• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I also have MAV in my portfolio. A closed-end municipal bond ETF that pays MONTHLY TAX FREE dividends. Although the tax free part is not very beneficial to me since my income gets taxed at 15% bracket. -_- Any thoughts?

rated:
kosjunk said:   I also have MAV in my portfolio. A closed-end municipal bond ETF that pays MONTHLY TAX FREE dividends. Although the tax free part is not very beneficial to me since my income gets taxed at 15% bracket. -_- Any thoughts?
  In a perfectly efficient market, investments that are not subject to income tax would be more sought after by individuals in the highest tax brackets such that the risk-adjusted, after tax return of investments not subject to income tax would equal that of investments of similar risk that are not tax-free for those in the highest brackets, and would have a lower risk-adjusted, after tax return for everyone in lower brackets.  Of course, we do not have a perfectly efficient market, but how inefficient do you think the market really is?

So, IMO, you're better off going for a bond ETF with similar risk that is not tax free, but compare the numbers are see for yourself.

rated:
kosjunk said:   Anybody ever look at PHK? Although this is a closed-end fund and it has annual management expenses, I still like the fact that it has been paying steady monthly dividends since June 2003. Monthly compounding is a very powerful tool. Only sad part is that this stock does not appreciate in value and has steadily remained at the same price...

Steady? Looks to me like it is still a good 10-20% lower now than its pre-2008 crash average and in a continued shallow downtrend over the long term even taking out the crash.

rated:
GamingG, thanks for the advice. acroBios, thanks for pointing that out, I'm pretty sure that it won't hit the $14-15 mark anymore unless there's a huge demand for PHK or some huge investor injects a significant amount of dough into that closed-end etf. Hopefully they don't cut their dividend because I'm already counting my chickens before they hatch 20 years from now!

rated:
PHK sells at a substantial premium to its NAV (XPHKX). People seem willing to pay that premium for the income stream and PIMCO's name, but a 60% premium is too rich for me.

rated:
what u guys think of kweb?

rated:
What is the "Free Blog"?

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   
bluegreenturtle said:   I have ORC, the reason to own is the dividend.  It may appreciate some - see seeking alpha article today.  Note it is highly leveraged. 
  I plugged ORC into that Think or Swim chart and indicator system that I stole from the blog and the chart-indicators have sell signals almost completing since the price hit $14.   But I just love the huge dividends I get every month!!  Choices, choices...  Ex-div is 2/23/15... I'll try to hold until then.

Gee... I was kicking myself for selling at $14 on that sell signal I got from that free blog... but today I just bought it back at $13.20... But there was no buy signal so it might go lower... I may buy more if there is a buy signal. 

rated:
neuma1bm2 said:   What is the "Free Blog"?
  I sent you a private mail reply.

rated:
ARCP will release the corrected and delayed financials premarket on Monday. Anyone going for this high risk play?

rated:
GamingG said:   ARCP will release the corrected and delayed financials premarket on Monday. Anyone going for this high risk play?
  Dumped mine a month ago.  I am sure they will be fine and high profit but I looked at their holdings and realized that they are leasing to a part of america that I don't understand or want to...red lobster, albertsons, ihop, chilis, applebees, cvs.  Ugh.  Made a nice profit on the sale though.

rated:
GamingG said:   ARCP will release the corrected and delayed financials premarket on Monday. Anyone going for this high risk play?
  Still holding.

rated:
I got in to ARCP at $9.33 back in December, then picked up some more near the bottom at $7.73 for an average cost basis of $8.38. Let's see if greed ends up biting me.

rated:
Would love to learn more about this "Free Blog" as well.

rated:
Looking4morecents said:   
  Still holding.

