QUICK LINKS
MY ACCOUNT
Cash Pending:
Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

Out of state (FL) speeding ticket NJ license.

First page
1 of 9
MisterEd
1/27/13 8:56 PM
Was in Pembroke Pines FL for the weekend visiting some old folks and got nabbed by radar for 58 in a 45. Can't deny I was speeding but if I was in the middle or left lane I wouldn't have been nabbed (people were flying by me). My first moving violation in my 48yrs of having a drivers license! My ins co (NJ Manufacturers) who I have been with for well over 20 years does NOT charge for violations (but if you get a string of them I'm sure they will spank you somehow) however the state hits you with 2 points for an out of state violation.

Anyway, I am about to pay the (YIKES) $215 ticket but was told there are a lot of FL lawyers who will guarantee 100% getting it kicked down to a non-point violation. You still pay the reduced fine, the lawyer fee AND court costs so my guess is it will cost $400-500 before all is said and done.

BTW, the cops have some gimmick. One sits with a machine that scan's your license and has a built in printer which prints out your own custom designed ticket! I asked him if I could get my grandkids photos printed on the ticket so I could save it as a keepsake. He laughed as he handed me the ticket and said "have a great day here in sunny Florida." They were doing a great business.

There is an option to go to "driving school" and not getting points but being from NJ that wouldn't work.

Is it worth getting the lawyer or should I just take the 2 points here in NJ nd move on? Any FL traffic lawyers here? Any other neg ramifications if I just send 'em the check?
WikiPost
1/27/13 8:56 PM
Kanosh
1/27/13 9:45 PM
No lawyer can guarantee a judicial outcome; my understanding is that it is unethical to claim to do so.
Sorry about the ticket but I don't see any way out of this except paying it.
z4ckm0rris
1/27/13 9:51 PM
I got a speeding ticket for 9 over back in November in Central Fla. I am using The Ticket Clinic to handle it. It looks like they have one in Broward County who could probably handle yours.

Basically, it cost me $80 (or something) up front. They'll handle everything court related and try to get it dismissed. If they can't get it dismissed, they'll get the judge to withhold adjudication so I won't get any points but still may have to pay the court costs, which would most likely be whatever the ticket was for.
TheDiggler
1/27/13 9:51 PM
MisterEd said:   

the state hits you with 2 points for an out of state violation.

To clarify, NJ hits you with 2 points for an out of state moving violation (provided the other state reports the info back to NJ):
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Violations/penalties_otherStates.htm

Anyway, I am about to pay the (YIKES) $215 ticket but was told there are a lot of FL lawyers who will guarantee 100% getting it kicked down to a non-point violation. You still pay the reduced fine, the lawyer fee AND court costs so my guess is it will cost $400-500 before all is said and done.

Do the lawyers guarantee to knock it down to a non-moving violation? If not, then the fact that it's no points in FL will likely have no bearing on whether NJ hits you with its 2 point out of stating moving violation.
jtclin
1/27/13 10:11 PM
1800citation

It does work, no point no traffic school. There are others u can google it.
BEEFjerKAY
1/27/13 10:29 PM
Fight it. If for no reason other than you don't want a prior ticket the next time you get pulled over.

And while it hurts me to say it, if you have had your license for 48 years you are PAST your best days of driving.

Statistically, your likelihood of having another ticket will steadily increase for about the next 15 years. Depending on how you take care of yourself, it may or may not steepen its rate of increase after that.
thehelios
1/28/13 12:28 AM
I don't know why but there are traffic ticket lawyers littering South Florida and they usually have great results. I've had two friends personally use two different companies (ticket clinic and someone else) and they got their tickets dismissed. I foolishly went to court and pleaded no contest and saved about $20 for wasting 4 hours of my life.

The lawyer route wouldn't be too bad of an idea.
JohnPg82
1/28/13 12:45 AM
The ticket clinic might actually be cheaper than the ticket itself.
SUCKISSTAPLES
1/28/13 12:55 AM
Agree to use lawyer /ticket clinic etc to get this down to a non moving violation
First page
1 of 9
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.