• Text Only
mariafarran said:   First, the couple asked for a community vote on the fines because that's what the CCRs required. Board said Nah and spent 200K in two years and lost. Board got a little wobbly and then agreed to settle but demanded a community vote on the architectural stuff. This was after the board souped up the meeting minutes with letters from their friends calling the couple "blackmailers" etc. etc. Think that couple was going to get a fair shake? Nah. This couple followed the rules. Requested the board to do so and board refused and went bat crazy. No one could get them off because they would pick hardliners for the nominating committe who nominated hardliners to run. Would yell at members who advocated stopping the spending. That worked real well. Ever been yelled at in a public place? This couple won. They were heroes. I know. I'm one of them.

Welcome to FWF. Kick back. Grab a beer. You're among friends.

mariafarran said:   First, the couple asked for a community vote on the fines because that's what the CCRs required. Board said Nah and spent 200K in two years and lost. Board got a little wobbly and then agreed to settle but demanded a community vote on the architectural stuff. This was after the board souped up the meeting minutes with letters from their friends calling the couple "blackmailers" etc. etc. Think that couple was going to get a fair shake? Nah. This couple followed the rules. Requested the board to do so and board refused and went bat crazy. No one could get them off because they would pick hardliners for the nominating committe who nominated hardliners to run. Would yell at members who advocated stopping the spending. That worked real well. Ever been yelled at in a public place? This couple won. They were heroes. I know. I'm one of them.

Hmm, do you also date Manti Te'o, but haven't seen him in person?

From what I see online you can always sue your HOA? And if its for "free" then why not? I know my coworkers HOA is terrible and charges them something like $508 a month, which is pretty much rent. For a CONDO nonetheless.
But...in some cases they can slap you with the attorney bill or anything that puts them at fault. Some contracts have it hidden in the terms and conditions that any costs of litigation gets passed on to the residents. That same HOA blundered something with wiring in the walls and had to drill a hole in the wall, repaint etc. They were "kind" enough to give them the option to pay over a few year period or fork over one lump sum of $10,000.

All in all I hope I never live with an HOA, because for the most part they're useless so I think they got what the deserved

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014