Online Gambling in USA

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Its kinda hard to find info on google regarding online gambling in the US. Most sites that say it is legal look like online casino advertisements, and then the laws are really confusing. Are any of you guys currently gambling online and have no problem depositing funds and cashing out? Details would be great...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
There are also daily fantasy sports sites which bet on groups of players. http://www.cnbc.com/id/100545452

calwatch (Mar. 13, 2013 @ 11:03p) |

The House ALWAYS Wins...

KYBOSH (Mar. 14, 2013 @ 5:51a) |

Not if you always bet on black - Wesley Snipes

mattun (Mar. 14, 2013 @ 11:05a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yes, you can gamble online. Of course it is illegal. I don't think FW mods would like us posting how to gamble online since it is illegal. sbrforums can help you out

Seeing how easy it is to fake your location on the internet, you should have no problem gambling on-line. I'd be more concerned that the games would be rigged.

there is a reason dealers in real life spread cards out on the table for all to see (front and back), shuffle thoroughly, show their sleeves, etc. anyone who plays cards for money online without these safeguards is extremely trusting. very very trusting. i am not saying "idiot" because I am trying to use nice words.
even if the offshore gambling site operators that write the compute programs aren't ripping the users off, its entirely possible hackers can manipulate computer servers.
if you want to play cards, might I suggest CalNeva on Virginia Street in Reno, NV. Single deck blackjack and a friendly crowd make for lots of fun. If you are in Vegas, on the other hand, go to OSheas, where a genuine leprechaun walking on the bar will serve you.

If I ran an on-line gaming site, I'd run analytics on each member's playing tendencies. Then I'd sprinkle in bots that played for the house and leveraged those analytics.

But I am a bad, bad man.

As a former semi-pro online poker player, there have been several unscrupulous scandals involving bots playing, fund seizures, superusers who can see hole cards, or the famous Full Tilt Poker saga.

It is now illegal to both fund or take part in online gambling from USA. That being said, I'd be much more worried about getting assets frozen/seized or not getting paid by the various sites and agencies than I'd ever be about the games being rigged.

Not worth the trouble or hassle for -EV games and only worth the trouble for +EV games like poker or sports betting if you are a phenominal talent.

First off, this belong in OT.

You all are feeding misinformation. Gambling is illegal. Games of skill are not, hence online poker is not illegal. Check out the Poker Players Alliance (PPA) for more information.

2+2 forums has a good thread on where you can play and deposit methods - Where can US players play?. I recommend the Winning Poker Network and Blackchip Poker.

If you're looking to play online slots and other table games, those are technically illegal according to the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA). In my opinion, sports wagering, fantasy contests, and live dealer blackjack are the only other games which actually have skill online and would not be deemed gambling.

scottybweyy said:   
You all are feeding misinformation. Gambling is illegal. Games of skill are not, hence online poker is not illegal. Check out the Poker Players Alliance (PPA) for more information.


If you ever want to deposit or cash out from any of those sites expect to wait 4-8 weeks in both directions due to the amount of money laundering they have to do to fly under the feds radar. There are no good options available currently. Don't waste your time.

Thanks for the link. Read some of the positions. Seems pretty tenuous, imo.

Some of the "why poker is skill, not gambling" sounded faintly similar to NAMBLA-style justifications. Sorry if that comes off too harsh, but that was my honest reaction while reading the PPA materials.

edit: Yes, I understand the difference between poker and slots. And somewhat familiar with how investments involve risk. And maybe, possibly even a more than passing familiarity with the overall concept of how higher levels of skill can generate higher levels of return in risk-based situations.

But poker is not legally considered to be gambling? Pul-leeze.

If poker is gambling then options trading should be too. Both are zero-sum games with the exception of rake/commissions. Both are highly subject to luck and variance.

Perhaps OP is referencing betting on sports events?

jd2010 said:   If poker is gambling then options trading should be too.

Should be? Sure, why not.

