[UPDATED WITH RESULTS] 5/2013 AOR

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
UPDATE: Results of 5/2013 AOR

Total applications approved: 4
Total applications declined: 1 (Citibank wanted to do a second hard pull, in addition to a SSA-89 form in order to process my application)
Total amount of NEW credit approved: $38k+
# of CC applications pending: ?1
# of CLI applications approved: 1
# of CLI applications pending: ?1
Total spend to get signup bonuses (for the 4 approved applications): $3k in 3 months for $650 in statement credit + $75 Amazon GC + 80k Priority Club points

I now have a couple cards with CLs > $10k and my total CL is almost 1.5x my gross annual income. It's almost scary that they trust me with this when my SSN is so young and credit file so thin because it makes me wonder about all the other people that have huge lines of credit...

I delayed as long as I could, hoping that some nice signup bonuses would pop up, but it didn't happen. I ended up applying for the following cards:
- Barclays Arrival MC ($400 for $1k spend) - required a call, but was approved for $5k
- Discover It ($75 Amazon GC via Amazon) - required two calls (the first time, I got some BS from the first CSR - AFTER I cleared all of their security verification questions - that they didn't believe I was who I said I was and then hung up on me), but was approved for $7k. I did have to upload a photo of my SS card and provide detailed employment information as part of the automated form.
- AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ($250 for $1k spend) - $13k CL auto-approved
- AMEX Blue Cash Everyday AMEX ($150 after 500 spend) - I was an idiot and got excited after being approved for the BCP card, so I applied for the BCE card right after. I'm not sure if they'll just ignore it and not do a pull (the automated decision message was "Please call us at 1-800-582-6471 to be connected directly to a Customer Care Professional who will provide you with a decision")
- Chase Priority Club (80k for $1k spend) - required a call, but was approved for over $5k
- Citi Platinum Select/AA (50k for $2.5k spend in 4 months) - I called in twice - the first time, I was only told that there was some additional processing that was required but that they couldn't discuss or do it over the phone. The second time I called, I was told that I will receive a letter in the mail saying that I need to get some form from the Social Security Administration that I have to to send in to Citi so that they can approve my application.

Interestingly enough, American Express was the ONLY credit card issuer to automatically approve my application...and they approved me for my largest CL to date ($13k, which was almost the sum of my previous two largest CLs!)

I was thinking of applying for the CapOne Cash Visa, but decided to quit while I was ahead. I ended up consolidating the CLs on most of my cards with AFs coming due (they all declined to waive the AF or provide any incentive) and then cancelling those cards. I also applied for CLIs for a couple cards...though I applied after regular business hours and suspect/am worried that they will do additional hard pulls tomorrow. The last thing I did was convert a useless BofA card to their BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Visa.

====================================================

I've put this off too much because I was waiting for the good credit card signup bonuses to pop up, but they seem to be much fewer now than they were last year.

I am planning to keep the no-fee cards and get rid of the annual fee cards (though, still on the fence with Costco - I bought my tires there and am not sure if I need to keep membership to take advantage of their warranty).

Ideally, I would apply for the new cards, reallocate existing credit lines to those cards, then cancel the current cards.

Credit Karma score: 758
Credit Sesame score: 771
My average age of accounts is very young.
Income: I usually just enter $50k

I don't spend that much on a regular basis (i.e. no business expenses I can get reimbursed for or anything like that), so lower spending requirements are preferable. However, if it is a very good offer and worth paying the foreign exchange fee, I may be able to make some bill payments for family members to hit spend requirements.

For what it's worth, I value Aeroplan miles highly.

As far as traveling, I am very restricted by work and all time off has to be planned out at least a couple months in advance (though, I may not get the approval until weeks before the date). I mainly fly Delta because they are the only airline that has direct flights to where I fly (I don't want to mention specific locations, but all the places are within North America), but they are expensive. A roundtrip ticket is almost always over $500 or 50k miles+$100-200. When I travel, I usually have a place to stay (friends, relatives, or timeshare) or I can get something reasonably-priced on Priceline, so I don't think I would get much (if any) value out of hotel points. I don't get enough time off to fly overseas much, but hopefully that will pick up in the next 1-3 years.

--------------------------------------------

Current credit cards
Fee:
(? $1k) Costco AMEX - I don't really use my Costco membership anymore - I've gone once or twice in the last 6 months and usually end up buying mostly stuff I don't need.

