• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Might not be the appropriate forum. If not, I'm sorry.

Storm ruined my shingle roof several months ago. Insurance adjuster has came by and I now have a check for 6500.00 for a new roof. I want to get a metal roof, which will be around another 6500 out of pocket. My question is what does a nice metal roof do to the value of a house? You guys think I'll recoup it when I sell the house within the next 4/5 years?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I expect much better advice from a roofer. I take it that you only install composite roofs?
In Texas:
1) A 30-year shingl... (more)

dcg9381 (Apr. 08, 2013 @ 12:11p) |

I've been living with a metal roof for a number of years, and it is not loud, at all. Maybe if you had absolutely no in... (more)

arch8ngel (Apr. 08, 2013 @ 12:24p) |

You ever been inside one? You must be remembering the old sheets of tin roofs. These are not like that.

saladdin (Apr. 08, 2013 @ 1:01p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$6500 seems kinda low for a roof.
Is your home modest in size?

Back on topic, i would go with a metal roof if it suits the style of your home.
The appeal (and thus value) of a metal roof isnt applicable in many situations or places.

I have a check from AllState for 6145.00. After I provide the receipt for the new roof, they'll send an additional 1000.00. That's 7145.00 from the insurance company.

The metal roof cost is approx 13,000. So I would be out of pocket 6000-6500.

Just get regular dimensional shingles. Hail or wind will get u again in 10-15 years and u can have another free roof

I cant see your home appreciating that much based on what style roof you have but I'll let the experts chime in on that one. That's the dollars and cents view.
Then there's the Dog gone'it i have always wanted a metal roof view. If it will make you happy and when its all said and done you would consider the extra outlay of money well spent then go for it. You cant put a price on driving up your driveway everytime with a smile on your face becase that roof looks so darn good to you.

microphoneman2222 said:   Might not be the appropriate forum. If not, I'm sorry.

Storm ruined my shingle roof several months ago. Insurance adjuster has came by and I now have a check for 6500.00 for a new roof. I want to get a metal roof, which will be around another 6500 out of pocket. My question is what does a nice metal roof do to the value of a house? You guys think I'll recoup it when I sell the house within the next 4/5 years?

Do any of your neighbors have a metal roof? I can see some value if you don't stick out like a sore thumb, but I wouldn't expect a 100% return on a metal roof no more than I'd expect a 100% return on a new driveway. Some things you have to bite the bullet on when it's time to replace them. Roofs, driveways, and windows are a few.

A few neighbors do. I have a white brick house. Going to put a dark green roof on it.

I guess my question could have been asked easier. Will the cost of my house go up 6500 if I put a 13000 roof on it.

The answer is: It depends.

I think it depends on area. In the high hail states (which I'm assuming you are in), it would certainly add perceived value, BUT it depends on the style of the house, the colors matching, and the curb appeal staying the same. For instance, I would LOVE an Austin stone house with a metal roof, but some of the houses I have seen with metal roofs end up looking awkward. It's give and take.

microphoneman2222 said:   A few neighbors do. I have a white brick house. Going to put a dark green roof on it.

I guess my question could have been asked easier. Will the cost of my house go up 6500 if I put a 13000 roof on it.

You're going to have to do a comp analysis against the similar houses in your hood that have metal roofs and those that dont. All things being equal (they never are), if the houses with metal roofs have a higher (~$6k) value (asking/selling price) then you have your answer.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to pull the trigger. Just wondering if it would increase the value.

My Aunt & Uncle did a replacement with a metal roof.

Plus is it has a lifetime warranty.

Minus is it makes the house look smaller.

Double post.

I searched "metal roof" and "roof" with no results before I posted this topic.

Sorry if it inconvenienced you.

What happens if lightening hits your roof?

Good question. Thousands of them around here so I guess it won't kill me. Or I hope it won't.

We have one. Just bought the house. Answer is no. Buyers don't care about the roof just the condition of it and if they'll have to replace it soon.

Don't think it's going to improve the value at all

How much is the house worth? How much is the house worth without the land it lies on?

I wouldn't put a nice roof on a house that you are going to sell in 4-5 years that the new owner will probably tear down and build a new one. Don't put a nice roof on a inexpensive house. It has to both make sence both financially and aesthetically. Good luck

it would only increase the value if a buyer is looking for it, will not increase loan value, but typically a steel roof is better in just about any area, hurricane / heavy snow/ forest fire

If you are only going to stay there for 5 more years, then my question is: why bother? You may or may not get the extra money back, but why take the risk? If you are going to stay for 20 years, then it becomes a different question, more one of is the extra expense justified in the benefits of having a metal roof.