I put in a sell order a few minutes ago.  Huge volume today with little price movement.  And I just noticed today they have not paid the Jan or Feb dividend.  At this point I suspect the dividend will get cut and the price will fall.

rated:
Looking4morecents said:    I put in a sell order a few minutes ago.  Huge volume today with little price movement.  And I just noticed today they have not paid the Jan or Feb dividend.  At this point I suspect the dividend will get cut and the price will fall.
  You must not have been paying attention - they suspended their dividend a while back due to their accounting problems.  They have recently concluded their accounting restatements and those will be filed by the end of the month.  They have strongly suggested that their dividend will be reinstated later this year.

rated:
LO is dropping now that scrutiny of their merger is occurring as they get closer to finalizing the deal.
I have a sell at $70, but I don't think it's going to go back there.

rated:
Greatness said:   Would love to learn more about this "Free Blog" as well.

Anyone?

rated:
Greatness said:   

Anyone?

Same!!

rated:
Cashman said:   
Greatness said:   

Anyone?

Same!!

I know it is a pain, but if you read back through this thread (or maybe it was the individual stock thread) the actual name of the blog was dropped. I checked it out at the time, but don't remember the name.

rated:
wow stocks are dropping like crazy i bought tot at $55 and now losing a ton and rds/a

rated:

TOT chart (172.73kB)
Disclaimer
RagingBull said:   wow stocks are dropping like crazy i bought tot at $55 and now losing a ton and rds/a
  I don't know WHEN you bought TOT at $55.  If it was on 10/15/14, the first small horizontal oval on the attached chart, then you bought at the precise right time because you will see the corresponding buy signals on the day-charts of the oscillating indicators below with the red arrows point to buy signals.  Yes, you would have had to watch the stock price action AND the 4-hour charts of the oscillating indicators for the sell signals that occurred at the $59-$60/sh area a quick 3-4 weeks later.  Would have been a nice 9% gain in about 1 month.

But if you bought more recently around 2/5/15, the next small horizontal oval in the chart, then you bought at the precise wrong time because you will see the corresponding day chart oscillating indicator was approaching a sell signal (the 4-hour chart actually did hit a sell signal).  A quick 8.7% loss in about a month... ouch.

NOW the stock price has caused the oscillating indicators to form another buy signal on the day chart of the RSI, and almost on the other IMI indicator.  The  bottomTTM Squeeze indicator has a likely turning point as shown by the red vertical lines turning to yellow now.  Also I like how it is right at a long ago support level as drawn by the long grey horizontal line. By the odds and pattern, this is the WRONG time to sell TOT.  It suggests it's actually pretty close to buy signal (waiting for the IMI to join the other indicators).  

RDS/A has similar buy signals now.

Unfortunately here is the fly in the ointment for the above analysis.  Fundamentals trump all technical (or indicator) signals.  The fundamentals of oil companies is deteriorating.  If you look at the recent EPS of TOT it shows $1.11/sh.  That contrasts to a year ago of $1.475/sh.  See the two red arrows pointing to those data pointson the EPS data row.  .That is a 25% drop in EPS over last year's same quarter.  And upon further observation you'll notice that EVERY QUARTER of the past four quarter was lower than the corresponding year ago quarter.  Ouch.  No one likes lower EPS quarter after quarter compared to year ago.  And the price of oil just keeps going lower.  Double ouch.

If price of oil goes back up, TOT and similar stocks are technically poised to rally.  But they need a catalyst.  Is it worth it to buy now and wait for such catalyst?  Or stand to the side to see if it breaks below the support line?  You could buy here and place a stop-loss limit order a little below the support line.  You could sell naked puts at strike prices lower than currently traded so that you either collect premiums if the stock rises, or you get to purchase the stock at prices lower than currently trading. 

I'm standing to the side because of the FED meeting Wednesday (tomorrow).  Fundamentals trumps technicals but the FED trumps fundamentals!!
Above concepts all stolen from www.optionsforcash.com ... I added a few of my own observations for whatever that is worth.

rated:
Gee... I would have not guessed that removing the work "patience" from the FED interest rate policy would have caused the market to go up... But it appears to be the catalyst for the market to turn upward.  TOT and RDS/A doing pretty well as all energy stocks are.

