• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Called and they said no early closure fee, so you're good to close as soon as bonus hits.

Ads by Google
rated:
depreshun said:   Is anyone else concerned about the wording? "Open your first new personal checking account by 2/28/13.". I have had checking accounts with them in the past for bonuses, the last being a few years ago. The "first new" verbage has me concerned but I am going to give it a shot anyways. They go on to say "Primary account holder may not be or have been a primary or secondary signer on any personalchecking account within the previous six months." so I am prepared to go to battle for my bonus lol.

Also, when I tried in 2011 (never opened account) - and again this time - the account cannot be set up online. The application halts and requires that I snail mail a copy of driver's license and a utility bill. After their acceptance, the account still cannot be funded online. Per a call to them, I must go to a branch to fund the account. The lady also acknowledged their archaic process and advised me that she would pass along my comments.

I received my 2nd bonus from them with no issues.

rated:
Got in on the $175 that is out now for Charter One http://www.charterone.com/promotions/checking-offer/cobWelcome.h...

Got an email invitation through the site with a promotion code. Called in to open account. There was an equifax hard pull and I was able to fund $1000 with Chase Freedom. Charge posted today as a purchase and not cash advance. Now just waiting for my account info to arrive.

rated:
can you sign up for this and the citizens one, since charter is a subsidiary?

rated:
Is it worthwhile at all to keep the account opened past the date that they gave the bonus? Do you think that it will create any good targeted offers?

rated:
Since Working for Citizens i've found that you get alot more web offers if you keep your account past the date when the promo hits your account. For reference purposes one way to avoid monthly maintenance fee is the 5 Transactions. you can just take $100 out of the atm $20 at a time and that satifies the 5 transactions. Also if you swipe your card just 5 times a month the account (not an issue if this is your primary card) comes at no cost. They don't go through Chexsystems so if you owe another bank besides Citizens you can still open an Account with them. All in All its a good deal and they keep them coming. If you do the homework you'll see it's a no brainer.

rated:
nychawaii said:   Since Working for Citizens i've found that you get alot more web offers if you keep your account past the date when the promo hits your account. For reference purposes one way to avoid monthly maintenance fee is the 5 Transactions. you can just take $100 out of the atm $20 at a time and that satifies the 5 transactions. Also if you swipe your card just 5 times a month the account (not an issue if this is your primary card) comes at no cost. They don't go through Chexsystems so if you owe another bank besides Citizens you can still open an Account with them. All in All its a good deal and they keep them coming. If you do the homework you'll see it's a no brainer.
  You work for Citizens?  Can you get my checking account re-opened?  It was closed for undisclosed reasons.  

rated:
nychawaii said:   Since Working for Citizens i've found that you get alot more web offers if you keep your account past the date when the promo hits your account. For reference purposes one way to avoid monthly maintenance fee is the 5 Transactions. you can just take $100 out of the atm $20 at a time and that satifies the 5 transactions. Also if you swipe your card just 5 times a month the account (not an issue if this is your primary card) comes at no cost. They don't go through Chexsystems so if you owe another bank besides Citizens you can still open an Account with them. All in All its a good deal and they keep them coming. If you do the homework you'll see it's a no brainer.
 Do you think I could get the coveted 10% CashBack for 90 days credit card offer if I keep the checking account open?

Have there been any recent sightings of this offer?

rated:
Hi they still have a $150 offer until November 29. Does it matter whether you choose Personal Checking Account with Interest, or Green Checking? The interest one seems better as long as you do 5 transactions/month.

rated:
I know this thread is not an exact match, but figured it would be of interest for those that have maintained their Citizens checking accounts.

It seems that sometime over the weekend, Citizens has eliminated their Green Checking product (where you needed 5 debit transactions to waive the $9.99 fee).  They've introduced the "One Deposit Checking" account, where the fee is now waived with a deposit or inbound transfer of any size.

http://www.citizensbank.com/checking/one-deposit-checking-accoun...

Existing account holders will need to call and do a product change from Green Checking.  This simplifies my life, as the 5 bogus debit transactions was becoming a bit of a hassle...

rated:
I just opened the Citizens account to use for money order deposits - no bonus, but you can fund up to $1k with a credit card.

I used Barclay's Arrival, hopefully won't post as a cash advance.

rated:
HotSalami said:   I know this thread is not an exact match, but figured it would be of interest for those that have maintained their Citizens checking accounts.

It seems that sometime over the weekend, Citizens has eliminated their Green Checking product (where you needed 5 debit transactions to waive the $9.99 fee).  They've introduced the "One Deposit Checking" account, where the fee is now waived with a deposit or inbound transfer of any size.

http://www.citizensbank.com/checking/one-deposit-checking-accoun... 

Existing account holders will need to call and do a product change from Green Checking.  This simplifies my life, as the 5 bogus debit transactions was becoming a bit of a hassle...

Why did you do 5 bogus debit transactions? For Green Checking, as long as you made 5 or more payment transactions (online billpay, checks, debit card purchases, ATM withdrawals, auto- billpay) each month, Citizens waived the $9.99 maintenance fee. Just pay a bill in 5 increments or write 5 checks to yourself and deposit them each month, and you're fee free. NVM, One Deposit Checking sounds simpler; 1 deposit each month.

rated:
Stupid question - but is this legitimately an interest payment?
I got a 1099 from Citizens - but these payments for customer activities don't appear to qualify as Interest
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-1099-INT,-Interest-Income

Thoughts?

rated:
Ok - did some more reading...
It's not an interest payment.
But it is a 1099-MISC payment.

Curious/thinking on how I should report this....

rated:
camiolo said:   Stupid question - but is this legitimately an interest payment?
I got a 1099 from Citizens - but these payments for customer activities don't appear to qualify as Interest

Other income on your 1040. Line 21 i think.

Thoughts?

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   
camiolo said:   Stupid question - but is this legitimately an interest payment?

Other income on your 1040. Line 21 i think.

Thoughts?

Technically, the bonus is income. If the bank filed a 1099-INT, then you should report it as such. The Instructions for Form 1099-INT states: "Box 1: Interest Income; Enter interest not included in box 3. Include amounts of $10 or more, whether or not designated as interest, that are paid or credited to the person's account by savings and loan associations, mutual savings banks not having capital stock represented by shares, building and loan associations, cooperative banks, homestead associations, credit unions, or similar organizations..." Most banks report bonuses on 1099-INT forms; and you report this on your 1040, line 8a, taxable income. However, a bank may report the bonus on a 1099-MISC form; in which you would report this on 1040, line 21, other income. And, if you received a bank bonus but no 1099 Forms or other tax form, then you still must report the income.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014