Car repairs/bill dispute?

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Al3xK said:   Glitch99 said:   Al3xK said:   Sorry I didn't say that I have access to dealer auctions. Either way, putting ~$1600 into a $2500 car isn't worth it to me. It's pretty much totaled. Seems like OP really likes this car.You are thinking of the car as an investment, when it's really a utility. That $1600 wasnt invested in the value of an asset, it bought him XX,000 more miles of travel. Likely very efficient spending, relative to other options.

Typically I'd say a car is more of a commodity than a utility. It is definitely money invested in an asset. And it's also an asset, worth, lets say ~$2k before repair. If he sold the car for $2k and then added the $1600 he planned for repairs, he would be in much better shape with a different $3600 accord. CV joints on an old accord?? That's not money well spent.

If (car value pre repair) + (repair dollars) > (car value post repair)
Then don't do it.
again, the cost of a repair has nothing to do with the value of the car. The efficiency of paying for a repair is determined by what the repair gets you - which is more usefulness.

If you consider a car to be an asset, you'd never buy one because they only depreciate. And I don't mean buying them to flip, I mean buying them to drive.

It's a depreciating asset, yes. At the moment when he decides to repair/sell, it's just an asset with a value. The car was worth ~$3-3.5k pre-repair. Post repair it's probably worth $3.4k-$4k.

So, ignoring what you plan to do with the car, when I have an asset worth ~$3.3k and I'm deciding whether to invest $1.6k into it for a return of ~$500, I'd say don't do it.

If you want to factor in intangibles such as 'peace of mind'...that's another discussion.

Al3xK said:   It's a depreciating asset, yes. At the moment when he decides to repair/sell, it's just an asset with a value. The car was worth ~$3-3.5k pre-repair. Post repair it's probably worth $3.4k-$4k.

So, ignoring what you plan to do with the car, when I have an asset worth ~$3.3k and I'm deciding whether to invest $1.6k into it for a return of ~$500, I'd say don't do it.

If you want to factor in intangibles such as 'peace of mind'...that's another discussion.
You are still missing the point...

He didnt put $1600 into the car to add $500 of value. He paid $1,600 to buy XX,000 more miles of utility.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014