• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
tuphat said:   I have never e-filed a return and I never will. They'll have to rip my paper return from my cold, dead hands.

Paper returns, according to a lawyer friend who works for the IRS, are about 10x more likely to be audited than an efile return which is simply benchmarked and moved for review or approved. Lots of wiggle room in the benchmarks if you know the numbers.

" Targeting taxpayers for audit is a major factor behind the IRS's push for e-filing.
E-filed returns are available for audit several months sooner than paper returns,
allowing more time before the three-year statute of limitations expires. The IRS has
even boasted that its e-file database is "a rich and fertile field" for selecting audits
and has estimated that if its "screeners could be reallocated to performing audits,
they could bring an additional $175 million annually."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323374504578222130...

No more delays in processing now.

Open the flood gates

I have been filing with TaxAct for over 4 yrs now (once my returns $ matches with TurboTax), as TaxAct been little cheaper than TurboTax. I thought that TaxAct addresses any IRS audit support for free for customers. Unlike other years, this year I got the below message:

Tax Audit Defense takes the audit worry out of taxes

There's always a slight chance the IRS may question or even fully audit your tax return - even if you've done nothing wrong. Let Tax Audit Defense handle everything for you.

•Submit your tax return and relax -- you're covered
•Save thousands on representation fees if you happen to be audited
•Audit experts correspond and negotiate on your behalf - no hassles for you!

Don't leave it to chance: Tax Audit Defense is only $39.95 & covers you for as long as your return can be audited. A small investment for peace of mind.

"No Thanks" or "Get Protected w/ Audit Defense" button (Risk free - Cancel within 30 days for a full refund)

Can some one confirm how the audit support fee in TaxAct / TurboTax?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014