• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Need your advice my FW brothers.

Chronology of Events:

12/06/12 Traded in my 12 Passat S for a 13 Tiguan S during VW's Sign & Drive event. Lease payment $442 a month for 42 months. $0 down. My FICO was 670.

3-4 weeks later. I call the dealership wondering why they have not paid off my trade yet. My sales rep assured me that it has been paid off because they've sold it to an older lady right after christmas.

5 weeks later, My cedit monitoring service alerts me of a 30-Day late remark on my report for the Passat. Dropped my FICO to 615. I immediately called VW Credit to appeal but they told me that I am still responsible for the loan regardless of what the dealership does with my deal. So I call my sales rep complaining about it and he said that he will bring it up to his manager. Sales rep at this point is inutile.

5-6 weeks later. Manager calls to tell me that we have to restructure the deal and I need to come in to sign a new contract. He said the dealership is losing too much money on it and that VW Credit would not approve the lease under current terms. He also said that I need to buy the extended warranty to make it numbers "line up right" for approval.

6th week. Went in after work and grudgingly signed a new contract. New lease payment $433 for 48 months. Sorta glad that my payment went down even if I extended the lease for 48 months and I got the "consolation" ext. warranty contract. Went home with a dejected feeling.

6-7th week. Registration and plates arrive in the mail and lease with account number appears on my VW Credit On-line account. At this point I thought it was finally over.

7th week. General Manager of the dealership calls me and wants me to come back in to unwind the deal or sign a new contract for $466 a month for 48 months. He said the manager made a mistake and that is the only way he could get it approved. I called VW Credit to verify this. VW Credit told me that everything is in order and that they don't see a problem. I decided to tell them the experience at the dealership by complaining. Followed-up yesterday and they told me that they've left two messages for the General Manager to call them back to no response.

Today, the same General Manager left me a voicemail in a threatening tone to come in to sign a new contract or return the Tiguan and get my trade (Passat) back. WTH? Thought I'd get advice on this forum before I make my next move. Thanks and I appreciate your time reading this post.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
10 bucks says he/she is now leasing a 2013 Touareg S for $869/mo for 144 months.

Quikboy4 (Feb. 08, 2013 @ 6:07p) |

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr35.htm
I think that this portion may be relevant "Auto Financing Fee Cap... (more)

imsparty (Mar. 01, 2013 @ 7:41p) |

OP, what are the specs for your vehicle?
I contacted the dealer(that you leased)and got a quote for purchase.
Some informa... (more)

imsparty (Mar. 01, 2013 @ 8:22p) |

Cardinale Way Volkswagen
2603 Wardlow Rd
Corona, CA 92882
866-925-1512
http://www.vwcorona.com
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

local channel TV reporters would be more than interested to report this...

So:
1) They sell your old car to an old lady.
2) You agree to sign a second contract (even though VW was bound by the terms of the first contract). You increase payments to them by over $2000
3) They want to make you sign a third contract.. (like they were not bound by the second contract)
4) Somehow, magically, they have your car.. which they sold to the old lady.

Not to be rude, but quiet frankly, you are stupid for signing that second contract.
If they dont pay you the money for the trade in, you could have sued them, and probably won.
Heck.. you still can do something about it. Stand your ground. Make them responsible for agreeing and signing the second contract. They are bound by it's terms. If they threaten you, sue them.

Try The Consumerist.

KayK said:    you are stupid for signing that second contract.

Agreed....and doesn't make a lot of sense. You said you called VW credit other times....but not the time before you signed the second contact and after the dealership said you "weren't" approved under the first contract ??

Has the dealership paid the passat off? Call whoever financed that to see if they have or haven't. The tough talk is likely just talk.

Take back you old car and give them back the SUV. If you do decide to keep the SUV, you generally have rights to cancel the extended warranty anyway (read your contract).

Fiasco from day one. Why would you trade in a 12 for a 13? Why would you pay $440+/month for a vehicle? Why would you sign a second contract? Your credit obviously has issues so I don't see any legit reason for leasing a new car.

OP must be new to FWF. "trade in" 2012 (probably underwater) for leasing 2013. OP is a dealer's dream customer.

I might as mention Crown Vic, FTW.

eta: oh, save that voice mail!

Please make sure that you have a copy of contracts 1 and 2. Do not sign any more contracts.

BananaQ said:   Need your advice my FW brothers.
Today, the same General Manager left me a voicemail in a threatening tone to come in to sign a new contract or return the Tiguan and get my trade (Passat) back

Do this. Only deal with kababayan next time, not kanos.

