• Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
Bizatch said:   

An electric cattle prods warns:
For use on animals only

Ah. More evidence that my cousins were not suitable babysitters.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Stop using generic brand name q tips
The real ones don't. Come apart

The generic one's at ALDI try to come apart the generic ones at WalMart do not have this same issue. The branded one's don't hold as well as the generic WalMart ones. Not as soft but secure.

BenH said:   For those that have never had it...BPPV, if severe enough, can be a really scary thing.
I've had 2 "bouts" of BPPV and it is really a nightmare. A friend is an ENT MD and he suggested some manuevers I could perform at home myself to correct things (essentially, simplified versions of what he does for his patients) and sure enough, it resolved itself both times.

Now............ can we get back to the OP's point?? I've been in his shoes before and it is really frustrating. Even when you have insurance, you have no idea how much they will cover vs your portion until the EOB shows up. It is crazy and we don't tolerate this in most other industries.

ROFLMAO

As a Q-tip addict, I can tell you that if you keep putting Q-tips in your ear you will get earaches. But there's nothing better than a Q-tip when your ear canal itches.

Pediatrician uses a water pick on my daughters. Need to use warm water & very low pressure. Flushes them out with no problem.

qcumber98 said:   As a Q-tip addict, I can tell you that if you keep putting Q-tips in your ear you will get earaches. But there's nothing better than a Q-tip when your ear canal itches.

Sometimes better than sex. Also nothing more satisfying than to pull out and see a thick orange coating on the tip.

peroxide in ear... dissolve the wax and kill off common colds before you really catch them

I have a friend who is an audiologist. He says never ever put q-tips in your ear. That doesn't keep me from doing it. It feels that good.

nwill002 said:   peroxide in ear... dissolve the wax and kill off common colds before you really catch them

Tingles like a mother. I prefer dipping a Q-Tip in peroxide so you still get that satisfying feeling.

Who else read this thread and went and put a Q-Tip in their ear?

looking at the qtip
Disclaimer
My dog lays on his back whenever I get a q-tip out in hopes he might get his ears cleaned.

Bizatch said:   OP, can you post a pic of yourself? I want to see the guy responsible for the following warning labels:

On a blanket from Taiwan:
Not to be used as protection from a tornado.

Warning on fireplace log:
Caution -- Risk of Fire.

A warning on a pair of shin guards manufactured for bicyclists:
Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover.

Warning on an electric router made for carpenters:
This product not intended for use as a dental drill.

On a bottle of shampoo for dogs:
Caution: The contents of this bottle should not be fed to fish.

On a hair dryer:
Do not use in shower.

On Marks & Spencer bread pudding
Product will be hot after heating.

On a string of Chinese made Christmas lights:
For indoor or outdoor use only.

On Sainsbury's peanuts:
Warning: Contains nuts.

On an American Airlines packet of nuts:
Instructions - open packet, eat nuts.

On some frozen dinners:
Serving suggestion: defrost.

On a hotel provided shower cap:
Fits one head.

On Nytol Nighttime Sleep-Aid:
Warning: May cause drowsiness.

Warning on a cartridge for a laser printer:
Do not eat toner.

A wheel 13" a wheelbarrow warns:
Not for highway use

Can of self-defense pepper spray warns:
May irritate eyes.

Warning on a Conair Pro Style 1600 hair dryer:
Do not use in shower. Never use while sleeping.

Silly Putty package warning:
Not for use as earplugs.

On a bag of Fritos:
You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside.

Baby stroller warning:
Remove child before folding.

Household iron warns:
Never iron clothes while they are being worn.

A fireplace lighter cautions:
Do not use near fire, flame or sparks.

A handheld massager warns consumers:
Don't use while sleeping or unconscious.

Warning on underarm deodorant:
Do not spray in eyes.

Cardboard car sun shield that keeps sun off the dashboards warns
Do not drive with sun shield in place

Warning on a sharpening stone:
Knives are sharp.

Bottle water label warns:
Twist top off with hands. Throw top away. Do not put top in mouth.

On a box or rat poison
Warning: Has been found to cause cancer in laboratory mice.

On a Domino's Pizza box
Caution: Contents hot!

