Roof/Insurance - Call an adjuster?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Our roof is original to our house, about 16 years old. There are a few missing shingles and most of the neighborhood has already replaced theirs, so we were planning on replacing ours this spring.

I had three roofers out yesterday - the first said it needed to be replaced because there are no soffit vents and heat/moisture had damaged the shingles, didn't think there was hail damage (when I asked). The second said most of the roof was hail and wind damaged and that he was sure that our insurer (Travelers) would replace most if not all of the roof, to call an adjuster and have him there as well (and of course wants the work if he's the one there to meet with the adjuster). The third didn't actually go up on the roof but was skeptical of the hail because didn't see any damage to guttering/metal from the ground and most home owners around our neighborhood who had their roofs replaced with insurance had just gotten lucky, but that he'd be happy to meet with an adjuster if we wanted.

The first company is the most respected, was the most thorough and is who I would use if I was paying out of pocket (about $7K). I'm thinking about having an adjuster to come out just to check things out without any roofers present. My policy only covers hail events within 1 year I think, but there are two events for my city/ZIP listed on the weather database within the past year. Do I risk having someone come out and nothing being wrong? What would that do to my rates/CLUE report? Or should I call the first guys back and ask their opinion about it and whether they would recommend calling an adjuster/meeting with them? I'm very confused by the whole thing.

Member Summary

I'd have roofer 2 meet with your adjuster to get the claim approved

Just don't sign any documents with him giving him the job . See what your insurer says and see what amount they approve , then when you have the check in your hand , decide who to hire . Don't have the check made out directly to contractor if your insurer will pay you directly

Then you are free to use roofer 1 or 2

Roofer number 2 specifically said that he would meet with the adjuster as long as it means he will get the job. I guess my concern is that he meets with the adjuster, learns the amount approved, charges that amount, then ends up finding other "extra" charges that mean we end up paying more than we would have if I hired someone else for a pre-quoted price. Or would insurance likely cover any extras (beyond the upgrade we'd be getting for going from 2-tab to Timberline shingles, and of course our deductible)?

Obviously he knows that if the adjuster doesn't approve the claim he won't get the job

Also if the adjuster doesn't pay enough he won't get the job.

If you just have the adjuster come out without the roofer there, chances are you'll be denied entirely . It greatly helps to have the roofer there pointing out things that entitle you to get the claim approved

Again - as long as you don't sign anything with him , he can't require you to use him . If you are not strong enough to refuse to sign upfront or demand an "all in total price " after you get your check , then don't use him for help

financegirl said:   Roofer number 2 specifically said that he would meet with the adjuster as long as it means he will get the job
Was Roofer 2's quote lower than the others ?

See, that's the thing, he didn't give me a quote. It was basically like we should be able to do it for their price, including adding a ridgeline vent, your only extra expense might be $400-$600 for the Timberline shingle upgrade, but that he might be able to include that in the total price and I only owe the deductible. So I guess if I can get something in writing after I get the adjuster out and it's all going to be within that price range, it shouldn't be a problem.

I had a hail damage to my roof last May and here's how I dealt with it:

1. The roofer who came out and inspected the roof, gutters, window flashing and determined that there was enough evidence of the hail damage and that he was confident that my roof replacement claim would be approved. He said that he'll replace the roof for the amount of claim paid by the ins company and that he'd also cover my deductible that means no out of pocket expense for me.

2. I opened a claim with my ins co. The adjuster come out for inspection with the roofer being present. The roofer marked the hail damage using a chalk to make it easier for the adjuster to identify.

3. Within an hour the adjuster determined that there was enough hail damage and that the insurance company would cover the replacement of the roof, gutters and window flashing.

4. I got a check within a few days and had my mortgage endorse the check. The roofer completed the work to my satisfaction and I handed the check to him.

I recently had my roof replaced for hail damage. Several roofers were willing to meet with the adjuster without a guarantee of getting the work. Several roofers also stated that they would replace the roof for whatever amount of money the insurance company would pay and would upgrade to architectural shingles at no additional charge. Your insurance company should also include money for upgrading the roof to meet current code. This will include proper ice & water shield and possibly venting.

