• filter:
  • 16789 10
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
NEDeals said:   
noelandres said:   I just sent BoA a message asking for the last quarter $30. This is their response:

"After reviewing your account, we found that it was changed to the BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards card on 12/06/2013. Therefore, your account did not qualify for the $30.00 fourth quarter Cash Back

In order for you to qualify for quarterly cash reward, you must:

- Have a payment due in each monthly cycle of the calendar quarter
- Pay more than the minimum payment due for each monthly cycle in the calendar quarter
- Pay each monthly bill in the calendar quarter on time
- Have their credit card open and in good standing."

I thought that for converted cards, BoA took into account the previous cards statements. For the 4Q, I had 2 statements on my BoA Cash Rewards card, and 1 statement on the BoA Better Balance. Do you need 3 statements on the Better Balance card? Or at least 2?

It sounds like you meet their requirements, I would wait and see.  Remember, the email CSR are all foreign based and not reliable.  By strictly looking at their rules, you should only need to qualify beginning when you start the Better Balance.  But they have a secret rule for converted  accounts: You need to meet the Better Balance qualifications for the entire quarter, even the portion before you obtained the BB card.  If you had a balance due for each month and you made a BB qualifying payment (regardless of the conversion status)  during October, November, December, you should be fine.   

I was checking my February transactions in Mint.com and noticed a "FIA Cash Rewards" (or something like that) transaction for $30.00 on my BoA savigns account. Seems like the CSR who replied to me was wrong, as I got the $30.00 bonus! Although it came late, since the deadline was January 31st. This was a pleasant surprise

rated:
Unrelated question, but figured someone here might know the answer: How does Bank of America figures the date a checking account statement closes? I ask because some months it closes on the 19th, some others the 20th, all the way to the 22th. I can't figure it out and last time I called them, they gave me wrong information (said my February statement was closing on the 20th and it closed on the 19th). Plus, calling them seems like I spend 30 min. waiting. So, if someone knows the answer, let me know. Thanks.

rated:
Best to start a thread for your question or why not just email bank and ask? I've never waited close to 30 minutes for a call either.

This thread is about the Better Balance Credit Card.

rated:
maybe you can buy $GC and sold it on eBay anyway, you earn it for free right? XD I am wondering to do this later, one coffee one month to meet the requirement XDD.
btw, when I apply this card, I quickly get an message that I have to wait, I thought it was disapprove, and got approved letter today, interesting.

rated:
the $30.00 BB reward was applied to wife and my savings acct yesterday!!!

rated:
barrytuneup said:   the $30.00 BB reward was applied to wife and my savings acct yesterday!!!

Mine too, early for a change

rated:
Still waiting for my $30.00. Met all the requirements. Anyone else not get the bonus but met the requirements?

rated:
noelandres said:   
barrytuneup said:   the $30.00 BB reward was applied to wife and my savings acct yesterday!!!

Me too!  First time I have not had to chase them down since I converted a year ago.

rated:
s3riously said:   
noelandres said:   

Me too!  First time I have not had to chase them down since I converted a year ago.

$120 for me.  This is the first time I've actually received the credit for all four accounts.  Some of the quarters I screwed up the requirements for one reason or another, though there are probably a couple I should have called and complained about not getting.  But now I seem to have the routine down; as soon as each statement cuts, that card goes into my "small transaction" rotation, and I'll try to get a purchase on there quick so I don't have to worry about it.  And all BBR and BankAmeriDeals credits go straight into the checking account, so I don't have the potential for them to give me a negative balance.

Money for nothing, I love it.

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   
Money for nothing, I love it.

... and your checks for free!

rated:
I got the bonuses on 04/04 as well.

rated:
PerkGetter said:   Still waiting for my $30.00. Met all the requirements. Anyone else not get the bonus but met the requirements?

Yes...I am.

I called today and had to escalate it to a supervisor because the representative was clueless and claimed that making purchases each month and paying them off 100% did not qualify for the reward.

Supervisor then had to create a ticket for it to be investigated.

rated:
jonesle7 said:   
PerkGetter said:   Still waiting for my $30.00. Met all the requirements. Anyone else not get the bonus but met the requirements?

Yes...I am.

I called today and had to escalate it to a supervisor because the representative was clueless and claimed that making purchases each month and paying them off 100% did not qualify for the reward.

Yeah... Same story here for the first 4 or so cycles.  This is the first one that got paid sans prompting from me.

rated:
s3riously said:   
jonesle7 said:   

Yes...I am.

Yeah... Same story here for the first 4 or so cycles.  This is the first one that got paid sans prompting from me.

A little more info about my situation:

BOA did not pay my Q1 2014 bonus and their customer service sucks to deal with.

Huge waste of time arguing with them and getting no where.  We will see if the escalation ticket actually produces any results.  The average customer service rep does not understand the program and they have a different story about what you are supposed to do to qualify.

During Q4 2013 I made one purchase each month and paid it off immediately each month before the statement even closed and BOA paid the reward (i.e. minimum payment due was $0 at the end of each month on the actual statement).

