register now for promo.

Member Summary

Discover
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I was denied, ikea does not count

realysmart (Apr. 22, 2013 @ 8:29p) |

IKEA reports either as Home Furnishings or Restaurant, so it doesn't qualify as Home Improvement.

happypants (Apr. 22, 2013 @ 10:41p) |

Sears Hardware Stores *should* count. I doubt Sears department stores would count.

NEDeals (Apr. 22, 2013 @ 11:02p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A bit more info:

Home improvement stores are defined as home supply retail stores, lumber/building material stores, paint/wallpaper stores, hardware stores and lawn and garden supply centers. These purchases must post to your account by 6/30/13 and do not count towards determining your eligibility to earn 1%. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC), virtual wallets, or similar technology may not be eligible. If a purchase is coded for a category other than listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards are added to your CashBack Bonus account within 2 billing periods.

This can become an even better deal with Lowe's gift card offers. Thanks OP!

JumboRedGrunt said:   This can become an even better deal with Lowe's gift card offers. Thanks OP!

You mean purchase Lowe's gift cards via Cash Back rewards, or buy the GC at your local Lowe's? Sorry, I'm dense!

I like to know too. If you don't want top post, I'd welcome PM

They are referring to churning the 5% rewards with Lowes gift cards - at which point you'd either buy gift cards you're going to use anyway to get the 5% off of whatever purchase (i.e. Subway) - or buy prepaid visa cards. I'm sure you can read tips in the Chase Freedom thread where people are doing the same things to max out Drugstore redemptions this quarter.

Do you mean you use the Lowes gifts cards after purchasing them with Discover, you would get 5% off with Lowes gift cards, + 5% off with Discover?

You mean they sell $500 prepaid cards in Lowes?

Chase Freedom just added Lowe's for Q2 also.

So does Lowes sell visa or AMEX gcs? Sorry if this has been answered and thanks in advance!

does IKEA count?

It appears this is only for the "it" card. The offer doesn't show up for my Discover Open Road Card

does anyone know if Sears count as Home Improvement store? I guess I will try with small amount first.

JuNooNi said:   does anyone know if Sears count as Home Improvement store? I guess I will try with small amount first.

"Home improvement stores are defined as home supply retail stores, lumber/building material stores, paint/wallpaper stores, hardware stores and lawn and garden supply centers."

This obviously would be Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, Sher. Williams (paint/wallpaper), Ace, Tru Value (hardware).

I think Sears is typically a "department store" like JCP, Kohls, etc.

Horseymen said:   They are referring to churning the 5% rewards with Lowes gift cards - at which point you'd either buy gift cards you're going to use anyway to get the 5% off of whatever purchase (i.e. Subway) - or buy prepaid visa cards. I'm sure you can read tips in the Chase Freedom thread where people are doing the same things to max out Drugstore redemption this quarter.

I can't find any reference to what you speak, but I believe I know what you are saying.
However, this only works if you can:

1) Use Lowe's gift cards for the purchase of other Gift Cards at Lowes. I think most stores don't allow this. Are you sure Lowes does?
2) Lowe's carries prepaid Visa cards in $500 denominations AND you can pay from them with a Lowe's GC.

With an average fee of $5 to activate a Visa card, it doesn't make sense to buy 15 @ $100. That is a $75 of activation fee which eats up your $75 in CashBack from the $1500 in purchases.
With $200 cards you would see about $35 - but hardly worth the effort. With $500 cards you lose only $15 - for a profit of $60 which isn't bad.

Of course, if you purchase the Lowe's GC through Chase UR Portal and get another 5x points back that's another $75.

Can anyone confirm #1 or #2 above?

BenH said:   Horseymen said:   They are referring to churning the 5% rewards with Lowes gift cards - at which point you'd either buy gift cards you're going to use anyway to get the 5% off of whatever purchase (i.e. Subway) - or buy prepaid visa cards. I'm sure you can read tips in the Chase Freedom thread where people are doing the same things to max out Drugstore redemption this quarter.

I can't find any reference to what you speak, but I believe I know what you are saying.
However, this only works if you can:

1) Use Lowe's gift cards for the purchase of other Gift Cards at Lowes. I think most stores don't allow this. Are you sure Lowes does?
2) Lowe's carries prepaid Visa cards in $500 denominations AND you can pay from them with a Lowe's GC.

With an average fee of $5 to activate a Visa card, it doesn't make sense to buy 15 @ $100. That is a $75 of activation fee which eats up your $75 in CashBack from the $1500 in purchases.
With $200 cards you would see about $35 - but hardly worth the effort. With $500 cards you lose only $15 - for a profit of $60 which isn't bad.

Of course, if you purchase the Lowe's GC through Chase UR Portal and get another 5x points back that's another $75.

Can anyone confirm #1 or #2 above?
I tried paying for a GC using Lowe's GC once and it crashed the payment terminal computer - no go for me. YMMV.

ucfzf10 said:   I tried paying for a GC using Lowe's GC once and it crashed the payment terminal computer - no go for me. YMMV.

I would suspect as much (well not a crash per-se, but at least not the ability to use a Lowe's GC to purchase another GC).

So, I can only see earning money on this if indeed you either:
a) Need $1500 worth of hardware. In which case you would make $75 in CB as well as another $75 if you use ShopDiscover/UR
b) Need $1500 worth of merchandise gift cards that Lowes carries. In which case you would make $75 in CB only since no GC are available through Lowes online.
c) Buy $1500 worth of Visa cards that Lowes carries (in store only). In which case you would make $75 minus anywhere from $15 to $75+ in activation fees.
d) Buy $1500 worth of Lowe's GC online - earning $150 (CB + Portal). Then selling the gift card. Plastic Jungle gives ~90% for Lowes cards right now (that will go much lower come April when everyone is selling them). That means for $1500 worth of cards you will make $1350 - which is a loss of your $150 profit from the purchase.

Really interested in how anyone sees a different alternative.

I have a question, can you stack the 5% quarterly bonus (this time home improvement) with going through their shopdiscover.com page for an additional 5%, so would get 5% plus using online site an additional 5%?

"That's what the man said, you heard what he said, he said that!"

- Bugs Bunny

I was denied, ikea does not count

realysmart said:   I was denied, ikea does not count

IKEA reports either as Home Furnishings or Restaurant, so it doesn't qualify as Home Improvement.

maddybeagle said:   JuNooNi said:   does anyone know if Sears count as Home Improvement store? I guess I will try with small amount first.

"Home improvement stores are defined as home supply retail stores, lumber/building material stores, paint/wallpaper stores, hardware stores and lawn and garden supply centers."

This obviously would be Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, Sher. Williams (paint/wallpaper), Ace, Tru Value (hardware).

I think Sears is typically a "department store" like JCP, Kohls, etc.

Sears Hardware Stores *should* count. I doubt Sears department stores would count.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.