I solicited bids from a couple of roofers while my insurance adjuster was working on their report. When I got the claim amount, it was remarkably close to what the roofers bid. I am a pretty serious DIY'er and considered doing the roof myself. I consider myself pretty well educated on construction techniques, roof venting theory, etc. and was not impressed with most of the roofers. The ones that I ultimately chose came with very good references and seemed quite conscientious, but I still had to constantly watch what they were doing to be sure that things were done to my satisfaction.

I strongly recommend that you educate yourself and get trustworthy references. Angie's List and the BBB are worthless (easily manipulated reviews) IMO and the roofer will only provide you with positive references. I would check with neighbors and ask about who they used. You can also go to the websites of the shingle manufacturers and find contractors that are certified by that manufacturer. This lets you know that the contractor meets the installation standards of the manufacturer and often gets you a better warranty.

Be sure that your contractor is local and is not subbing the work to an out of town sub. This practice (storm chasing) is very common after a hail event. If there is a problem, the contractor and sub will point their fingers at each other and you will be SOL.

Last, but not least, this is a big expensive job that protects the integrity of the rest of your house. You control the money, so you have the power. If a contractor wants the work, they will work with you. Be sure to withhold a large chunk of payment until the job is completed to your satisfaction. Once they are paid in full, you are very unlikely to get them to come back and fix anything but the most severe problems.

Good luck!

financegirl said:   See, that's the thing, he didn't give me a quote. It was basically like we should be able to do it for their priceWhat if the insurance offers more than Roofer 1 or 3 would quote ? Can the homeowner keep any savings he can negotiate out of the contractor ?

It never hurts to make a storm claim. I am an adjuster and can admit that having a nice contractor/roofer there would not be a bad thing.

financegirl said:   Our roof is original to our house, about 16 years old. There are a few missing shingles and most of the neighborhood has already replaced theirs, so we were planning on replacing ours this spring.

I had three roofers out yesterday - the first said it needed to be replaced because there are no soffit vents and heat/moisture had damaged the shingles, didn't think there was hail damage (when I asked). The second said most of the roof was hail and wind damaged and that he was sure that our insurer (Travelers) would replace most if not all of the roof, to call an adjuster and have him there as well (and of course wants the work if he's the one there to meet with the adjuster). The third didn't actually go up on the roof but was skeptical of the hail because didn't see any damage to guttering/metal from the ground and most home owners around our neighborhood who had their roofs replaced with insurance had just gotten lucky, but that he'd be happy to meet with an adjuster if we wanted.

The first company is the most respected, was the most thorough and is who I would use if I was paying out of pocket (about $7K). I'm thinking about having an adjuster to come out just to check things out without any roofers present. My policy only covers hail events within 1 year I think, but there are two events for my city/ZIP listed on the weather database within the past year. Do I risk having someone come out and nothing being wrong? What would that do to my rates/CLUE report? Or should I call the first guys back and ask their opinion about it and whether they would recommend calling an adjuster/meeting with them? I'm very confused by the whole thing.
Check your Travelers policy before filing that claim. At least in our state, Travelers recently added a caveat that in order to be covered the roof damage had to have happened in the past 12 months or it won't be covered. This makes it easier for them to deny these types of claims, as they have access to old weather reports and, if there were no hail reports in the area in the past 12 months, will be more likely to deny the claim and it'll be more difficult to contest that denial.

Here is how I look at the situation. (I have been a adjuster and now I am a contractor) The insurance company is a business and they are trying to pay you as little as they can to fix your roof. Any money they can save is good for them. On the opposite fence the contractor is a business and they are trying to make money.

Some Insurance Companies will ask you to get three estimates and then they will pay the lowest amount. This is bad because a good company that is Licensed, Bonded and Insured will charge a more than a company that carries none of those.

The best options IMO is to find which roofer that you want to do the job and let them work with the insurance. In your policy it states that you get to chose who you want to make your repairs. If one is a little more than the other the Insurance is obligated to pay as long as they are not gouging. Don't be afraid to show the contractor your insurance papers. Alot of times adjusters make mistakes...they will say you had 20 year shingles when you had 25 year. There is a differences in the composition of the shingle. They can pay for heavy weight or light weight. GAF would be considered Heavy and would get more money than IKO shingles. If you have a contractor that understands this you will get a better roof. Remember you only have to pay your deductible and any upgrades so price really doesn't matter. You choosing the best contractor and getting the best roof does.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014