• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
LINK

Get $300 when you bring this coupon to a branch near you, open a Capital One
business checking account. Deposit at least $3,000 within 30 days of account
opening and make 1 online bill payment by 4/30/2013

- Branch Visit Needed
- there are couple of business checking accounts with no monthly fee, no minimum balance requirements
- doesn't need a real business (Inc, LLC etc.). You could mention your business as your name (Sole Proprietor)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Wondering the same. I need to open a biz acct.

Stylin (Oct. 09, 2013 @ 4:57p) |

anyone got the $300? I called customer service and they asked me to visit a branch.

krk77 (Oct. 12, 2013 @ 1:49p) |

Bonus just hit my account -- account opened end of June, promo expiration was 8/31 at that time and terms stated 10-12 w... (more)

gloreglabert (Nov. 15, 2013 @ 1:52a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can you open a Capital One account if your home address isn't in a service area? You can with Chase, but I have no idea about Cap1.

Sounds like a good deal. Any ability to apply online or over the phone?

gloreglabert said:   Can you open a Capital One account if your home address isn't in a service area? You can with Chase, but I have no idea about Cap1.

No and since when can you with Chase?

rnj1975 said:   Sounds like a good deal. Any ability to apply online or over the phone?

No.

Also, they require some documentation if the name of the business is other than just your name. I have a Sales and Use Tax license but they said that wasn't enough, so I have to wait about two months for the Maryland government to get a Doing Business As certificate. A business license from somewhere would also do but that was more expensive for me. The male on the telephone said you have to enter a branch to open the account.

nice find op!

mjoply said:   gloreglabert said:   Can you open a Capital One account if your home address isn't in a service area? You can with Chase, but I have no idea about Cap1.
No and since when can you with Chase?

Both I and my wife opened Chase accounts in-branch while on vacation across the country. There are no branches anywhere near our home address (and we can't open accounts online), but neither rep gave us a problem about our address.

mjoply said:   

Also, they require some documentation of a real business. I have a Sales and Use Tax license but they said that wasn't enough, so I have to wait about two months for the Maryland government to get a Doing Business As certificate. A business license from somewhere would also do but that was more expensive for me. The male on the telephone said you have to enter a branch to open the account.

I opened a business checking account today, I didn't had any documents related to my business (i don't have one), they just put my name as my business and mentioned me as Owner of the business.

gloreglabert said:   

Both I and my wife opened Chase accounts in-branch while on vacation across the country. There are no branches anywhere near our home address (and we can't open accounts online), but neither rep gave us a problem about our address.

Okay. I was thinking you meant opening the account online without being in the service area. Capital One does let you open it in a branch even if your home address does not have a brand around.

krk77 said:   

I opened a business checking account today, I didn't had any documents related to my business (i don't have one), they just put my name as my business and mentioned me as Owner of the business.

Okay, I was wrong. They require that if you do business in another name. The name I use is not my name, so that is why I have to have a Doing Business As certificate. Sorry about that, and I have edited the original post.

GREAT deal if you have access to a Cap1 branch.
Don't think theres one in my state though.

KYBOSH said:   GREAT deal if you have access to a Cap1 branch.
Don't think theres one in my state though.

Go on vacation!

i have already one. can i sign up for this offer?

i have already one. can i sign up for this offer?

AugustFour said:   i have already one. can i sign up for this offer?

The promotion begins at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on 1/1/2013 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on 4/30/2013.
The promotion is available to new bank customers only. To qualify, you must open a Capital One business checking
account during the promotion period. Within 30 days of account opening, deposit at least $3,000 into your new business
checking account. At least 1 online bill payment must post to your account before end of promotion. You will receive
the $300 credit approximately 10-12 weeks after the end of the promotion. Account must be open and in good standing
to receive the credit. This offer cannot be combined with any other Capital One Bank new account opening offer and
is strictly non-transferable. Limit one offer per customer.

More info about this here. They typically check for valid business license

Old Forum

which states have branches?

I have a Personal Rewards Checking account with CapitalOne. Do i qualify for this ? Terms and Conditions shows only new bank customers. New bank customers of business checking ?

What is the monthly fee on this account ? Since bonus will take 3-4 months to post, how much total fees will be assessed for these months ?

no monthly fee
Alamgirian6329 said:   What is the monthly fee on this account ? Since bonus will take 3-4 months to post, how much total fees will be assessed for these months ?

Data point: I have personal and business accounts with Capital One. I'm 0 for 3 on receiving incentive payments without complaint. Excuses: no record of promotion, did not perform unspecified activity, did not qualify because of unspecified previous relationship. Eventually prevailed on 2 out of 3, but what a pain.

ahmadcpa said:   More info about this here. They typically check for valid business license

Old Forum

Any repercussions if you don't have a business and you are opening a business account?

Thanks OP! I went to my local branch thinking easy $300. No such thing. It took an hour to open this stupid account. The guy says he's new. It was the longest hour of my life. I do have a business. Used my TIN, but asked for my SS# anyway. I don't see the point of having a TIN. Anyhoo, I'm uncertain if he put the promo code in. Even if he did, I'm uncertain if I'll get the promo $ because of Buckman's post above. Only time will tell...

