• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://banking.citibank.com/cbol/13/checking/q1/consumer/versio...

Start your Citibank checking relationship today.
Open an eligible account package and earn ThankYou®
Points that are redeemable for up to $400 in gift cards*

Here’s how it works:
1.Open a new Citibank checking account in The Citigold®, Citibank® or Basic Banking® Account Package by 4/30/13.
2.Within 45 days after account opening, enroll the new checking account in Citi ThankYou® Rewards AND
3.Complete one direct deposit AND complete one qualifying bill payment for two consecutive months.*

The Citigold® Account Package
You can earn 40,000 ThankYou® Points, redeemable for up to $400 in gift cards

The Citibank® Account Package
You can earn 20,000 ThankYou® Points, redeemable for up to $200 in gift cards.

Basic Banking Package
You can earn 10,000 ThankYou® Points redeemable for up to $100 in gift cards.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
any idea if this is back guys?

speedway121 (Jan. 07, 2014 @ 12:27p) |

2014 any new promotions?

speedway121 (Jan. 07, 2014 @ 12:27p) |

I still haven't gotten my remaining bonus points from the last one...

jaytrader (Jan. 07, 2014 @ 5:33p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Important Tax Information: Enrollment in Citi ThankYou Rewards and this offer limited to customers who are either citizens or resident aliens of the United States (U.S.) with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. The value of rewards from redeemed Points may be reported to the IRS as miscellaneous income on Form 1099-MISC in the year redeemed, if the value of the rewards plus other taxable miscellaneous income awards received from Citibank, N.A., is in the aggregate $600 or greater for a calendar year, as required by applicable law. Customer is responsible for any applicable taxes.

Citigold Account Package - Monthly service fee is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $50,000 in deposits and retirement balances OR $100,000 in combined average monthly balances in deposits, retirement, investments, credit cards, and loans/lines of credit excluding first mortgage, otherwise a $30.00 monthly service fee is applied. Ask for details.

Citibank Account Package - Monthly service fee is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $15,000 in eligible linked products otherwise a monthly service fee of $20.00 is applied. Eligible linked products are linked deposits, loans, mortgages, credit cards, retirement and investment accounts. Ask for details.

Basic Banking Package - Monthly service fee is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $1,500 in either your Basic checking or your linked Basic Savings Account OR if you make 1 Direct Deposit AND 1 Bill Payment each monthly statement period otherwise a $10.00 monthly service fee is applied. Ask for details.

Summary: Ware the 1099.

"Offer for new checking customers only. If you have received a bonus reward for opening a new Citibank consumer checking account within the past two years you will not be eligible to receive a bonus associated with this offer."

Interesting that they added this....used to be one and done unless you got a targeted offer.

Does paypal count as direct deposit?

Just to clarify, TY point's tax value is based on how you redeem it. So if you redeem for $400 in giftcards, you shouldn't get a 1099-MISC. If you reddem for $600 in airfare, you will get a 1099-MISC.

dealmaster00 said:   

Citigold Account Package - Monthly service fee is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $50,000 in deposits and retirement balances OR $100,000 in combined average monthly balances in deposits, retirement, investments, credit cards, and loans/lines of credit excluding first mortgage, otherwise a $30.00 monthly service fee is applied. Ask for details.

So, you are $60 out in fees, unless you plan to park $50K in that account.

tedteddy said:   Does paypal count as direct deposit?

I'm also interested if anybody knows whether ACH push from ING, PayPal, or others will count as direct deposit.

txrandom said:   Just to clarify, TY point's tax value is based on how you redeem it. So if you redeem for $400 in giftcards, you shouldn't get a 1099-MISC. If you reddem for $600 in airfare, you will get a 1099-MISC.
What's the rationale for that?

aleck said:   dealmaster00 said:   

So, you are $60 out in fees, unless you plan to park $50K in that account.

There are several threads on this ongoing offer but probably archived...Experience is that won't get the points for a good 200 days from opening. Typically, the first 2 months, they waive the fees (some have noted longer).

I did the 20k offer last year and had 1 real direct deposit and had to remind them to get my points, which they did after one compliant.