($1k) Delta AMEX - Their flights are expensive, even for award flights.

(~$8k) Chase United Visa - I haven't flown United since I took a trip overseas a couple years ago. I also can't use the $99 companion pass because I don't have much time off to fly and I don't have anyone to travel with.

($1k) Barclays US Airways MasterCard - I can't remember the last time I flew US Airways. I have wasted hours with both Barclays and US Airways over an issue of getting issued and then accessing my signup bonus miles that were supposed to have been issued almost a year ago. I still don't have access to them and am totally fed up with US Airways.

No fee (CL in parentheses):
($2k) FIA AMEX (2% CB on everything)

($2k) FIA Visa (1.5% CB on everything)

($500) BofA Visa (no CB afaik, but it's the first credit card I received)

(~$8k) US Bank Cash+ Visa (1% CB on everything with rotating 2% & 5% categories; recently, they removed some of the useful categories like bill pay; I only use it for 5% CB at restaurants)

($3k) Chase Freedom Visa (1% CB on everything with rotating 5% categories; also grandfathered in for the 10&10 package; this is my go-to card for purchases $10 or under, unless it's a restaurant purchase above $2)

--------------------------------------------

Credit card signup offers I'm thinking about:
- Chase British Airways - 50k Avios for $1k spend in 3 months. While it is chip & pin and has no foreign exchange fee, the $95AF is NOT waived the first year, however. I've never flown BA and it's been years since I flew AA. Only considering it because it has a low spend requirement.
- AMEX Premier Rewards Gold - 50k Membership Rewards points for $1k spend in months
- AMEX Blue Cash Everyday - $150 back with $500 spend in 3 months
- Discover It - no signup bonus, but no annual fee or foreign transaction fee (I think it's the only Discover consumer card available atm)
- Barclays Frontier Mastercard - 35k miles with $750 spend in 3 months + 10k miles for balance transfer.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No one bored enough to suggest interesting offers? It seems like there's a lull in signup bonuses...

that's what you get for posting on a Sunday

you don't want hotel points, you want Delta miles and aeroplan miles.

Unfortunately, that limits your offers primarily to AMEX, AMEX, and AMEX. You already have the PRG listed. MR convert to aeroplan and skymiles.

Biz gold 75k after 10k spend - https://www262.americanexpress.com/business-card-application/bus...
Biz Delta AMEX - not sure of the best offer, but probably in the 35-35k skymiles range.

Not sure what the eligibility requirements are but the CIBC Aventura cards transfer to aeroplan
https://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/aventura-visa-infinite-card.html#av...
15k pts after first purchase. Not a huge offer, but it's a random off the beaten path bank.

since you like aeroplan, you may also value star alliance partners - Chase United, Barclays US Air (though that may change with merger with AA). There are standard offers posted all over the internet.
Also look at Alaskan airlines- BOA 25k miles https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/alaska-airli... upon approval (FYI, they may decide to approve you for a lesser card with a lesser signup bonus, tough noogies if that happens). Those miles can be used to redeem on Delta.

Thanks for taking the time to reply . Actually, I actually already have the CIBC Infinite (with the 15k signup bonus), but didn't list it because it's not a US card and I don't really have much of a credit history there, either.

I had seen the 75k miles for 10k spend, but it's not on my list because if I had to do that large of a spend, the payments would need to be made as larger charges; also, I would incur foreign transaction fees (iirc, 2.75% is the AMEX standard). Considering that CLs on my current AMEX cards ($1k each) and that my over largest CL is only a little more than $8k (US Bank Cash+), it seems unlikely that AMEX would grant me a large CL.

I have the Barclays US Airways and Chase United cards currently, but have not really gotten any benefit from them beyond the signup bonus - and the signup bonus for the US Air is still in question a year later!

I have been carrying around the Alaska Airlines offer on paper for a while, but never applied exactly because I was worried that I would only be approved for the lower card that barely gives any miles.

I know that people often apply for business cards as "sole proprietor," and while I do have a very small business I run on the side (not in the US), I always worry about what the tax implications of applying for a business card would be. My main concern would be if I need to file more stuff for taxes!

I found a new link for the AMEX biz gold today -75k after 5k spend. That's easier. I posted it two places.

If you're interested in applying for business credit cards, here's one from Chase. https://www.chase.com/online/business-credit-cards/ink-bold.htm

50,000 UR points for 5k spend in 3 months.

