• filter:
  • 16789 10
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
RagingBull said:   wow both record highers, any record low stocks with good yield
  I like the way you think... I use a screen to find high dividend stocks with low RSI value... that is a start.  But remember that high dividend yield sometimes is associated with poor fundamentals and the price is low because bad things are happening... and dividend may be sliced big time.  Look at RIG and SDRL.  Their dividend is at historical highs, but their expected EPS is suppose to be dismal and may not be able to support the current dividend rate.

I like pharm stocks when they drop... their dividend are above 3%, always developing new drugs, aging population, more people with insurance now, etc.  IBB ETF is an easy play on the sector.

rated:
RagingBull said:   wow both record highers, any record low stocks with good yield

Not exactly record lows, but the oil stocks are the only thing right now with solid yields that are not anywhere near their highs.  Long COP, PSX, and BP.

rated:
SaulHudson said:   

Not exactly record lows, but the oil stocks are the only thing right now with solid yields that are not anywhere near their highs.  Long COP, PSX, and BP.

Oil prices could stay low for years. 

rated:
how about PTR or oil etf? and is the reason why oil is low is because we are pumping oil from us now?

rated:
avalon6 said:   
SaulHudson said:   

Even better.  More opportunity to buy low.

rated:
bluegreenturtle said:   http://seekingalpha.com/article/2706445-american-realty-capital-... 
  That SA author is a moron.  First he makes a bunch of half hearted attempts to claim they can't cover their dividend and that a div cut must be in the works, and then he concludes it probably won't be too bad and it can still have a decent 8% yield or whatever at present prices.  If they cut the dividend 20%, the stock will get crushed.  I don't think it's likely at all, but the fact that he thinks so and that he's simultaneously long anyway shows he's an idiot.  

rated:
SaulHudson said:   
avalon6 said:   
SaulHudson said:   

Even better.  More opportunity to buy low.

The pressure to reduce oil consumption combined with the frack-baby-frack boom is going to keep oil prices with a downward pressure for a while.  When you add the overhanging global warming concern, I don't see carbon emission oil prices setting any record highs.  If the Keystone pipeline eventually passes, then oil prices have more downward pressure.  I would go with industries that will benefit from low oil prices (transportation like airlines and UPS; oil-based manufacturing like DOW, plastic companies; even consumer goods since people with have saved money at the pump to buy more goods).  Also a country like Japan that is so heavily dependent on imported oil will also see economical boost of low oil prices.  I have JPNL (leveragted ETF) and will sell on a pop.  Japan does NOT have the population growth that USA has so that is a dampening issues... just take JPNL gains on a pop.

Next President of USA, note to self:  When you need the economy to grow, LOWER PRICE OF OIL by allowing drilling, fracking, pipelines, to get the supply up, up, up...  Yes, you may be ultimately sacrificing the EPS of oil companies when oil prices ultimately drops, but the rest of the economy will blossom because oil costs are down across the board!!  When you then combine low interest rates with low oil prices, the economy has no other direction to go but UP, UP, UP !!

I think oil is closing at a 4-year low today.

I bought ORC today at $13.81/sh... This REIT was mentioned earlier and I like the hefty 15.7% dividend rate with monthly payout.

rated:
SDRL is down 20%. Happy Thanksgiving.

rated:
mysteryAgain said:   SDRL is down 20%. Happy Thanksgiving.
  Buying at $16.19.  The market often overacts on this kind of news.

rated:
I realize they suspended the dividend to reduce debt, but do you think they maybe have way too much debt?  Interesting speculative buy though.

rated:
Yikes. It's disturbing that they feel they need to suspend the dividend completely. Any company that hasn't positioned themselves to weather a storm like this and be able to at least maintain their dividend... as a dividend investor, I'd stay very clear of it.

rated:
SaulHudson said:   Yikes. It's disturbing that they feel they need to suspend the dividend completely. Any company that hasn't positioned themselves to weather a storm like this and be able to at least maintain their dividend... as a dividend investor, I'd stay very clear of it.

