• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Sapphire has 7% annual dividend.

Freedom (apparently) has 10% annual dividend if you have the Chase Checking account (10/10 program).

So - if this is the case, the Freedom is the preferred card out of these two for non-Sapphire bonus categories.

Is this correct - or am I missing something?

thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

dragob (Mar. 05, 2013 @ 8:39p) |

BenH (Mar. 05, 2013 @ 8:56p) |

Kit Kat and Air Delight Kisses are both made by Hershey...
as are York Peppermint Patties which are now made in Mexico.

N... (more)

dragob (Mar. 05, 2013 @ 9:13p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

BenH said:   Sapphire has 7% annual dividend.

Freedom (apparently) has 10% annual dividend if you have the Chase Checking account (10/10 program).

So - if this is the case, the Freedom is the preferred card out of these two for non-Sapphire bonus categories.

Is this correct - or am I missing something?

thanks.

I have the three accounts you mentioned but I don't know about the 10/10 program you are talking about. I don't think I ever received any rewards like that from chase.

For Freedom, it's not really a 10% annual dividend, but rather every month, you get 10% extra points... in the end it comes out to be the same, but monthly rather than annually.

It also gives you 10 points per swipe, so Freedom is my go-to card for any small purchases...

Unfortunately, they don't offer 10/10 anymore.
Starting November 2012 they only offer 10% (if you have a checking account with them).
It seems like they are retiring this program.

I opened my Freedom in July 2012, but I didn't have the Chase checking account till January 2013.
Even though my Freedom account was opened before November 2012, they could not offer me 10/10 because the checking account was opened after November 2012.

I found this thread after asking - which is related to the OP.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1258172/

So - granted the 10 points per transaction *may have * been discontinued - but the 10% extra points is still in effect.

I had both the Freedom and the checking account before the November deadline last year - so I am currently enrolled in the 10/10. It looks like however (from the other post) that the 10/swipe might get taken away even for those of us who were grandfathered in previously.

The 10% is monthly instead of 7% dividend annually as another has posted.

That being said, I'm still right in assuming the 10% monthly back on the Freedom is better than the 7% annual on Sapphire.

It seems like stupidly simple math that the Freedom is better, I just wanted to ensure that I wasn't missing something here...

Sapphire Preferred has better redemption options for points and allows you to transfer points between accounts.

Sigh...it all depends on what you like to do. Freedom won't let you transfer UR points to the airline miles/hotel points.

JTausTX said:   Sapphire Preferred has better redemption options for points and allows you to transfer points between accounts.

vagrants said:   Sigh...it all depends on what you like to do. Freedom won't let you transfer UR points to the airline miles/hotel points.

Let me clarify - or add to the original post. The assumption (or at least my assumption - which is why I am now clarifying it ) is that one would own both cards.

That being said - all of the benefits that you are describing in terms of flexibility with UR will be available with both cards - since you can freely transfer points around as long as you have a Preferred card.

Obviously one needs to make the choice to get the preferred - since it has an annual fee. However, once one has the CSP, there is virtually no reason not to get the Freedom (since it is free) and take advantage of the 10% over the 7%.

Alexxa said:   Unfortunately, they don't offer 10/10 anymore.
Starting November 2012 they only offer 10% (if you have a checking account with them).

I opened my Freedom in July 2012, but I didn't have the Chase checking account till January 2013.
Even though my Freedom account was opened before November 2012, they could not offer me 10/10 because the checking account was opened after November 2012.

Per my most recent statement:

Previous Points Balance = 12,287
+ 1% (1 pt)/ $1 earned on all purchases = 447
+ 10% Extra points per $1 you spend = 45
+ Bonus 10 points on every purchase = 130
+ Bonus points from 5% categories: Jan - Mar = 1,008
+ 1% (1 pt)/ $1 on Ultimate Rewards Travel = 169
= Total points available for redemption = 14,086

Chase Checking customer, you'll earn even more. You'll receive an additional 10% Extra points per $1 spent and 10 bonus points on every purchase.

I opened my checking account about 8 months ago and got my Freedom 3 months ago.

OP: see this thread on how to best use the cards.
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/CSP-Freedom-Checkin...

Thanks for that link.

FYI you should refer to the link I posted a few above. You mention that you opened your Freedom 3 months ago. There was a cut off supposedly in November 2012 to open the Freedom and still get the 10/10 program.
If you opened it after that time, I'm surprised you got in.

Regardless, as the link I posted above to the other thread shows - some people have apparently gotten letters stating the 10 points/transaction is being removed from the card.

I don't know more details then is what is given in that thread (including a letter scan) - but it is possible we all will lose the 10 points/transaction over the next few months.

foeplay said:   Alexxa said:   Unfortunately, they don't offer 10/10 anymore.