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   Gee... I would have not guessed that removing the work "patience" from the FED interest rate policy would have caused the market to go up... But it appears to be the catalyst for the market to turn upward.  TOT and RDS/A doing pretty well as all energy stocks are.
  The removal of "the three words" was widely expected so no surprise there - the surprise was that the FED said that they would raise interest rates more slowly than expected which was good news for equities....at least that's what the WSJ says

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   
RagingBull said:   wow stocks are dropping like crazy i bought tot at $55 and now losing a ton and rds/a
  I don't know WHEN you bought TOT at $55.  If it was on 10/15/14, the first small horizontal oval on the attached chart, then you bought at the precise right time because you will see the corresponding buy signals on the day-charts of the oscillating indicators below with the red arrows point to buy signals.  Yes, you would have had to watch the stock price action AND the 4-hour charts of the oscillating indicators for the sell signals that occurred at the $59-$60/sh area a quick 3-4 weeks later.  Would have been a nice 9% gain in about 1 month.

But if you bought more recently around 2/5/15, the next small horizontal oval in the chart, then you bought at the precise wrong time because you will see the corresponding day chart oscillating indicator was approaching a sell signal (the 4-hour chart actually did hit a sell signal).  A quick 8.7% loss in about a month... ouch.

NOW the stock price has caused the oscillating indicators to form another buy signal on the day chart of the RSI, and almost on the other IMI indicator.  The  bottomTTM Squeeze indicator has a likely turning point as shown by the red vertical lines turning to yellow now.  Also I like how it is right at a long ago support level as drawn by the long grey horizontal line. By the odds and pattern, this is the WRONG time to sell TOT.  It suggests it's actually pretty close to buy signal (waiting for the IMI to join the other indicators).  

RDS/A has similar buy signals now.

Unfortunately here is the fly in the ointment for the above analysis.  Fundamentals trump all technical (or indicator) signals.  The fundamentals of oil companies is deteriorating.  If you look at the recent EPS of TOT it shows $1.11/sh.  That contrasts to a year ago of $1.475/sh.  See the two red arrows pointing to those data pointson the EPS data row.  .That is a 25% drop in EPS over last year's same quarter.  And upon further observation you'll notice that EVERY QUARTER of the past four quarter was lower than the corresponding year ago quarter.  Ouch.  No one likes lower EPS quarter after quarter compared to year ago.  And the price of oil just keeps going lower.  Double ouch.

If price of oil goes back up, TOT and similar stocks are technically poised to rally.  But they need a catalyst.  Is it worth it to buy now and wait for such catalyst?  Or stand to the side to see if it breaks below the support line?  You could buy here and place a stop-loss limit order a little below the support line.  You could sell naked puts at strike prices lower than currently traded so that you either collect premiums if the stock rises, or you get to purchase the stock at prices lower than currently trading. 

I'm standing to the side because of the FED meeting Wednesday (tomorrow).  Fundamentals trumps technicals but the FED trumps fundamentals!!
Above concepts all stolen from www.optionsforcash.com ... I added a few of my own observations for whatever that is worth.

How are you doing with TOT and RDS/A now? 

rated:
What are peoples thoughts on preferred stock etf? There are a few out there like spff and PFF, which generally seem to be loaded in financials and pay a nice consistent monthly dividend.

rated:
I think of them as pretty similar to bonds. Many of the preferreds around now are perpetual (certainly some have a defined lifetime also, or convert to regular stock at some point). So, if interest rates in general go up, the value of the preferred will very likely go down -- fairly significantly so due to the long term involved (forever!). If rates go down (which they can't very well go down too much further from where we are), then the value of the preferred will likely go up.

I think they can have a place in someone's portfolio but think that they are often a bit misunderstood and people get into them without knowing the full story. The plan for exiting is a very important part of owning preferreds in my opinion.

Quantumonline.com is an excellent resource for learning more about preferreds and similar investments. Go ahead and donate a few bucks to them while you are there. I believe they are free / donation supported.