I also rec. the additional thank you points (think it was good for close to 10 dollars a month in TY points) with a savings account, DD (ACH push from USAA).

I did not get an overvalued 1099. I actually did not rec. one yet. I ordered up gift cards.

gloreglabert said:   txrandom said:   Just to clarify, TY point's tax value is based on how you redeem it. So if you redeem for $400 in giftcards, you shouldn't get a 1099-MISC. If you reddem for $600 in airfare, you will get a 1099-MISC.

That's what I've pieced together from reading some other threads and forums.

Be aware that most $50 gift cards cost you 6500 points. So you would not get $400 in gift cards. I call Thankyou network and ask them why and was told that bank points and cc points are on different scales.

I sign up for a Citigold checking and a saving account. I earn extra 1300 points each month for one on-line payment (electic bill), a direct deposit ($50), auto save from checking ($10) to saving. I am lucky that my work allow me to set up to 3 direct deposits.

Do you have yuor banking and credit linked on the same THank You Account? I only have one redemption option and its the more favorable one.

looking4deal said:   Be aware that most $50 gift cards cost you 6500 points. So you would not get $400 in gift cards. I call Thankyou network and ask them why and was told that bank points and cc points are on different scales.

I sign up for a Citigold checking and a saving account. I earn extra 1300 points each month for one on-line payment (electic bill), a direct deposit ($50), auto save from checking ($10) to saving. I am lucky that my work allow me to set up to 3 direct deposits.

All of my accounts were combined under 1 ty account and had no trouble get the 1:1 redemption on 100 dollar gift cards.

What do they consider a direct deposit?

2 years ago, ACH from another institution worked. You'll have to just find out for yourself.

txrandom said:   gloreglabert said:   txrandom said:   Just to clarify, TY point's tax value is based on how you redeem it. So if you redeem for $400 in giftcards, you shouldn't get a 1099-MISC. If you reddem for $600 in airfare, you will get a 1099-MISC.

That's what I've pieced together from reading some other threads and forums.

I don't think you pieced it together correctly. You may not even redeem your TY points by the end of the fiscal year but that doesn't mean that Citi will not issue 1099-MISC. Generally it's issued on their valuation of the bonus, not on what you redeem for.

Paypal for any amount is currently working fine for me for the monthly thank you points. I also got a bonus for this same promotion last year without a real DD. I'm not sure what triggered it b/c I did multiple banks etc., but I'm betting Paypal works b/c its the only thing I've been "depositing" each month.

How long do you have to keep the account open? Could I do 2 bill payments in 31 days, pay a couple $30 maintenance fees, then close the account and pocket 400 Thank You points?

swandown said:   How long do you have to keep the account open? Could I do 2 bill payments in 31 days, pay a couple $30 maintenance fees, then close the account and pocket 400 Thank You points?

From the link above:

New checking account in The Citigold, Citibank Account or Basic Banking Package must be open and in good standing at the time the bonus ThankYou Points are posted to your ThankYou Member Account

Furthermore:

ThankYou Points will be credited to your ThankYou Member Account within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you satisfy all offer requirements.

So it may take a few more $30 fees, but I think its still a good deal.

Are thankyou points transferrable to points in your credit card?

I did a similar deal to this for Citigold but it was 30,000 points only. Not a great deal for having to sit $50,000 for a while. Although, the account did give some monthly Thank You points.

I am trying to make sure that I can close the account at this point without them taking back the points. The rep said that there was nothing in the offer that mentioned anything about losing the points. So, I think that I am ok but she said to double check with the branch at which I opened the account.

You absolutely MUST withdraw the points before you close the account, do anything different and kiss them goodbye!

Does anyone know if i fund the account with a CC will i get hit with a cash advance fee?

