• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Thanks for reading.

My Mom unexpectedly died 2.5 weeks ago. I bought her a new Mazda 3 iSport in August, 2011. The car is in immaculate condition - 9,900 miles, smells new like the day we picked it up. I bought the car outright - no loans or liens on it.

I want to sell the car ASAP. I have a perfectly running car that I want to keep, plus both the car insurance and annual property (exise) tax will be due on the Mazda in the next couple weeks. I have a Carmax within 25 miles of my location and put an ad up on Craigslist last night that's within $200 of the KBB.com value. I was thinking of calling the dealership where I bought it and asking them if they would buy it back.

Can anyone else offer any suggestions or advice? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you again.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
And that's how you sell a car on cl - when you price it such that you start getting multiple hits it is priced right

I'm ... (more)

SUCKISSTAPLES (Mar. 06, 2013 @ 4:39a) |

how low? specs? auto, air, cap..?

imsparty (Mar. 06, 2013 @ 2:07p) |

@Kamshare: Thank you very much.
@dcwilbur: The funeral home provided several DC's.
@vetaldj: Thank you.
@SIS: Exactly. ... (more)

DarthEnol (Mar. 07, 2013 @ 7:58a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Craigslist will give you the best option for getting the most money out of it. Carmax or any other Dealership will low ball you because they have to make money on it somehow.

Soory about your mother. The used market on a Mazda will be pretty good, probably 2500-3k off the price you paid given the condition. You will probably get 1k to 1500 more on private party but get the carmax buy price just to have it.

sorry for your loss

you know what KBB is, try cars.com, get an offer from carmax.

without knowing specifics
National Base Price

Trade-In / Private Party / Dealer Retail
$11,084 $12,353 $13,392

you can get more specific on edmunds

Autotrader and take lots of pics.

Since you have a timeline (few weeks to avoid taxes coming due), I'd take it to CarMax and find out what they'll give you. Put it on Craigslist and say you'll take the best offer over the CarMax price. If the best offer is only $100 or so over the CarMax price, I'd just sell it to CM to avoid the private party hassle, but you might be able to capture a bit of that value above and beyond the CM price by just being honest in your ad and what you're looking for. I see people do this all of the time around here with (presumably) decent results. And make sure to take a bunch of good pictures (host them on Picasa or elsewhere so you can (a) put as many as you like and (b) see how many views your ad is getting to know whether you're generating sufficient interest).

Craigslist and local newspaper classifieds, cash only

Take it to Carmax and see what they offer. If you don't want to sell it for that, you can put it on Craigslist and say you're willing to sell it for 10% over what Carmax offered you.

Thank you all for your replies.

At this point, I contacted both CarMax and Autonation.com (via Edmonds). The CarMax price was ~$1000 less than the Autonation.com/Edmonds price.

I've been calling Mazda dealerships and they all seem interested in buying the car. However, two of them brought up the scenario of the car being able to be sold as a "Certified Preowned", which should translate to a higher price for the car. I am correct in thinking this?

No hits yet from the Craigslist ad. I'm not in a firesale scenario, so I do have time to work with.

Thank you again, please keep the comments coming.

Autotrader and cars.com.

Would it make sense to keep it for yourself? That would avoid you having to replace your car (and take a hit on reselling a newish car) for a long time and you could sell what you have now

This happend to me.

What we siblings did was sell the car at a friendly price to a relative.

- Family bonding gesture

- Car stayed in the family

- New, so no risk of complaints about problems after sale.

No regrets.

Carmax for the Quick.
Mazda dealers for the 'CPO'. Don't sell for less to the Mazda because CPO sells for 20% More than a 'used' mazda not CPO
This will take you HOURS to sell to a dealer.

Private party for the Maxcash however you will spend many more hours selling PP. (Hence the higher payout)

DarthEnol said:   At this point, I contacted both CarMax and Autonation.com (via Edmonds). The CarMax price was ~$1000 less than the Autonation.com/Edmonds price.The older I get, the more I value my time. I'd take the CarMax offer and move on.

It wasn't clear from your post. Did CarMax actually appraise your vehicle and present an offer? I recently sold an estate vehicle and was pleasantly surprised at the deal. In about ninety minutes, I was walking out with a check. Sure, I figure I could have gotten an extra $1,000 to $1,500 in a private party sale, but it was out of town, and no way was I going to fool around with trying to sell the car myself.

@Jiggle: We've (my sister and myself) have asked relatives and friends about buying the car. Either no interest or a not serious, not even close to any stated value was thrown out.

@forbin4040: I've been getting a range from the bigger Mazda dealers that is at least in the ballbark to the stated values for the car. I'm not budging at all on the price respective to dealers.

