• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I thought I'd create a separate thread for this since we've been discussing this over in the Citi Forward and the Thankyou points threads lately.

Over the last year, I've consistently received a new promo for 5x points on additional categories or 20% bonus points for all purchases in a quarter.

2013 Jan - Mar: 5x points on spend in Gas, Groceries, Drugstores and Commuter Expenses
2012 Oct - Dec: 5x points on spend in Electronics, Toys, Apparel stores
2012 Jul - Sep: 20% Bonus on base points (0.2 additional bonus points for every dollar spent)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have the th citi forward and use it every day since I've gotten it years ago for lunch at work. I have never gotten a... (more)

nixmahn (Oct. 02, 2013 @ 3:08p) |

Yes, these targeted programs are typically for those who are not using their card enough that need an incentive to use t... (more)

rasheedb (Oct. 03, 2013 @ 8:28a) |

I use my Forward card over 30 times per month (usually at restaurants), and I've gotten some of these targeted offers in... (more)

govenar (Oct. 04, 2013 @ 1:20a) |

Promotions by Quarter
2013 Oct - Dec: 2x points on other purchase including groceries, gas, shopping, travel and so much more ... [2500 Max points]
2013 Jul - Sep: 5x points on spend in Travel, Dining, Office Supplies, Car rental AND EVERYTHING ELSE! [2500 Max points]
2013 Jul - Sep: 5x points on spend in Gas, Groceries, Drugstores and Commuter Expenses [2500 Max points]
2013 Apr - Jun: 5x points on spend in Gas, Groceries, Drugstores and Commuter Expenses [2500 Max points]
2013 Jan - Mar: 5x points on spend in Gas, Groceries, Drugstores and Commuter Expenses [2500 Max points]
2012 Oct - Dec: 5x points on spend in Electronics, Toys, Apparel stores [2500 Max points]
2012 Jul - Sep: 20% Bonus on base points (0.2 additional bonus points for every dollar spent)
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How to you receive the notice? Email, mail, during login?

I wonder why some these are targeted and to who...

How long have you had your account?
Was it sockdrawered when you got the promo?

KYBOSH said:   I wonder why some these are targeted and to who...

How long have you had your account?
Was it sockdrawered when you got the promo?

from what i've read it's randomly targeted. for people that just got their accounts, and people that have had it for years.
For those that regularly use it, and those who have it sock-drawered.
Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.
It's typically an email, but you can also login and view your targeted promos. It's mentioned in at least 2 other threads on this card in FWF.

Boy, I'd love one of those promos. I've had the card for years, and use it frequently for Amazon and dining out. It's be nice to have it useful for something else too...

I've been actively using my Forward for several years, with a bump in spending in December because I did most of my Christmas shopping on Amazon. I never received those offers previously, but I got the Jan-Mar 2013 offer by email last week and paper mail this week. I was also upgraded to Forward Visa Signature last week.

gordoco said:   I was also upgraded to Forward Visa Signature last week.
"upgraded" is a nice word for not allowing someone to opt out and removing their account from reporting its credit limit to the credit reporting agencies.
(Mine was also "upgraded" in January... now both of my > $10k citi lines don't report, only a $4k line... )

For additional datapoints on the targeted promos, I've received the targeted offers for a couple years, before and after they changed mine to visa signature. I also usually get one for the citi dividend world mastercard. I have used it at Amazon but not often, mostly I only put restaurant/fast food spending on it. (Due to getting Amazon gift cards at ~17% off the past several years when a local store runs a "sale" on gift cards around Black Friday)

I've had this card for a while now... I converted an old Sony card to this Forward when it came out (via some other products in between). I keep getting these quarterly promos in the mail like clock work every quarter. I usually sign up online and date the envelope and let it sit in the back of my mail rack. I've always got them in paper form...I don't offer my email since I already get too much email.

I do have another Citi card (Preferred) but I don't use that as much since it doesn't offer anything more than 1 point per dollar spent. However it has better redemption rates so I've kept it active.

As for usage, I definitely use this card a lot. Its my primary card for dinning out. And given that I dine out a lot for work, the bills add up to a fair bit of points. This card also gives bonuses for managing credit wisely, quarterly APR rate drops (of no value to me as I PIF each month) and stuff like that.

I got the new Signature card a few weeks ago but curiously, there is no Concierge number on the back like other Signature cards do...though there is mention of a concierge in the accompanying paperwork with a toll-free number. With everyone fighting tooth and nail for the real estate on the back of the card, I guess this was the casualty.