I'll pay a premium for a well installed metal roof.

A white brick house with a dark green metal roof? Which side do you drive the golf carts into every night?

Just kidding, but I don't think you're going to get your value out of this. You might lose some if it's not the norm for your neighborhood.

How large is the roof? A $6500 differential between metal and architectural shingles seems high.

I had a metal roof installed on an Arts and Crafts cottage for $7k, all-in.

I doubt it measurably improves the value, but it massively improves the curb appeal, if done right. And if you pick lighter colors with the right finish it will improve the heat gain on your house, as well, which will make up some savings in cooling costs, depending on your location.

Up front disclosure, I never had a metal roof on a house.

That being said, if I was looking at buying a home with one I would be concerned about noise it might make during hail and maybe even large rain storms. Not saying I wouldn't buy the place, just that I would ask some questions and my first instinct would not be to pay a premium.

I think a metal roof could dent from a hail storm. Granted the roof wouldn't leak just have dimples. On a car such issues really hurt the resale value. I think a house would take a similar hit in value. Whether an insurer, or roofing warranty, would replace a dented but fully functional roof is another question I would ask before buying such a house.

I think most buyers don't know/care the difference. As an owner, I would go for metal because it would last much much longer than shingles. So the question is how long will you stay in that house?

If you are in a wildfire prone area, a standing seam or metal roof might be better.

What will increase the "perceived" value might be the fact that you get 50 years out of a metal roof before it needs replacing - much, much longer than the life of a "regular" roof. My parents bought a house a couple years ago and that was a big plus in their eyes because they're elderly and the roof was just recently replaced. So they will never have to deal with replacing that roof.

One thing I will tell you - a metal roof is most definitely noisier than a regular roof when it rains or hails. Not a deal-killer, but it is very noticable.

Will it lower your insurance rates any?

I never had a metal roof, but I have told they are very loud when it rains and hails...

From my experience, the noise is really not an issue.

Is impact resistant roof an option to look at. Will take care of the noise and provide protection againt hail

can you get cell phone reception inside a house with a metal roof?

Can the CIA read my thoughts through a metal roof?

Kandykornhead said:   Can the CIA read my thoughts through a metal roof?If the wall is stucco with embedded wire mesh then it effectively becomes a Faraday cage which blocks thought reading technologies and ... cell phones.

microphoneman2222 said:   Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to pull the trigger. Just wondering if it would increase the value.

Personally, everything else being equal, I'd pay more for a metal roof home.
You're talking about paying $6k more - so the increase really isnt appreciable.

What type of metal roof are you putting up? Something crimp-on and not drilled-in... Done right, the metal roof will last forever and will reflect more heat than shingle... I'd go with the lightest color possible as long as it will work with your other aesthetics.

Where we live, we would definitely pay more. It'll last forever and take the beating we get. It would be a huge asset to us-just like generators/ panels or a double garage or buried wires are when we're looking. But of course the catch is the where we live part. It would be to us. To someone who lives somewhere else, not so much.

When I was a kid, a metal roof was what you would find on an outdoor outhouse, the ones with all the flies.

I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one!

steve1jr said:   When I was a kid, a metal roof was what you would find on an outdoor outhouse, the ones with all the flies.

I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one!

Time to do some reading on the advantages of metal roofs..

In some areas, yes. In others, not so much.

An example - my great-aunt and -uncle live way out in the boonies in West/Central Texas (nearest city Abilene). They put in a metal roof and their electricity usage dropped dramatically in summer, since the roof (which is light gray) doesn't absorb a lot of heat. This is all word-of-mouth, btw. So in that area where utility costs are a significant factor in cost of ownership, a roof like theirs could add to the value of the home. I believe theirs also came with a lifetime warranty that stays with the house.

Skipping 24 Messages...
cristinaaaron said:   It's not going to increase the value....it might decrease it since many people will refuse to live in a house with a metal roof (it sounds like you live inside of a drumset when it rains or hails). I'd consider a metal roof for an equiment shed, but not a building I intended to ever sleep inside.

You ever been inside one? You must be remembering the old sheets of tin roofs. These are not like that.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014