Are? No.

edit: If you really want to extend your analogy, I'd suggest pointing out how investment houses essentially, routinely engage in many of the same bad, bad behaviors I said I'd do if I were running a poker site. Options, and many other trading venues, are effed up to the max.

BEEFjerKAY said:   Thanks for the link. Read some of the positions. Seems pretty tenuous, imo.

Some of the "why poker is skill, not gambling" sounded faintly similar to NAMBLA-style justifications. Sorry if that comes off too harsh, but that was my honest reaction while reading the PPA materials.

edit: Yes, I understand the difference between poker and slots. And somewhat familiar with how investments involve risk. And maybe, possibly even a more than passing familiarity with the overall concept of how higher levels of skill can generate higher levels of return in risk-based situations.

But poker is not legally considered to be gambling? Pul-leeze.


Beef I respect your opinion. I made a killing with online poker until 2006. I actually made custom poker bots as well. It was one of my most passionate hobbies and it faded so quickly on Black Friday in APR 2011. That went down not because of the UIGEA but due to greed. If it were just regulated, it would be much safer and be a decent tax revenue source.

The law could have been written less ambiguously. No one to my knowledge has been charged playing online poker. In fact the DoJ will be returning money seized at some point from Full Tilt and the other companies.

Karma for the NAMBLA reference though - I chuckled a bit!

OliverQuackenbush said:   there is a reason dealers in real life spread cards out on the table for all to see (front and back), shuffle thoroughly, show their sleeves, etc. anyone who plays cards for money online without these safeguards is extremely trusting. very very trusting. i am not saying "idiot" because I am trying to use nice words.
even if the offshore gambling site operators that write the compute programs aren't ripping the users off, its entirely possible hackers can manipulate computer servers.
if you want to play cards, might I suggest CalNeva on Virginia Street in Reno, NV. Single deck blackjack and a friendly crowd make for lots of fun. If you are in Vegas, on the other hand, go to OSheas, where a genuine leprechaun walking on the bar will serve you.

Loved going for the Ham n 99cents at CalNeva

scottybweyy said:   If it were just regulated, it would be much safer and be a decent tax revenue source ...
The law could have been written less ambiguously... No one to my knowledge has been charged playing online poker.


Agree. FWIW, the biggest obstacles probably are the individual state governments who probably have the most to lose if online poker were legalized.

So far as I can tell, where there have been prosecutions they were tax and/or PATRIOT Act based. The usual ticky tacky, penny ante (sorry for the pun) prosecutions that build up a body count with little risk or effort.

Personally, I'd like the energy to be focused on cleaning up the investments arena. With so much consumer focus on meaningless commission rates, the behind-the-scenes executional opportunities to fleece customers -- big and small -- have gone unfettered.

It absolutely blows my mind that the fed doesn't legalize, legislate, and tax the crap out of online poker/gambling. It's not like we couldn't use the additional tax revenue.

scottybweyy said:   You all are feeding misinformation. Gambling is illegal. Games of skill are not, hence online poker is not illegal... If you're looking to play online slots and other table games, those are technically illegal according to the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA). In my opinion, sports wagering, fantasy contests, and live dealer blackjack are the only other games which actually have skill online and would not be deemed gambling.
Meanwhile, your opinion doesn't mean much as far as legality is concerned. The government will steal your money if they feel like it. The Full Tilt/Poker Stars/Pinnacle busts have proven this. It makes me sick how the PPA throws sports betting under the bus, like poker is special or something. Billy Walters must be one lucky son of a bitch.

SaulHudson said:   It absolutely blows my mind that the fed doesn't legalize, legislate, and tax the crap out of online poker/gambling. It's not like we couldn't use the additional tax revenue.If the online poker sites weren't ripping off their customers like a bunch of lowlife gangsters... then maybe they'd think about it. Gambling attracting criminals... who would have thought such a thing possible?

If you want to bet on the outcome of elections and the Fed Funds rate, there is a legal and aboveboard way to do so. It also charges no fees or commissions whatsoever, beyond a $5 fee to join. It's called a prediction market, and is run by the University of Iowa to test the theory that people make better predictions when they have actual money riding on the outcome.

