morning - spend $10k in 4 months - would cancel before annual fee kicks in - would be willing to swap this out for a Chase Ink card with lower spending threshold; have read some reports that a lot of spending all of a sudden on AMEX Gold leads to AMEX FR. Considering my AMEX Blue is my money maker right now I don't want any of my cards suspended.

OR

Chase Ink Plus - Business - 50k points - spend $5k in 3 months (leaning toward this one due to negative AMEX Gold reports and higher spend requirement on AMEX)

+

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Personal - 40k points - spend $3k in 3 months

+

AMEX Hilton HHonors - Personal - 50k Hilton points, no annual fee, get access to AXON and VIP discounted rewards - spend $750 in 3 months - would plan to keep long term for discounted rewards

+

BOA Hawaiian - Personal - 35k Hawaiian miles or 70k Hilton points - spend $1k in 4 months - would cancel before AF

+

BOH Hawaiian - Personal - 35k Hawaiian miles or 70k Hilton points - spend $1k in 4 months - would cancel before AF

+

Barclays US Airways - Personal - 40k miles after first use - would cancel before AF - I have read reports that this deal may be dead and you can end up with just 6k or 9k miles... makes me a little nervous. Need to read FT thread again to make sure most recent applications are still getting it. (I do get a 30k mile offer when I log in to my US Airways account.)

+

Barclays US Airways - Business - 25k miles after first use - same inquiry, why not?

+

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature - Personal - 40k points - spend $1k in 4 months, no annual fee

+

Citi AA Mastercard - Business - 30k miles - spend 1k in 3 months (I've read of a 50k mile offer, but can't find it?)

Would give me:
2 Chase
1 AMEX
1 BOA
1 BOH
2 Barclays
2 Citi

What I would net:
90k Ultimate Rewards ( = 90k United, BA miles, Marriott or Southwest points, minimum $900)
230k Hilton HHonors
65k US Airways Miles
30k AA Miles

What I would have to spend:
$12,750 within 4 months
5-6 inquiries (not sure if BOA/BOH count as one or two)

Also considering:
Penfed Travel Visa - Personal - spend $2,500 and get 20k points = $200 - no annual fee and would keep to build history - not sure if it is worth the inquiry, used to be spend $650 get $200, likely will pass

US Bank Club Carlson - Personal - 85k points - spend $2.5k in 3 months - afraid US Bank will not like all the open lines at the same time, won't need Club Carlson points in Europe until Summer 2014 which means I would pay an annual fee (although you do get 40k points on anniversary, so that might be worth it)

US Bank Club Carlson - Business - 85k points - spend $2.5k in 3 months - afraid US Bank will not like all the open lines at the same time, won't need Club Carlson points in Europe until Summer 2014 which means I would pay an annual fee (although you do get 40k points on anniversary, so that might be worth it)

Might try to save the US Bank cards for my next churn, that would add an extra $5k to my total spend which is doable but would be a stretch.

Thoughts and critiques?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'd go with chase cards over the AMEX card for some of the reasons you mentioned.

Can you explain more about cancelling before AF for the BOA cards. I assume the first year isn't waved, so how quickly do you have to cancel? The AF is why I didn't go for those cards last time.

Maybe this can help for your citi 50k? It's what I'm currently doing http://millionmilesecrets.com/hot-deals/

As a data point, I applied for the US Airways card 3 weeks ago and paid off my purchase within the last week. I just checked and saw I got 40K points There is also an offer for 30K on their website.

Other thoughts...the club carlson card was the only one I got denied for in the last few years out of dozens of attempts. But you may be safer than me since I had more recent inquiries. I got the penfed card (actually picked up the 5% gas card with the same inquiry too), but it's been relatively a bit of a hassle. They required me to fax over documents, and the process is just more drawn out...3 weeks later I still don't have the card yet.

if the decision is between the AMEX Gold and the other cards you're considering, I'd pick the AMEX Gold card.

BOH and BOA, two separate inquiries. Both hit experian in my state so bit disappointed but nevertheless, I got 280k HH points (for both of us). AF was billed during the first month so no way getting off w/o paying off first AF.

Clubcarlson is the only one who denied me. If somehow you can freeze ARS/IDA credit reports then you might have a good shot on us bank branded cards. I desperately wanted to get CC card for two for one night benefit which will be super saver in europe.If you are heading to Paris, chase Hyatt is must! may be try in your next churn.

There is a AA citi biz link on FT for 50k with $150 st. credit.

Sorry I didn't mean avoiding the first year's annual fee. Meant cancel before the second year fee kicks in.

