• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
MitchFlorida said:   What good is the American Express Blue Card except for the $150? I have a BofA Card that gives the same benefits, plus free interest on purchases for a year.

I may get this for the $150 and then cancel it as soon as I receive it. A lot of places don't accept the AE card.

I'm not sure what Bank of America card(Cash rewards?)you have, but the difference between those two that is important to me is that they switch the Gas stations and Grocery stores. I personally spend more at the grocery store -- so the 3% is a bigger incentive. If you drive alot, the 3% at gas stations(Instead of 2% on AMEX Blue)would be better.

MitchFlorida said:   What good is the American Express Blue Card except for the $150? I have a BofA Card that gives the same benefits, plus free interest on purchases for a year.

I may get this for the $150 and then cancel it as soon as I receive it. A lot of places don't accept the AE card.

They are similar in terms of CBs:

BoA:
1% Cash Back on purchases everywhere, every time
2% on groceries and 3% on gas for the first $1,500 in combined gas and grocery purchases each quarter

AMEX BCE:
Get 3% Cash Back at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets, 2% Cash Back on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, 2% Cash Back at select major department stores; and 1% Cash Back on other purchases. Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. The first $6,000 of purchases at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets in a calendar year qualifies for 3% Cash Back; 1% thereafter. Cash Back is earned only on eligible purchases.

I'd take 3% on grocery rather than 2% since I get gas discounts from the grocery store. Plus, I have 5% CB on gas, so I never gonna use 3 or 2% card on gas. But that's my preference.

I can not get AMEX to show up from the website. Is this a done deal?

chrislee9734 said:   I can not get AMEX to show up from the website. Is this a done deal?
no. just worked for me.

Others haven't mentioned, but I posted in a different thread. this produces a third offer - 45k Skymiles on the Delta Gold AMEX.

imbatman said:   chrislee9734 said:   I can not get AMEX to show up from the website. Is this a done deal?
no. just worked for me.

Others haven't mentioned, but I posted in a different thread. this produces a third offer - 45k Skymiles on the Delta Gold AMEX.

Did you have to input your ssn?

nice signup bonus thread btw.

I left SSN blank.
Thank you.

Data Point. It says in the terms on the application page for the Blue Cash Preferred® Card:

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Blue Cash® Card account within the last 90 days"

- I actually had a Consumer Blue Cash Card open and closed it before I applied for the Blue Cash Preferred. Got the card today and verified account is coded to get the 250 after 1000 in purchases...

Never have had the Blue Cash Everyday or Preferred Cards so must be what they are looking for churn on...

FYI, when you follow the process in the OP, there's also a 50k MR bonus for the AMEX personal card after 1k spend in 3 months

imbatman said:   FYI, when you follow the process in the OP, there's also a 50k MR bonus for the AMEX personal card after 1k spend in 3 months

American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card

Earn More: earn 50K Membership Rewards® points after you spend $1,000 during your first 3 months of Card membership; earn 15K points after you spend $30,000 within one calendar year
Earn Fast: Earn triple points on airfare, double points on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, double points at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets, and single points on other purchase
Points are earned only on eligible purchases
Redeem with Flexibility - use points for gift cards for dining, entertainment, and to shop over 300 brands
Access to Benefits: enjoy the Baggage Insurance Plan* when you travel, and shop with confidence with Extended Warranty* and Return Protection. *Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company
Preferred Seating - select concerts, shows, major sporting events, and more
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175

maddybeagle said:   Got the card today and verified account is coded to get the 250 after 1000 in purchases...

Did you verify the promotion through a CSR, or did you look it up yourself? I just received my card, and there is no documentation about the promotion.

c3 said:   maddybeagle said:   Got the card today and verified account is coded to get the 250 after 1000 in purchases...

Did you verify the promotion through a CSR, or did you look it up yourself? I just received my card, and there is no documentation about the promotion.

Its been awhile that you asked this, but I verified with CSR and already rec. the 250 dollar bonus...documentation does note the 15 month 0% on purchases...

c3 said:   maddybeagle said:   Got the card today and verified account is coded to get the 250 after 1000 in purchases...

I was concerned about this also as I realized i may not be eligible for the 50k MR points as I am a zync card holder.