Iowa Electronic Markets

Downsides: The market is decidedly low-tech. You mail in a paper application and check to deposit funds; fund withdrawls are by paper check as well.

The Iowa markets are most fun right before a presidential or congressional election -- lots of money changes hands. At other times, not so much activity, although you can grind away small profits on all the markets throughout the year.

Yikes.

About 6 years ago I used to play a ton of online poker. I probably made about 6-10K playing over one summer, but I haven't played much at all since then. This was back in the hay day when tables were soft, players were weak, and online poker sites were still legit.

I just put $50 into Bovado just to see what it's still like...

I lost $15 on AA vs KK who flopped a K, and I lost $25 with AK where I flopped KK8 against 22 who called my $25 all in and rivered 2 and took 25 bucks from me.


...... now I'm struggling with my $10. I don't miss online poker at all.

Crazytree said:   SaulHudson said:   It absolutely blows my mind that the fed doesn't legalize, legislate, and tax the crap out of online poker/gambling. It's not like we couldn't use the additional tax revenue.If the online poker sites weren't ripping off their customers like a bunch of lowlife gangsters... then maybe they'd think about it. Gambling attracting criminals... who would have thought such a thing possible?

That's why I'm saying the fed could legislate the hell out of it to ensure sites weren't ripping off customers. It would be additional tax revenue, additional gov't jobs, and the online gamblers would be a tad bit safer.

Date I say... it would be a win/win/win scenario.

ahearnb said:   It makes me sick how the PPA throws sports betting under the bus, like poker is special or something.

The Wire Act applies to sports betting but not poker. So yeah, poker is special in this regard.

Many many years ago I made $110,000 via Blackjack (all done legit) from an online casino using mostly free bonus money.
I managed to finally get a $500 payout, they gave some BS reason to void the rest of the pays and plays. It is just not worth gambling online. Take a trip to a real casino. I guarantee the wagers would not have been void if I would have lost $110,000 instead!

You should have made multiple withdrawals along the way. Perhaps you would have gotten more $
yea, thats the main problem with online casinos, they can decide not to pay you, and what can you do in return? nothing!

the problem with real casinos is they dont allow $1 bets fee free... and the whole process takes like 5x longer. i can probably do 50 online bets in the time it would take to do 10 live bets... private rooms are also a must.

SaulHudson said:   Date I say... it would be a win/win/win scenario.

Except for state and local governments, perhaps.

OliverQuackenbush said:   if you want to play cards, might I suggest CalNeva on Virginia Street in Reno, NV. Single deck blackjack and a friendly crowd make for lots of fun. If you are in Vegas, on the other hand, go to OSheas, where a genuine leprechaun walking on the bar will serve you.

OShea's is permanently closed, FYI.

SaulHudson said:   It absolutely blows my mind that the fed doesn't legalize, legislate, and tax the crap out of marijuana. It's not like we couldn't use the additional tax revenue.

FYP.

Betting on the ponies is fully legal online too, iirc.

Just go to one of the casinos in the USA if you want to gamble in the USA. Anyone surely can gamble freely at their own will at any one of the Casinos all over.

vnuts21 said:   

I lost $15 on AA vs KK who flopped a K, and I lost $25 with AK where I flopped KK8 against 22 who called my $25 all in and rivered 2 and took 25 bucks from me.


...... now I'm struggling with my $10. I don't miss online poker at all.


This reads like you lost to trip 2s with trip Ks. Was the turn a 2 also? I guess it goes without saying, but I read that line 10 times to make sure I wasn't missing something.

ceobeaver said:   vnuts21 said:   

I lost $15 on AA vs KK who flopped a K, and I lost $25 with AK where I flopped KK8 against 22 who called my $25 all in and rivered 2 and took 25 bucks from me.


...... now I'm struggling with my $10. I don't miss online poker at all.


