International Money Transfers

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I'm new to this, so apologies. But has anyone used a good service in the US to transfer money abroad?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

don't know a good one, but don't use xoom. they are unsafe.

i use xe.com - there rates are competitive enough for an occasional user and you can fund and withdraw with no fees.

Can you get any more specific?
country
approx. amount
one-time or periodic
business or personal

sunspotzsz said:   don't know a good one, but don't use xoom. they are unsafe.

Can you explain? I've used Xoom many times to fund a checking account in the UK. The money shows in the account in less than 30 minutes. Only $5. Never had a problem. My transactions are relatively small.

I am looking for someone who could give me USD$'s here in exchange of rupees in India - Fair and Clean transaction
Also I am looking at other options like wire

sunspotzsz said:   don't know a good one, but don't use xoom. they are unsafe.

I've found xoom to be entirely safe.

Oddly, "sunspotzsz" is quick to pipe up on threads that xoom is unsafe, but provides no explanations for holding that opinion. For example: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/travel-discussion/1251734/

awkforeigner said:   I'm new to this, so apologies. But has anyone used a good service in the US to transfer money abroad?

Awkforeigner, this question gets asked somewhere on Fatwallet several times a month, and has been for many years.

===
The best thing to do when you have a question and you are new to the site is to do a site search to see if it's already been thoroughly covered.

You can access the search function via the big white search box that is in the upper right of every FW page.

===
Another method of asking a simple question is to post it in the "new users" thread, which is the topmost thread on the Finance forum page:

"!!! WELCOME NEW USERS !!! Ask your questions here! (flame-free) !!!"
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/796908/

===
This is a recent thread on the issue of international money transfers:

"Cheapest International money transfers?"
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1251601/

===
This is a thread on international money transfers from a couple of years ago, but it's got good info in it:

"Inexpensive ways to send money from one country/currency to another."
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1004405/

===
My thoughts on international money transfers:

Xoom is the best and cheapest and easiest-to-set-up foreign exchange method that I have found for my purposes.

Normally the fee to use xoom.com is a flat fee of $4.95 for any amount of transaction, if you use a bank account for funding. (Funding with a credit card costs more, and I think it's a % of the transaction, but I haven't done it myself so am not sure about that.)

There were a couple of years when xoom.com had no coupons/discounts that I could discover, BUT the last 2 times that I've done an international transfer with xoom (Oct 2012 and Dec 2012), I had to pay no fee whatsoever because I used a coupon code that I found on another money-saving website.

Ok guys. Thanks. I had called xoom, they were extremely unhelpful and actually rude. I looked around and found usforex. Thoughts? Googled them and saw a few articles from the wall street journal. I'm looking to transfer us dollars to ozzy dollars. i will likely try usforex and see how it goes. stay tuned. i was also informed their first transfer is free.

I just did my first transfer through USForex. I am very happy with them. Great customer service. Fast transaction. I had to pay for a wire to get the money to them, but they reimbursed me for it. Overall, very positive experience. Transfer was quick. Will use them again.

I've been very happy with xe.com, excellent rates and no fees (except a small wire fee but I've never used wires). Check or ACH (including international equivalents) payments are free. You can set currency limits (like buying stocks) to get your currency price if you want. Their account setup process takes a while though.

Also just realized there are limits on what you can send. Xoom doesn't allow anything over 3k. For larger amounts you have to use a different service.

NEDeals said:   I've been very happy with xe.com, excellent rates and no fees (except a small wire fee but I've never used wires). Check or ACH (including international equivalents) payments are free. You can set currency limits (like buying stocks) to get your currency price if you want. Their account setup process takes a while though.

NEDeals, did you compare your rate from xe with the bank? if so, what did you save?

awkforeigner said:   NEDeals said:   I've been very happy with xe.com, excellent rates and no fees (except a small wire fee but I've never used wires). Check or ACH (including international equivalents) payments are free. You can set currency limits (like buying stocks) to get your currency price if you want. Their account setup process takes a while though.

NEDeals, did you compare your rate from xe with the bank? if so, what did you save?

The rate was much better than the bank, and there were no transaction fees. I don't recall the actual numbers, but you can check the current buy/sell rates at xe.com

As I wrote above, the following thread is very useful.

It contains a great deal of information about xe.com and other options, if you have decided that xoom is not for you.

This is a thread on international money transfers from a couple of years ago, but it's got good info in it:

"Inexpensive ways to send money from one country/currency to another."
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1004405/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.