• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I want to know if anyone in the last several years either upon signup or anniversary renewal tried to make a single purchase that exceeds the $6500 threshold and if they earned the extra CashBack on the entire amount (example $7000 first purchase earning $70 in general category or $350 in the bonus grocery/Drugstore category) or just the amount over the $6500?

Reason I ask is if I'm not mistaken, someone had reported a while back spending over $15,000 in one shot on the Fidelity Visa (1.5% then 2%) and they earned the 2% on the entire amount from the start, thus bypassing the reduced CashBack payout on the initial $15,000 in spending.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
mine said something about changing credit report pulling terms.

makinbutter (Apr. 24, 2013 @ 2:05p) |

Same here

MkMooney (Apr. 24, 2013 @ 10:32p) |

I checked my April statement and after the credit report info were additional notices about the Cash Back on prepaid car... (more)

hirenrp (May. 09, 2013 @ 9:53a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I don't think so. The extra Cash Back kicks in the billing cycles AFTER you go over the $6,500

So if you spend $15,000 in one month, you may just get the 0.025% CB on the 15k. The month after, will trigger bonus Cash Back. I seem to recall this is one of the drawbacks with the card that I found out. I still have the card but don't use it anymore once they lowered the pre-bonus CB.

CPAESQ said:   I don't think so. The extra Cash Back kicks in the billing cycles AFTER you go over the $6,500

Ouch, really? I've got some bad news coming if that is true, I'm going to come up several hundred dollars short in my rebate.

steve1jr said:   CPAESQ said:   I don't think so. The extra Cash Back kicks in the billing cycles AFTER you go over the $6,500

Ouch, really? I've got some bad news coming if that is true, I'm going to come up several hundred dollars short in my rebate.

this would be exceptional info to know if true. please report back.

CPAESQ said:   I don't think so. The extra Cash Back kicks in the billing cycles AFTER you go over the $6,500

So if you spend $15,000 in one month, you may just get the 0.025% CB on the 15k. The month after, will trigger bonus Cash Back. I seem to recall this is one of the drawbacks with the card that I found out. I still have the card but don't use it anymore once they lowered the pre-bonus CB.

This is NOT true. I spent 18k on it and the first $6500 in purchases were at the lower tier, the remainder was at the higher tiers in the same billing cycle.

Not true. I was told by several AMEX reps that the 5% kicks in at 6500.01 as soon as you hit it. If you hit the $6500.00 on the 20th of the month, and your cycle ends on the 1st, you would only start earning 5% on the transactions occurred on the 21st and after.

Reassuring posts, I'll be sure to post an update when my next statement arrives.

In previous years, once I have crossed the $6500 threshold (even if mid-cycle), the 5% kicks in. It is clearly reflected on your statement (i.e. they list both tiers on your statement and show you which fell into which depending on the purchases. Gas at 1.0%, Gas at 5.0%, etc.)

Anyone tried having only the $6,500+ purchase on that first statement or renewal? My thinking is it might be included in the $6,500.01+ level if there's no other purchases to be divided between the 2 levels.

CPAESQ said:   
So if you spend $15,000 in one month
OP is thinking of spending over $6500 in a single purchase. It is still unknown what would happen.

CPAESQ said:   
So if you spend $15,000 in one month
OP is thinking of spending over $6500 in a single purchase. It is still unknown what would happen.

I've gotta think that someone who is doing a sale for more than $6500 would be willing to ring it up twice...once for $6500, once for the remainder.

So if you spend $15,000 in one month, you may just get the 0.025% CB on the 15k. The month after, will trigger bonus Cash Back.

Not in my experience over the last 4 years. I set up my anniversary date to come just before I make a large expenditure >$6500 each November. I've always received 5%/1% in the SAME billing cycle for any amounts over the ceiling.

I LOVE this card. 5% on groceries, drugstores, and fuel without ANY ceiling for virtually the whole year?????? Thank you, AMEX........

Any new data points? My anniversary will be in May and I want to know if I should make a single $6501+ at a grocery store because it would suck if I only get 1%.

