Transportation to Work

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hey all,
I am considering working in an office 6 miles away and would rather not get an extra car for my family. My wife currently ties up our car most of the time. When the weather is decent, I would just bike to work, but I'd need an alternate means of getting there. There is no easy way to get there via public transportation. Any cheap and creative options? I live in an urban NJ community.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson P45.

RailroadTrack (Feb. 07, 2013 @ 5:24p) |

I've used a http://www.goped.com/products/Gas.asp for the last 10 years when dropping off and picking up cars from the b... (more)

atikovi (Feb. 07, 2013 @ 6:23p) |

Get a bike and add an electric motor -- you can use the motor to get to work w/ a little bid of peddling, and then peddl... (more)

lonestarguy (Feb. 07, 2013 @ 9:25p) |

• Also categorized in:

carpool or have wife drop you off.

carpool with coworkers (or neighbors who work near where you work)
wife drops you off
you drop wife off
rollerskates
rollerblades
GEM Car
pogo stick
teleport
scooter (electric or foot propelled)

some of these are jokes, some are real options

Can you possibly alter your hours a tad so she can drop you off and pick you up? Can she alter her hours? Can you work from home limited days?

This calls for a Honda Ruckus!!

civ2k1 said:   carpool with coworkers (or neighbors who work near where you work)
wife drops you off
you drop wife off
rollerskates
rollerblades
GEM Car
pogo stick
teleport

Thanks! I wish 1 and 2 were more feasible, but we have different work schedules. And the GEM car option seems interesting, but if I'm forking 8k for a car, I might as well get a real one.

Taxi?

Possibility, but I'm not sure how expensive a 15 minute taxi ride would be...

Walk. Its only 90 minutes

i second the moped

elsaball said:   civ2k1 said:   carpool with coworkers (or neighbors who work near where you work)
wife drops you off
you drop wife off
rollerskates
rollerblades
GEM Car
pogo stick
teleport

Thanks! I wish 1 and 2 were more feasible, but we have different work schedules. And the GEM car option seems interesting, but if I'm forking 8k for a car, I might as well get a real one.

$2-3k used

Hitchhike

Rain gear to still bike anyway.

Or car share? They have that there?

I paid $350 for a 1983 Yamaha scooter that drove me to school for four years with only a $100 carb repair once and some regular maintenance. Plus it only burned half a gallon of fuel a week. And sold it for more than I paid once I graduated.

scooter/motorcycle/go cart/golf cart/4 wheeler

elsaball said:   Hey all,
I am considering working in an office 6 miles away and would rather not get an extra car for my family. My wife currently ties up our car most of the time. When the weather is decent, I would just bike to work, but I'd need an alternate means of getting there. There is no easy way to get there via public transportation. Any cheap and creative options? I live in an urban NJ community.

Tell her to untie the car.

slip n slide. this should do it.

$1000 Crown Vic?

You can easily bike 6 miles to work all year round. What you need is quality winter gear. Think Pearl Izumi, Gore-Tex, etc. Buy on clearance and save a bundle. I bike all year, wife has the only car, and my "backup" is a second bike

fatslob said:   You can easily bike 6 miles to work all year round. What you need is quality winter gear. Think Pearl Izumi, Gore-Tex, etc. Buy on clearance and save a bundle. I bike all year, wife has the only car, and my "backup" is a second bike

I assume you're not from the east coast. Winter's not the problem, it's summer. You try and ride to work in a suit when the temperature and humidity are over 90 before 8am.

Some FWFers should have a golf cart to sell you.

atikovi said:   fatslob said:   You can easily bike 6 miles to work all year round. What you need is quality winter gear. Think Pearl Izumi, Gore-Tex, etc. Buy on clearance and save a bundle. I bike all year, wife has the only car, and my "backup" is a second bike

I assume you're not from the east coast. Winter's not the problem, it's summer. You try and ride to work in a suit when the temperature and humidity are over 90 before 8am.

Don't wear your suit to work. Bring it with you or drop it off. Shower if you have facities at a work gym or a gym near by, or do a wet wipe shower in the bathroom.

scrouds said:   atikovi said:   fatslob said:   You can easily bike 6 miles to work all year round. What you need is quality winter gear. Think Pearl Izumi, Gore-Tex, etc. Buy on clearance and save a bundle. I bike all year, wife has the only car, and my "backup" is a second bike

Don't wear your suit to work. Bring it with you or drop it off. Shower if you have facities at a work gym or a gym near by, or do a wet wipe shower in the bathroom.