Same scenario for Q1 2014 but BOA did not pay the reward and says I did not qualify because there was no minimum payment due on the statement date.

Technically, I should meet the requirements of the T&C's even if the statement balance is $0 because I paid prior to the statement date.  But to avoid these difficulties in the future by waiting for the statement to close with a balance due to make the payment each month.

Also, here are the actual T&C's in case anyone needs to argue with BOA

https://www.managerewardsonline.fiacardservices.com/cms/published/root/dcb/PDF/BAC_BetterBalance_PR.pdf

Notice this key part of the T&C's:  "Qualifying Payment — A monthly payment received on or before the Due Date, which is more than the Minimum Payment due; a payment in full received on or before the Due Date is a Qualifying Payment."

Finally, I also determined that you can change where your reward is deposited into from a statement credit to a deposit directly into your checking or savings account with BOA.  Here is the website to make this change:

www.bankofamerica.com/betterbalancerewards

rated:
jonesle7 said:   
s3riously said:   
jonesle7 said:   

Yes...I am.

Huge waste of time arguing with them and getting no where.  We will see if the escalation ticket actually produces any results.  The average customer service rep does not understand the program and they have a different story about what you are supposed to do to qualify.

During Q4 2013 I made one purchase each month and paid it off immediately each month before the statement even closed and BOA paid the reward (i.e. minimum payment due was $0 at the end of each month on the actual statement).

Same scenario for Q1 2014 but BOA did not pay the reward and says I did not qualify because there was no minimum payment due on the statement date.

Technically, I should meet the requirements of the T&C's even if the statement balance is $0 because I paid prior to the statement date.  But to avoid these difficulties in the future by waiting for the statement to close with a balance due to make the payment each month.

https://www.managerewardsonline.fiacardservices.com/cms/published/root/dcb/PDF/BAC_BetterBalance_PR.pdf 

Notice this key part of the T&C's:  "Qualifying Payment — A monthly payment received on or before the Due Date, which is more than the Minimum Payment due; a payment in full received on or before the Due Date is a Qualifying Payment."

Finally, I also determined that you can change where your reward is deposited into from a statement credit to a deposit directly into your checking or savings account with BOA.  Here is the website to make this change:

I always wait for the statement to cut, then pay the balance.  I still had problems getting the bonus until this last one.

rated:
jonesle7 said:   
s3riously said:   
jonesle7 said:   

Yes...I am.

Why did you make the payment before the statement cuts?  I'm surprised it worked in 4Q 2013, unless it was the first quarter that you had the card.   You need to have a minimum balance due, and once you do, a full payment by the due date is a winner. 

rated:
jonesle7 said:   
s3riously said:   
jonesle7 said:   

Yes...I am.

Dude, I wish you the best of luck in arguing with BofA.  But I don't see how any reasonable person would understand the terms the way you do.  A "payment on or before the due date" would have to be *after* the statement is cut, because before the statement is cut, there is no payment due.  Straight from the terms:

You must have a payment due in each of 
the monthly cycles of the calendar quarter 
to be eligible for the Quarterly Cash 
Reward; a zero balance or a credit balance 
does not qualify.

You might be able to sweet-talk a supervisor into giving you a one-time credit just to get you off the phone, but I think it would be a challenge.  And you shouldn't expect this to work ever again.  You're just itching to game this program out of existence.

Oh, and I wasn't aware there was a separate portal into manage awards.  I just use the regular bankofamerica.com login and go to my Account Summary and under Rewards is a link for "View rewards preference" where you can set the method of awards redemption.  You can do the same for the BankAmeriDeals under Cash Back Deals | Preferences.

Chris.

rated:
Update, I still didn't get the bonus. According to the TOS, there must be a due date during the quarter any qualifying payment is made. So even though I opened the account in Feb, got my first statement in March, and made a qualifying payment in March, my first due date was actually in April. Thus my qualifying payment in March applies to my April due date. Confusing, and maybe not fair, but thems the rules. Going forward, I should get the bonus.

rated:
Read the terms again. For new accounts*, you only need to meet the requirements for the months that the account is open during the first quarter that the new account is open.

* BoA says that this provision does not apply to converted accounts, only brand new credit applications.

rated:
NEDeals said:   Read the terms again. For new accounts*, you only need to meet the requirements for the months that the account is open during the first quarter that the new account is open.

* BoA says that this provision does not apply to converted accounts, only brand new credit applications.

~~Here is the wording I got "~If your account was opened after the start of a new calendar quarter, you can still earn a
Quarterly Cash Reward for that quarter as long as all the payments you make within that quarter
are Qualifying Payments with DUE DATES THAT FALL WITHIN THAT QUARTER." That last part "with Due Dates that fall within the quarter" I agree is vague but may explain why I didn't get the bonus for the partial opening quarter. My first due date was in April even though I made my one qualified payment in March.

rated:
PerkGetter said:   
NEDeals said:   Read the terms again. For new accounts*, you only need to meet the requirements for the months that the account is open during the first quarter that the new account is open.

