• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Okay finally complete details are out:

Financing Deal

Looks like even more than $10 billion. I would suppose the extra few billion it to beef up the cash position even more than it already is.

RamonaThePest said:   The SEC is now investigating this deal...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/report-sec-investigating-...

They aren't investigating the deal itself they're investigating the odd volume spike in the option market right before it was announced which has been in the news since the deal was made public. The investigation is for insider trading which has nothing to do with whether the deal gets approved(which it will).

Stubtify said:   Banana Ketchup for the win! UFC spicy brand. Seriously better than anything else.
Banana Ketchup is only for Hot Dog spaghetti

dshibb true I should have worded that better. But the spike is telling, imo...

Don't want lizard sauce on ANYTHING thanks.

Junk equity!

JonnyRock said:   Stubtify said:   Banana Ketchup for the win! UFC spicy brand. Seriously better than anything else.
Banana Ketchup is only for Hot Dog spaghetti

Its pretty awesome on breakfast potatoes & eggs. Also great on anything fried; french fries, chicken. And of course, it is essential my secret spaghetti recipe.

ScrawneyWallet said:   wpgabriel said:   dshibb said:   For all intensive purposes ...

Would you be willing to elaborate on the relaxed purposes too?

My most memorable malapropism was a conversation I had with a female college prof. who was apologizing for not getting back to me sooner because her "schedule had been really erotic lately." I just kept a straight face and nodded in agreement. And before anyone asks, no, I don't have pics.

And one I have to share is when a long time ago, a fellow student introduced us to the new post-doc research associate as our "adjunct facility". The poor lady was so embarrassed but kept on a brave face.

jwillgoesfast said:   have any of you guys read "the snowball" about buffet? I'm finishing it up now and it is a very interesting read, learning that a lot of my assumptions about the guy were off.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Snowball-Warren-Buffett-Business/dp/05...

I literally just started reading this last night. I finished "Tap Dancing to Work" a couple weeks ago. For someone who wasn't that familiar with the guy, it was awesome. I didn't want it to end. I learned more about investing from that book than I did in 4 years of getting a finance degree. The guy is just awesome at life, not just investing.

Interesting thread. Of the recent deals I thought the Dell deal was much better for the acquirer. Althought it might be too good.

chripuck said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Squeezer99 said:   I always buy store brand ketchup. It all tastes the same to me
Wow - that's great for you since you can enjoy the cheap stuff

Store brands rarely taste the same to me. I gladly pay for higher quality foodstuffs and I can taste the difference . Good thing I dont like wine or coffee ,

Wow SIS you're usually so sharp on these things. I can tell you from personal experience in the CPG industry, that the VAST majority of store brand food is made by the same name brand company. These big box stores effectively buy in bulk, negotiate their own sticker on it and the name brand company profits without losing brand value. Example: in the southeast WalMart Milk is actually Mayfield Milk... Yep, the milk that costs $4/gallon can be had for half that price by buying store brand.

You can't get WalMart milk for $2 a gallon. You can't get WalMart milk for $3 a gallon.

I haven't had time yet to follow Buffet's acquisition but this thread really helped me catch up on what's been happening.

chripuck said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Squeezer99 said:   I always buy store brand ketchup. It all tastes the same to me
Wow - that's great for you since you can enjoy the cheap stuff

Store brands rarely taste the same to me. I gladly pay for higher quality foodstuffs and I can taste the difference . Good thing I dont like wine or coffee ,

Wow SIS you're usually so sharp on these things. I can tell you from personal experience in the CPG industry, that the VAST majority of store brand food is made by the same name brand company. These big box stores effectively buy in bulk, negotiate their own sticker on it and the name brand company profits without losing brand value. Example: in the southeast WalMart Milk is actually Mayfield Milk... Yep, the milk that costs $4/gallon can be had for half that price by buying store brand.

I agree. Back in 2007, there was a recall on Peter Pan and Great Value (Wal-Mart brand) peanut butter for salmonela. My girlfriend at the time happened to be a big Peter Pan fan and didn't like the fact that I usually bought generic brand food items. I enjoyed her having to realize they were the same product.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm085600.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Value#Great_Value
Products offered at WalMart through the Great Value brand are claimed to be as good as national brand offerings, but are typically sold at a lower price because of minimal marketing and advertising expense. As a house or generic brand, the Great Value line does not consist of goods produced by WalMart, but is a labeling system for items manufactured and packaged by a number of agricultural and food corporations, such as ConAgra, Sara Lee which, in addition to releasing products under its own brands and exclusively for WalMart, also manufactures and brands foods for a variety of other chain stores.
The way I see most items is that you can get used to, and start liking, any brand. Most of us like the peanut butter, or OJ, or soda that we got used to as a kid. Switch to generic brand peanut butter, OJ, and soda, and you'll just get used to that. Just because it may taste different, doesn't mean it tastes worse (although I could see some items maybe not being as good for you). Also, stop drinking soda.

cristinaaaron said:   07pilot4me said:   All I can say is they better not mess with the ketchup recipe, one of My can't live without condiments (don't pull a makers mark)

^^^^ Has not tried Sir Kensington's Gourmet Scooping Ketchup

I have, it tastes like salsa.