If I were you I would call the general manager back and take him up on the offer to trade the Tiguan back in for the Passat. When they refuse and say you're already under contract tell them you have a voicemail with them telling you you can cancel the deal and walk away with your Passat. You made a horrible deal here and never should have signed the second contract. Get your old car back and then we'll talk about 1) if you should buy or lease or keep your same car, 2) how not to get ripped off by car dealers. Geez, even the dealer must feel bad for you, by offering you your old car back.

Crooked dealers and dumb customers that will rollover for a new contract...

good sales experience & dealserhip are mutually exclusive.

rooms222 said:   Take back you old car and give them back the SUV. If you do decide to keep the SUV, you generally have rights to cancel the extended warranty anyway (read your contract).

Start getting everything in writing. Stop talking to them on the phone. Stop going in to the dealership. If your previous lease is paid off, and your new lease in valid with the credit people, tell the dealership to pound sand. Make sure you have your lease paperwork, confirmation from VW credit saying the lease is valid, and your registration. Keep copies of everything, just in case they decide to try to repo the car, which isn't unheard of. If they do, you've probably got a pretty good case. VW credit will want to get involved at some point.

Another option, of course, is to return the car like they said, but make sure they actually have your car (make sure you can see it), and it is in the same condition as you left it to them. A dealership not making enough money on a deal isn't a reason to call you back and sign something else. In fact, they did it the second time just because it worked the first time. So stop doing that.

If you want to keep the car, I'd advise that you 'return' the purchase of the extended warranty. That's an option that is protected by law in many states, and probably yours too. Usually have 30 or 60 days. No questions asked, doesn't matter why, you don't need a reason. Shouldn't really matter that you rolled it into your lease. If you can return it, you'll be looking to get back that $2000. Don't do this is person, they'll be mighty pissed about it. Just do it in writing, and follow up in a week. They might need you to sign something, and you can do that by mail too. If they insist on you coming in to the dealership, tell them to show you the contract language that requires an in person signature.

So you've been driving around for 7 weeks without plates? I thought the temp dealer tags were only good for 30 days, tops.

Also, and you should look in your state, in many states there are laws that specifically state you can not be required to purchase an extended warranty to get a special deal, approval, etc. At the dealership I've been to a couple times, there's a huge sign in the finance guy's office that has all the state laws, and this is one of them.

Might try this:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/civil/civ1794_41.htm

Looks like you have 60 days for a full refund. After that, you get pro-rated, but still can get the refund.

Glitch99 said:   So you've been driving around for 7 weeks without plates? I thought the temp dealer tags were only good for 30 days, tops.

90 days in Illinois.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I thought they sold your trade in "after Christmas" -- so how the hell would you give the new VW back and take your old one?

BananaQ said:   Lease payment $442 a month for 42 months. $0 down. My FICO was 670.

6th week. Went in after work and grudgingly signed a new contract. New lease payment $433 for 48 months. Sorta glad that my payment went down even if I extended the lease for 48 months and I got the "consolation" ext. warranty contract. Went home with a dejected feeling.

Today, the same General Manager left me a voicemail in a threatening tone to come in to sign a new contract or return the Tiguan and get my trade (Passat) back. WTH? Thought I'd get advice on this forum before I make my next move. Thanks and I appreciate your time reading this post.

I'll make an alternate suggestion from others. Since you are glad your payment went down $11/month (even though the total cost is over $2k more), I think you should suggest another $11/month decrease in the payment and extend the terms to 60 months? See if they'll work that deal for you.

trekwars2000 said:   BananaQ said:   Lease payment $442 a month for 42 months. $0 down. My FICO was 670.

I'll make an alternate suggestion from others. Since you are glad your payment went down $11/month (even though the total cost is over $2k more), I think you should suggest another $11/month decrease in the payment and extend the terms to 60 months? See if they'll work that deal for you.

If you get $11/mo off for every 6 month extension and the dealership will let you extend it by another 240 or so months, your lease will be free. Next time the dealership asks you to re-sign the papers, offer them the compromise of a 237 month lease at $0/month.....please let us know how that goes. You're not really being any more unreasonable than they are in asking you to re-sign.....

You're in CA? Call the DMV Investigations Bureau. I had a problem with a dealer once, and one phone call from the DMV Investigations Bureau to inquire about it resulted in a complete attitude readjustment from the dealership manager.

How can you get your Passat back if they already sold it to an old lady?

suezyque said:   Fiasco from day one. Why would you trade in a 12 for a 13? Why would you pay $440+/month for a vehicle? Why would you sign a second contract? Your credit obviously has issues so I don't see any legit reason for leasing a new car.

Not very smart to trade in 2012 model for 2013...especially when the credit score is not so great. No wonder this dealership is taking him for a joy ride.

trekwars2000 said:   BananaQ said:   Lease payment $442 a month for 42 months. $0 down. My FICO was 670.