Bend3r said:   gordoco said:   I was also upgraded to Forward Visa Signature last week.
"upgraded" is a nice word for not allowing someone to opt out and removing their account from reporting its credit limit to the credit reporting agencies.
(Mine was also "upgraded" in January... now both of my > $10k citi lines don't report, only a $4k line... )

For additional datapoints on the targeted promos, I've received the targeted offers for a couple years, before and after they changed mine to visa signature. I also usually get one for the citi dividend world mastercard. I have used it at Amazon but not often, mostly I only put restaurant/fast food spending on it. (Due to getting Amazon gift cards at ~17% off the past several years when a local store runs a "sale" on gift cards around Black Friday)

Are you sure that the CLs don't report, or are you assuming that? Many Visa Signature and MasterCard World cards do report credit limits.

Signature cards used to not report CLs because "technically" they have no set limit.
All my Signature cards have reported limits for the last 1-2 years though.

I cant imagine what benefit an issuer would get from withholding what your limit is.

FIA apparently doesn't report the Fidelity Visa. Creditkarma shows N/A on limit. I haven't had any reporting issues with Signatures from Chase, Navy or Citibank.

Thats interesting. My BoA signature (FIA) reports the limit.

stanolshefski said:   Bend3r said:   gordoco said:   I was also upgraded to Forward Visa Signature last week.

Are you sure that the CLs don't report, or are you assuming that? Many Visa Signature and MasterCard World cards do report credit limits.

I was assuming on the one that was just converted. I would need to pull a new report to see.

I know that my BoA/FIA card never reported the limit (Scwab card, now converted to BankAmericash or something). I was able to solve that by them transferring the line to a non-signature card, which luckily they have not "upgraded" yet after another year+. I also know my other Citi card had stopped reporting the limit when they changed it to a "World Mastercard". I know more than one of my Chase cards with signature or world card that did not report the limit in the past. I'll update after I pull a new report.

EDIT: I pulled a new report. (Transunion). My citi world mastercard reports the credit limit. My recently upgraded citi forward signature visa hasn't reported January yet, so I don't know on that one. My BOA "signature visa" (formerly the Schwab visa) still does not report any credit limit. I had closed my other citi card that was a signature visa, but it looks like it shows the limit for that one too. I also have a closed Chase Saphhire visa signature closed in 2010, it does NOT have a limit reported, only high balance. So, I guess they can continue to report the limit, but some of them choose not to if it has no PSL.

From my own report, it looks like Citi reports the limit but Chase and BOA do not (or, at least in the case of Chase, did not -- I don't have a way to know if they currently do.)

KYBOSH said:   
I cant imagine what benefit an issuer would get from withholding what your limit is.

I can imagine a benefit (of course, I don't know if this is actually the reason they did/do it). Reporting a high credit limit doesn't help the issuer, of course they keep track of account limits held at their own banks internally - I'll refer to this as "Issuer A". However, reporting a high limit would boost the person's credit rating as well as demonstrate what amounts of credit they trust the individual with and thus make OTHER issuers more likely to approve and extend better credit to the person. This would not be in the interest of the "Issuer A", because they want you to use only their own products, not to be able to obtain more credit from someone else with more advantageous terms and move your business elsewhere. This would have the largest effect on people with thin files or low account ages and no mortgage/non-credit card related things on their credit report.

TheWalL said:   2013 Jan - Mar: 5x points on spend in Gas, Groceries, Drugstores and Commuter Expenses

I got this one too. Should say it's capped at 2500 points.

Yoksel said:   TheWalL said:   2013 Jan - Mar: 5x points on spend in Gas, Groceries, Drugstores and Commuter Expenses

I got this one too. Should say it's capped at 2500 points.

In my experience, 5x has always had the cap at 2500 points (or $625 in spend). Has anyone tried the giftcard trick with these promos? Has it worked?

Got my letter today too. Curious though, since the letter starts "If you haven't used your Citi Forward Card in a while, now is the perfect time to start. We're doing even more to get you the rewards you want". I use my card pretty frequently at Amazon and at restaurants (cafeteria at work qualifies, so almost daily). I wonder if there are a lot of card holders out there who just have this card sock-drawered to make it work them making that statement in their letter.

My Citi Forward offer for this quarter was Travel:
"Earn 5 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on travel purchases at hotels, airlines, car rental agencies and cruise lines even if you book through a travel agency or online. Earn up to 2,500 additional points, through 03/31/13!"

I use my card all the time, but only for Amazon and Restaurants.

Had to comeback and correct my statement.
I had an indepth look at my credit report yesterday and say that my BoA signature card is no longer reporting.
It was reporting before I got a CLI last month (from 15k-25k).

Kinda sucks.

The Priceline signature card I just got is reporting limits its the limits though.
Its below $10k so maybe you guys are onto something. Lower limits are reported but higher ones is hit or miss.

Is there an annual/quarterly limit on the rewards for the Citi Forward card?

There used to be but not anymore.

whodini said:   Is there an annual/quarterly limit on the rewards for the Citi Forward card?

75k annual cap was in place but many have reported that its been removed sometime last year. They eliminated the cap for me in Sep 2012.