This reads like you lost to trip 2s with trip Ks. Was the turn a 2 also? I guess it goes without saying, but I read that line 10 times to make sure I wasn't missing something.


trip Ks vs full house = loser

grex23 said:   Just go to one of the casinos in the USA if you want to gamble in the USA. Anyone surely can gamble freely at their own will at any one of the Casinos all over.

The casinos won't let me play with my pants off in a recliner. This can only be done at home.

scottybweyy said:   BEEFjerKAY said:   Thanks for the link. Read some of the positions. Seems pretty tenuous, imo.

Some of the "why poker is skill, not gambling" sounded faintly similar to NAMBLA-style justifications. Sorry if that comes off too harsh, but that was my honest reaction while reading the PPA materials.

edit: Yes, I understand the difference between poker and slots. And somewhat familiar with how investments involve risk. And maybe, possibly even a more than passing familiarity with the overall concept of how higher levels of skill can generate higher levels of return in risk-based situations.

But poker is not legally considered to be gambling? Pul-leeze.


Beef I respect your opinion. I made a killing with online poker until 2006. I actually made custom poker bots as well. It was one of my most passionate hobbies and it faded so quickly on Black Friday in APR 2011. That went down not because of the UIGEA but due to greed. If it were just regulated, it would be much safer and be a decent tax revenue source.

The law could have been written less ambiguously. No one to my knowledge has been charged playing online poker. In fact the DoJ will be returning money seized at some point from Full Tilt and the other companies.

Karma for the NAMBLA reference though - I chuckled a bit!


The online poker part was never blatantly illegal, it was the way they received the funds.

dk240t said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   if you want to play cards, might I suggest CalNeva on Virginia Street in Reno, NV. Single deck blackjack and a friendly crowd make for lots of fun. If you are in Vegas, on the other hand, go to OSheas, where a genuine leprechaun walking on the bar will serve you.

OShea's is permanently closed, FYI.


I loved that casino. So many crazy stories. Played beer pong for money. Won 6 games in a row. I found a $25 chip on the floor by the craps and parlayed it to $600. By that point I drank so many bud lime pounder bottles I was gonzo. Bought the whole bar rounds. Met a flight attendant. Hooked up in her hotel and left. She was in no condition to make her flight in 4 hours. Took a cab to downtown. Started at the Freemont and for some reason kept drinking washington apple shots. Met a gorgeous married women. She seduced me but I couldn't go through with it. I like to think it was my moral compass but I'm sure it was the hottie flight attended earlier who drained me.

But alas, their website says there will be an O'Sheas 2.0.

Before 'Black Friday' in 2011 - I knew people who played on Full Tilt - They deposited money and played with it and lost it. However, the deposits never left their bank accounts. Amounts in the 4-figures. Crazy. From what I have read these "phantom deposits" were a part of the demise of the old Full Tilt as thousands of players 'deposited' money without it ever leaving their bank accounts.

I've looked briefly into bitcoin gambling (a couple coins for fun, not for any real money). There are options, but the reputability (and interface, etc.) of the various sites mostly seemed a bit shady. Then you have to worry about bots and collusion - I'm guessing the btc gambling sites are not moderated nearly as well as the large online gambling sites used to be.

BradisBrad said:   The casinos won't let me play with my pants off in a recliner. This can only be done at home.

If you are gambling enough there are several casinos who would be more than happy to allow that.

Checkout Quibids.com. Talk about "legalized gambling."

hebron1427 said:   ceobeaver said:   vnuts21 said:   

I lost $15 on AA vs KK who flopped a K, and I lost $25 with AK where I flopped KK8 against 22 who called my $25 all in and rivered 2 and took 25 bucks from me.


...... now I'm struggling with my $10. I don't miss online poker at all.


This reads like you lost to trip 2s with trip Ks. Was the turn a 2 also? I guess it goes without saying, but I read that line 10 times to make sure I wasn't missing something.


trip Ks vs full house = loser


Wow... can you tell I haven't seen the inside of a casino in about 10 years? Geez pretty awful. I'll just go back to my corner now.

Skipping 20 Messages...
Not if you always bet on black - Wesley Snipes



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.