• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Long story short: Price verbally agreed upon with sales guy for let's say $21,000. His manager approves it, finance office handles paperwork. We are paying cash (check+credit card) for the car. He takes a check for $18000 and was supposed to charge credit card for remainder. He charged it for $2,000. $20k total.
Everything signed, out the door, registration docs on the way in mail.

Bill of sale says purchase price = $21,000

Do we owe the car lot $1,000, or did their back office guy unknowingly sell the car for less than the agreed price?

Should we expect a phone call, or will they likely never notice/tie the discrepancy to this particular purchase?

One more twist: Carfax stated a front impact fender bender. we got car home and discovered a bent trunk lid indicating a rear collision. If they call us up demanding another $1k is owed to them since we have a contract, can we say "since the contract isn't settled, we will just return the car for our partial (20k/21k) payment back due to undisclosed/misled damage.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The verbal agreement and the bill of sale both indicate the price was $21000

They simply charged your cc the wrong amount. Yes they will likely ask you to pay the remaining $1000, and yes you can request they change it to $20,000 because of the Damage

But if all the docs indicate $21000 you have no "right" to return it, you can request to return it and see if they're willing to negotiate

Question is whether they decide to charge the card for the remaining $1000. And yes as SIS said, you can request it be changed (or alternatively ask them to replace/fix the trunk).
You do have a contract, and have a balance owing. Now if the docs say "Balance: $0" then you may be ok but otherwise I'd expect a call when they're doing their month-end internal audit/reconciliation, if not sooner.

Isn't carfax liable for the unreported damage, not that I think that they will pay anything but I thought they had some guarantee. Also check if your state has a cooling off period for a sale and a right to recind. Use this as leverage to get the contract changed - I am pretty sure they will find the $1000.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014