You can wear nothing but your underwear and you'll still be soaking in sweat by the time you arrive. Wet wipe shower in the bathroom? Not what I expected from the most interesting man in the world, maybe if the "wet" part is some Dos Equis to mask your stink.

Thanks for your advice, guys

atikovi said:   fatslob said:   You can easily bike 6 miles to work all year round. What you need is quality winter gear. Think Pearl Izumi, Gore-Tex, etc. Buy on clearance and save a bundle. I bike all year, wife has the only car, and my "backup" is a second bike

Actually I am from the east coast. I'd like to bike primarily, but if weather or client meetings would make that difficult I'd like an alternate means of getting in. I'm leaning toward a scooter/moped/electric bike, but there are a few issues I'd need to work out:
1. Storage. I live in a second floor walkup without a garage. While I could leave the vehicle outside, I'd probably want to insure it from theft and protect it from the elements.
2. Rain/snow. When the weather is too bad to ride, I'd probably call a taxi or follow my wife's schedule.

Silly East Coast people complaining about how hot it gets. Move to Texas or Arizona and you'll miss 90 degree days in August.

The humidity is more of a killer then the heat... makes you stick to yourself and everything your wearing.

Does the wife work somewhere where she could use public transport on the days you really need the car?

Not sure about your neighborhood but if i left a scooter or moped out at night it would be gone within days along with whatever i chained it to.

East Coast rider here. Suits stay at work and I shower in the gym. ~30 miles every day all year round. With the right equipment you will be fine in the rain/snow/summer heat. Best part is I actually look forward to my commute every day.

I live in a place where transportation options are limitless. Cars, buses, subway, express bus, railroad, Car Sharing firm which has cars parked in local parking lots/garages and taxi cabs, and even gypsy or local cab owners as well who want a piece of the action and connections to the airports for airplanes or even access to the long haul bus firms and yes even rental car locations, and anything else that exists.

Its crazy how many options here are available for transportation. You wonder why the mass transit agency doesn't consolidate down and improve the total system rather than having too much redundancy.

I would suggest a car sharing service in your area if one exists or find a group of people who will agree to share a car. I can't say where you live so I wouldn't know what is available there.

Do your own research.

Oh i forgot about zipcar too. Not sure if its worth the $$ or in your area but maybe that is an option. Wifey could drop you at the zipcar on days you needed a car.

nagemnna2 said:   Oh i forgot about zipcar too. Not sure if its worth the $$ or in your area but maybe that is an option. Wifey could drop you at the zipcar on days you needed a car.

zipcar is a terrible option here, since you have to return it to the same place you pick it up.

Car2Go would be much better, but I doubt they have it where you are.

They have zipcar right here and considering many live right by them they will come back home then drop off the car and it is very convenient.

zipcar was taken over by a rental car firm so its unclear if they will allow dropoffs in different locations now.

Lots and lots of different car sharing alternatives depending on markets. Some NYC markets only have zipcar, while other areas have multiple other choices.

I'm interested in this too. I have a 4.7 mile commute (one way) and would love to bike to work. I even have a paved path through fields, the woods, along parkways, etc that I could use without having to be directly on the road most of the way from home to work. I just would have an issue with weather, time, and having to shower at work. I never feel clean after showering at work after racquetball games...just something about the showers, I suppose.

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson P45.

I've used a http://www.goped.com/products/Gas.asp for the last 10 years when dropping off and picking up cars from the body shopp and repair shop both of which are about 5 miles away. I even put it in a canvas bag and take it on the subway and bus when the place I'm going to is within 5 miles or so of the station. Wouldn't use it in rain although I've been caught in it and below about 45 degrees it's too cold with the wind.

jaytrader said:   I'm interested in this too. I have a 4.7 mile commute (one way) and would love to bike to work. I even have a paved path through fields, the woods, along parkways, etc that I could use without having to be directly on the road most of the way from home to work. I just would have an issue with weather, time, and having to shower at work. I never feel clean after showering at work after racquetball games...just something about the showers, I suppose.

Get a bike and add an electric motor -- you can use the motor to get to work w/ a little bid of peddling, and then peddle all the way home.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014