• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I use the "transfer" feature on Chase's website to pay my credit card bills. This allows me to setup set payment amounts to auto transfer each month and allows me to transfer $ before the charge has finalized. It appears they moved all Credit cards under Pay Bills and your only options now is to pay the minimum or pay in full (if you want repeating payments). My pre-existing transfers now only have the option to cancel. This is really irratating as I make 3-5 payments a month and sometimes like to initiate the transfer as soon as I make a charge rather than having to remember to go back 2-3 days later after the charge is posted.

Anyone else having this problem?

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Why don't you just set it up to pay the full amount each month on the due date? Why pay the CC bill earlier than it is due?

I charge quite a bit each month and when I get chunks of money/reimbursements I like to go ahead and send that rather than letting it build up in my checking (and run the risk of accidently spending it)

I also like to pre-pay bigger chunks so statements don't close with large balances and hurt my utilization ratio.

Got it... but if you are not buying a house, etc, who cares about utilization on a monthly basis.

Instead of transferring you could use the bill pay function from the checking account instead to push a payment to the card. I've done this for other cards that don't allow you to pay above the statement balance or make multiple payments in a statement cycle.

If you have to wait until the Chase CC charge posts before you can pay it from your Chase Checking account via Chase's Pay Bills function, is available credit on the CC released immediately upon making the payment, or do you have to wait, say, overnight for the available credit to increase?

ETA: Regardless, it's a hassle to no longer be able to pay a charge in advance.

tennis8363 said:   Got it... but if you are not buying a house, etc, who cares about utilization on a monthly basis.

Recently there was an American Express Platinum bonus of 100,000 points and another with Bank of America for $400 after $500. When these deals were brought up it was only hours or one day before the links were obliterated. Sometimes it is best to keep the credit report looking the best you can for deals like that, since you have no time to wait until the next closing date.


Anyway, you can send the payment from another bank if you have one, I do not see another way around this.

Move your credit accounts somewhere else.

I just logged in and I don't see any changes... I can still transfer an arbitrary amount from checking to credit card.

HiLine said:   Instead of transferring you could use the bill pay function from the checking account instead to push a payment to the card. I've done this for other cards that don't allow you to pay above the statement balance or make multiple payments in a statement cycle.


That's a good idea I'll try that - basically treat it like a 3rd party credit card. Your idea was a lot better than the response I got from Chase -


Thank you for contacting Chase.

Upon review, inorder to edit the payment amounts, you would
need to contact your bank.

The option to set up payments for fixed amount is not
available online.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.



Umm, OK, I thought I was dealing with my bank? I'm assuming they meant branch,but stil not good.

I pay my Chase cards with Citibank Bill Pay
Electronic payments post in a day or two (but need to schedule a day before, so 2-3 days total, depending on timing).

You could set up automatic payments from your online banking account and they would still get to Chase on schedule. Just bypass Chase's system and use your online banking, which will let you schedule what you want when you want, including multiple monthly payments.

I agree! I have always paid my bills each week on Sunday, imagine my surprise when I tried to pay a couple of my Chase accounts (as I have always done with no problem) and the Website tells me 'you have a zero balance and can NOT pay this bill!! Very pissed off about this...Why have they taken away the transfer option?? Like SO many things that get updated, things were just fine before....

wow good thing i did a payment transfer just before this rule happened. Would not have been able to clear this huge balance before statement cut if I tried to pay today.

Thanks Op, This reminded me to check all my cards that they are properly paid off. This post makes me glad I stopped using Chase for checking long ago.

I typically pay off the balance 5 days before payment due date. I pay off balance again on statement date or a couple days after. If I ever have big charges that I am worried about I will set up my bank account up to send a pre-payment to Chase.

nic3456 said:   HiLine said:   Instead of transferring you could use the bill pay function from the checking account instead to push a payment to the card. I've done this for other cards that don't allow you to pay above the statement balance or make multiple payments in a statement cycle.


That's a good idea I'll try that - basically treat it like a 3rd party credit card. Your idea was a lot better than the response I got from Chase -


Thank you for contacting Chase.

Upon review, inorder to edit the payment amounts, you would
need to contact your bank.

The option to set up payments for fixed amount is not
available online.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.



Umm, OK, I thought I was dealing with my bank? I'm assuming they meant branch,but stil not good.


You can't setup chase as a payee either for your CC...it will give you an error. I tried setting it up with a '-' after the account number and it let me, i made a payment for .01$ to see if it would post...I bitched to chase about this change I think it sucks. I charge 2.5x my CL/month easily and I'm constantly transferring money over...or at least I was

Hi! YES!! I have exactly the same situation. I used to be able to transfer from my Checking directly to my credit cards. In fact some times my wife and I would go out for dinner, and after I paid the bill, I would log on with my mobile app, and transfer the amount right then and there.

But now, I have to make a "credit card payment" which means I can't submit the payment for the amount until it posts on the account, and I cannot make a payment more than once every three days!

It's like their development of features and convenience is going backwards!

Arris1 said:   

You can't setup chase as a payee either for your CC...it will give you an error. I tried setting it up with a '-' after the account number and it let me, i made a payment for .01$ to see if it would post...I bitched to chase about this change I think it sucks. I charge 2.5x my CL/month easily and I'm constantly transferring money over...or at least I was


Did this end up working after all?

I agree this change has been very frustrating. In general I understand that this will increase their daily balance averages on credit cards potentially increasing their bottom line. Still, sometimes customers convenience should be worth more than profit. I may take my business elsewhere. Does anyone know if any other credit cards allow the daily transfer if desired?

Good question. If anyone knows one, I will jump ship immediately. Both my wife and I wrote messages that essentially said this is the only thing we really valued about Chase over other banks. Now, there is essentially no reason to keep them.

What I am now doing is sending a polite complaint once a month, when I have to deal with their payment system. I recommend anyone who used to rely on the Account Transfer option that has been discontinues to do so as well.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014