~~Here is the wording I got "~If your account was opened after the start of a new calendar quarter, you can still earn a
Quarterly Cash Reward for that quarter as long as all the payments you make within that quarter
are Qualifying Payments with DUE DATES THAT FALL WITHIN THAT QUARTER." That last part "with Due Dates that fall within the quarter" I agree is vague but may explain why I didn't get the bonus for the partial opening quarter. My first due date was in April even though I made my one qualified payment in March.

I also got declined by the rep. over the secure message, and then one month later the money on my converted card was paid. I think BoA reps. don't know how converted accounts work.

rated:
Has anyone tried to convert from the WorldPoints (former Motley Fool) card? I called and they said it's ok to convert, but it would have a different account number. Is that true?

rated:
prikindel said:   Has anyone tried to convert from the WorldPoints (former Motley Fool) card? I called and they said it's ok to convert, but it would have a different account number. Is that true?
I think it's safe to say yes, you can convert it and it will get a new card number.

While I can't speak specifically about the MF card, I did have a different WorldPoints card that converted just fine (I did cash out my points first, as I was advised that whatever points were left would be forfeited).  I would think any WorldPoints card would work the same.

And every BofA card I've converted, regardless of previous program, got a new card number when converted to BBR.

Chris.

rated:
noelandres said:   
PerkGetter said:   

I also got declined by the rep. over the secure message, and then one month later the money on my converted card was paid. I think BoA reps. don't know how converted accounts work.

See above about US based reps vs foreign based reps.  Chat reps are almost certainly Costa Rica, India, Mexico, or Philippines. 

rated:
cpaynter said:   
prikindel said:   Has anyone tried to convert from the WorldPoints (former Motley Fool) card? I called and they said it's ok to convert, but it would have a different account number. Is that true?
I think it's safe to say yes, you can convert it and it will get a new card number.

While I can't speak specifically about the MF card, I did have a different WorldPoints card that converted just fine (I did cash out my points first, as I was advised that whatever points were left would be forfeited).  I would think any WorldPoints card would work the same.

And every BofA card I've converted, regardless of previous program, got a new card number when converted to BBR.

Chris.

Thanks, Chris. So is there any reason to make the conversion, as opposed to applying for a new card?

rated:
prikindel said:   
cpaynter said:   

Chris.

Thanks, Chris. So is there any reason to make the conversion, as opposed to applying for a new card?

There is no credit pull if you convert a card. A new application will certainly hit your report, and that inquiry is better used elsewhere IMO.

rated:
ITAF3Can said:   
prikindel said:   
cpaynter said:   

Chris.

There is no credit pull if you convert a card. A new application will certainly hit your report, and that inquiry is better used elsewhere IMO.

What he said.  This card will get a max $120 in the first year, which is under my threshold for a new credit hit.  The conversion avoids that.  

If I were to decide I wanted a new BBR card, I'd instead apply for a BofA Cash Rewards card, meet the $750 spend, cash in my $100 opening bonus for that program, then convert the card to BBR.  Then I'd be getting $220 in the first year, then $120 in each succeeding year.

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   
ITAF3Can said:   
prikindel said:   
cpaynter said:   

Chris.

What he said.  This card will get a max $120 in the first year, which is under my threshold for a new credit hit.  The conversion avoids that.  

If I were to decide I wanted a new BBR card, I'd instead apply for a BofA Cash Rewards card, meet the $750 spend, cash in my $100 opening bonus for that program, then convert the card to BBR.  Then I'd be getting $220 in the first year, then $120 in each succeeding year.

Chris.

I see, thank you!

rated:
Anybody get (or not get) the bonus for quarter ending June 2014? Mine hasn't shown up yet.

rated:
PerkGetter said:   Anybody get (or not get) the bonus for quarter ending June 2014? Mine hasn't shown up yet.

Got mine today

rated:
They post on 7/4??? I guess computers don't know it's a holiday

rated:
Both bonuses posted today 7/7/14.

Question: is anyone spending just 5 to 10 dollars a month on the card and getting the bonus with no problem?

rated:
AZpennypincher said:   Both bonuses posted today 7/7/14.

Question: is anyone spending just 5 to 10 dollars a month on the card and getting the bonus with no problem?

$2 per month on 2 cards for 3-4 cycles now.

Also got the bonuses today.

rated:
$1 a month this year and got bonuses last 2 qtrs

rated:
Bonus posted on 7/7/2014. All months I charge $7.99 to it

rated:
Thanks! Sounds like any amount works.

rated:
What are the redemption options for the bonus? Can you request a check?

rated:
If sent to a linked BOA checking/savings acct, you get $30.00.

rated:
barrytuneup said:   If sent to a linked BOA checking/savings acct, you get $30.00.
I don't have a BofA account and don't plan on opening one for this card, so it's not an option for me.  Is the only other option a statement credit?  Was planning only to use the card for my Netflix or Spotify subscription, but when/if I receive the statement credits, I would need to remember to charge more for that month to avoid a credit balance...which is why I was asking if it's possible to just request a check instead.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014