Per my most recent statement:

Previous Points Balance = 12,287
+ 1% (1 pt)/ $1 earned on all purchases = 447
+ 10% Extra points per $1 you spend = 45
+ Bonus 10 points on every purchase = 130
+ Bonus points from 5% categories: Jan - Mar = 1,008
+ 1% (1 pt)/ $1 on Ultimate Rewards Travel = 169
= Total points available for redemption = 14,086

Chase Checking customer, you'll earn even more. You'll receive an additional 10% Extra points per $1 spent and 10 bonus points on every purchase.

I opened my checking account about 8 months ago and got my Freedom 3 months ago.

OP: see this thread on how to best use the cards.
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/CSP-Freedom-Checkin...

I was approved for Freedom in mid November/2012 (which I guess falls in before the cutoff date you mentioned). I actually tried to sign up for the 10/10 and multiple CSRs blew me off pretending they didn't know what it was so couldn't add it. Well in late January I got a letter from Chase telling me my that my card now comes with the 10/10 program so I was thrilled, then next statement I noticed the rewards I copy pastad earlier in the thread. Maybe the 10/10 program is now back and here to stay since that letter is so recent. I can grab it when I get home and scan it to post tomorrow if needbe.

Yeah I got my Freedom card just a bit before the cut-off (maybe the weekend before)...and my 10/10 only started kicking in during January.

So - I find it strange that they would have just started me in on a program that others are receiving letters about it ending....

foeplay said:   I was approved for Freedom in mid November/2012 (which I guess falls in before the cutoff date you mentioned). I actually tried to sign up for the 10/10 and multiple CSRs blew me off pretending they didn't know what it was so couldn't add it. Well in late January I got a letter from Chase telling me my that my card now comes with the 10/10 program so I was thrilled, then next statement I noticed the rewards I copy pastad earlier in the thread. Maybe the 10/10 program is now back and here to stay since that letter is so recent. I can grab it when I get home and scan it to post tomorrow if needbe.

From my perspective, Chase has now ruined their Freedom cc benefit program.
There is no longer an immediate incentive to use it for smaller, everyday purchases.

And as asked in the other thread, what will you now use?

dragob said:   .
There is no longer an immediate incentive to use it for smaller, everyday purchases.

BenH said:   

Cash

Great - so get 0 points instead. Good strategy!

dragob said:   BenH said:   

Cash

For me, it's more the principle than the numbers.

Chase chose to lower my benefits, so I will lower their merchant fees.

If others did the same [and some will], it would send Chase a message.

If others prefer to quietly accept the reduced/inferior benefits Chase offers...
that speaks volumes about them... not me.

It is the same cycle as always - new cards with great benefits to attract customers and those benefits are slowly weaned away to upgrade to newer products.

I can respect the idea of doing it for the principal of it - however I would venture that less than 25% of all Freedom card owners were aware of this benefit. Less than 25% of those really see its removal as a *major* issue.

And, if you want to send a message to Chase - ok...but why state you are going to use Cash everywhere? You can always use a card from another institution.

Your posts/reaction come off as alarmist and extreme as opposed to taking a rational approach to the actual issue and how to mitigate the losses.

For me, it's more the principle than the numbers.

Chase chose to lower my benefits, so I will lower their merchant fees.

If others did the same [and some will], it would send Chase a message.

If others prefer to quietly accept the reduced/inferior benefits Chase offers...
that speaks volumes about them... not me.

BenH said:   

Your posts/reaction come off as alarmist and extreme as opposed to taking a rational approach to the actual issue and how to mitigate the losses.

Ok, so I'm "alarmist" and "extreme" because I don't like the new and "improved" version.

Seal that with a kiss.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2011-06-07-kissesairdelight.jpg

I'm not trying to defend the new card as "improved" - there is no doubt a net loss. However that loss is probably less than $50 a year for most everyone. Those who were making significantly more than that on the 10/transaction were most likely abusing it. Chase likely either is shutting it down due to their belief that the relatively small amount for those using it was not a big of enough reason for them to decide to move off...either that or there were enough abusers to raise the red flags.

I can't fault you for not liking the changes - but I can for the view that since you can't get your 10/transaction now that the proper solution is to just pay cash. A reaction like that makes one believe you aren't really serious about the points/CB game in the first place if you are willing to let something petty like this cause you to ruin the chance to get something back.

And thanks for the kiss...I didn't know they made those, I need to find some now...

dragob said:   BenH said:   

Ok, so I'm "alarmist" and "extreme" because I don't like the new and "improved" version.

Seal that with a kiss.

BenH said:   

And thanks for the kiss...I didn't know they made those, I need to find some now...

dragob said:   

lol

The ultimate chutzpah... replacing chocolate with air.

Mitch Hedberg said: "The Kit Kat candy bar has the name 'Kit Kat' imprinted in the chocolate. That robs you of chocolate! Kit Kat has come up with a clever chocolate saving-technique. I'm gonna go down to the Kit Kat factory, and say 'Hey, you owe me some letters."

dragob said:   
The ultimate chutzpah... replacing chocolate with air.

Kit Kat and Air Delight Kisses are both made by Hershey...
as are York Peppermint Patties which are now made in Mexico.

New does not equal improved and change does not equal success
as Cola Cola discovered decades ago.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014