• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
January 31, 2013

Dear prikindel,

We are writing to tell you about important changes to the Zync from American Express card.

Effective April 8, 2013, we are discontinuing all Zync packs currently offered on the Card: Go, Restaurant, Connect, Style, Eco, Music, Health & Fitness, Home, Family Travel, Personal Finance, Give Back, Beauty & Spa and Vegas packs.

If you are enrolled in a Zync pack(s) as of the date of this letter and you cancel your pack(s) prior to April 8, 2013, we will refund your most recent pack enrolment fee(s), when you notify us of your intent to cancel.

blah blah blah...

It is important for you to know that we are not discontinuing the Zync Card at this time. You may use... blah blah blah...

Thank you for your continued Cardmembership.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

That's what happens when you flood the market with prepaid cards

why did American Express discontinue this feature? I never found the feature of particular usefulness but maybe someone on here can shine some light as to why this happened... abuse perhaps?

goku2 said:   why did American Express discontinue this feature? I never found the feature of particular usefulness but maybe someone on here can shine some light as to why this happened... abuse perhaps?

Everything that happened to the Zync seemed to coincide with the recent lawsuit against American Express. Part of the lawsuit said something about them discriminating against people's age for certain products. I obviously am not certain this was the reason, but it seems to be why they got rid of it. They probably want to get rid of everything to do with this card and the email prikindel received implies that they may completely get rid of it in the future.

The card seems pretty useless to me anyway. Reviews say it earns watered down Membership Rewards points so the 2x points on categories isn't really worth two points. The $25 annual fee is low, but it was targeted towards young people and that is why I didn't get one when I first tried for a credit card; I am against annual fees.

Yes, lets charge annual fees to our target audience, people who don't have money in the first place.

oh, the card sucks a$$ because no one is buying it and now it needs to be shut down?

Was wondering what this card was - looks like AMEX stopped taking applications for Zync:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/pro...

Hey guys... I spoke with AMEX jsut this morning. After April AMEX WILL be allowing upgrades from Zync. The rep could said which cards specifically she could not comment on. "probably Green and GOLD to fit in line with Charge card as Zync is".
So that's awesome news. Also... if upon expiration, mine in 2016, they will renew it. For now.. 1:1 dollar to MR Express.

kibarrow said:   Hey guys... I spoke with AMEX jsut this morning. After April AMEX WILL be allowing upgrades from Zync. The rep could said which cards specifically she could not comment on. "probably Green and GOLD to fit in line with Charge card as Zync is".
So that's awesome news. Also... if upon expiration, mine in 2016, they will renew it. For now.. 1:1 dollar to MR Express.
Zync always could be upgraded, the question is, can we keep our cards...? I don't want to upgrade to the other cards because the rewards suck and they have much higher annual fees.

According to AMEX, not me, it is the only card offered that could NOT be upgradeable. She did tell me prior to that I was welcomed to apply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 1:30AM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.