Thanks for the suggestions . While I know that you can apply (and be accepted) for business cards, I'm hesitant to apply for them because I worry about what the tax implications of a business card (I do have my own small business on the side with revenue <$15k/year, but the revenue is not generated in the US and does not touch the US in way). More specifically, I am concerned that I may potentially have to file more stuff for taxes with a business card or produce business tax documents for AMEX.

Added Barclays Frontier Mastercard to the list ($35k with $750 spend in 3 months + 10k for a balance transfer)

bytem3 said:   Added Barclays Frontier Mastercard to the list ($35k with $750 spend in 3 months + 10k for a balance transfer)

link?

07pilot4me said:   bytem3 said:   Added Barclays Frontier Mastercard to the list ($35k with $750 spend in 3 months + 10k for a balance transfer)

link?

It's the standard offer, I think.

imbatman said:   I found a new link for the AMEX biz gold today -75k after 5k spend. That's easier. I posted it two places.

FYI this offer seems dead now.

I've held off as long as I could, hoping that some of the more attractive signup bonuses would have started to flow in like in 2012. But, I have to do my AOR early this week or cancel my not-very-useful cards that have annual fees.

Cards to cancel/try to transfer CL to new card, if needed:
- Chase United Visa
- Barclays US Airways MasterCard
- Delta AMEX

Cards to apply for:
- Discover It ($75 Amazon GC signup bonus)
- [Experian] BofA BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Visa (pay more than min monthly payment to get a $25 quarterly bonus + a $5/qtr bonus for having a BofA bank account) - would try to convert my existing no-rewards BofA Visa without a pull, but don't know if this is possible to do as part of an AOR

Cards I am undecided about getting:
- [TransUnion] Barclays Priceline Visa (no signup bonus, but 2% CB everything) - on the fence because redeeming CB/statement credits seems like a pain. May I can try to convert my existing Barclays US Air card without a pull, but don't know if this is possible as part of an AOR AND MC->Visa
- [Experian] BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa (received a branded offer) ($100 bonus with $500 spend; 3% FTF, 3% CB gas, 2% CB groceries, 1% CB everything; max $1500/quarter purchases of gas + groceries) VERSUS BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa (10,000 points for $500 spend; 0% FTF; 1.5% CB everything; redeem 1 point/1 cent for travel statement credit; redemptions start at 2,500 points = $25). The Travel Rewards card seems like a PITA for redeeming statement credit because I'm not planning to pay for flights with it.
- [Experian] American Express Blue Cash Preferred ($250 statement credit with $1,000 spend; $75 AF; 2.75% FTF; 6% CB supermarkets up to $6k purchases/year, 3% CB gas, 1% CB everything) VERSUS American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($150 statement credit for $500 spend; no AF; 2.75% FTF; 3% CB supermarkets up to $6k purchases/year, 2% CB gas/department stores, 1% CB everything). Would probably get the Preferred card and then downgrade to the regular card when next AF is due.
- Chase Air Tran (16 A+ RewardsŪ Credits for $1k spend; $69 AF) VERSUS Chase Southwest Premier
- Chase Sapphire (40k UR points for $3k spend; $95 AF waived first year; no FTF). Not a great offer, but UR points are flexible and I can convert my UR points to partner miles.
- Chase Freedom MasterCard ($100 bonus for $500 spend; no AF). I already have the Chase Freedom Visa. Would just consider this so that I can extend the average age of my accounts.
- Citi Dividend Platinum Select ($100 for $500 spend; rotating bonus CB categories)

Cards I am on the fence about keeping:
- Costco AMEX

Cards to keep:
- Chase Freedom
- FIA AMEX
- FIA Visa
- US Bank Cash+ Visa

I have no cards from Citibank or CapitalOne. I would like to get the Citi Forward card (no AF, 5% on restaurants), but it seems to only be for students now.

Thoughts about the cards I'm trying to decide between would be appreciated, as would suggestions for other cards with nice signup bonuses I may have missed. I did think about the Chase Ink cards, but I don't know if I could hit $5k spend in several months on top of these other spends (unless I also buy $2600 in the Chase no-fee gift cards and go the BB route).