I'm getting a little nervous as I hit the $6500 threshold in the middle of last statement period. But purchases after that at drugstores did NOT get the 5% Cash Back. The website states that I am at the 5% level though.

Are you sure you aren't looking too early? My rebates seem to be running two statements behind my expenditures.

steve1jr said:   Are you sure you aren't looking too early? My rebates seem to be running two statements behind my expenditures.

I was just going to post this. I believe everyone's rewards are always one statement-cycle behind.

CorradoJr said:   steve1jr said:   Are you sure you aren't looking too early? My rebates seem to be running two statements behind my expenditures.

I was just going to post this. I believe everyone's rewards are always one statement-cycle behind.

I find that mine shows up after the payment goes through. That is, the rewards earned in the March cycle will post after I make the payment for that cycle.

sayhey said:   I set up my anniversary date to come just before I make a large expenditure >$6500 each November.
Did you intentionally apply for the card in October/November, or do they let you move your anniversary date? I have the old $6500 threshold card too, but my anniversary is in mid-July, and I find it highly inconvenient.

Bump! Need to find out soon...

steve1jr said:   Are you sure you aren't looking too early? My rebates seem to be running two statements behind my expenditures.

You were right, I got the CashBack on the next statement. Thanks!

so they capp the rewards now? http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/2012/rumors-true-amex-blue-cash-c...

so this may apply to BCP or BCE

I have the older blue cash

hebron1427 said:   steve1jr said:   CPAESQ said:   I don't think so. The extra Cash Back kicks in the billing cycles AFTER you go over the $6,500

OK, statement was cut.
Items of note - rewards were issued for month where cutover to 6500 spend occurred. 1% on the initial expenses, 5% once I broke that barrier. So yes, received all rewards I expected.
Statement closed early April includes rewards for spending in February, so lag time is considerable.
Also my rewards balance doesn't actually reflect what was in the statement yet..based on what I've seen in the thread I expect it to show up in a few days.

steve1jr said:   hebron1427 said:   steve1jr said:   CPAESQ said:   I don't think so. The extra Cash Back kicks in the billing cycles AFTER you go over the $6,500

OK, statement was cut.
Items of note - rewards were issued for month where cutover to 6500 spend occurred. 1% on the initial expenses, 5% once I broke that barrier. So yes, received all rewards I expected.
Statement closed early April includes rewards for spending in February, so lag time is considerable.
Also my rewards balance doesn't actually reflect what was in the statement yet..based on what I've seen in the thread I expect it to show up in a few days.

Regarding rewards balance - the paper statement (or PDF) is always a month behind. Online balance shown on the right hand side is always 2-4 days behind.

I think I came up with a plan. What if I spend $6500 in the general category and after a day another $6500 in groceries? When the statement comes out I would get 0.5% in the general and 5% for the grocery.
The next month, I return the $6500 in general, which would subtract from the rewards either 0.5% or 1% (not sure which), but the 5% should remain and any purchases going forward will also earn 5% since I'm over the threshold.

You wouldn't get the rewards when the statement came out, there is a long lag time (possibly in place to prevent stuff like this).

So I wait 2 or even 3 months if necessary, before returning.

FYI - I had ~$20K in purchases during the first month after my renewal date, including $15K in purchases at a qualified pharmacy. AMEX applied $6.5K in Pharmacy purchases to my spending threshold, even though I made several "everywhere else" purchases before visiting the bean store.

Did anyone get a notice for changes in T&C? I forget what it said, can anyone post the notice/summarize/show me how to dig it up in the website?

hirenrp said:   Did anyone get a notice for changes in T&C? I forget what it said, can anyone post the notice/summarize/show me how to dig it up in the website?

Check your online statements. One of them will have the "Important Information About Your Rewards Program."

If not, visit AmericanExpress.com/rewards-info

mine said something about changing credit report pulling terms.

hebron1427 said:   mine said something about changing credit report pulling terms.

Same here

I checked my April statement and after the credit report info were additional notices about the Cash Back on prepaid cards & cash equivalents...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014