• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
"The TaxAct Electronic Filing Department received a Federal electronic return for XXXXXX. Due to recent tax law changes, the IRS has delayed processing of all electronic and paper returns for those taxpayers claiming the following deductions:

Form 3800 General Business Credit
Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels
Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization (Including Information on Listed Property)
Form 5074 Allocation of Individual Income Tax to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
Form 5471 Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations
Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits
Form 5735 American Samoa Economic Development Credit
Form 5884 Work Opportunity Credit
Form 6478 Credit for Alcohol Used as Fuel
Form 6765 Credit for Increasing Research Activities
Form 8396 Mortgage Interest Credit
Form 8582 Passive Activity Loss Limitations
Form 8820 Orphan Drug Credit
Form 8834 Qualified Plug-in Electric and Electric Vehicle Creditl
Form 8839 Qualified Adoption Expenses
Form 8844 Empowerment Zone and Renewal Community Employment Credit
Form 8845 Indian Employment Credit
Form 8859 District of Columbia First-Time Homebuyer Credit
Form 8864 Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Fuels Credit
Form 8874 New Markets Credits
Form 8900 Qualified Railroad Track Maintenance Credit
Form 8903 Domestic Production Activities Deduction
Form 8908 Energy Efficient Home Credit
Form 8909 Energy Efficient Appliance Credit
Form 8910 Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit
Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit
Form 8912 Credit to Holders of Tax Credit Bonds
Form 8923 Mine Rescue Team Training Credit
Form 8932 Credit for Employer Differential Wage Payments
Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit

If you filed your Federal and State returns together, the IRS requires that TaxAct hold your return for processing until late February or into March. A specific date will be announced by the IRS in the future. TaxAct will submit your return for immediate processing as soon as the IRS begins accepting returns with the above deductions. For this reason, please do not re-submit your federal return a second time in TaxAct. No action is required by you."

Sucks my residential energy credit is holding up my return, all $50 of it. If you haven't filed yet it might be worth it to avoid claiming above credits and filing an amended return later. One of my two state returns was also held up, apparently CA doesn't care though and that one went through.

Searched and didn't see a similar thread.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

" Targeting taxpayers for audit is a major factor behind the IRS's push for e-filing.
E-filed returns are available for... (more)

dragob (Mar. 04, 2013 @ 10:55p) |

No more delays in processing now.

Open the flood gates

fedguy (Mar. 05, 2013 @ 9:21p) |

I have been filing with TaxAct for over 4 yrs now (once my returns $ matches with TurboTax), as TaxAct been little cheap... (more)

IndianInUSA (Mar. 27, 2013 @ 4:13p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks for posting this, I've been wondering when the are finally ready

Don't see educational credits from Form 8863 on your list, but they're also affected by a later filing date.

IRS Link

And from what I hear, so are calculated table amounts of state and local sales taxes for those that itemize in states without an income tax. It was expired at the end of 2011, but was re-upped with the fiscal cliff so they had to update.

So if you itemize, and you're in a state without income tax and you therefore take the sales tax deduction instead, watch out for that one, too.

If only I had all of my paperwork to begin the filing process.

OP - if you had a small credit on the list, you could file without it and amend to get it later. That might get you your refund sooner, all but the credit portion.

My drugged up Samoan orphan adoption tax scheme is going to hold up my refund this year, but as long as I don't owe any taxes, I'm willing to wait for their big check to me.

tennis8363 said:   If only I had all of my paperwork to begin the filing process.Even if you think you have all the paperwork, don't file yet!

Seriously folks, don't file your return for another month or so. Every year, this board is full of posts from people that got a corrected W-2 or a corrected 1099 or a 1099 for something they forgot about, and then they are asking about how to file an amended return.

File your tax return in March or April like the rest of us procrastinators.

BTW - You might change your title. This has nothing to do with TaxAct in particular. The same notice is actually on the IRS website:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/List-of-IRS-forms-that-1040-filers-can-begin-filing-in-late-February-or-into-March-2013

Thanks OP. My first year of getting the education credit "could" hold me up but since Schwab has already stated it will be mid Feb. before I get my tax documents, I guess it doesn't hurt that much.

I wonder how much Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Taxpayer is paying the IRS to do everything twice because our Congress critters couldn't work together enough to pass this in a much more timely manner?

dcwilbur said:   tennis8363 said:   If only I had all of my paperwork to begin the filing process.Even if you think you have all the paperwork, don't file yet!