Updated targets in order:

Barclay's US Air Personal - 40k US Air Miles - after first use - $89 AF is waived 1st year
Barclay's US Air Business - 25k US Air Miles - after first use - $79 AF is not waived
BOA Hawaiian Airlines Personal - 35k Hawaiian Miles = 70k Hilton HHonors - spend $1k in 4 months + $79 AF
BOH Hawaiian Airlines Personal - 35k Hawaiian Miles = 70k Hilton HHonors - spend $1k in 4 months + $79 AF
AMEX Hilton HHonors Personal - 50k Hilton HHonors - spend $750 in 3 months - no annual fee
Citi AA Mastercard Business - 30k AA Miles - spend $1k in 3 months - $95 AF waived 1st year
Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Personal - 40k Hilton HHonors - spend $1k in 4 months - no annual fee
Chase Ink Plus Business - 50k Ultimate Rewards - spend $5k in 3 months - $95 AF is waived 1st year
Chase Sapphire Preferred Personal - 40k Ultimate Rewards - spend $3k in 3 months - $95 AF is waived 1st year

Total Spend: $12,750 in 4 months

Thankfully I have a legitimate side business that I can use as my reason for the biz cards.

I saw a BOA Hawaiian Business on Million Mile Secrets, but the link goes to the exact same application and offer code as the personal. Guessing that is a mistake? Figured I've already got one inquiry for the personal card, why not get the business too? But not sure it exists now.

I've got these listed in order since I've heard of Barclay's getting cold feet if you have a lot of inquiries. Knock them out first and work my way down. Put the heavy hitting, largest spend required cards at the bottom.

Any other thoughts? Will execute on this probably this coming weekend; will be out of town for a few days the following week while cards are in transit to my house.

search flyertalk for a thread that has Citi AA cards 50k after 2500 spend. Do two browser to get two cards. Drop Citi Hhonors in favor of the 2nd Aadvantage card.

My understanding was if you got 2 Citi AA cards in first AOR that you couldn't double up?

Are you saying grab a personal and a biz Citi AA MasterCard?

i switched the chase ink for the chase ua explorer for my first aor. I didn't want to have too much spending requirements...
I think you should go for both citi AA cards instead of 1 and the other the hilton... you would have plenty of hilton points already, i think its better to have some extra AA points..
millionmilesecrets was great for the current promo links...

I forgot you got the 2xaadvantage back in July. So this is the third of the aadvantage cards. Ignore my previous comment. My new comment is that you may not get the citi hhonors an aadvantage cards. Citi is funny about that. You can try. But they also stink at reconsideration, so either do just aa or do 2x hhonors.

dont you guys cancel at least 1 of the AA cards after you get the points?

Instant Approval:

Barclay's US Air Personal - 40k US Air Miles - after first use - $89 AF is waived 1st year
AMEX Hilton HHonors Personal - 50k Hilton HHonors - spend $750 in 3 months - no annual fee
Citi AA Mastercard Business - 30k AA Miles - spend $1k in 3 months - $95 AF waived 1st year
Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Personal - 50k Hilton HHonors - spend $1k in 4 months - no annual fee (found a new landing page w/50k instead of 40k)

Delayed and will call reconsideration line:

Barclay's US Air Business - 25k US Air Miles - after first use - $79 AF is not waived
BOA Hawaiian Airlines Personal - 35k Hawaiian Miles = 70k Hilton HHonors - spend $1k in 4 months + $79 AF
BOH Hawaiian Airlines Personal - 35k Hawaiian Miles = 70k Hilton HHonors - spend $1k in 4 months + $79 AF
Chase Ink Plus Business - 50k Ultimate Rewards - spend $5k in 3 months - $95 AF is waived 1st year
Chase Sapphire Preferred Personal - 40k Ultimate Rewards - spend $3k in 3 months - $95 AF is waived 1st year

If anyone has these reconsideration line numbers handy, I'd appreciate it. Looking them up now.

866-408-4064
866-458-8805/877-721-9405
888-503-6090
800-453-9719
888-245-0625

Good Luck

atifosi2k1 said:   Barclay's US Air Business - 25k US Air Miles - after first use - $79 AF is not waived
866-408-4064
866-458-8805/877-721-9405
888-503-6090
800-453-9719
888-245-0625

Good Luck

Thanks, those are the numbers I found. All the credit analyst departments are closed on the weekends. Will have to wait until Monday. Argh.

Super Success!

Everything approved except for the Barclay's US Airways Business card. Said too many recent inquiries. Even tried saying I was trying to split out business and personal expenses and she wasn't biting.

Ink Plus was already approved, I didn't even have to give more info. Guess it was because I applied on Saturday (will remember to not do that next time).

Sapphire Preferred let me take some credit off my Southwest card.

But everything else approved. Also an interesting point, when I called BOA he saw both applications and asked if I had applied twice. I acted confused and said maybe my browser refreshed. He pulled up my report, came back and said "Oh, we handle Bank of Hawaii cards here too because BOA backs it. And I can approve you for both." He gave me the total credit limit and let me split it 50/50 on each of the cards.

Batted 8 out of 9. And the 1 I missed didn't cost me an extra inquiry, I don't believe.

Should get cards next week and start the spending... appreciate all the help with the numbers.

What I will net:
90k Ultimate Rewards ( = 90k United, BA miles, Marriott or Southwest points, minimum $900)
230k Hilton HHonors
40k US Airways Miles
30k AA Miles

Congrats, nice haul!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.