@dcwilbur: The CarMax offer was the lowest offer I received (outside of a non-serious number a cousin mentioned). I gave them the VIN and emailed pics and they gave me a number, same process as Autonation.

Sorry for your loss. I highly recommend Autotrader and Craigslist. Had great success on both. Be detailed, have pictures, and make sure not to accept personal checks.

DarthEnol said:   @dcwilbur: The CarMax offer was the lowest offer I received (outside of a non-serious number a cousin mentioned). I gave them the VIN and emailed pics and they gave me a number, same process as Autonation.

They gave you an offer without seeing the car?

Link

3. Can I get my car appraised online?

You must bring your car to a CarMax store to receive an appraisal. To determine your offer, one of our appraisers will need to inspect and test drive your car. When we're done, we'll give you a written offer good for seven days.

Op if you got no Craigslist calls within 24 hours you are not priced to sell

Well priced cArs sell within 24 hours on cl and get dozens of calls

You are holding out for the last dollar

@SIS: Two CL hits have come in. I gave them my telephone number and am waiting for calls. The ad has only been up for ~18 hours.

I've read your other posts regarding car sales and am keeping your "24 hour" mantra in mind.

sorry to hear about the passing of your mother.
im going to state the obvious, no one else has yet.....
get a "for sale" sign to put in the rear window. park it in high-traffic places where people of high sophistication drive.

I wish you the best, op. I hope you attract mostly serious buyers willing to pay what its worth and a minimum of lookie loos / tire kickers.

@OliverQuackenbush: Thank you very much. The "old fashioned" method is a consideration. I'm in a condo off of a main road, so that strategy won't work. I could leave it my sister's house - much, much more traffic.

@The rest of you: Thank you for your condolences and suggestions.

Well, I am ready to send you the $ you requested plus $200 for your trouble. Will you please ship it to my father in (fil in the blanks...). Send me your paypal id and personal info to make it all happen.
Best of luck.

Thanks for your generous offer.

sensia said:   Well, I am ready to send you the $ you requested plus $200 for your trouble. Will you please ship it to my father in (fil in the blanks...). Send me your paypal id and personal info to make it all happen.
Best of luck.

Sorry for your loss!

Location? I am sure someone from FWF wouldnt mind buying a car for more than what Carmax offered.

Thank you.

Boston, MA area. Certainly would deal with a FWer.

Forwarding this to a friend in Portsmouth. he was looking to buy a new car.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Op if you got no Craigslist calls within 24 hours you are not priced to sell

True, when I sold my 93 toyota pickup last year, had a call in 30 min, and 10 more by the end of the day. The 1st caller showed up the next morning with a stack of benjamins, drove it around the block and paid me. I must have sold it too low.

macdave said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Op if you got no Craigslist calls within 24 hours you are not priced to sell

True, when I sold my 93 toyota pickup last year, had a call in 30 min, and 10 more by the end of the day. The 1st caller showed up the next morning with a stack of benjamins, drove it around the block and paid me. I must have sold it too low.

mid to late 80's early 90's toyota pickup are a different breed, they cannot be compared to mere mortal vehicles
when I sold my 93, i had 5 calls in 30 minutes and sold in 60 minutes. No exaggeration. i only sold that one because it had been in *5* (frame str8) accidents and through two headgaskets and head rebuilds and needed premium fuel due to a strange carbon buildup issue in the combustion chambers. that was after I put 55,000 miles on it delivering pizza. Had 200k and *factory* clutch.

First my condolences.

Second, I think the options of selling have been pretty well covered. I will reiterate though, that if you go with any type of online listing whatsoever, the more pictures you have the better. Detail it up real good and take 100 pics, and put your best ones up. A buyer wants to see the condition of the vehicle, and yours is immaculate, so it can only help you.

Good luck!

When you do sell it make sure that you take the licence plates off it and return them to DMV so you are not liable for any tickets from the next owner.

Definitely +1 on the pictures. When I scan car ads I pretty much dismiss anything without good photo documentation. Especially on CL. Without it, the ad reeks of scam or someone hiding something.

Girlfromdublin said:   When you do sell it make sure that you take the licence plates off it and return them to DMV so you are not liable for any tickets from the next owner.

+1 Do whatever it is required in MA to let the DMV know you no longer own the car. My brother donated a car to charity and failed to send the paperwork to the DMV and they are now dealing with the PD in Ohio (we are in Oregon) because the car was involved in a felony case.

