• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Couldn't find my old Toyota acceleration thread from 3 years ago. Well there's finally a settlement

Toyota Economic Loss Settlement

http://toyotaelsettlement.com/

Was offered a brake override system, but I would prefer a cash settlement instead at this point.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
got mine today. $346 for totalling my 03 IS300. not too bad. free money.

haloseven (Mar. 24, 2014 @ 7:28p) |

They will compensate the people who did not file claims after they are done wwith distribution just have to wait

warde (Mar. 24, 2014 @ 9:28p) |

I still haven't received anything. I was wondering if anyone else out there had an on-time claim and is still waiting. ... (more)

lakebruin (Apr. 10, 2014 @ 7:33a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

bobbyvescolives said:   toyota car recall question

thanks. Wanted to reply to all the naysayers in the thread, but can't reply to archives...

I had a problem with my Toyota Corolla steering at the same time this was going on. I wonder if there is any kind of repair fix out yet.

I got the card for this this week and hopped on, though I haven't had any problems with the brakes in my Prius.

If I am reading it right it says they will split 250 million to 20 million people(or how ever many accept)?

Those of us who poke fun at trial attorneys but who jump at the chance of making money after suffering exactly ZERO loss should remember that, as for all markets, the demand is driven by those who seek and make use of attorneys' services. All lawyers do is reflect the attitude of the people who they represent.

RWAnderson72 said:   I got the card for this this week and hopped on, though I haven't had any problems with the brakes in my Prius.

the brake override cuts off acceleration. I wanted it 3 years ago. Wonder what happens if I sold in the meantime..

whudgens2 said:   I had a problem with my Toyota Corolla steering at the same time this was going on. I wonder if there is any kind of repair fix out yet.

I, too, had major steering issues with my Corolla, but somehow NHTSA announced it was related to driver "preference" and not a malfunction. Nevertheless, I took the following TSB to my Toyota dealer about two years ago and they replaced the Power Steering Computer Assembly free-of-charge, pretty much fixing the issue.

http://www.toyotapart.com/Steering_Off_Center_Feel_TSB014010.pdf

thanks... good people on here..

I never reported it when I briefly had my engine (when putting it into reverse) run fast/high RPM. I put it back into park, I remembered it because it was odd/a little scary but I don't remember it happening again. This was before the court case. Is it odd that it just happened once (maybe twice) like this? I have a Corolla 2006.

And my steering wheel, esp. in the hot summer here in the Valley, always squeaks. I've taken it in on that a few times and they can never find anything wrong (but I wonder how much they checked).

If anyone has any experiences like this or knows more about it, thanks. I actually have an appointment for service next week.

I'm not entirely sure if I am eligible. I have a car on the list, but I haven't experienced any problems. Should I file?

This is the Fatwallet class action thread:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1170656/

The only mention on it of Toyota is this - seems to be about a different issue, but I didn't look closely:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1170656/?query=t...

I'll post a mention of this current thread there.

It's still odd that the Feds made such a big deal of this issue while they were running two car companies, GM and Chrysler.

Seems like I may be entitled to an extended warranty (of sorts) on my 2005 Camry.

Toyota Economic Loss Settlement website said: D. Customer Support Program

If the settlement is finally approved, for Class Members who still possess their Subject Vehicles, Toyota will implement a Customer Support Program that will stand by the reliability of the vehicles by providing prospective coverage for repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship in certain parts associated with the vehicle’s operation at no cost to the owner or lessee if any of those parts fail, break, or malfunction. The Customer Support Program will last for ten (10) years after the expiration of any existing warranty for each of the covered parts, subject to a maximum limit of 150,000 miles, except that each eligible vehicle will receive no less than three (3) years of coverage from the date of final settlement approval (regardless of when the underlying warranty expires and your vehicle’s mileage), if the Court finally approves the settlement. The covered parts are the: (i) engine control module; (ii) cruise control switch; (iii) accelerator pedal assembly; (iv) stop lamp switch; and (v) throttle body assembly. The Customer Support Program is transferable with the Subject Vehicle.

If you are a Class Member who is eligible for the Customer Support Program, you need not take any action in order to be eligible to participate in the Customer Support Program. If a covered part fails, breaks, or malfunctions due to a defect in materials or workmanship from the date of final approval through the end of the Customer Service Program, you should take your vehicle to a Toyota/Lexus/Scion authorized dealer for repair or adjustment under the Customer Support Program.

