• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just want to see what you other experts here are doing. Daily I see security breaches on major websites (today it was the new York times hacked by China). Are you guys doing any form of identity theft protection? Is it really worth it or just a scare tactic (similar to that of an extended warranty). Let me know your thoughts....

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Those companies don't do anything you cannot and should be doing yourself.

Credit report monitoring, actually looking at all your bank and credit card statements line by line and not just the totals.

Whatever you do, don't get Lifelock.

First of all, no identify theft program can prevent it from happening. All they can do is alert you that is has already occured and/or provide some basic assistance if it has happened. Knowing the day after it happens or two months later honestly are probably going to make little difference in the amount of work you need to do.

Sign up for some sort of free credit monitoring (creditkarma, for example) if you want. Check your credit report once or twice a year, check your credit card statements monthly, things like that.

Toss your $20/mo in to a seperate savings account. Even if once every 5 years someone steals your identity (which would mean you are rather unlucky), you will have $1,200 to assist you in clearing it up. Which will be a police report, some credit disputes, phone calls, etc.

vipercon said:   First of all, no identify theft program can prevent it from happening. All they can do is alert you that is has already occured and/or provide some basic assistance if it has happened. Knowing the day after it happens or two months later honestly are probably going to make little difference in the amount of work you need to do.

Sign up for some sort of free credit monitoring (creditkarma, for example) if you want. Check your credit report once or twice a year, check your credit card statements monthly, things like that.

Toss your $20/mo in to a seperate savings account. Even if once every 5 years someone steals your identity (which would mean you are rather unlucky), you will have $1,200 to assist you in clearing it up. Which will be a police report, some credit disputes, phone calls, etc.

Wondering how can you check your report couple of times a year? AnnualCreditReport is once a year so you'd get a paid report from somewhere else? I use CreditK@arma but want to pull paid reports for Exp and EFX as well. Any ideas?

Yes, annualcreditreport is once a year. If I were to pay for a second one I would get it from the company directly (single report, not part of a monitoring plan). You can actually get unlimited equifax and experian reports for free. I don't want to go in to details on this post, but when you go to dispute information from your report it pulls up a fresh copy of your report each time. Figure out a way to use that to get free reports.

I froze my accounts with all 3 credit bureaus, there is a $10 to freeze each and $10 to unfreeze each time (fees vary depending on which state you live in). i don't mind it. How often do you buy a vehicle or house? And I check my cc statements etc.

ach1199 said:   Wondering how can you check your report couple of times a year?

Also, some states allow one in addition to the feds.

propcgamer said:   ach1199 said:   Wondering how can you check your report couple of times a year?

Also, some states allow one in addition to the feds.

annualcreditreport allows one per year per CRA, so you can check your credit 3 times/yr. for free.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.