Are you on a crack? Why would you want to lease a vehicle for 5 years? Makes no sense to extend to 60 months to save $11 per month. Car would have depreciated so much that it's not even worth $11 savings. You must be a car dealer to suggest something like this.

See my thread for an idea of who to contact. I didn't see what state you are in, but they'll go after the dealership.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1191374/

I sense the farce is strong with this one.

Glitch99 said:   So you've been driving around for 7 weeks without plates? I thought the temp dealer tags were only good for 30 days, tops.
I've driven using the dealer advertising plate for years

And I didn't even buy from the dealer

I haven't read the entire thread, but I thought they sold your trade in "after Christmas" -- so how the hell would you give the new VW back and take your old one?

- just wait for a thread titled 'Old lady from Corona who is being asked to return her Passat'

you got dehorsed... yes that is an actual term, google it.
you were stupid to not contact an attorney the second something smelled fishy.
now that you signed the contract probably not much you can do, but I would still contact an attorney.

1. Decide what you want to do - Keep the new SUV at your current contract price or get your old passat back
2. If you want your old passat back then go get it
3. If you want to keep the current deal then stop talking to Anyone on the phone - send three written letters certified mail:
A. To the DMV investigation bureau
B. to vw credit
C. To vw corporate headquarters

Include a copy of your current contract and a screen printout of the lease showing up on your computer. Keep it short and simple and in ONE sentence say "the dealership has called you to increase the contract price and terms three times , and has failed to payoff your trade in , damaging your credit . "

That's all you need to do. Tell anyone who calls you that all communication must be in writing so you can show it to your lawyer.

Yep, report them to the DMV.

Problem solved.

Well I would have cried foul after the first call back.

Only thing to possibly save the deal is to go over the GM. Or get VW of America involved, but they don't always care about bad dealers.

From the sound of the deal though, you may find it lucky if you can simply unwind it.

When I bought my wife's car, the dealership called me the next day and told me that I couldn't pick up the car, that there was a problem... a problem that was probably going to cost me about $1,500.

In the end I got the car after creating a problem for the dealership... a problem that cost them around $4,500.

Crazytree said:   When I bought my wife's car, the dealership called me the next day and told me that I couldn't pick up the car, that there was a problem... a problem that was probably going to cost me about $1,500.

In the end I got the car after creating a problem for the dealership... a problem that cost them around $4,500.

Do tell

I was referred to the dealership by a wealthy client. I signed the paperwork for the car, and was going to have it delivered the next day as a surprise for my wife.

Get a call that night from the salesman telling me that they sold my car to someone else, that the contracts we signed were not worth the paper they were written on, etc. But they could get me a similar car for $XXXX more.

I went berserk and started to make threats. I told the client that referred me, and he called up the salesman and made some rather genuine threats.

Next day they had me come in and the manager was there to shake my hand with the same color car, but a substantially upgraded package. Wheels, seats, everything.

The end.

Crazytree said:   When I bought my wife's car, the dealership called me the next day and told me that I couldn't pick up the car, that there was a problem... a problem that was probably going to cost me about $1,500.

what was the problem you created?

With this deal it looks like you are paying 20,784 to rent a car for 4 years that would only cost 23,000 to buy. You also bought an extended warranty on a leased car that will be under factory warranty for the 3 of the 4 years of your lease. I don't know if there is anything you can do to reverse your current deal, but next time spend a few hours on google before you go to buy a car.

Skipping 100 Messages...
OP, what are the specs for your vehicle?
I contacted the dealer(that you leased)and got a quote for purchase.
Some information regarding you inquiry
Show Details
"Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your interest in the 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan! I would be happy to provide you with a quote on that vehicle as well as a couple similar models on hand. We will be contacting you shortly to discuss your interest and provide you with some additional information:

MSRP:$26,105.00
Your Special CardinaleWay VW Internet Pricing: $23,780.00*
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan 2WD 4dr Auto S *Ltd Avail*

Internet Price: $26,105
VIN: WVGAV7AX4DW543392
Stock: V5049
Style: 2WD Sport Utility Vehicles
Engine:
Transmission: 6-Speed A/T"

Jeff, here are a couple additional vehicle options that may interest you:
Your Special CardinaleWay VW Internet Pricing: $25,580.00*
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan 2WD 4dr Auto S w/Sunroof

Internet Price: $27,905 (MSRP)
VIN: WVGAV3AX7DW575908
Stock: V5111
Style: 2WD Sport Utility Vehicles
Engine:
Transmission: 6-Speed A/
For a quick quote click here http://www.vwcorona.com/QuickQuoteForm zip code is 92882

see http://www.navyfederalautobuying.com/new_cars/buildvehicle.aspx?...

also see
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
SE 4Motion

Exterior: White Gold Metallic
Interior: Black
Stock# O3527100
VIN# WVGBV7AX0DW527100
$30,550*

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014