• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Was in Pembroke Pines FL for the weekend visiting some old folks and got nabbed by radar for 58 in a 45. Can't deny I was speeding but if I was in the middle or left lane I wouldn't have been nabbed (people were flying by me). My first moving violation in my 48yrs of having a drivers license! My ins co (NJ Manufacturers) who I have been with for well over 20 years does NOT charge for violations (but if you get a string of them I'm sure they will spank you somehow) however the state hits you with 2 points for an out of state violation.

Anyway, I am about to pay the (YIKES) $215 ticket but was told there are a lot of FL lawyers who will guarantee 100% getting it kicked down to a non-point violation. You still pay the reduced fine, the lawyer fee AND court costs so my guess is it will cost $400-500 before all is said and done.

BTW, the cops have some gimmick. One sits with a machine that scan's your license and has a built in printer which prints out your own custom designed ticket! I asked him if I could get my grandkids photos printed on the ticket so I could save it as a keepsake. He laughed as he handed me the ticket and said "have a great day here in sunny Florida." They were doing a great business.

There is an option to go to "driving school" and not getting points but being from NJ that wouldn't work.

Is it worth getting the lawyer or should I just take the 2 points here in NJ nd move on? Any FL traffic lawyers here? Any other neg ramifications if I just send 'em the check?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Not in NJ unless you get lots of points.

MisterEd (May. 14, 2013 @ 7:48p) |

I understand all that and I don't care about paying the fine however it is the NJ POINTS that I am concerned with.

MisterEd (May. 14, 2013 @ 7:50p) |

Cannonball Run?

IamN41 (May. 15, 2013 @ 9:07a) |


No lawyer can guarantee a judicial outcome; my understanding is that it is unethical to claim to do so.
Sorry about the ticket but I don't see any way out of this except paying it.

I got a speeding ticket for 9 over back in November in Central Fla. I am using The Ticket Clinic to handle it. It looks like they have one in Broward County who could probably handle yours.

Basically, it cost me $80 (or something) up front. They'll handle everything court related and try to get it dismissed. If they can't get it dismissed, they'll get the judge to withhold adjudication so I won't get any points but still may have to pay the court costs, which would most likely be whatever the ticket was for.

MisterEd said:   the state hits you with 2 points for an out of state violation.To clarify, NJ hits you with 2 points for an out of state moving violation (provided the other state reports the info back to NJ):
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Violations/penalties_otherStates.htm


Anyway, I am about to pay the (YIKES) $215 ticket but was told there are a lot of FL lawyers who will guarantee 100% getting it kicked down to a non-point violation. You still pay the reduced fine, the lawyer fee AND court costs so my guess is it will cost $400-500 before all is said and done.Do the lawyers guarantee to knock it down to a non-moving violation? If not, then the fact that it's no points in FL will likely have no bearing on whether NJ hits you with its 2 point out of stating moving violation.

1800citation

It does work, no point no traffic school. There are others u can google it.

Fight it. If for no reason other than you don't want a prior ticket the next time you get pulled over.

And while it hurts me to say it, if you have had your license for 48 years you are PAST your best days of driving.

Statistically, your likelihood of having another ticket will steadily increase for about the next 15 years. Depending on how you take care of yourself, it may or may not steepen its rate of increase after that.

I don't know why but there are traffic ticket lawyers littering South Florida and they usually have great results. I've had two friends personally use two different companies (ticket clinic and someone else) and they got their tickets dismissed. I foolishly went to court and pleaded no contest and saved about $20 for wasting 4 hours of my life.

The lawyer route wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

The ticket clinic might actually be cheaper than the ticket itself.

Agree to use lawyer /ticket clinic etc to get this down to a non moving violation

Just to be clear they are not guaranteeing the outcome. Remember that only death and taxes are guaranteed. They are only promising to give you back your money if they don't do what they say they will. Sounds fair to me. I would do it, unless your betting that the 2 points will fall off, before you get caught again.

You should be able to attend school online, should you want to.

I recently got 2 tickets 24hrs apart. One for 88 (IL) and another for 84 (GA). Surprisingly both are "only" about $140 each. I have no intentions of doing any school, points or no points, but recommendations to fight are appreciated.

Florida has an unusual amount of Traffic Lawyers and it usually costs ~$100 if I remember right, but they should reduce your ticket at least $100. Well worth it.