Seriously folks, don't file your return for another month or so. Every year, this board is full of posts from people that got a corrected W-2 or a corrected 1099 or a 1099 for something they forgot about, and then they are asking about how to file an amended return.

BTW - You might change your title. This has nothing to do with TaxAct in particular. The same notice is actually on the IRS website:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/List-of-IRS-forms-that-1040-filers-can-begin-filing-in-late-February-or-into-March-2013

QFT and Green. This has bit me one time and nearly got me a 2nd time (I held up hitting the file button in the morning and received another forgotten tax document in the mail that afternoon - last year). I did have to file a 1040X for $50.00 worth of dividends for the year before last.

I knew that Mine Rescue Team Training was a bad idea. NEWMAN!

I remember a few years ago I was filing my taxes around this time and a couple of morons here accused me of being on welfare and trying to file as soon as possible to get my Earned Income Credit.

dcwilbur said:   tennis8363 said:   If only I had all of my paperwork to begin the filing process.Even if you think you have all the paperwork, don't file yet!

I got a corrected W-2 on april 20. A week after I filed. A... holes!

Lucked out, none of those forms affect me and I'll have my refund by Tuesday.

Note: The mortgage interest credit form listed is entirely different than the mortgage interest deduction most homeowners take.

Crazytree said:   I remember a few years ago I was filing my taxes around this time and a couple of morons here accused me of being on welfare and trying to file as soon as possible to get my Earned Income Credit.

I have all my tax forms and would actually like to file now however the Adoption Tax Credit is one of the things being delayed this year. For the first time ever I will get most of my federal income tax liability for this year back as a result of that credit. Guess that is kinda like welfare too.

If you are filing as early as possible to get money back then you are doing it wrong.

I usually file early....my refund is typically my IRA fund for the year. I file an amended return in early April to get back anyhing I missed by filing early.

lampy2k4 said:   If you are filing as early as possible to get money back then you are doing it wrong.

Yes, it's beyond ludicrous that someone might want their slight overpayment back in the next couple of weeks. Filing later and finally receiving the money of a few months from now is a much better idea.

chibimike said:   Lucked out, none of those forms affect me and I'll have my refund by Tuesday.

Note: The mortgage interest credit form listed is entirely different than the mortgage interest deduction most homeowners take.

Oh good I was wondering about that.

donotdrinkPBR said:   lampy2k4 said:   If you are filing as early as possible to get money back then you are doing it wrong.Yes, it's beyond ludicrous that someone might want their slight overpayment back in the next couple of weeks. Filing later and finally receiving the money of a few months from now is a much better idea.No, but reducing your withholding to avoid getting a refund is a much better idea.

dcwilbur said:   Seriously folks, don't file your return for another month or so. Every year, this board is full of posts from people that got a corrected W-2 or a corrected 1099 or a 1099 for something they forgot about, and then they are asking about how to file an amended return.

Precisely. Regardless of the software package that you end up using, I would strongly encourage you to wait a while before you finalize your return and file. Every single year we have threads springing up along the lines of "oh no, I filed last week and now a 1099 for bank interest that I forgot all about just showed up. I now have to amend the return."

Even more importantly, every single year every tax software package has a number of patches that get applied in February and March. While most of the patches don't really affect the final result for most people, some patches can and do. For the past few years, for instance, I've noticed some things that TurboTax wasn't handling correctly and gotten TurboTax to patch it up. In one of those instances, the resulting swing in our tax liability was about $1,000.

When is it generally considered "safe" to file? Late March?

I just had my state return rejected because TaxAct entered a number
like this: -1079
instead of like this: (1079)

Annoying

dcwilbur said:   donotdrinkPBR said:   lampy2k4 said:   If you are filing as early as possible to get money back then you are doing it wrong.Yes, it's beyond ludicrous that someone might want their slight overpayment back in the next couple of weeks. Filing later and finally receiving the money of a few months from now is a much better idea.No, but reducing your withholding to avoid getting a refund is a much better idea.

I fully agree, with one exception. If you can figure out how to pay taxes with a credit card that will pay rewards having a greater value than the fee you will pay, you might want to overpay your taxes. I wouldn't go overboard with this, because paying estimated taxes of $100K when you have W-2 income of $80K can attract undesired attention. Back in the days of the 5% for 90 days Citi Cash Returns card, I suspect there were quite a few on FWF who paid a generous amount with their final estimated tax payment a few weeks before filing for a substantial refund.

aznshadoboy77 said:   When is it generally considered "safe" to file? Late March?The vast majority of the patches and corrections take place in February (nothing generally happens in January, as many tax forms don't even become final until the end of January) and some are done in March. Hence, late March tends to be pretty safe. Early April is even safer.