That was my thought - why not cut it 50% or something.  I suspect they will be fine, they make tons of money and can probably use this to reduce their debts very quickly, but still, that seems unfair to shareholders.

rated:

LO, marching slowly to up to $63.50 today... I have limit order to sell at the buyout price of about $68/sh. Over�4% dividend at my cost basis.
SNY swing around, dropped to mid $46 again so I bought some more... today back up to $47.15/sh... 3.5% dividend at my cost basis.
MNK dropped on drug news, but Paulson&Co have big buy in so we bought more on that drop... today slowly up to about $87.12/sh. No dividend, so I'm selling on a indicator sell signal.
LMT dropped below $185 and I bought more... today over $187 again.� over 3% dividend
LVS and WYNN dragging...� WYNN accused of money laundering... DUH?!?!� It's Vegas !!� Both over 3% dividend.
F, aluminum trucks is the big catalyst one way or the other, and holding about $15.50, more than 10% gain in about 3 weeks. 3.5% dividend

SNY climbed back over $48/sh today.�
LMT climbed back to about $189 today
MNK is over $91/sh now and hit over $93.50 today.

rated:
SaulHudson said:   Yikes. It's disturbing that they feel they need to suspend the dividend completely. Any company that hasn't positioned themselves to weather a storm like this and be able to at least maintain their dividend... as a dividend investor, I'd stay very clear of it.
  dropping oil prices, for all the reasons you can think of, is hitting oil sector in general.  But deep water drillers won't be able to complete with cheaper on-land fracking drillers.  if the Keystone Pipeline ever occurs, that will really sink deep water drillers for a while.    Stay out of oil sector for now.  The economy is going to benefit from lower price oil... even if it sacrifices companies like SDRL, RIG, HERO, ESV.

rated:
FWJunkie, where do you get your figure that fracking is cheaper? I'm not saying it's wrong, but most articles I've seen tout that Deepwater is around $56 per barrel and fracking anywhere from $65 on up with wells that rapidly deplete production. I'm no expert, just trying to see if there are some other numbers I'm not seeing. Thanks

I'm taking a bath on SDRL. Have it in my Roth and have enjoyed soem nice dividends for a few years. I don't know whether to bail out now or hold on and see if it can rebound to $20 before I sell some or all. I agree it's dead money now for a couple years if they make it out.

rated:
bluegreenturtle said:   
��
That was my thought - why not cut it 50% or something.� I suspect they will be fine, they make tons of money and can probably use this to reduce their debts very quickly, but still, that seems unfair to shareholders.

Cutting dividend by 50% would have created a similar impact on stock price as cutting it by100% did. Stock market can be very irrational in short to medium term.

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   
  dropping oil prices, for all the reasons you can think of, is hitting oil sector in general.  But deep water drillers won't be able to complete with cheaper on-land fracking drillers.  if the Keystone Pipeline ever occurs, that will really sink deep water drillers for a while.    Stay out of oil sector for now.  The economy is going to benefit from lower price oil... even if it sacrifices companies like SDRL, RIG, HERO, ESV.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/04/361204786/falling-oil-prices-make-fracking-less-lucrative 

If the oil goes down $10 more, bu bye fracking and welcome to traditional cheap oil.

rated:
dpa789kd said:   FWJunkie, where do you get your figure that fracking is cheaper? I'm not saying it's wrong, but most articles I've seen tout that Deepwater is around $56 per barrel and fracking anywhere from $65 on up with wells that rapidly deplete production. I'm no expert, just trying to see if there are some other numbers I'm not seeing. Thanks

I'm taking a bath on SDRL. Have it in my Roth and have enjoyed soem nice dividends for a few years. I don't know whether to bail out now or hold on and see if it can rebound to $20 before I sell some or all. I agree it's dead money now for a couple years if they make it out.

I think you're correct.  I've never heard that fracking is cheaper. 

rated:
mysteryAgain said:   SDRL is down 20%. Happy Thanksgiving.
  Another big drop this morning.

rated:
bluegreenturtle said:   
dpa789kd said:   FWJunkie, where do you get your figure that fracking is cheaper? I'm not saying it's wrong, but most articles I've seen tout that Deepwater is around $56 per barrel and fracking anywhere from $65 on up with wells that rapidly deplete production. I'm no expert, just trying to see if there are some other numbers I'm not seeing. Thanks

I think you're correct.  I've never heard that fracking is cheaper. 

I only went on what I heard a pundit said on CNBC.  The land procurement cost for some of the frackers is so low from years ago,  the equipment costs used in fracking is 10% of the start up for deep water drilling, and the ability to start and stop drilling in response to oil prices makes frackers more nimble.  Deep water rigs are not seeing renewals of leases as desired, and renewals are for less per month that in past.  The oil companies that use the deep water rigs of SDRL, RIG, ESV, etc can negotiate lower rig prices enough to keep some degree profit but at lower margin but at the deep cost of profit to SDRL, RIG, ESV, etc.  
  Even OXY, XOM, CVX, etc  took a huge hit which is indicative of how dropping oil prices is effecting the entire chain of oil industry. 
  Of course I had no guts to short oil sector (I only sold off my holdings at a loss a while ago).  In retrospect, there was huge oscillator sell signals (I like RSI Wilder found on Think or Swim platform and some others) back in early July.  Example OIH ETF.  has dropped from $58/sh to about $38 now.  Or buy the ultra bear oil ETF SCO which had a buy signal same time at $24/sh and now hitting $52/sh.