DONT BOTHER WITH A LAWYER. They are all liars! The best way to do this is plead not guilty, but write/send a letter that you are unable to go to the hearing because you live out of state (after you get a hearing date though, but send the letter well in advance of the hearing date). Also be polite in the letter and ask nicely that they reduce the fine to perhaps a parking violation. That worked for me. My speeding ticket with points turned into a slightly more expensive 2x parking on the highway ticket, lol... Just come up with a good story why you were going as fast as you were. Like, you haven't seen a speed limit sign in the area and were going along with traffic speed, or if the speed limits changed on the roads in that area a lot, say that the last sign you saw was for the 55mph limit or something, and reaffirm that you were not very familiar with the area...
You should also definitely mention that you have a spotless driving record of 48years and you would be grateful and give permission for them to check that for themselves.

Paying a slightly higher fine for parking tickets is 100000x better than having points on your license...


And make sure you send the letter to the right place, it may not be the same address where you would have to send your not guilty plea. You may need to send it to the judge directly... (you can call and ask them where you could send a letter because you live out of state and cannot make the hearing)

TheDiggler said:   MisterEd said:   the state hits you with 2 points for an out of state violation.To clarify, NJ hits you with 2 points for an out of state moving violation (provided the other state reports the info back to NJ):
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Violations/penalties_otherStates.htm


Anyway, I am about to pay the (YIKES) $215 ticket but was told there are a lot of FL lawyers who will guarantee 100% getting it kicked down to a non-point violation. You still pay the reduced fine, the lawyer fee AND court costs so my guess is it will cost $400-500 before all is said and done.Do the lawyers guarantee to knock it down to a non-moving violation? If not, then the fact that it's no points in FL will likely have no bearing on whether NJ hits you with its 2 point out of stating moving violation.


Yea, the BOLDED part in your quote was my concern. I'll probably just pay the fine as I did the crime.

BEEFjerKAY said:   Fight it. If for no reason other than you don't want a prior ticket the next time you get pulled over.

And while it hurts me to say it, if you have had your license for 48 years you are PAST your best days of driving.

Statistically, your likelihood of having another ticket will steadily increase for about the next 15 years. Depending on how you take care of yourself, it may or may not steepen its rate of increase after that.
Yikes! I'm "only" 65!

please dont just pay. that would just encourage them to give out more tickets. did you really fully intend on speeding? you were just going with the current traffic speeds right? it was an honest mistake, dont just give away your money. plead not guilty and write the letter like I said.

giving them your money wont make anything better. they will not use it to make the roads better, or to make the area safer, they will use it to hire more cops and in turn stress out the public with increased police presence and more ticketing, less freedom, etc...

JaxFL said:   You should be able to attend school online, should you want to.

I recently got 2 tickets 24hrs apart. One for 88 (IL) and another for 84 (GA). Surprisingly both are "only" about $140 each. I have no intentions of doing any school, points or no points, but recommendations to fight are appreciated.
Yes, that is an option, but to attend school you have to plead "no contest" and they do take away the 3 FL POINT but NOT the violation so NJ will more than likely still hit me wit the 2 pts.

Pay, they need the money. With respect to points, Florida offers class that you will need to pay for and take to have them waived. Not sure if they allow out of state to take them. You may want to google that.

I use a lawyer here in my state that used to be a magistrate so I always get knocked down to impeding traffic 120$ fine lawayer 250$. well worth it considering insurance goes up

In many places, tickets are a form of tourism tax. And "connected attorney" full employment act.

The judges help fund the county, which keeps taxes low, which keeps the judges elected.

The attorneys help fund the judges' election campaigns, which keeps the judges elected.

A scam? Perhaps. Sanctioned bribery? Perhaps. Unavoidable and necessary? Absolutely.

They don't care about what the offense gets called. So long as your money is good.

^^^^ Now THAT was the most logical explanation I've heard anywhere!

freshpl said:   I use a lawyer here in my state that used to be a magistrate so I always get knocked down to impeding traffic 120$ fine lawayer 250$. well worth it considering insurance goes up As stated in my OP, my insurance carrier doesn't increase rates due to tickets (or accidents) so that isn't an issue for me.

BrentCan said:   Pay, they need the money. With respect to points, Florida offers class that you will need to pay for and take to have them waived. Not sure if they allow out of state to take them. You may want to google that. They waive the points in FL but the infraction remains the same (you have to plead no contest) so my guess is MY state (NJ) will still see it as a moving violation and still give me the 2 points they apply for out of state moving violations so there would be no advantage for me to do that.