That list reminds me why I despise .gov

Because of the energy credit (a whole $9) my refund is waiting to be accepted. My question is, am I able to go back and just delete that or do I literally have to wait until the IRS accepts it? It's a shame that my refund is being held hostage because of $9.00!!!

heyitsmephant said:   Because of the energy credit (a whole $9) my refund is waiting to be accepted. My question is, am I able to go back and just delete that or do I literally have to wait until the IRS accepts it? It's a shame that my refund is being held hostage because of $9.00!!!

Your return is in "suspense" status when it has a schedule that is not ready for "prime time" processing. The only way to change it is to break into the server or file folder that has your return and to delete it. The other option is to file an amended return, but that processing for those types are placed further behind all of the other returns. You can also send a "duplicate" return, but that is more likely to muddle the tax year processing for your SSN because the later one may get processed faster and then your earlier submission will eventually get processed and then get flagged as a duplicate. That might place a "flag" on your tax records.

IRS will accept returns with Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 8863 (Education Credits) starting next week.

IRS news

geo123 said:   aznshadoboy77 said:   When is it generally considered "safe" to file? Late March?The vast majority of the patches and corrections take place in February (nothing generally happens in January, as many tax forms don't even become final until the end of January) and some are done in March. Hence, late March tends to be pretty safe. Early April is even safer.Funny... that is the verbatim language used by the other account that used to stalk me on here...

Anyone have any updates? No movement on my return yet.

Or do an extension and file it 6 months after date like true procrastinators (just make sure you paid in enough taxes)

heyitsmephant said:   Because of the energy credit (a whole $9) my refund is waiting to be accepted. My question is, am I able to go back and just delete that or do I literally have to wait until the IRS accepts it? It's a shame that my refund is being held hostage because of $9.00!!!

same here...and no movement on IRS side at all..

Darn. I knew I should have held off on getting that mine rescue team training.

Why do orphans get a tax break on drugs anyway?

Return approved today. Weird being Sunday and all, but whatever hadn't been decided must be now.

CptSavAHo said:   Return approved today. Weird being Sunday and all, but whatever hadn't been decided must be now.

Did you receive an email from TaxAct telling you it was approved today? Or the IRS?

BradisBrad said:   CptSavAHo said:   Return approved today. Weird being Sunday and all, but whatever hadn't been decided must be now.

Did you receive an email from TaxAct telling you it was approved today? Or the IRS?

TaxAct text and email that Federal return accepted.

I have never e-filed a return and I never will. They'll have to rip my paper return from my cold, dead hands.

tuphat said:   

I have never e-filed a return and I never will. They'll have to rip my paper return from my cold, dead hands.

lol

Me too.

BEEFjerKAY said:   Darn. I knew I should have held off on getting that mine rescue team training.

Why do orphans get a tax break on drugs anyway?

It seems that when you adopt a child or treat a rare disease, then you should get some kind of tax benefit for your "heroic deed". Nobody can give you an award for your deed, so you get monetary compensation instead.

tuphat said:   I have never e-filed a return and I never will. They'll have to rip my paper return from my cold, dead hands.

Paper filers are around 20% and shrinking. Someone will have to make PCs and electronic devices unusable in order to stop the trend.

Skipping 4 Messages...
I have been filing with TaxAct for over 4 yrs now (once my returns $ matches with TurboTax), as TaxAct been little cheaper than TurboTax. I thought that TaxAct addresses any IRS audit support for free for customers. Unlike other years, this year I got the below message:

Tax Audit Defense takes the audit worry out of taxes

There's always a slight chance the IRS may question or even fully audit your tax return - even if you've done nothing wrong. Let Tax Audit Defense handle everything for you.

•Submit your tax return and relax -- you're covered
•Save thousands on representation fees if you happen to be audited
•Audit experts correspond and negotiate on your behalf - no hassles for you!

Don't leave it to chance: Tax Audit Defense is only $39.95 & covers you for as long as your return can be audited. A small investment for peace of mind.

"No Thanks" or "Get Protected w/ Audit Defense" button (Risk free - Cancel within 30 days for a full refund)

Can some one confirm how the audit support fee in TaxAct / TurboTax?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014