AMEX BCP still a good (not great anymore) card with 6K cap. link for that $250 offer? been trying to track one down as well.
*what about the nfl card $400 bonus/$2500 spend so another TU pull instead of all the Experian.
*costco AMEX is no annual fee with costco membership so why not keep unless it hurts AAoA
*capital one venture pulled all three CB for me, so be aware

07pilot4me said:   AMEX BCP still a good (not great anymore) card with 6K cap. link for that $250 offer? been trying to track one down as well.
*what about the nfl card $400 bonus/$2500 spend so another TU pull instead of all the Experian.
*costco AMEX is no annual fee with costco membership so why not keep unless it hurts AAoA
*capital one venture pulled all three CB for me, so be aware

Thanks for your feedback. The $250 BCP was from the cc.com cardmatch feature.

Honestly, I probably would not even hit the $6k/year cap on the BCP card. I did think about the NFL card, but from everything I've read, it is a pain trying to redeem the statement credits. I still may consider it, though; I'm trying to stick with cards that have lower spend requirements because I don't spend that much regularly beyond eating out a few times/week, buying gas every couple weeks, and buying random crap online (thanks FW! lol). I live alone and very rarely go to Costco (maybe 2-4x/year) because it's not very convenient to do so. Though, I may just keep it because it would be "easy" and I like some of the food products that I have only seen at Costco.

The Hawaiian airlines cards give you 35k Hawaiian points which can be exchanged for 70k Hilton points with a $1000 spend

BobtheCFP said:   The Hawaiian airlines cards give you 35k Hawaiian points which can be exchanged for 70k Hilton points with a $1000 spend
The thing is that BofA may auto approve you for their lower (Platinum) card, which only gives 10k Hawaiian points.

I did read about users havin a "hard time" redeeming the $400, but I read others say its no problem. I think that the system they set up to redeem is not the best but in the end its $400 for $2500 spend, worth it for me imo.

Total applications approved: 4
Total amount of credit approved: $30k
# of CC applications pending: 1-2
# of CLI applications pending: 2

I delayed as long as I could, hoping that some nice signup bonuses would pop up, but it didn't happen. I ended up applying for the following cards:
- Barclays Arrival MC ($400 for $1k spend) - required a call, but was approved for $5k
- Discover It ($75 Amazon GC via Amazon) - required two calls (the first time, I got some BS from the first CSR - AFTER I cleared all of their security verification questions - that they didn't believe I was who I said I was and then hung up on me), but was approved for $7k. I did have to upload a photo of my SS card and provide detailed employment information as part of the automated form.
- AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ($250 for $1k spend) - $13k CL auto-approved
- AMEX Blue Cash Everyday AMEX ($150 after 500 spend) - I was an idiot and got excited after being approved for the BCP card, so I applied for the BCE card right after. I'm not sure if they'll just ignore it and not do a pull (the automated decision message was "Please call us at 1-800-582-6471 to be connected directly to a Customer Care Professional who will provide you with a decision")
- Chase Priority Club (80k for $1k spend) - required a call, but was approved for over $5k
- Citi Platinum Select/AA (50k for $2.5k spend in 4 months) - I called in twice - the first time, I was only told that there was some additional processing that was required but that they couldn't discuss or do it over the phone. The second time I called, I was told that I will receive a letter in the mail saying that I need to get some form from the Social Security Administration that I have to to send in to Citi so that they can approve my application.

Interestingly enough, American Express was the ONLY credit card issuer to automatically approve my application...and they approved me for my largest CL to date ($13k, which was almost the sum of my previous two largest CLs!)

I was thinking of applying for the CapOne Cash Visa, but decided to quit while I was ahead. I ended up consolidating the CLs on most of my cards with AFs coming due (they all declined to waive the AF or provide any incentive) and then cancelling those cards. I also applied for CLIs for a couple cards...though I applied after regular business hours and suspect/am worried that they will do additional hard pulls tomorrow. The last thing I did was convert a useless BofA card to their BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards Visa.

Update: I didn't receive any email, phone call, or other notification yet, but one of the accounts on which I requested a CLI to 500% of the original CL (yup, 500 percent) is requesting that new CL! The other one still shows the old CL, FWIW.

Update: I'm going to write off my application for the Citi AA card. I received their letter in the mail today: they want me to submit an SSA-89 form (letter for SSA) AND they want me to authorize them to do another hard pull. I'm fine with the former, but the latter is a waste and they would probably decline me in the context of my recent AOR. Into the shredder you go...
I also notice on my official Experian credit report that 2 days after my AOR, there is a soft pull from "AMEX ACCOUNT REVIEW". Not sure what to make of that...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014