Transports popped higher too. 

Hindsight is always 20/20.

How's this for a stretch of the imagination:  Lower energy prices is good for the developing world's economy (at the expense of the oil sector profits).  Eventual better world's economy means return to growth.  Return to growth means more eventual inflation.  More inflation means higher price for goods  including precious metals.  Higher prices for precious metals means precious mining industry more profitable. 
Precious mining industry is terrible, terrible, terrible now.  Worse than the oil sector. 
Ex. ultra NUGT ETF.   It has had a couple deep buy signals on the RSI Wilder and other indicators.  Now the indicators are pulling up and away from those buy signals.  NUGT dropped $4.31/sh to $11.75/sh from $16/sh just yesterday.  VERY volatile ETF.  I bought 500 sh of NUGT today at $11.73 and will dump it on any nice pop if it occurs.  I think there is >90% chance it will trade at least $1.17/sh (ie 10%) higher in the next 3 months.   Maybe in the next 3 weeks... maybe in the next 3 trading days!!
Tax deferred account too.

I just bought DOW, which tanked today more than $3/sh for some downgrades to $48.50.  I bought some at $48.69/sh.  3.4% dividends while I wait. DOW should benefit nicely from drop in oil prices since they make so many products with oil-based component. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_Chemical_Company 

SNY, LMT, F, MNK march higher.

rated:
 I dunno the exact costs, but I know the cost of fracking vary greatly depending on the oil field.  Generally the profitably range is from $60 a barrel (the Bakken) to well into the $130's for some reserves.  Deep sea, I think, is the same, some of it is relatively easy and some of it is very hard. 

rated:
Dear LINE and LNCO, I know its Black Friday, but why'd you have to join the price drops? Almost tempted to buy more...

rated:

How's this for a stretch of the imagination:  Lower energy prices is good for the developing world's economy (at the expense of the oil sector profits).  Eventual better world's economy means return to growth.  Return to growth means more eventual inflation.  More inflation means higher price for goods  including precious metals.  Higher prices for precious metals means precious mining industry more profitable. 
Precious mining industry is terrible, terrible, terrible now.  Worse than the oil sector. 
Ex. ultra NUGT ETF.   It has had a couple deep buy signals on the RSI Wilder and other indicators.  Now the indicators are pulling up and away from those buy signals.  NUGT dropped $4.31/sh to $11.75/sh from $16/sh just yesterday.  VERY volatile ETF.  I bought 500 sh of NUGT today at $11.73 and will dump it on any nice pop if it occurs.  I think there is >90% chance it will trade at least $1.17/sh (ie 10%) higher in the next 3 months.   Maybe in the next 3 weeks... maybe in the next 3 trading days!!
Tax deferred account too.

My order to sell NUGT at $13, and $13.50 were executed...  still have some at higher limits.  But at least I made over 10% in just a couple days on some of it.  update:  sold more at $13.75/sh.  Sold another 100s at $14.25..  sold 100sh at $14.50.  Only 100sh left.

JPNL, Japan ultra (3X) ETF, is slowing moving up as persistent low oil prices should help improve this oil-import-dependent country.  The buy signal was around $36-$37 around mid October, 2014.  There was a sell signal over $50/sh just two weeks later and pulled back to low $40s.  That did not trigger a buy signal, but if oil stays this low (or goes lower) I don't think JPNL will drop enough to trigger a buy signal because the better fundamentals outlook will prevent a drop low enough for such a signal.  Now just moving over $44/sh.

SNY moving up again... almost to $49/sh... Still no news about a new CEO which should be a catalyst (hopefully a good one).
LMT, holding above $190... (Search the story about Skunk Works developing a Compact Fusion Reactor !!)
DOW, dropping further to under $48 on downgrades....but they make so many oil-based products their profit margin will be bigger and so should profits.  I will collect the 3.4% dividend while I wait...

rated:
Anyone has audacity to play a Russian roulette with LINE? it is down 16%.

rated:
Anyone like SPDR S&P Global Dividend ETF - WDIV? Any real potential downside? Normally, I keep a good amount in Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF -VIG, but the yield is just horrid. Might as well as put the all in PowerShares New York AMT-Free MuniBd ET - PZT.

Ideas?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014