My Toyota has ~ 130,000 miles, near time to get the brakes done for the first time.

My cruise control switch went out on a 2008 Camry Hybrid and I had to get it fixed.. wonder if that will get re-reimbursed. It'll be interesting to see if this does re-extend the warranty for another three years - or just the 5 areas listed.

cjchaps said:   If I am reading it right it says they will split 250 million to 20 million people(or how ever many accept)?
If I'm reading the FAQ correctly, you would be entitled between $37 to $125

If the settlement is finally approved (including any appeals resolved in favor of the settlement), Toyota will pay $250 million into a fund for distribution to eligible Class Members who still own or lease their Subject Vehicles, unless (a) their Subject Vehicle is a hybrid vehicle; (b) they already actually received a brake override system installation on their Subject Vehicle; or (c) they are eligible for the brake override system on their Subject Vehicles described above in section B. This fund will be distributed according to the plan of allocation. Eligible Class Members’ payments may range from $37 to $125, depending on the state in which the Class Member resides, the number of claims submitted, and other adjustments and deductions. It is possible that payments will be lower, however, or may be higher, depending upon the number of Claims submitted and other factors, but in no event will exceed $125.

I got the note card, but haven't had a chance to look into this. Does it say what cars had the issue? I have a 2005 Camry. If I remember correctly I think it was the 06's that had the issue.

i have a toyota solara with this problem of acceleration for no reason, but my the car is not on the list

elizard said:   
And my steering wheel, esp. in the hot summer here in the Valley, always squeaks. I've taken it in on that a few times and they can never find anything wrong (but I wonder how much they checked).

If anyone has any experiences like this or knows more about it, thanks. I actually have an appointment for service next week.

My '03 Camry had a squeak in the steering system, though it happened in the winter. After several "we can't replicate/find anything wrong" trips to the dealer, I Googled a potential solution which worked. The steering column, within a foot of the floorboard, had a little opening which you could spray grease. I sprayed a couple of squirts of lithium grease there, and never had another squeak ... until somebody turned in front of me doing 40mph .... then there were lots of squeaks and other sounds. Of course, that was 7 or 8 years later.

Thanks for the suggestion. The only thing they 'claimed' they did was to add grease to it. I have no idea if they did. My car is in the shop tonight (but not on this since they never find anything). I have a buzzing in the center (above the CD player) and of course like going to the doctor (you feel fine once you get there), my service guy couldn't hear anything driving it around.

Last time I went in, they said my water pump was leaking and replaced it. How does a water pump leak and you have no noise or anything?

I really like my Corolla but I wonder about all the technology today in cars and if we'll have more failures. I keep a car a long time (at least 10 years) and I don't remember ever having a water pump fail.

elizard said:   I keep a car a long time (at least 10 years) and I don't remember ever having a water pump fail.

I'm the same on length of ownership, but usually change the timing belt at about 120k. The water pump is cheap to change at the same time, so maybe that's why I haven't had one fail.
Good luck.

honkinggoose said:   elizard said:   I keep a car a long time (at least 10 years) and I don't remember ever having a water pump fail.

I'm the same on length of ownership, but usually change the timing belt at about 120k. The water pump is cheap to change at the same time, so maybe that's why I haven't had one fail.
Good luck.

It just really surprised me since I've never had a water pump fail. Really? So it's not expensive to replace? Toyota said (although it was all under warranty) $550. I have one month left on my warranty (and wish I could extend it further - Troy on here with the warranties is great - but Toyota doesn't allow it).

elizard said:   honkinggoose said:   elizard said:   I keep a car a long time (at least 10 years) and I don't remember ever having a water pump fail.

Good luck.

It just really surprised me since I've never had a water pump fail. Really? So it's not expensive to replace? Toyota said (although it was all under warranty) $550. I have one month left on my warranty (and wish I could extend it further - Troy on here with the warranties is great - but Toyota doesn't allow it).

The price depends on the model and where the water pump is located. For most Honda's you have to remove the engine to get to the water pump. People just replace it when they change the timing belt at 100k-120k miles. Doing just the water pump would probably cost around the same as changing the timing belt because the labor is the same.

vickh said:   Was offered a brake override system, but I would prefer a cash settlement instead at this point.
That would suck if you got a coupon for $25 off your next purchase of a Toyota.