Just noticed that even transactions in the entire quarter earn the promo points...no matter when you register. So this is more like Chase Freedom in that respect.

Havent seen anything about the Q2 promo in the mail...usually the mailer comes around the 20th of the first month.

Just got an email:

Start earning 5 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on travel purchases at hotels, airlines, car rental agencies and cruise lines even if you book through a travel agency or online. Earn up to 2,500 additional points, through 06/30/13.* Enroll now!

I have been using this card a lot.

I got a mailer today for the same promo as Q1 for me: 5x points, upto 2500 extra points, on groceries, gas, drugstores and commuter expenses.

TheWalL said:   Just noticed that even transactions in the entire quarter earn the promo points...no matter when you register. So this is more like Chase Freedom in that respect.Are you sure about that? The email I got for my Forward card on April 2 says "This offer starts within 2 business days of when you enroll and will end on 06/30/13" which sounds like only transactions with dates starting 2 business days after enrolling will earn the promo points.

govenar said:   TheWalL said:   Just noticed that even transactions in the entire quarter earn the promo points...no matter when you register. So this is more like Chase Freedom in that respect.Are you sure about that? The email I got for my Forward card on April 2 says "This offer starts within 2 business days of when you enroll and will end on 06/30/13" which sounds like only transactions with dates starting 2 business days after enrolling will earn the promo points.

Yes, that's what the letter says. But in Q1 I had transactions at grocery stores *BEFORE* I even got the promo letter. When I signed up, those transactions got the 5x bonus as well. So keep it on the down low.

Anyone know what spoecifically qualifies as commuter expenses? Tolls? Parking? Public transportation?

NJTaxpayer said:   Anyone know what spoecifically qualifies as commuter expenses? Tolls? Parking? Public transportation?

I use my card to buy monthly pass for (city-suburban) trains. It qualifies. Local public transportation within the city also qualifies. I'm not sure about tolls, never tried that one. Parking at the airport didn't qualify for me so I didn't try elsewhere.

I've not seen anything about the Q3 promo...but typically Citi sends out a mailer that I receive around the 3rd week of the month. So we've got some ways to go.

Looks like the same promo for Q3 as before...
2013 Jul - Sep: 5x points on spend in Gas, Groceries, Drugstores and Commuter Expenses [2500 Max points]

TheWalL said:   Looks like the same promo for Q3 as before...

I got this, but for my Dividend World MC, and with an additional $10 bonus for first spend over $10 after enrolling. I figure that's good enough to do $800 in spending on it to cash out at 50, haven't used it in a few years since getting the sign-up bonus. Have a half dozen personal Citi Cards, and have received several 5x TYP offers similar but without anything extra on top.

Got a second offer...this one is amazing in its breadth of categories!
2013 Jul - Sep: 5x points on spend in Travel, Dining, Office Supplies, Car rental AND EVERYTHING ELSE! [2500 Max points]

Kicker is that everything else...and in the text, it says:
Earn 5 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on purchases, including travel, dining, office supplies, car rentals and so much more.

The other regular offer (gas, groceries etc...) doesn't state the "so much more". It basically sounds like its 5x points on *all* transactions upto $625 for this offer. Not much, but I'll take 5x any which way with TYP.

2013 Oct - Dec: 2x points on other purchase including groceries, gas, shopping, travel and so much more ... upto 2500 additional points.

TheWalL said:   2013 Oct - Dec: 2x points on other purchase including groceries, gas, shopping, travel and so much more ... upto 2500 additional points.
sign-up required? I haven't seen the ad yet

All offers discussed in this thread are targeted. There is a code in the email/mailer that you enter to sign up. The code is unique. Even if you're not logged into the Citicards site, when you submit the code, it will pull up your last name and last 4 of the card. Makes me think the code is tied to the card.

TheWalL said:   All offers discussed in this thread are targeted. There is a code in the email/mailer that you enter to sign up. The code is unique. Even if you're not logged into the Citicards site, when you submit the code, it will pull up your last name and last 4 of the card. Makes me think the code is tied to the card.
I have the th citi forward and use it every day since I've gotten it years ago for lunch at work. I have never gotten any of these extra points offers, EVER.

nixmahn said:   
I have the th citi forward and use it every day since I've gotten it years ago for lunch at work. I have never gotten any of these extra points offers, EVER.

Yes, these targeted programs are typically for those who are not using their card enough that need an incentive to use them again/more. Citi feels you would use the card anyway.

Rasheed

rasheedb said:   
nixmahn said:   

Yes, these targeted programs are typically for those who are not using their card enough that need an incentive to use them again/more. Citi feels you would use the card anyway.

I use my Forward card over 30 times per month (usually at restaurants), and I've gotten some of these targeted offers in the past (like 5x at grocery/gas/drugstores, or 5x at electronics/dept stores).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014