• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
A light colored roof, particularly a silver one would reflect heat better. There may be some tax credits or utilty company credits for that.

A large segment of buyers view metal roofs unfavorably.

It will not add value. You would be better off with shingles.

microphoneman2222 said:   A few neighbors do. I have a white brick house. Going to put a dark green roof on it.

I guess my question could have been asked easier. Will the cost of my house go up 6500 if I put a 13000 roof on it.

Great question (at least I think so... because I went through the same thing a year ago)!

As always, it depends on your exact situation, but with me it was a solid NO. Reasons:

1. Most people shopping for my house didn't place too much extra value on the metal roof.

2. Some people actually didn't like the house as much because of the metal roof.

From a personal standpoint, the insurance discount I was going to get with a metal roof was small compared to the extra cost for me to go from shingle to metal... and the "nicer" look wasn't worth that much extra cost to me.

wateristasty said:   I'll pay a premium for a well installed metal roof.

P.T. was right!!

Get a slate roof. It will last more than 150 years, require minimum maintenance, is easy to repair if a tree falls on it or something. It also looks BEAUTIFUL. Some people are willing to pay a premium for slate roofs, particularly in neighborhoods that have older houses.

Downside - not all roofers known how to work with slate, you'll have to find someone who specializes in it.

Tin Roof... Rusted!

Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

Curb appeal is the major factor here. I have a 2600 sq ft white brick house with a green shingle roof. Looks good to me, but would look great IMO with a darker green roof. Metal roofs are becoming popular here (Arkansas). As far as noise, he's leaving the shingle roof on so I'm not worried about sound. Wouldn't bother me anyway. Nothing quite as sweet as rain hitting a roof to me.

How about metal shingles?
http://www.decra.com/
http://www.custombiltmetals.com/products-shingles-vail-select.php
...and so on.

You seem to have decided the ascetics part (IMO, there are only a few styles home that it fits), I'd question if it was going to increase the insulation (R-factor). I've lived in a few country homes that had metal roofs, the older ones were loud inside/out but the newer roofs used tar-impregnated homosote boards (between the roof sheathing & the roof) and the noise was only outside ... styrofoam instead (of the cheap, homosote filler) would give additional insulation.

I'd caution about the slate, many roofs (often the truss-built) can't handle the weight of slate (even the man-made kind is heavy).

microphoneman2222 said:   Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to pull the trigger. Just wondering if it would increase the value.

Nope. Everyone here, and I mean everyone, is doing this in my location because it is easier to install and cheaper then shingles. That sounds really high. You priced other places?

Some of the metal roofs can be bought with a sort of coating to keep it cooler by reflecting rays.

This reminds me of the days not long ago when you could buy a house, scrap the roof, put on a brand new roof, and flip the house.

microphoneman2222 said:   Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

Curb appeal is the major factor here. I have a 2600 sq ft white brick house with a green shingle roof. Looks good to me, but would look great IMO with a darker green roof. Metal roofs are becoming popular here (Arkansas). As far as noise, he's leaving the shingle roof on so I'm not worried about sound. Wouldn't bother me anyway. Nothing quite as sweet as rain hitting a roof to me.

Our states border each other. These roofs are everywhere here. They all leave the shingles on and just run the boards over the shingles and put the metal roof over it. I commute 100 miles a day and see a lot of construction with these roofs, especially after storms where roofs are damaged. They will be as common as shingled roofs and no resale benefit will be had. As I said before, I think you are way over paying, no way that price is right.

tedteddy said:   A large segment of buyers view metal roofs unfavorably.

It will not add value. You would be better off with shingles.

A large segment of uneducated buyers view metal roofs unfavorably... (Fixed)

Seriously, what is this segment of which you speak?

And yes, a metal roof may have energy credits - if appropriately coated.

My house was built in 1910. Still has the original rolled tin metal roof, and its not showing signs of needing replaced any time soon. Spent $300 on renting a cherry picker and 5 gallons of valspar metal roof paint last year to spruce it up.

Big problem I had was a lot of home owners insurance companies would not insure me because the roof wasn't less than 20 years old. But I'm not putting a new roof on a how just because.

This may or may not help you - but I looked at my last appraisal - and there's all kinds of places for offsets - for pools, square feet, functional utility, energy efficient items - but nothing for the roof.

To me, it seems like something that may get your house to sell at full price, but not add specific utility to your sales price when an appraiser looks at it.

Thatsnotme said:   Where we live, we would definitely pay more. It'll last forever and take the beating we get. It would be a huge asset to us-just like generators/ panels or a double garage or buried wires are when we're looking. But of course the catch is the where we live part. It would be to us. To someone who lives somewhere else, not so much.

Not to go off topic, but why do people prefer a double garage? In our neighborhood they are about 1/3 made that way. They don't seem to be a wider, but I've never measured. Im just afraid someone would run into the center.

As a roofer I would strongly discourage you from a metal roof. The only purpose of these currogated roofs are for aesthetics and any 30 year shingle will suffice.

microphoneman2222 said:   Wouldn't bother me anyway. Nothing quite as sweet as rain hitting a roof to me.

Not when the metal changes the sound of what falling rain sounds like to ping ping ping ping! I put a metal deck (lastdeck.com) up over a concrete patio from the walkout from my basement. My home office is in the basement and it's noticeably louder when I'm sitting in there listening to the rain than a regular roof. It doesn't bother me, but to each his own.

... peaceful sleep when it rains with a metal roof .....

I'd have to get over the psychological first. Grew up poor, in a dump of a house that had the original tin roofs. Everytime I see one of these roofs I get a little sick in the stomache.

It's not going to increase the value....it might decrease it since many people will refuse to live in a house with a metal roof (it sounds like you live inside of a drumset when it rains or hails). I'd consider a metal roof for an equiment shed, but not a building I intended to ever sleep inside.

elthrifto said:   As a roofer I would strongly discourage you from a metal roof. The only purpose of these currogated roofs are for aesthetics and any 30 year shingle will suffice.

I expect much better advice from a roofer. I take it that you only install composite roofs?
In Texas:
1) A 30-year shingle roof won't make it 30 years. Most won't make it 20 years. We have far too much hail. A metal roof should be a "lifetime" roof.
2) A metal roof has much better reflectivity. Compare this to the reflectivity of a dark composite roof, even one with a radiant barrier. The metal roof will help with energy costs.

cristinaaaron said:   It's not going to increase the value....it might decrease it since many people will refuse to live in a house with a metal roof (it sounds like you live inside of a drumset when it rains or hails). I'd consider a metal roof for an equiment shed, but not a building I intended to ever sleep inside.

I've been living with a metal roof for a number of years, and it is not loud, at all. Maybe if you had absolutely no insulation in your attic, but in a normal house, it is nowhere near the sound level some of these posts would suggest.

cristinaaaron said:   It's not going to increase the value....it might decrease it since many people will refuse to live in a house with a metal roof (it sounds like you live inside of a drumset when it rains or hails). I'd consider a metal roof for an equiment shed, but not a building I intended to ever sleep inside.

You ever been inside one? You must be remembering the old sheets of tin roofs. These are not like that.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014