• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just received my auto renewal from StateFarm. They were late getting it out to me and I had to call them multiple times. They apparently have rewritten how they will do auto insurance and mine was held up for review.

My auto insurance was considered driving for pleasure and there used to be a discount it. I work from home mostly and occasionally drive in for a meeting, which is not very often. My auto insurance has basically doubled and they no longer offer the discount for not driving to work.

are other auto insurers doing away with the same discount (driving car for pleasure only)?

Member Summary

Progressive still does.

I've had State Farm for years. My vehicles have always been rated on the number of miles driven. Heck, my wife doesn't drive to work, but she puts more miles on her car than I do on mine. Same is true for some of my "pleasure" vehicles as well. Make sure they have your vehicle rated for the appropriate amount of driving that you do.

Fortunately my "pleasure" vehicle doesn't actually ever move out of the driveway. It just has some modifications to the seats.

bluegreenturtle said:   Fortunately my "pleasure" vehicle doesn't actually ever move out of the driveway. It just has some modifications to the seats.
The 94-98 mustang seats recline all the way
The 99-2004 do not . Wish I knew this in 2001 when my gf was getting the new model

Statefarm goes by annual millage. Maybe you can call your agent and have them review your account and explain in more detail what happened with your policy.

Okay - I just checked my State Farm policy. Here are the choices for "vehicle's primary use:"
Not sure what your vehicle's primary use is? These are the options you can get a quote for online:
To/from work or school: For driving to and from work or school; not for business.
Pleasure: For casual, limited use; not for driving to and from work.
Limited use: Parades/shows/exhibitions: For vehicles 25 or more years old, maintained for use in parades, shows, and exhibitions, and occasionally used for other purposes.
Farm: For use primarily on a farm or ranch, where the vehicle is also parked; not ordinarily used in going from home to work or school, or any occupation other than farming or ranching.

From there, your usage is further defined by the number of miles that you drive.

OP - There's not a "discount" per se for pleasure use; your premium is just different (or not, depending on how much driving you are doing "for pleasure").

Op, I don't know what state you live in but here in california, I've found that if you told statefarm that the vehicle was used for pleasure and not for work/commuting, your rates would actually be higher. That the best way to have low rates is to report your annual mileage to statefarm and hope that it's as low as possible.

We have State Farm and two of our vehicles have lower premiums because both are driven 7500 miles or less per year. They send us a form each year to fill out the current mileage to qualify to keep that particular premium rating.

I left SF 1.5 yrs ago, and went with Amica. I was able to double my coverage and add an almost-new car (full-coverage) for what I paying SF.

Who is your life/home insurance with?

*Insurance discounts often don't map well from person-to-person, depending on locale and history. YMMV.

Logan71 said:   I left SF 1.5 yrs ago, and went with Amica. I was able to double my coverage and add an almost-new car (full-coverage) for what I paying SF.

Who is your life/home insurance with?

*Insurance discounts often don't map well from person-to-person, depending on locale and history. YMMV.

good point. my home owners insurance is with Amica. I've always had my auto insurance and umbrella policy with State Farm. I was hesitant to move car insurance over to Amica because of my long history with State Farm and they said I was getting the max 30% discount for being there so long--now I'm not sure I believe that.

I will call amica tomorrow for a quote.

Interesting that State Farm is using miles driven as a measurement for quoting insurance rates. That is not something we discussed but I can ask.

Thanks for all the feedback!

nagemnna2 said:   Statefarm goes by annual millage. Maybe you can call your agent and have them review your account and explain in more detail what happened with your policy.

Yes, I called State Farm yesterday. The local office told me they would look into it. They will determine if the bill was correct and confirm all discounts have been applied. The person I spoke with told me that driving for pleasure is now lumped in the same category as driving to work -- so it makes no difference apparently.

Crue1991 said:   We have State Farm and two of our vehicles have lower premiums because both are driven 7500 miles or less per year. They send us a form each year to fill out the current mileage to qualify to keep that particular premium rating.You don't have drive safe and save feature? The 7500 miles or less per year feature was good but ever since they came out the one where you put in the exact mileage, my rates dropped tremendously as I don't drive much but have lots of vehicles. I remember specifically asking to sign up for that program.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014