• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am a Sprint user in California using New York number. The cell phone tax is not abnormally high right now, but I am thinking to switch over to AT&T which is supposed to charge more on cell phone tax. In some Internet article, it says change the billing address to other state could lower the cell phone tax. At the mean time, Verizon requires the user to change the phone number to the area code where the billing address is, while Sprint doesnít. But there is no information for AT&T. AT&T csr canít help too. So these are some of my questions for the gurus here.
1. I want to use my New York number and change my billing address to Nevada, will that work with AT&T?
2. For a pre-tax $60 bill, how much can it be usually after cell phone tax for AT&T?

Thanks

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Short version: I want to commit tax fraud. Can someone help?

syralum said:   I am a Sprint user in California using New York number. The cell phone tax is not abnormally high right now, but I am thinking to switch over to AT&T which is supposed to charge more on cell phone tax. In some Internet article, it says change the billing address to other state could lower the cell phone tax. At the mean time, Verizon requires the user to change the phone number to the area code where the billing address is, while Sprint doesnít. But there is no information for AT&T. AT&T csr canít help too. So these are some of my questions for the gurus here.
1. I want to use my New York number and change my billing address to Nevada, will that work with AT&T?
2. For a pre-tax $60 bill, how much can it be usually after cell phone tax for AT&T?

Thanks

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Service. Unfortunately, in most cases our system does not allow a Nevada address with a New York phone number. If you'll provide your account number, I'd be happy to check and see if your account of one of the few that is eligible for a Nevada address.

Cheers,
David, AT&T Online Customer Service

I had a similar issue when I switched to AT&T. I live in Texas but my numbers are Louisiana numbers and I didn't want to switch them. So I started a new account and was going to roll the numbers from Sprint to AT&T when I got the phone. Customer service couldn't get it done. They have a special team that can handle these types of number assignments. It was my third call when I finally got a rep that said "oh yeah we can do that let me get you to the department that can do it" the previous calls all I got was "yeah we can't do that you'll have to cancel these accounts and start new ones in Louisiana".

That's weird... I have a New York phone number in Austin. Had AT&T when I moved here, switched to Verizon, and they had no problem. Billing address for AT&T was various other places over the years and they never had an issue letting me keep my old number. I'd be furious if they made me switch.

I don't think California charges more for some carriers than for others, but when/if you switch, you'll probably be getting new equipment and California is the only state that charges sales tax on the retail value of the phone, not the discounted contract cost. (This seems idiotic and quite possibly illegal to me. If I buy a pair of jeans on sale, I pay tax on the price I pay, not on the MSRP. Cell phones almost never sell at the MSRP; there's no justification for collecting tax on that basis.)

If this Forbes article or this .. erm ... whatever it is is where you got the advice to "move" to Nevada, you might want to note that these postings are from 2005 and 2007 respectively. I would be very, very surprised if this loophole hasn't been sewn up since then.

In my experience with Sprint, the taxes aren't directly tied to your billing address. I always seem to get charged the wrong taxes for up to a year after moving.

Sprint is tied directly to address. i changed mine to cali and pay $5 vs $25 i would pay in nyc.

I don't know about you, but I haven't paid a single penny in this category of taxes ever since I switched to tmobile prepaid in 2008. i refill my card by buying those refill card online at 5-10% discount.

When I moved from TX to VA last year, the taxes on my bill went down after I changed my address. Kept my TX number and never got any notice I needed to change it. With Verizon.

AT&T did not make me change my number when I moved from NYC to Milwaukee. Makes my number easy to recognize...it's probably the only (718) area code phone here.

Switch to PagePlus. Only Ohio residents pay tax. Give them any address you want. They don't care. $69.99 per month no tax for unlimited talk & text and 5GB of data on a strong network. Use any out of contract Verizon phone. They have cheaper plans if you need less. It's also a great way to keep a number in reserve if you don't necessarily need an extra phone but you have a number that has been in your family for decades that you don't want to surrender. That ends up costing only $30 a year.

dawhim said:   I don't know about you, but I haven't paid a single penny in this category of taxes ever since I switched to tmobile prepaid in 2008. i refill my card by buying those refill card online at 5-10% discount.

Where can you get the refill cards at a 5-10% discount?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014