I called CS yesterday and was advised "I was one of the chosen few..." (yeah right) and that the promotion was indeed on my PRG card.

Does Costco count as groceries?

outlawnyc said:   Does Costco count as groceries? The terms state that the 6% is for independent supermarkets, so no Costco, Target, WalMart, etc. AFAIK

Costco is: Merchandise & Supplies - Wholesale Stores

Thanks, just got approved for Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.

Does anybody know if it can be downgraded to fee free card (e.g. Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express) in future if needed?

jd3695 said:   outlawnyc said:   Does Costco count as groceries? The terms state that the 6% is for independent supermarkets, so no Costco, Target, WalMart, etc. AFAIK

So, Frys foods, safeway, Kroger would count as " U.S. stand-alone supermarkets"???

jhatka said:   Thanks, just got approved for Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.

Does anybody know if it can be downgraded to fee free card (e.g. Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express) in future if needed?

I was told after you have the card one year ( and you might as well keep it a year since you pay the annual fee right away ), you can choose to downgrade ( or upgrade if you want to go from Everyday to Preferred ).

Probably old news, but AMEX rep confirmed with me that the 6% on first 6K of grocery purchases on the Preferred Card is definitely based on calendar year (Jan - Dec) and not anniversary date. So if you get this card late in the year, put 6k on it by December 31st you will get $360 back. You could then put 6k on it in early 2014 for another $360 and cancel card after that if you liked. Only 1 $75 Annual fee and $720 back in rewards dollars just on the grocery store purchases. To guarantee the $250 offer sticks around you could get it now and just make sure you spend 6K by end of December and 6K before your anniversary date next year to skip out on an additional $75 annual fee.

jhatka said:   jd3695 said:   outlawnyc said:   Does Costco count as groceries? The terms state that the 6% is for independent supermarkets, so no Costco, Target, WalMart, etc. AFAIK

So, Frys foods, safeway, Kroger would count as " U.S. stand-alone supermarkets"???

I have used at safeway and Kroger (Smith's) stores with no problems.

hoops77 said:   Probably old news, but AMEX rep confirmed with me that the 6% on first 6K of grocery purchases on the Preferred Card is definitely based on calendar year (Jan - Dec) and not anniversary date. So if you get this card late in the year, put 6k on it by December 31st you will get $360 back. You could then put 6k on it in early 2014 for another $360 and cancel card after that if you liked. Only 1 $75 Annual fee and $720 back in rewards dollars just on the grocery store purchases. To guarantee the $250 offer sticks around you could get it now and just make sure you spend 6K by end of December and 6K before your anniversary date next year to skip out on an additional $75 annual fee.I don't get it, why would you get rid of a card that gives you $360 back on groceries and the annual fee is only $75? If you spend $6000 on groceries in a year then you are making $285 a year in rewards every year you have the card, why cancel it then?

Damn, that $360 is killer. If they would bump the amount to approx $10k that would be better. I suppose it's still worth it. I just hate annual fees.

This is a card I'm definitely going to get when I have more than just me and my fiancee to feed in the coming years.

emp1 said:   hoops77 said:   Probably old news, but AMEX rep confirmed with me that the 6% on first 6K of grocery purchases on the Preferred Card is definitely based on calendar year (Jan - Dec) and not anniversary date. So if you get this card late in the year, put 6k on it by December 31st you will get $360 back. You could then put 6k on it in early 2014 for another $360 and cancel card after that if you liked. Only 1 $75 Annual fee and $720 back in rewards dollars just on the grocery store purchases. To guarantee the $250 offer sticks around you could get it now and just make sure you spend 6K by end of December and 6K before your anniversary date next year to skip out on an additional $75 annual fee.I don't get it, why would you get rid of a card that gives you $360 back on groceries and the annual fee is only $75? If you spend $6000 on groceries in a year then you are making $285 a year in rewards every year you have the card, why cancel it then?

Penfed gives me 3% on groceries (no limit). So, it is like getting extra $105 per year after fee. Not too bad but not that great either...

i know what the terms say but does anyone have any datapoints of getting a bonus on both a preferred and everyday card? I accidentally apped for a Everyday last year and now deciding if I should convert my Everyday (to save a hard pull and another dip on my Average Age) or take a chance and apping for a Preferred.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.