And my money is on 3G substituting cheaper ingredients into Heinz products to goose profits. The new products will be marketed as "New and Improved" which means that it cost them 10% less to make, but tastes 5% worse.

gotsmack said:   cristinaaaron said:   07pilot4me said:   All I can say is they better not mess with the ketchup recipe, one of My can't live without condiments (don't pull a makers mark)

^^^^ Has not tried Sir Kensington's Gourmet Scooping Ketchup

I have, it tastes like salsa.

And Heinz my money is on 3G substituting cheaper ingredients into Heinz products to goose profits. The new products will be marketed as "New and Improved" which means that it cost them 10% less to make, but tastes 5% worse.

I sincerely doubt it.
A) Buffett would have absolutely nothing to do with that. He hates it when companies with a solid brand presence and with nothing broken try to mess with their bread and butter
B) 3G's brilliant management of Inbev made it the strongest player in Europe culminating in it's purchase of Anheuser Busch. Nothing negative has happened to Inbev or Anheuser Busch since being taken over by Inbev.

The story of an owner of a Brazilian beer manufacturer who ended up taking over the biggest beer brands of Europe and then of the United States and creating the largest beer manufacturer in the world is truly an amazing story. I don't have really any doubts in their ability to improve Heinz's profits operationally without negatively affecting the quality of their signature ketchup.

dshibb said:   
B) 3G's brilliant management of Inbev made it the strongest player in Europe culminating in it's purchase of Anheuser Busch. Nothing negative has happened to Inbev or Anheuser Busch since being taken over by Inbev.

Except that use of cheaper ingredients is apparently exactly what is happening at inbev: According to Bloomberg.

Maybe it doesn't really matter that Budweiser is being made with rice fragments instead of full grains, but that is a perfect example of messing with a long-established brand for a little extra profit.

skeurto said:   dshibb said:   

Except that use of cheaper ingredients is apparently exactly what is happening at inbev: According to Bloomberg.

Maybe it doesn't really matter that Budweiser is being made with rice fragments instead of full grains, but that is a perfect example of messing with a long-established brand for a little extra profit.

Huh, I'll be damned. You know I haven't noticed any difference in the taste of Budweiser and Stella since those guys got involved with Inbev and Budweiser, but I guess I just must not have the discerning taste I thought I had.

Haven't had a Beck's in ages.

Good to know.

I was wondering why there was no mention of the political angle to this. John Kerry recently was elevated to SoS...whose wife happens to have a stake in the Heinz business empire. Unless Kerry was filing separately all these years (like the McCains do), wasnt she required to liquidate her equity stake to comply with his new appointment?

dshibb said:   Huh, I'll be damned. You know I haven't noticed any difference in the taste of Budweiser and Stella since those guys got involved with Inbev and Budweiser,

Stella now tastes worse than horse urine. It was a spectacular tasting beer before inBev bought it and ruined it.

TheWalL said:   dshibb said:   Huh, I'll be damned. You know I haven't noticed any difference in the taste of Budweiser and Stella since those guys got involved with Inbev and Budweiser,

Stella now tastes worse than horse urine. It was a spectacular tasting beer before inBev bought it and ruined it.

I love Stella. Not my favorite beer, but it's not far off.

Buffett will kill thousands of jobs with this deal. And no, Heinz ketchup will never taste the same again.

TheWalL said:   I was wondering why there was no mention of the political angle to this. John Kerry recently was elevated to SoS...whose wife happens to have a stake in the Heinz business empire. Unless Kerry was filing separately all these years (like the McCains do), wasnt she required to liquidate her equity stake to comply with his new appointment?

They file seperate and she had a very minimal share in the company anyway. She disclosed this during his presidential nomination.

From what I've heard, he plans to turn it upside down and just wait

TheWalL said:   dshibb said:   Huh, I'll be damned. You know I haven't noticed any difference in the taste of Budweiser and Stella since those guys got involved with Inbev and Budweiser,

Inquiring minds want to know....

1) I cannot eat any other ketchup than Heinz, and I can tell the difference (I normally buy generic for everything else). And I can tell when a fast food place uses it (BK, MCD).
2) Nothing to admire Buffett here for. He's pulling a 1%er deal. He's being a p*ssy as usual sticking to pfd.
3) I still despise him as a human and an investor.

jkimcpa said:   1) I cannot eat any other ketchup than Heinz, and I can tell the difference (I normally buy generic for everything else). And I can tell when a fast food place uses it (BK, MCD).
2) Nothing to admire Buffett here for. He's pulling a 1%er deal. He's being a p*ssy as usual sticking to pfd.

Why do not like him? His politics?

Feel free to go full rant because I'm genuinely interested.

dshibb said:   jkimcpa said:   1) I cannot eat any other ketchup than Heinz, and I can tell the difference (I normally buy generic for everything else). And I can tell when a fast food place uses it (BK, MCD).

Why do not like him? His politics?

Feel free to go full rant because I'm genuinely interested.

Yes, please elaborate. What is there to despise about Buffett??? Can't wait for this one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014