• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
StartByServingOthers said:   I bought a 04 cavalier a year ago with 60,000 miles for ~$2500. (5 Speed) It had paint issues with mismatched tires, and the person was moving. so far I've been lucky and haven't had any timing chain issues.

2004 ecotec doesn't have timing chain issues.
Earlier ones, the issue is mainly with gentle drivers who never get enough engine speed for maximum oil pressure.

bigdinkel said:   but I would pay the twice the amount for a brand new car
And you will. 25% of the value is gone when you drive it off the lot. I like to find cars 2-3 years old with low miles. Let someone else take the new car hit.

vipercon said:   bigdinkel said:   but I would pay the twice the amount for a brand new car
And you will. 25% of the value is gone when you drive it off the lot. I like to find cars 2-3 years old with low miles. Let someone else take the new car hit.


It's a fallacy to assume that deals will always be better on used cars.
I bought my new 2008 car for $18k when the used 2005 models were selling for $15500.

14% increase in price for a car 3 years newer, and probably 30-40k less miles on the clock? Worth it.

scubasteve said:   vipercon said:   bigdinkel said:   but I would pay the twice the amount for a brand new car
And you will. 25% of the value is gone when you drive it off the lot. I like to find cars 2-3 years old with low miles. Let someone else take the new car hit.


It's a fallacy to assume that deals will always be better on used cars.
I bought my new 2008 car for $18k when the used 2005 models were selling for $15500.

14% increase in price for a car 3 years newer, and probably 30-40k less miles on the clock? Worth it.



Are you comparing a well negotiated new car purchase to a we finance anyone craigslist used car advertised price Or do you actually know someone who bought the vehicle for 15,500 within 30-60 days of your purchase?

It's a fairly well established rule that driving the car off the lot causes a roughly 25% depreciation in value. I would say the guy buying the 2005 model got royally screwed more so than you got a good deal.

alexkram said:   Those Tacomas are really good trucks. I have a '98 with $184k and it NEVER breaks down. Oil, gas, tires, filters is all it's needed. I abuse it off-roading and towing too. I have the 2.7L 4 cylinder.

You should sell the Tacoma, get a Crown Vic, and put the remaining ~$180K into retirement accounts.

:p

panmet69 said:    I would say the guy buying the 2005 model got royally screwed more so than you got a good deal.
Yea, definitely a fluke...

panmet69 said:   scubasteve said:   vipercon said:   bigdinkel said:   but I would pay the twice the amount for a brand new car
And you will. 25% of the value is gone when you drive it off the lot. I like to find cars 2-3 years old with low miles. Let someone else take the new car hit.


It's a fallacy to assume that deals will always be better on used cars.
I bought my new 2008 car for $18k when the used 2005 models were selling for $15500.

14% increase in price for a car 3 years newer, and probably 30-40k less miles on the clock? Worth it.



Are you comparing a well negotiated new car purchase to a we finance anyone craigslist used car advertised price Or do you actually know someone who bought the vehicle for 15,500 within 30-60 days of your purchase?

It's a fairly well established rule that driving the car off the lot causes a roughly 25% depreciation in value. I would say the guy buying the 2005 model got royally screwed more so than you got a good deal.


1- I thought that well established rule is based off the MSRP...

and

2- It's crap. If you drive a car one mile and it drops 25% in value, you overpaid by 20-24%.

CokeSlurpee711 said:   Agree with others; keep the Durango. 10K for a decade + old pickup. LOL. I have a bridge to sell you. Was it owned by Justin Timberlake or something?
Yes, but it was actually Justan Tamberlake, DDS.

RealEstateMatt said:   

P.S. I would never get a pickup truck...too many friends would ask to borrow it to move, or even worse; ask me to help them move.


That's so true. I remember me and a few friends was car shopping. I picked up a SUV first, then all my friend purchased sedans because they said since I have a SUV, they will borrow my car when they go to IKEA or haul big stuff.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014