Buckmann said:   Data point: I have personal and business accounts with Capital One. I'm 0 for 3 on receiving incentive payments without complaint. Excuses: no record of promotion, did not perform unspecified activity, did not qualify because of unspecified previous relationship. Eventually prevailed on 2 out of 3, but what a pain.

CC promos have been great. Must be a deposit thing...

I went to Local branch (Irving, TX) and they Denied opening a Business Checking as I don't have any business. I asked if they can use my name as Business but they said it was possible in Past but not now.

It probably costs all of $25 or so register a DBA with your state. In mine, MD, you can pay an extra $50 and get it expedited to have it in a few days. You should do that, and you would still come out ahead. The DBA pays for itself many times over with other financial uses also.

Had a problem enrolling my account online because I already had a Capital one credit card. While I was talking to a CSR on the phone to resolve this issue (something on their end that prevented it), I asked the CSR to confirm that the promo code attached to this account. The CSR confirmed and said she could see a code was used at the time of signup, but she also said that she had to send a request to the research department to find out what the exact terms of the code. Someone from research would be calling me later that day.

So low and behold I get a phone call from research and apparently the terms of DIG state that a $10,000 deposit must be made and that something with a deposit in an attached savings account also had to be done. By the time the savings account got mentioned I was already fuming so I didn't hear exactly what needed to be done. Regardless, I advise all of you to straighten this out and save the pdf.

ReticentRancor said:   Had a problem enrolling my account online because I already had a Capital one credit card. While I was talking to a CSR on the phone to resolve this issue (something on their end that prevented it), I asked the CSR to confirm that the promo code attached to this account. The CSR confirmed and said she could see a code was used at the time of signup, but she also said that she had to send a request to the research department to find out what the exact terms of the code. Someone from research would be calling me later that day.

So low and behold I get a phone call from research and apparently the terms of DIG state that a $10,000 deposit must be made and that something with a deposit in an attached savings account also had to be done. By the time the savings account got mentioned I was already fuming so I didn't hear exactly what needed to be done. Regardless, I advise all of you to straighten this out and save the pdf.

Wow!

I don't normally do online bill pay for anything. Can someone recommend how this requirement is easily obtained?

Thanks!

BenH, Pay $5 to a local utility or credit card would be my suggestion, but I don't have an account yet.

I went to Capital One and they started asking all these questions asking me to prove the business was real. I eventually just gave up.

Rivler, any advice on how to go about it (I'm in MD too) or what other benefits of registering might be?

Well I have a legitimate business - an LLC with all the paperwork (even though I don't do much work under it anymore).

I just wasn't sure if Billpay had to be only to certain types of payees - but if I can just pay off a CC bill, then I'm golden.

thanks

hpmax said:   BenH, Pay $5 to a local utility or credit card would be my suggestion, but I don't have an account yet.

I went to Capital One and they started asking all these questions asking me to prove the business was real. I eventually just gave up.

Rivler, any advice on how to go about it (I'm in MD too) or what other benefits of registering might be?

Was able to complete this yesterday without issue. Took about 30 minutes at the branch. Advised the branch manager that I was a sole proprietor(sp) who sold stuff on eBay. Pretty simple stuff. It did take 45 or so minutes but hey for $300 I'll take it. Thanks for the post.

Delzek, did they ask for any sort of documentation? Did you have any?

Nope. I only used my ID. They can use your SSN as your TIN.

Delzek, I know they can... They were just being jerks. My Mom (who actually has a legitimate sole proprietorship which she has been running for years and is the source of substantial and her only income) was also rejected by them because she was not registered with the state.

ReticentRancor said:   

I also ran into a similar issue, after trying to confirm my account had the promotion coded properly through online messaging. They said to go to the branch to sort things out, but I haven't had a chance yet. I suspect many of us will run into this issue, and you may want to sort it out now rather than "10-12 weeks" after the promotion deadline.

If anyone else runs into this and is able to clear it up, I'd like to know how.

Incidentally, I do have a legitimate sole prop business, with an EIN, I file a schedule C, maintain trade licensing etc., so they can't claim that I don't have a real business.

not sure why CSR is aking about Promo code when you issue is enrolling. I had same issues as well (I had Costco/CapitalOne online savings account, after couple of calls they have fixed the issue and now I am able to login and see my business checking account.

ReticentRancor said:   Had a problem enrolling my account online because I already had a Capital one credit card. While I was talking to a CSR on the phone to resolve this issue (something on their end that prevented it), I asked the CSR to confirm that the promo code attached to this account. The CSR confirmed and said she could see a code was used at the time of signup, but she also said that she had to send a request to the research department to find out what the exact terms of the code. Someone from research would be calling me later that day.

Is it s hard inquiry?
Do they let you fund the account with a credit card?

Silverthunder said:   Is it s hard inquiry?

was told there would be NO inquiry.

Silverthunder said:   Is it s hard inquiry?

No inquiry for me (TX), and unless the rep lied you can't fund with a CC.

Skipping 41 Messages...
Bonus just hit my account -- account opened end of June, promo expiration was 8/31 at that time and terms stated 10-12 weeks after end of promotion, so posting is right on schedule. Did send a followup message a couple weeks back and they confirmed the terms had been fulfilled, but did not need to hassle them to actually post the bonus.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.