• filter:
  • 178910 11
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
What would you do? Maybe I should just take my gain and sleep better.

Sell and roll your profits in to 6 month LEAP calls. Whatever is going to happen should get sorted out by then

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   
umcsom said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   LO continues its march to the buyout price of about $68/sh this summer as determined last summer. Now about $65/sh... Collecting over 4% dividend at my cost basis while I wait... just amazing. Now I have to start thinking about what to buy when the deal is done.
  I like CAT at $80 or less.  That free blog site says there are indicator buy signals at current $83.50 area.  If I can get is for $80 or less my dividend yield will be about 4.2% while I wait for the stock to rebound... 

Be careful.  CAT is dependant on oil drilling and miners who are both getting crushed right now.

Yes they are quite dependent on those industries.  But I noticed they have never decreased their dividends since 1995, so we'll see.

LO is about $65.50 now...
My CAT puts are profitable now and expire this Friday/Saturday. 

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   
umcsom said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   LO continues its march to the buyout price of about $68/sh this summer as determined last summer. Now about $65/sh... Collecting over 4% dividend at my cost basis while I wait... just amazing. Now I have to start thinking about what to buy when the deal is done.
  I like CAT at $80 or less.  That free blog site says there are indicator buy signals at current $83.50 area.  If I can get is for $80 or less my dividend yield will be about 4.2% while I wait for the stock to rebound... 

Be careful.  CAT is dependant on oil drilling and miners who are both getting crushed right now.

Yes they are quite dependent on those industries.  But I noticed they have never decreased their dividends since 1995, so we'll see.

So are you short CAT after making a long argument?  Or did you sell the puts.

rated:
umcsom said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   
umcsom said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   

So are you short CAT after making a long argument?  Or did you sell the puts.

I sold the $80 puts for $0.35/sh...they expired worthless 1/23/15, ie kept all the premiums I collected.  I also closed my $80 puts that expire 1/30/15 for nice profit because I didn't want to hold them into EPS announcement. 
Whenever the indicators show a buy signal (and the stock price is usually getting close to a recent past low) I will calculate the reward:risk ratio as explained on that free blog.  But I'm a Fatwatteer so I want a better deal, so I'll sell a put at a lower strike price than the current stock trading price.  If I think the current stock price is good enough, then I'll also buy it.   That free blog doesn't use anything new and those are free indicators on most brokerage platforms.  But I have to admit it has consolidated my trading tactics day to day.  I used to chase stock prices with the news hype.  But now if the indicators are peaking into sell signal territory, I pass on the stock.  Sure it can climb higher, but I just admit I may have missed the run and move on to looking at something with buy signals, stable fundamentals, catalysts, dividends, calendar events coming, insider buying, etc. 

I bought that stock, TCBI, that Tarranova (CNBC pundit) said he bought for his 2015 CNBC Trading Competition.  It was mentioned on that free blog and I like the chart indicator buy signal, reward :ratio, etc..  Wish I had bought EOG when Tarranova said to buy it (around $83.50) just a couple weeks ago; it hit $90/sh recently.  

rated:
I bought X, US Steel, on Tarranova announcing he bought it.  Unfortunately, I'm in at $24.30 so it has already bounce upward significantly.  I also sold puts at strikes of $21 and less to expire in March.  I stole that tactic from that free blog which has also been highlighting Tarranova's buys.

I still have my LO.  It continues the gradual march upward to their buy out price of about $68 this summer.  I collect about 4% dividend at my original cost basis too.
I have to start deciding what to buy with those funds... 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015