+1 also on the selling price, but with Craigslist, timing is Crucial as well. I listed our Subaru mid week and got zero replies. After the seven days were up, I listed it in the wee hours on a Saturday and almost immediately got emails. KBB PP was $6500. Local dealers were asking $10k. I listed it for $8500 and sold it to the first person to look at it for $8000 at about 10am. I enjoyed responding to the emails that said my price was too high and I needed to lower it.

+1 on posting a sign in the window. Use it as your daily driver. Last year I sold my truck this way. Recieved a quote through Autotrader for about $8k. Dealers were asking $14k-$15k. I was planning on putting it on CL the next week, but tossed a sign in the window for $14,000 just for kicks. A customer's parents needed a new truck, saw it in the parking lot with the sign and bought it for $13.5k.

... Sorry, re-read the post and fount that CarMax is not giving you good deal (that was my suggestion).

Sorry for your loss...

I'm sorry for your loss. This can be a very troubling time. And I hate to bring more bad news, but I think you are going to have to think twice about selling the car so soon. I assume the car was in your Mom's name and if so, you may have trouble selling it. You may have to go through court to transfer the ownership of the car into your name and then sell it. If your dad was taking ownership, it's not so bad because of laws saying by default the estate goes to the spouse and transfer of ownership is easier (no probates, etc).

Anyways, I don't know all the details and I'm sorry I can't give you more information, but the purpose of my post is just to tell you that you shouldn't have high expectations to sell the car quickly. You probably should check with the DMV to see what's necessary to transfer ownership to you so you can sell the car. You probably need to get death certificates and other documentation (wills), which will take lots of time. I'm very sorry for your loss and I wish I had better news, but a death can cause a lot of long and unnecessary stress.

eBay is a great option. The coverage - the potential coverage is greater with eBay. Sure you have to pay a fee, but the market is larger. Also, you can read about the feedback of potential buyers. I don't hate Craiglist. I hate that I have to search every area one by one. I hate that there is no history on the seller. I have encountered some rude people off of Craigslist and after I have inquired about a car, my emal is spammed like crazy. The likelyhood of fraud is greater on Craigslist especially when the listings are free. Sometimes spammers post just to get your valid email address.

My sister bought a car in Floria off of eBay and she lives in Michigan. She would have never looked on Florida's Craiglist. She did buy a car off of Detroits Craiglist. There are positives and negatives of both sites. Final suggestion: do both eBay and Craigslist.

Thank you all for your comments, especially your condolences. It means a lot. Really.

I want to update the thread and announce that I sold the car via Craigslist. I dropped the price, got several hits and a local person bought the car. I just got back from the bank. Complete.

@ohmic314: The car was in my name; no Probate nightmares to go through. I signed the title over and that was that (I did make a photocopy of the signed title).
@Girlfromdublin and Drew510: I will hit the MA RMV tomorrow morning to surrender the licence plates/registration. I already called my car insurance company to give them the information as well.

If I left a few dollars on the table, they get counterbalanced by savings on car insurance, excise tax and registration.

God Bless and again, thank you, FW'ers.

Your handle brought a smile to my face. Please say "hi" to Hugh Honey for me.

I had 6 pics in the CL ad.

VicVinegar said:   Definitely +1 on the pictures. When I scan car ads I pretty much dismiss anything without good photo documentation. Especially on CL. Without it, the ad reeks of scam or someone hiding something.

Thank you for your condolences.

CarMax was the second lowest offer I received (after 1 Mazda dealer).

vetaldj said:   ... Sorry, re-read the post and fount that CarMax is not giving you good deal (that was my suggestion).

Sorry for your loss...

+1 for eBay if Op knows how to use a computer. You never know what your going to get with eBay, but niche things like this can definitely work well. Listing fees are nominal, and you mostly only pay fees if you get a price you want. (Plan to pay them $120-$150)

To avoid paying for a reserve price, start your listing at the absolute lowest you'd be willing to sell for. ($150 over what Carmax offers.) You can start the auction at any price you want, too high and no one will bid. But you have to pay eBay a fee if you don't want to have to sell at starting price. i.e. List the car at $20,000 with no reserve and the lest someone can buy the car for is $20,000 and you pay eBay very little unless someone buys the car.

I recommend a 7 day auction with pictures of EVERYTHING. (+Close up pictures of any minor defect you can find.) I've had much better luck with eBay over Craigslist, and often times the publicity alone will cause someone to contact you about coming to look at your car. (And then pay cash, meaning you can cancel your eBay listing)

Update: congrats on the sale Op. I missed your last couple Posts.

Skipping 14 Messages...
@Kamshare: Thank you very much.
@dcwilbur: The funeral home provided several DC's.
@vetaldj: Thank you.
@SIS: Exactly. Thank you very much.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014