• Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
This is why people pay $400k for a tiny condos in Manhattan, New York. They live 2 blocks away from their job.

My rule of thumb is $750-1000/year increase in salary per 1 mile extra of commute. So if you could take a pay cut (either by changing jobs, or by saving money) of $7500/year to shave off 10 miles of your commute, it's worth it (extra free time, saves money on commute costs, less stress, etc).

In LA, there are many, many people with 30-45 mile commutes each way, making $30-45k a year. That is definitely NOT worth the commute, since by standards you might as well not be working and be a lot happier.

For myself, I would never live further than what I can bike to for work and not show up extremely sweaty. The benefits of biking to work FAR outweigh any kind of commute at all (I still have a car for grocery shopping and such).

gpandy said:   
I'm currently stocking away $500/mo into a long-term savings fund.

From 500$ to ($150 + Gas Savings + (2 hours a day for 22 working days a month)) will make it more valuable

Dus10 said:   These are always the things we have to trade for... rarely can you find your ideal housing arrangement at an affordable cost with very limited commute. I currently have a 60 miles round trip and will soon be upping that to 70 miles round trip; it certainly isn't as long as your commute, but I find that it is tolerable for a few reasons: 1) I don't want to move within my metro area... if I move, I am moving to a different metro area and that probably isn't happening for a while, 2) I have a flexible schedule; I don't have to be at work until 9AM and I can leave as early as 3PM, so long as I figure out how to fit in my time, I can adjust my commute to a time with less traffic, and 3) I don't always have to commute; while I don't have a job where I can telecommute always, I try to do so at least 1-2 days per week, which has worked out, so far. Also, I bought and older VW TDI that is getting me nearly 50 mpg (49.18 mpg on the last tank)... so my fuel costs are significantly lower that what you might expect (~$100/month), and I didn't pay a ridiculously inflated price for a hybrid vehicle where I am unlikely to receive any ROI.

Of course, I loved the idea of a 24 hour gym membership and living in the car. If I were single and without children, I wouldn't mind living like a pauper... or even a bad neighborhood, for that matter... but that is just my nature. I have always thought about doing this as a backup strategy in the event of a power failure (I have had two extended power outages due to storms... 14 days for one and 7 days for another). Now, if you find a job that offers a gym membership as a perk or has a work gym and washing facilities, you don't even have to pay for that membership. Of course, with that situation, finding a rent situation like you already have, just closer to work would likely become extremely tolerable by comparison.

@bassmanben - I don't even get the reference...

He is talking about the Vanilla faces.

Do you live with anyone? Serious girlfriend or anything that keeps you so far away?

Every city is different. Also, commute time differs when you're actually driving at-speed or driving <10mph average because of thick traffic. Some cities simply have much worse roads and traffic problems - in which case, I'd strive to live as close as possible to reduce commute time in such an environment.

You guys complain too much. My high school was 2.5 hours away by train. Imagine a teen on the train for 5/hours a day for 4 years! Of course I slept the whole way, each way, most of the time, lol. All for the benefit of a better education in NYC. It was only 1 train, from one end to the other....
Was it worth it? NOPE! Would never do that again or allow my kids to go through that EVER!

olvrtw said:   You guys complain too much. My high school was 2.5 hours away by train. Imagine a teen on the train for 5/hours a day for 4 years! Of course I slept the whole way, each way, most of the time, lol. All for the benefit of a better education in NYC. It was only 1 train, from one end to the other....
Was it worth it? NOPE! Would never do that again or allow my kids to go through that EVER!

That is insane.

arch8ngel said:   olvrtw said:   You guys complain too much. My high school was 2.5 hours away by train. Imagine a teen on the train for 5/hours a day for 4 years! Of course I slept the whole way, each way, most of the time, lol. All for the benefit of a better education in NYC. It was only 1 train, from one end to the other....

That is insane.

Insane, indeed... that doesn't diminish other's situations though. But, wow.

motuwallet said:   You should take steps to enter a skilled profession and/or move to a low cost of living area

This is the key aspect. If $350 a month are making a huge change to your savings rate, OP should consider investing in entering a line of work that will pay more.

I would not live more than 15 minutes away from work.It used to take about 1 hour at my old place.
90 minutes extra time during the week is a lot.

Quality of life is priceless. But an extra $700 can change my mind if that's what you are asking..

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014