• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi guys, I am comparing my current insurance company (Geico) with Progressive, both insurance with same coverage are around the same pricing, except with Progressive if you pay in full for 6 months you save $30, plus there is a possibility to save even more if I were to enroll in the Snapshot program.
I've been extremely happy with Geico and their express service when i got into an accident few years back (rear ended by a lady), repairs and parts were delivered overnight and car was repaired within a week.

Anyways, should I take the leap of faith and jump ships?
I think Progressive is a good insurance company based on the reviews.

I am 24, and I am going to be turning 25 this march and my policy expires on the 29th of March.

Decision decision...I could use some advice from the pros (you guys).

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

if you join the national military family association, Geico gives you a 8% discount.

I am not in the military, and I don't know any of my relatives in the military either.

IcEWoLF said:   I am not in the military, and I don't know any of my relatives in the military either.
Anyone can join

You really should do a second or two of research before dismissing what someone tells you

I haven't found much detail, but I suppose I pay the joining membership fee here @ http://www.militaryfamily.org and then call Geico to apply the discount?

After doing a bit more research basically I'd have to join the NMFA then have to sign up for an account at pen fed and then get the discount? It appears a bit more work, especially opening another bank account..

Please help me find a discount, i dont want to spend time actually getting it. just give me the info, but, do the googleing for me to see if i can qualify otherwise i will say no. make sure the work isnt too much, I dont want to fill out forms, if you can, please fill them out for me.

IcEWoLF said:   After doing a bit more research basically I'd have to join the NMFA then have to sign up for an account at pen fed and then get the discount? It appears a bit more work, especially opening another bank account..

The work to setup an account to get the discount can pay off in other unexpected ways. For example, PenFed has good interest rates for financing vehicles and houses. Its worth looking at the bigger picture.

If you had military connections, I would think USAA would be the obvious choice, not Geico, but that's just my speculation.

No, USAA is not the cheapest insurance. That's what they want military people to think

No, USAA is not the cheapest insurance. That's what they want military people to think

Really mean response. It's a 24-year old asking for advice

I left Geico (which formerly was an acronym for Government Employee Insurance Company) for eSurance after Geico unexpectedly raised my premiums. eSurance was cheaper by about $100 per 6 months.

I used to be a Progressive member for about ten years. I had to file a claim once when another Progressive member backed into me. He admitted fault, etc. Suffice it to say that after several months of arguing with their claims adjusters, I quit in disgust. They sent me a couple of questionnaires asking me why I'd left, and saying they'd love to have me back but never got back to me after I told them why I had left and how pissed I was at them.

I'd not recommend them.

StevenColorado said:   I used to be a Progressive member for about ten years. I had to file a claim once when another Progressive member backed into me. He admitted fault, etc. Suffice it to say that after several months of arguing with their claims adjusters, I quit in disgust. They sent me a couple of questionnaires asking me why I'd left, and saying they'd love to have me back but never got back to me after I told them why I had left and how pissed I was at them.

I'd not recommend them.
ue

It could be worse. You could have died in an accident and then have your own insurance company (Progressive) defend your accidental killer so Progressive wouldn't have to pay a death claim of only $75k to your surviving family.

elist said:   StevenColorado said:   I used to be a Progressive member for about ten years. I had to file a claim once when another Progressive member backed into me. He admitted fault, etc. Suffice it to say that after several months of arguing with their claims adjusters, I quit in disgust. They sent me a couple of questionnaires asking me why I'd left, and saying they'd love to have me back but never got back to me after I told them why I had left and how pissed I was at them.

I'd not recommend them.
ue

It could be worse. You could have died in an accident and then have your own insurance company (Progressive) defend your accidental killer so Progressive wouldn't have to pay a death claim of only $75k to your surviving family.

Unfortunately, that's the way it works if you sue someone and you want to take advantage of your underinsured coverage. Liability and the financial remedy must be determined before insurance pays out.

I was with Geico for about 8 years, and switched to Progressive a few years ago - I think I saved $150 the first year, $100 the 2nd. No problems for me.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.