Just looking into my crystal ball about what might be behind your question... Some folks want to get "income" from dividend stocks (preferred or regular) for retirement. To me, it doesn't really matter if I'm getting dividends or capital gains from my investments... I've got $X,XXX,XXX total assets for my retirement and I want $XX,XXX per year for living expenses. I wouldn't care if I took that money from BRKA or PFF. Just because PFF is yielding 6% doesn't make it a better retirement investment than BRKA (which does not pay a dividend).

ETA - consider tax treatment also. Some preferreds are eligible for the lower 10% / 15% dividend tax rates. (Edited again) Some MANY get taxed at your marginal income tax rate.

rated:
Did a search for free blog in this thread.

http://optionsforcash.wix.com/optionsforcash#!in-progress/c1dao

rated:
Krazen1211 said:   What are peoples thoughts on preferred stock etf? There are a few out there like spff and PFF, which generally seem to be loaded in financials and pay a nice consistent monthly dividend.

I have a good number of preferreds in my IRA's; I know my parents (who are retired) have a massive amount of preferred stocks.   We've done well with them, but they are a part of the whole picture, just like REIT's.  In general I think bank preferreds are the way to go, because their industry is regulated, unlike many others.  They tend to be more stable, too.  Look at the call price and if they are callable or not.  I tend to prefer perpetual preferreds, and not ones that are callable.  For some solid ones that have treated me well, look at RBSPRR, RBSPRG, ING, IDG, INZ  (RBS and ING have many), also some of the istar (STARPRI).  In my opinion dividends are a very big part of the overall long term picture for investments, and often overlooked as investors fall over themselves to buy the next hot thing.   Finally, most of my preferred purchases were as an alternative to holding the assets in cash, which I have a tendency to do too much of.  I think they are an attractive midway between cash and growth, and an alternative to what I see as a very unattractive bond market currently.  I am unsure why you would buy bonds at the moment.

rated:
Congrats to anyone who held Kraft. Major payday today.

rated:
intex45 said:   Congrats to anyone who held Kraft. Major payday today.
  Wow!  You're not kidding.  Up 41% as of right now.

rated:
I hope to sell LO this week. It has been a great run but the price is pretty close to the buy out price now.

rated:
Sold my LO position today at $65.94.
Picked up some CM Finance Inc (CMFN) at $13.65 (my first stake in this company).

rated:
Looking4morecents said:   Sold my LO position today at $65.94.
Picked up some CM Finance Inc (CMFN) at $13.65 (my first stake in this company).

I sold 4/17/15 $70 covered call for $0.70 - $0.75/sh... But that option premium doubled after the stock went back up to over $69.50/sh.  Oh well, I'll be happy to sell it at $70 if it occurs.

rated:
ORC is getting close to $14/sh. Pays over 15.5% dividend. I'm have a limit order to sell slightly over $14/sh.

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   ORC is getting close to $14/sh. Pays over 15.5% dividend. I'm have a limit order to sell slightly over $14/sh.
  I'm still buying to collect  the divy.

rated:
Looking4morecents said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   ORC is getting close to $14/sh. Pays over 15.5% dividend. I'm have a limit order to sell slightly over $14/sh.
  I'm still buying to collect  the divy.

Sold more of my ORC at $14.05/sh...  I'll consider buying it back under $13.75/sh
Also had my LO called away from me at $70/sh (I kept the $0.70/sh call options premium I sold). 
Now gotta see what is worth buying... I almost bought PM before their EPS date, but chickened out... of course PM zoned up about $10/sh after the EPS.

rated:
Sold the rest of my ORC Friday a little over $14/sh but I got the dividend on these remaining shares.
I based my selling on the indicators of that website which I've reluctantly become quite fond of using. It's all pattern recognition. Let's see if the pattern plays out again.

rated:
Also all of my LO was called away at $70/sh (got $0.70/sh premiums from the covered calls I sold).
Lots of cash now. But I'm not eager to get back in at these market levels and May-Oct period coming.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015