Ebay gift card to fund PayPal?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am renting a vacation home in the early summer - the owner only accepts PayPal payments. Does anyone know if I can fund my PayPal account with an eBay gift card purchased for example at my local pharmacy or supermarket?

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

CVS and Rite Aid sells PayPal My Cash cards which you can use to load your Paypal account.

It's only if the purchase originates through eBay. You enter the gift cards on the eBay summary page before they shoot you over to PayPal. Now hypothetically you could set up a sham auction, and be the winning bidder in paying yourself with eBay gift cards, but you'd lose on the eBay and Paypal fees.

nope wont work, eBay gc are applied to a purchase before paypal

esphan said:   CVS and Rite Aid sells PayPal My Cash cards which you can use to load your Paypal account.

Interesting.... If you use these to load your PayPal account, can you deposit the same amount into your linked bank account immediately afterwards?

DelCheapo said:   esphan said:   CVS and Rite Aid sells PayPal My Cash cards which you can use to load your Paypal account.

Interesting.... If you use these to load your PayPal account, can you deposit the same amount into your linked bank account immediately afterwards?


Guys, stop trying to find ways to churn with Paypal. You can't do it without raising suspicion. They will freeze your account for anything out of the ordinary.

avalon6 said:   DelCheapo said:   esphan said:   CVS and Rite Aid sells PayPal My Cash cards which you can use to load your Paypal account.

Interesting.... If you use these to load your PayPal account, can you deposit the same amount into your linked bank account immediately afterwards?


Guys, stop trying to find ways to churn with Paypal. You can't do it without raising suspicion. They will freeze your account for anything out of the ordinary.


And hold your funds for 180 days.... So much fun!

DelCheapo said:   esphan said:   CVS and Rite Aid sells PayPal My Cash cards which you can use to load your Paypal account.

Interesting.... If you use these to load your PayPal account, can you deposit the same amount into your linked bank account immediately afterwards?

Yes you can. And have your account frozen immediately afterwards. Although they may just warn you the first time, if your account is seasoned and had regular activity in the past.

Right, this confirms a few things for me. Too much hassle and possibility of futher issues. Was just trying to see if there is an easy way for 5%.

I'm just trying to maximize my rewards here, not create a frozen account. I ended up paying for the vacation rental with my AMEX Blue via PayPal, 1% is better than nothing.

CorradoJr said:   Right, this confirms a few things for me. Too much hassle and possibility of futher issues. Was just trying to see if there is an easy way for 5%.

I'm just trying to maximize my rewards here, not create a frozen account. I ended up paying for the vacation rental with my AMEX Blue via PayPal, 1% is better than nothing.
Well, you could have absolutely safely used Paypal reload packs to pay - they're designed for that, don't need to be afraid too much.

What others had warned about - don't use Paypal as cards laundering machine, but you're reasonably safe with legitimate paying/buying activities

BTW - this comes from a record holder in eBay GCs usage, I processed north of $200K of them

neophyte said:   CorradoJr said:   Right, this confirms a few things for me. Too much hassle and possibility of futher issues. Was just trying to see if there is an easy way for 5%.

I'm just trying to maximize my rewards here, not create a frozen account. I ended up paying for the vacation rental with my AMEX Blue via PayPal, 1% is better than nothing.
Well, you could have absolutely safely used Paypal reload packs to pay - they're designed for that, don't need to be afraid too much.

What others had warned about - don't use Paypal as cards laundering machine, but you're reasonably safe with legitimate paying/buying activities

BTW - this comes from a record holder in eBay GCs usage, I processed north of $200K of them


I thought there was a 5k limit every 90 days? Or have you been doing this for 10 years?

rhino850 said:   neophyte said:   CorradoJr said:   Right, this confirms a few things for me. Too much hassle and possibility of futher issues. Was just trying to see if there is an easy way for 5%.

I'm just trying to maximize my rewards here, not create a frozen account. I ended up paying for the vacation rental with my AMEX Blue via PayPal, 1% is better than nothing.
Well, you could have absolutely safely used Paypal reload packs to pay - they're designed for that, don't need to be afraid too much.

What others had warned about - don't use Paypal as cards laundering machine, but you're reasonably safe with legitimate paying/buying activities

BTW - this comes from a record holder in eBay GCs usage, I processed north of $200K of them


I thought there was a 5k limit every 90 days? Or have you been doing this for 10 years?
From the T&C:
No more than a total of $500 in Gift Cards may be used per eBay purchase. Further, unverified PayPal accounts are limited to a total of $500 in Gift Card purchases in any 30-day period and verified PayPal accounts are limited to $5,000 in Gift Card purchases in any 180-day period.

Since each person is limited to 2 PayPal accounts, I would assume that there are other family members/friends involved.

OMG - yes, many years (starting with LiveSearch/Bing epoch) multiple accounts; $60K-$70K annual

I posted the photo of my then $100K stack a few years back; unfortunately my family had forced me to dispose of it

kjgco said:   rhino850 said:   neophyte said:   CorradoJr said:   Right, this confirms a few things for me. Too much hassle and possibility of futher issues. Was just trying to see if there is an easy way for 5%.

I'm just trying to maximize my rewards here, not create a frozen account. I ended up paying for the vacation rental with my AMEX Blue via PayPal, 1% is better than nothing.
Well, you could have absolutely safely used Paypal reload packs to pay - they're designed for that, don't need to be afraid too much.

What others had warned about - don't use Paypal as cards laundering machine, but you're reasonably safe with legitimate paying/buying activities

BTW - this comes from a record holder in eBay GCs usage, I processed north of $200K of them


I thought there was a 5k limit every 90 days? Or have you been doing this for 10 years?
From the T&C:
No more than a total of $500 in Gift Cards may be used per eBay purchase. Further, unverified PayPal accounts are limited to a total of $500 in Gift Card purchases in any 30-day period and verified PayPal accounts are limited to $5,000 in Gift Card purchases in any 180-day period.

Since each person is limited to 2 PayPal accounts, I would assume that there are other family members/friends involved.


I've read that in there T&C too, but I've done more than $500 on many transactions and have cleared $5000/yr (on a single account) for a few years. I'm a really long time ebayer/paypal, so maybe I've had some limits waived.

novocane said:   

I've read that in there T&C too, but I've done more than $500 on many transactions and have cleared $5000/yr (on a single account) for a few years. I'm a really long time ebayer/paypal, so maybe I've had some limits waived.


FYI, if your paypal account gets limited, Paypal will reverse your orders and will not return your gift cards amount you use to place the order. Stay away from eBay gift cards.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014