Use The Ticket Clinic. I am a commercial driver here in Florida. I have't used them, but if I get a ticket (regardless of guilt), I will contact these people.

BEEFjerKAY said:   In many places, tickets are a form of tourism tax. And "connected attorney" full employment act.

The judges help fund the county, which keeps taxes low, which keeps the judges elected.

The attorneys help fund the judges' election campaigns, which keeps the judges elected.

A scam? Perhaps. Sanctioned bribery? Perhaps. Unavoidable and necessary? Absolutely.

They don't care about what the offense gets called. So long as your money is good.


To clarify "So long as your money is good AND an attorney is doing the talking."

That has been my experience in Crook County. If you aren't an attorney, the judge doesn't even pay attention to what you are saying, no matter how right or wrong you are. There is no penalty for them to ignore you.

OP I feel bad for ya. First moving violation in 48 yrs, I would have hoped they would have cut you a break. I guess if this happened in NJ your chances may have been better (resident), but once they (FL cops) saw you were a tourist they really didn't care?

I didn't have time to read any other posts to see if someone already covered this and i'm probably leaving out some details. I'm from sc and got a ticket for a moving violation (improper lane change, which carries points) in miami a couple years back. since it was a first offense(not in general but in fl), i was able to do the driver training class to keep the violation from being recorded, they basically threw it out after completing the training course. i took the course online from home in sc and was emailed the certificate. i don't believe it ever showed up on my record. as far as i know, insurance companies only care about violations, not points, they look at violations on your record to judge risk. state dmv's use the points to track when it's time to suspend someone's license for being a bad driver. accumulate too many points and bye bye drivers license for a little while.

WantTheBest said:   I didn't have time to read any other posts to see if someone already covered this and i'm probably leaving out some details. I'm from sc and got a ticket for a moving violation (improper lane change, which carries points) in miami a couple years back. since it was a first offense(not in general but in fl), i was able to do the driver training class to keep the violation from being recorded, they basically threw it out after completing the training course. i took the course online from home in sc and was emailed the certificate. i don't believe it ever showed up on my record. as far as i know, insurance companies only care about violations, not points, they look at violations on your record to judge risk. state dmv's use the points to track when it's time to suspend someone's license for being a bad driver. accumulate too many points and bye bye drivers license for a little while.According to info listed here, your ticket may have been reported to SC as "adjudication withheld," resulting in no points added to your SC license:

Out of State Drivers License

If you have an out of state drivers license you may still be able to take traffic school also known as Defensive Driving from a Florida accredited school and receive all the same benefits. When drivers complete a driving course Florida closes the case and the status is recorded as adjudication withheld which means you were not found guilty (or innocent) of the infraction. Each state DMV has its own rules. California for example will recognize the adjudication withheld status from Florida and assign no points to California drivers.
Based on the above, it sounds like FL will still report *something* back to the driver's home state. Whether NJ will consider an "adjudication withheld" result as a moving violation is THE QUESTION for the OP to try and find the answer to.

$400-$500 is a lot cheaper than how much your insurance goes up for 3 years for having 2 points in NJ. You might as well take an extra vacation to FL for that price and go pay the fines at your court date, make sure to plead not guilty but I wouldn't bother wasting my time with a lawyer. Not sure what kind of "insurance" you have but they are probably lying as you're a higher risk with tickets and/or accidents, and your rates will go up.

Not to hijack the thread....but any recommendations for a similar service in NY.

I have a motorcycle lane splitting infraction that I want to dispute with a lawyer's help.

wadias said:   Not to hijack the thread....but any recommendations for a similar service in NY.

I have a motorcycle lane splitting infraction that I want to dispute with a lawyer's help.


FYI, New York does not have reciprocal agreement with any state other than Ontario and Quebec

Sorry....didnt mean reciprocal. Just needed a reco for a lawyer/website that will fight a ticket in NYC. I am a resident of NYC too. So all local for me.

mistadeal said:   $400-$500 is a lot cheaper than how much your insurance goes up for 3 years for having 2 points in NJ. You might as well take an extra vacation to FL for that price and go pay the fines at your court date, make sure to plead not guilty but I wouldn't bother wasting my time with a lawyer. Not sure what kind of "insurance" you have but they are probably lying as you're a higher risk with tickets and/or accidents, and your rates will go up.