I just got a card in the in the mail for my car and submitted it. Never had issues but I'll take a few bucks.

i vaguely remember i had problems with my 2004 Sequoia, but the dealer could not replicate the problem when i went there. That was in 2004 thru 2006. After that, the problem disappeared by itself. i got the card today . i was trying to fill out the claim online. There is question which read like "Did you report the problem before 2012?". i said Yes and clicked to move on next page .. to my surprise, it accepted my claim and showed my response to the question as "No, never had a problem". Did this happen to anyone?

Kdogg said:   elizard said:   honkinggoose said:   elizard said:   I keep a car a long time (at least 10 years) and I don't remember ever having a water pump fail.

Good luck.

The price depends on the model and where the water pump is located. For most Honda's you have to remove the engine to get to the water pump. People just replace it when they change the timing belt at 100k-120k miles. Doing just the water pump would probably cost around the same as changing the timing belt because the labor is the same.

Is there anything else you'd recommend that I change when I change the timing belt? (since I have a new water pump).

BS

Never had problem up to today, but it doesn't mean no problem in the future right? Should I return my 2 post cards for few dollars? Smart Fatwalleters? Need help here.

DELLorHELL said:   Never had problem up to today, but it doesn't mean no problem in the future right? Should I return my 2 post cards for few dollars? Smart Fatwalleters? Need help here.

Of course you are suppose to leach off a perfectly good company that has done you no wrong. That is the american way.

But, both cars can start having problem anytime. Is it worth getting the $35-$125 and wave the rights to get on them when my car(s) have problem(s)?

DELLorHELL said:   But, both cars can start having problem anytime. Is it worth getting the $35-$125 and wave the right get on them when my car(s) have problem(s)?

Why don't you just sell your cars if you are that scared about their future?

Better be sure to opt out in writing
Otherwise you might be barred from
Future claims and not even get your $35

Now you know I love my fellow FWers but the questions you're asking are because you have not read the postcard.

It clearly states you have to REMOVE yourself from the settlement, even if you didn't take the settlement money, if you want to sue Toyota in the future.

AND

the minimum all of us will get is 3 years of coverage once the settlement is done and up to 10 years of existing warranty on each of these parts that can go bad.

I did the quick form online and it said $125 for my car. I did have very briefly a moment when my engine accelerated when I started my car, before putting it in gear to back up and at that time, I had no idea about the problem (so I never reported it). It was a couple of years ago and hopefully the engine/these parts are fine.

I'm curious who got less then $125. I wonder how they make this determination.

Honestly, all I care about is that my car runs safely (and well for many more years). Mine is a 2006 Corolla with very low miles.

i received this in the mail today. Mine is the 07 camry hybrid.

what should I do now? thanks

sherap2 said:   i received this in the mail today. Mine is the 07 camry hybrid.

Read the post card.

elizard said:   Now you know I love my fellow FWers but the questions you're asking are because you have not read the postcard.

It clearly states you have to REMOVE yourself from the settlement, even if you didn't take the settlement money, if you want to sue Toyota in the future.

AND

the minimum all of us will get is 3 years of coverage once the settlement is done and up to 10 years of existing warranty on each of these parts that can go bad.

I did the quick form online and it said $125 for my car. I did have very briefly a moment when my engine accelerated when I started my car, before putting it in gear to back up and at that time, I had no idea about the problem (so I never reported it). It was a couple of years ago and hopefully the engine/these parts are fine.

I'm curious who got less then $125. I wonder how they make this determination.

Honestly, all I care about is that my car runs safely (and well for many more years). Mine is a 2006 Corolla with very low miles.

I got a number of $87 and change I have a 2003 MR2. The only things I answered were Yes I own the car, No I never had or reported a problem. I'm in NY. and I bought it between X and Y putting me in the 3rd bucket of choices they had there.

brettdoyle said:   sherap2 said:   i received this in the mail today. Mine is the 07 camry hybrid.

Read the post card.

Wow. The level of handholding is getting ridiculous

Either accept the settlement , opt out and bring your own action against Toyota , or do nothing and lose all your rights and all compensation

Skipping 47 Messages...
I still haven't received anything. I was wondering if anyone else out there had an on-time claim and is still waiting. Has anyone tried to reach out to the class action administrator?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014