• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Discover Card $250 CashBack for spending $1,500/month for March, April, May, June, July.

Seem targeted, so just call 866-645-1436 to inquire if you qualify.

The $1,500 limit is on ANY purchase on top of ANY CashBack(ie: 5% rotating category)

It works out to be 3.33% additional CashBack if you spent exactly $7,500 in the 5 months.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Was this a mailer or email?

gloreglabert said:   Was this a mailer or email?

I received a mailer for my offer.

I got a similar offer, 2012.10-2013.2 for 5 month. I have $800 left to go for this month then I am done

I called, but was not eligible. She did offer me 1.9% interest on new purchases for 6 months.

These (and similar) offers come out periodically, particularly on cards that have been sitting. This is definitely a targeted offer.

hpmax said:   These (and similar) offers come out periodically, particularly on cards that have been sitting. This is definitely a targeted offer.

any one know of any other tips to get the offer to trigger?

I've got 3-4 similar offers in the past 6 months, including this last one. All mailers.

Can't say what is triggering it. I've had a Discover for 12 years. Pay my card in full in every month and my spend ranges from a few hundred up depending on what the 5% CashBack is that quarter. I can say I rarely go over $1500 in a month with them.

If I wasn't trying to cut back my spending to divert some money into investments, I would probably do it.

I got $1000 Cash Back offer for $5500 monthly spend for next 8 months. Hadn't seen that before. No way can I spend that much so won't even try to work that offer. Has anyone received simliar and called to see if you can get another offer ($250 for $1500/month spend for 5 months)?

I got $500 back for spending $3000 or $3500 for the next 5-6 months offer, forgot the details as I don't spend that much each month. I did use the card a lot the last few months and spent average $2000/month for some remodeling, but I pay the balance in full each month. I think the trigger is if you spend AVG about $2000, they will send you the $3000/month deal, if you spend $3000/month, you will get the $5000/month deal. looks like they are trying to make you spend more than you can afford and hope that you can't pay the balance in full and kill you with the interest. CC companies are the devil.

Yeah...think so. I probably average around $1000/month on Discover (maybe $1500), but the last few have been $3K or so a month. It's still a crazy offer. Guess i'll try to call and get a different one. Will be interesting to see if they offer anything.

richardyc said:   I got $500 back for spending $3000 or $3500 for the next 5-6 months offer, forgot the details as I don't spend that much each month. I did use the card a lot the last few months and spent average $2000/month for some remodeling, but I pay the balance in full each month. I think the trigger is if you spend AVG about $2000, they will send you the $3000/month deal, if you spend $3000/month, you will get the $5000/month deal. looks like they are trying to make you spend more than you can afford and hope that you can't pay the balance in full and kill you with the interest. CC companies are the devil.

They are the devil unless you are a true fatwallet reader (like yourself). In that case you get a bunch of extra CashBack. I have some Discover cards that have been sitting forever. They never offer me a damn thing. I will do as you suggest and see if I get some offers. And they have SKY high interest rates. I used to get some really cheap BT offers from them. I think they mailed me something with week for a BT offer. I used to get 18 months for zero costs or at most 3% up front.

Rob

Last year around Aug, I got the $500 Cash Back for $2,500/month spending for 5 months offer.
Before the offer, I spent only $500/month in the previous 6 months. They wanted to bump up my spending to 5X.
They were successfully. I ended up spending on average over 5K per month in the following 5 months and got the $500 Cash Back.

BUt is it that great? Is iot worth it? 5 x $1500 =7500 total spent. $250 of that is 3.75%. I guess depends if you have alot of spending in gas ,grocery ,restaurant wher eyou can get 5%

subscribing to topic. I guess you have to do the math on how much you spend in the 5% categories with chase freedom and discover and other card offers

DMblast said:   BUt is it that great? Is iot worth it? 5 x $1500 =7500 total spent. $250 of that is 3.75%. I guess depends if you have alot of spending in gas ,grocery ,restaurant wher eyou can get 5%

Actually, 250 divided by 7500 is 3.33%.

per discover email:

"To follow your progress, use our Spend Analyzer and track your monthly spending.
Thank you for being a loyal Discover Cardmember."

It appears that getting Cash Back from merchants count as a purchase toward spend requirement since it shows up as a purchase using the spend analyzer.

Can anyone confirm this?

DMblast said:   BUt is it that great? Is iot worth it? 5 x $1500 =7500 total spent. $250 of that is 3.75%. I guess depends if you have alot of spending in gas ,grocery ,restaurant wher eyou can get 5%
One thing you can use is money messenger to send money to say your spouse. I got the $500 for $2500 in spend for five months and my money messenger limit was $1000 per month. So it really only required spending $1500 per month. Between 5% categories and shopdiscover, I didn't have to manufacture all that much spending.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014