New Jersey Manufacturers Ins Co does NOT raise your rates for accidents (we have had a few) or tickets. My family has been with them for over 25 years and my daughter has had a number of moving violations and her rates haven't budged a penny. When she was 18 she had an "at fault" accident and it didn't cost me a cent. She is now with them on her own and has had to moving violations without any recourse. I also have their homeowners policy and had a $25,000 claim 2 years ago and it didn't budge either. They are a one of a kind company. In fact, every year I get AT LEAST one dividend check in the mail from them as a refund against my policies. Plus they are the lowest cost insurer in the state. Getting with them is impossible unless the company you have worked for (or own) is a member of the NJBIA and has their coverage. They do have a second "division" called NJ Reinsurance which anyone can get into but you pay through the nose and can easily get kicked out.

Just for fun last year I got quotes from at least 5 major insurance companies for both Auto and Home and NO ONE came within $800 of them.

MisterEd said:   Was in Pembroke Pines FL for the weekend visiting some old folks and got nabbed by radar for 58 in a 45. Can't deny I was speeding but if I was in the middle or left lane I wouldn't have been nabbed (people were flying by me). My first moving violation in my 48yrs of having a drivers license! My ins co (NJ Manufacturers) who I have been with for well over 20 years does NOT charge for violations (but if you get a string of them I'm sure they will spank you somehow) however the state hits you with 2 points for an out of state violation.

Anyway, I am about to pay the (YIKES) $215 ticket but was told there are a lot of FL lawyers who will guarantee 100% getting it kicked down to a non-point violation. You still pay the reduced fine, the lawyer fee AND court costs so my guess is it will cost $400-500 before all is said and done.

BTW, the cops have some gimmick. One sits with a machine that scan's your license and has a built in printer which prints out your own custom designed ticket! I asked him if I could get my grandkids photos printed on the ticket so I could save it as a keepsake. He laughed as he handed me the ticket and said "have a great day here in sunny Florida." They were doing a great business.

There is an option to go to "driving school" and not getting points but being from NJ that wouldn't work.

Is it worth getting the lawyer or should I just take the 2 points here in NJ nd move on? Any FL traffic lawyers here? Any other neg ramifications if I just send 'em the check?


Not sure about FL, but I had a similar situation with an out of state ticket in NC (illegal passing). Started getting lawyer solicitations in the mail within a week. It cost me $50 in legal fees, plus court costs to reduce it to a non-moving violation (improper equipment). Overall the cost was about $100 over what it would take me to pay the ticket. I figured it was worth to avoid the points, since I hop insurance companies quite often. You may want to get a specific quote for your case, $400 seems high for a speeding ticket, especially with no prior record.

BEEFjerKAY said:   In many places, tickets are a form of tourism tax. And "connected attorney" full employment act.

The judges help fund the county, which keeps taxes low, which keeps the judges elected.

The attorneys help fund the judges' election campaigns, which keeps the judges elected.

A scam? Perhaps. Sanctioned bribery? Perhaps. Unavoidable and necessary? Absolutely.

They don't care about what the offense gets called. So long as your money is good.


Taxes are anything but low in South Florida.

I got a speeding ticket in Buffalo NY while visiting Niagara. Googled the court information and called the clerk. He advised me to write a letter to the prosecutor asking for leniency. Basically agreed that I sped 72 in a 60 and he mentioned the prosecutor will help u.
Lo and behold a week later I recieved a form accepting guilt for two parking violations ( $75 X 2) in place of the speeding ticket (185). It was the best deal no lawyer needed

Cannot promise you it will work for u, but won't hurt to call the clerk, especially if it is a small town.

Good luck!

Thanks to the Interstate Driver's Compact, police departments LOVE tourists, because the chances of you fighting a ticket are greatly diminished. As a tourist, it would cost you more to do so than just pay the fine.

Cha-ching!
$afety Fir$t.

I have done the online florida school not to bad, it lets you go back and look for answers, but will not advance until the required time for that section is achieved. You can do it at different times, so 20 min today 30 tomorrow. but you have to get a passing grade and babysit your computer if you finish a section early.

Ditto for 877-CITATION (theticketclinic.com). Their guarantee is not the outcome but that you won't have to pay their fee if you lose. I've unfortunately had to use them twice. Typically with these, the outcome is a pretty hefty court cost fee, adjudication withheld. I've not had to take driving school, but you can take it online.

Skipping 44 Messages...
JaxFL said:   

I recently got 2 tickets 24hrs apart. One for 88 (IL) and another for 84 (GA).


Cannonball Run?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014