Toilet bowl cleaning brush warns:
Do not use orally.

An electric cattle prods warns:
For use on animals only

A can of air freshner warns:
Keep out of reach of children and teenagers

Cheap rubber ball toy warning:
Choking hazard: This toy is a small ball.

Caution on a package of dice:
Not for human consumption.

In the manual of a chainsaw:
Do not attempt to stop the blade with your hand.

Stamped on the barrel of a .22 calibre rifle:
Warning: Misuse may cause injury or death.

Instructions for an electric thermometer:
Do not use orally after using rectally.

On the wrapper of a Fruit Roll-Up snack:
Remove plastic before eating.

A TV remote controller warns:
Not dishwasher safe.

Mark Hermann defines product warnings as "a concise litigation history."

This is the strangest OT FWF thread in awhile.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine several years ago who actually did not have insurance. He said they removed the cotton with tweezers and charged him $200 b/c they considered it "outpatient surgery!!!!" I told him he should have just called me or a family member to remove it. This is why the US is in such desperate need of health care reform.

tjdeak said:   The same thing happened to a friend of mine several years ago who actually did not have insurance. He said they removed the cotton with tweezers and charged him $200 b/c they considered it "outpatient surgery!!!!" I told him he should have just called me or a family member to remove it. This is why the US is in such desperate need of health care reform.

I think part of the problem is that your friend felt he needed to go to a licensed professional with years of medical training to do this.

Floydian said:   This is the strangest OT FWF thread in awhile.Did you miss the thread on homemade... eh... personal device yesterday? too bad it's now locked.

link?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1256528/

This is why I can't stop visiting FWF.

BenH said:   these warnings are put there for people like the woman who sues McDonalds because she burns her mouth on hot coffee.

Go watch the documentary "Hot Coffee" and see how frivolous you think that lady's injuries were. Her mouth wasn't burned, it was her inner thigh which required skin grafts and countless surgeries to repair the damage caused by scalding hot coffee. Not disagreeing with the sentiment of your post, just sharing that I felt the same way about the frivolous lawsuit posterchild "McDonald's hot coffee lady" until I watched the documentary that shows what all she actually went through as a result of McD's negligence.

FreddyPharkas said:   Nothing more satisfying than to pull out and see a thick orange coating on the tip.

Are you still talking about sex?

raringvt said:   BenH said:   these warnings are put there for people like the woman who sues McDonalds because she burns her mouth on hot coffee.

Go watch the documentary "Hot Coffee" and see how frivolous you think that lady's injuries were. Her mouth wasn't burned, it was her inner thigh which required skin grafts and countless surgeries to repair the damage caused by scalding hot coffee. Not disagreeing with the sentiment of your post, just sharing that I felt the same way about the frivolous lawsuit posterchild "McDonald's hot coffee lady" until I watched the documentary that shows what all she actually went through as a result of McD's negligence.
It was below the boiling point and that's how a lot of people like it. Do I feel bad for her, yes, McD's negligence? NOT.

I know an ENT, and he always says "Don't put anything smaller than your finger in your ear," and recommends no q-tips for this.

I would complain to your insurance company about this, and find out what they paid him for the service already.

The OP has referenced an article I posted about back in May when it was published. Here is the thread: www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1195281/

Text

ZenNUTS said:   http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1256528/

This is why I can't stop visiting FWF.

Perhaps he could just tell us what it was he injured exactly...

digitaldoc said:   I know an ENT, and he always says "Don't put anything smaller than your finger in your ear," and recommends no q-tips for this.

I would complain to your insurance company about this, and find out what they paid him for the service already.

Do they make Q-Tips the size of my finger?

Of course it was below the boiling point. Otherwise it would be steam. That doesn't make it safe. They tell you do keep your water heater at 120ish. At 150+ you get instant burns. From what I remember, the coffee was even hotter than that.

Reading this thread makes me want to clean out my ears.

asabase said:   Of course it was below the boiling point. Otherwise it would be steam. That doesn't make it safe. They tell you do keep your water heater at 120ish. At 150+ you get instant burns. From what I remember, the coffee was even hotter than that.It's coffee, not bath water.