If you TRY to fund your account with your credit card, there is a good chance they'll do a cash advance even if they say they won't. What you should do is get the cash advance limit lowered to as little as possible, then charge above that limit. If the charge is denied, then obviously it was going to go through as a cash advance. I think some credit card companies aren't wanting to disable this feature because I had asked Chase to lower the limit and they did a few years ago but when I checked again, I saw that the limit had been restored. I ask them to lower it but they refused but I repeatedly pointed out that I had lowered it previously and they finally relented and decided to lower that cash advance limit. Anyway having that low limit has saved me several times. Don't attempt to fund the account with a CC unless you're certain a cash advance can't go through either due to insufficient limit or because it's disabled.

How long until the points show up? I've finished the requirements a month ago but still no points.

They currently have a variation of this on their homepage, 10k TYP for basic banking w/ 1 direct deposit and 1 bill payment (same as what avoids monthly fee for that account) and 10k extra TYPs for doing either a Popmoney, logging onto Citi Mobile or tablet app or signing up for paperless statements.

For those that signed up for previous offer, what bank's ACH deposits are qualifying as direct deposit for Citibank?

avalon6 said:   How long until the points show up? I've finished the requirements a month ago but still no points.
It's 90 days after all requirements are met.

I'm still waiting for my points. It's been 3 months since I opened acct.

goku2 said:   If you TRY to fund your account with your credit card, there is a good chance they'll do a cash advance even if they say they won't. What you should do is get the cash advance limit lowered to as little as possible, then charge above that limit. If the charge is denied, then obviously it was going to go through as a cash advance. I think some credit card companies aren't wanting to disable this feature because I had asked Chase to lower the limit and they did a few years ago but when I checked again, I saw that the limit had been restored. I ask them to lower it but they refused but I repeatedly pointed out that I had lowered it previously and they finally relented and decided to lower that cash advance limit. Anyway having that low limit has saved me several times. Don't attempt to fund the account with a CC unless you're certain a cash advance can't go through either due to insufficient limit or because it's disabled.

The only case where I have seen this does not work is reloading Visa Buxx cards with Chase. The initial load transaction lowers your CA limit, but later clears as a purchase. One time when I zero'd out my cash advance limit on one card, I couldn't get the loads to work again on that card.

luiset83 said:   They currently have a variation of this on their homepage, 10k TYP for basic banking w/ 1 direct deposit and 1 bill payment (same as what avoids monthly fee for that account) and 10k extra TYPs for doing either a Popmoney, logging onto Citi Mobile or tablet app or signing up for paperless statements.

For those that signed up for previous offer, what bank's ACH deposits are qualifying as direct deposit for Citibank?

I did both Alliant Credit Union and Pop Money so one of those was qualified since I received the bonus. I am thinking Alliant did it, but I can't say for sure. I did both just to have better odds of having one of them work.

Original Post Title said: $400 gift cards/40K Thankyou points New accounts Citibank Gold accounts Ends Apr 31

This must still be ongoing since there are only 30 days in April.

Link bring to a 30k offer for the account, but with 10k more for stuff like using their mobile app, estatements, etc. Still on.

Any idea if it's possible to cc fund in branch, and the limit?

txrandom said:   Just to clarify, TY point's tax value is based on how you redeem it. So if you redeem for $400 in giftcards, you shouldn't get a 1099-MISC. If you reddem for $600 in airfare, you will get a 1099-MISC.

What if you redeem for $400 mortgage check?

I also received a targeted offer for 30,000 AAdvantage Miles. Which is the better deal in FWF's opinion? Does Citi give 1099s for FF mile bonuses?

IIRC, how you redeem (or wait to redeem) the TYPs will not stop CITI from sending out a 1099 for new checking account point promotions in the calendar year

Does anyone have a screenshot of this promo? I opened mine in branch and now they're saying the promo was never on my account. I need to send in a screenshot of it. Thanks a lot in advance!

My 40k TY points just posted. I opened an account back in late March.

avalon6 said:   My 40k TY points just posted. I opened an account back in late March.

When did you finish the requirements? Were you able to do any DD or bill pay in March?

avalon6 said:   My 40k TY points just posted. I opened an account back in late March.

When did you finish the requirements? Were you able to do any DD or bill pay in March?

Skipping 17 Messages...
I still haven't gotten my remaining bonus points from the last one...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014