Payment Safeguard charge - Citi

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just thought I'll post this here and see if FWF has inputs on any avenues I can seek to get my money back It may also serve as awareness to some who maybe in the same boat as me.

Ok, so remember the good old days of citi credit protector? It was fun in 2005-2008 to make some extra money with the program and rebates it offered. Recently I got a balance transfer offer and opted for it. At the month end statement, I see a $91.92 fee on my card from Payment Safeguard. I had no clue what that is! So I call Citi for disputing the charge, the web interface gave me no such option for charge. They said that I need to speak with Payment safeguard, I did realize subsequently that it must be the old credit protector program that I forgot to discontinue.

Payment safeguard reviewed and rejected my refund request on that basis that I used their benefits back in 2008.

However, I never signed up for Payment safeguard. In their last communication they have mentioned that the credit protector program was changed to Payment safeguard program in November 2012 but I have not been informed of this change. I believe this itself should be sufficient reason to entitle me for a refund.

At the end of the day, I'm happy to own my mistake and pay up the fee charged.

I appreciate any inputs on what I could possibly do to get the fee waived. I'm thinking the following: (i) insist on speaking with a supervisor, I have already called like 3 times; (ii) write a letter on paper; (iii) file a complaint with BBB

Any thing else I should be doing?

Member Summary

on your previous monthly statement, you should have seen a line item for payment guard or credit protector fee, even if your balance is $0.

Do you have it?

They automatically convert credit protector to payment guard. That's legal I believe.

Weird, the previous month's statement is not available on the document center. I have requested it. You probably mean something like this?

Fees

Description:
Payment Safeguard 1-877-242-5987
PROTECTION FOR YOUR ACCOUNT!

Amount: 0.00

I suppose it would be there, just that I didn't use this card many years until I had this 0% Balance transfer offer show up

You think you are entitled to a refund because they changed the name of the program you were enrolled in and forgot about?

Glitch99 said:   You think you are entitled to a refund because they changed the name of the program you were enrolled in and forgot about?

It's a merge, not a rename. The Payment safeguard program did exist before. I think it's fair to at least expected a notification in mail about the change of program sometime in Nov 2012. Since Citi (rather Payment safeguard, which seems to be like a separate vendor susbidiary of Citi) did not notify me of the change and possibly even of any change in terms, I expect a compensation not unlike the incidents where people get out of cellphone service contracts without paying early termination fee because the newer terms violate the old terms at the time initial service contract was done.

Of course, the statement I just said above would be void if there were no changes in T&C.

As I said after I realized that Payment safeguard is same as credit protector, I decided to pay the fee. But it was already 2 emails and 2 phone call at that point which could have been obviated and I'm not happy about the canned emails they kept sending. How do you put a dollar value on that?

i think they did send snail mail about the change. maybe you junked it.

tomprc said:   on your previous monthly statement, you should have seen a line item for payment guard or credit protector fee, even if your balance is $0.

Do you have it?

So I requested previous month's statement, and there is no mention of a credit protector or payment safeguard fee. See attachment

Since the consensus seems to be I should just let it go, I'll drop the idea of complaining anywhere.

I've been searching for someone else who suffered this sham. I also did a balance transfer and found the charge ($98.31)on my credit card statement. I sent an email asking for the service (that I did not enroll in) to be discontinued. This month, the charge appeared again so I called. I waited 20 minutes to speak with a person who transferred me because I could not remember the 12 year old PO Box address they had on file. I finally spoke with a man named Alfredo (refused to give his last name) who said that I would receive a letter in ten days verifying the cancellation. When I asked for a confirmation number, Alfredo said that he could not give me one. I asked Alfredo how I could verify that we had a conversation with my request to cancel the service. That's when Alfredo gave me his name and ID number "ADAD".

I will notify the BBB because 1. I didn't selected to enroll in the credit protector or "Safeguard Payment" service. Whenever my credit card balance increased to more than $2,000, the charge appeared. 2. Because when I did make a claim in 2010 for credit card fraud, I had to push really hard to get the company to honor their protection coverage. BTW, my card was issued by ATT Universal. I received terrific service until Citigroup bought the company.

I am battling the exact same problem, with the same company!! they signed me up on their own back in may of 2012 and have charged me a total of 425 dollars since!! what are they safeguarding us from? whos safeguarding us from them!!!! I called to cancel this so called protection and got my next statement and here it is again....

i have the same issue

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014