Want to be safe(r), don't drink hot liquid while driving! Or better, don't leave home or breed.

FreddyPharkas said:   qcumber98 said:   As a Q-tip addict, I can tell you that if you keep putting Q-tips in your ear you will get earaches. But there's nothing better than a Q-tip when your ear canal itches.

Sometimes better than sex. Also nothing more satisfying than to pull out and see a thick orange coating on the tip.

Obviously you are not doing it right.

This is why I love FWF....a 2 page discussion of earwax. Suggestion for next topic: Hemorroids.

Seriously, OP: why would you go to the doctor over some loose cotton in your ear? Should have just used some water to flush it out and/or some tweezers to lift it out. Its not like it can go anywhere, unlike foreign objects in most bodily orfices.

Could you all please SPEAK UP, I can't hear you.

OP, I know the feeling. I was told by a doc that a diagnostic procedure is usually covered 100% by insurance. The insurance company covered ZERO and I was stuck with a $2,800 bill. The hospital said that they do payment plans, and I am currently paying $150/month... they charge zero interest, I guess that is nice of them

I haven't read the replies to your OP, so looking at past threads might already have been recommended to you...

I was looking into this general topic a few weeks ago on Fatwallet and I found these previous Fatwallet threads about it:

Patients save by paying cash for medical care and not using insurance
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1195281/

Article on Health Care Math
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1181467/

I like how everyone assumes doctors like the current system. We hate it. I would much prefer to just have a list with my prices. But everyone bitched and moaned about this in the 50s and 60s and then insurance got involved then the goverment got involved and now everyone is pissed off even more. But at least the goverment is looking out for us.

Heaven forbid we allow a free market in this country.

tolamapS said:   jfunk138 said:   In most other situations when business transactions are conducted the way doctors and insurance companies do them, it's called organized crime.

I agree. This could be solved in one day, with one bill from Congress.

This bill would require the following:

1. At the time of service, doctor presents an estimate of service to be performed, with estimated, not-to-exceed price,
2. Doctor reserves the right to send bill to insurance, but only with patient's approval. Doctor, by submitting to insurance, contractually agrees that if submitted to insurance, the final out-of-pocket pay to patient should not exceed price in #1,
3. The above is written on a paper, "This is a binding contract by Doctor according to US Code #abcd",
4. The above #1 and #2 and #3 are law. If doctor fails to provide the above, it is now a criminal matter.

Doctor can refuse service, but can not agree to provide service and skip #1 and #2.

You really think this would work? I will then just charge everyone 1 milllion dollars *taps fingers together* for #1. I can't believe this got green. It is stupid ass ideas like this that has caused the problem in the first place.

Sorry to get back on topic, but -
Has anyone used sites like newchoicehealth.com to successfully compare healthcare costs? Do you actually get charged the price listed? Are there other sites like this that are helpful?

It's crazy when you search a site like that - there is greater than an order of magnitude difference in prices for the same service within the same city. For example, chest x-ray in Boston ranges from $220-$2700. Insane.

nwill002 said:   peroxide in ear... dissolve the wax and kill off common colds before you really catch them

Most colds come in via the ear? That's an interesting immunological theory.

For the best prices when visiting any medical facility tell them you are uninsured and need to pay out of pocket.
The markups magically disappear then.

If OP had done this he would have paid his $60 then and there.
Also, im surprised OP didnt bring up the price with the doctor who performed the extraction.

Lessons learned :
1) Not to use cheap Q-tips.
2) Do not trust doctors office or the insurance companies, both are legal scandals.
3) Try to solve it yourselves before you even go to a doctor and unless it is an emergency.
4) Suing will only increase the cost of the product/service to others. Another legal scandal.
5) Put the name of the practice in FW and write bad reviews everywhere.

BenH said:   While the labels of Q-tips products *may* say (I don't have a box to check) and conventional wisdom is to not stick them in your ear canal, these warnings are put there for people like the woman who sues McDonalds because she burns her mouth on hot coffee.

Are you sure it was her mouth? I think the lawsuit you are referring to had nothing to do with burning her mouth and was not the frivolous suit most people think it is.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014