Chase sapphire preferred

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello, I'm was wondering if anyone here has the sapphire preferred card and how they like it. I was thinking of getting this card as my everyday card to use for purchases since visa is taken practically everywhere. Is the preferred worth the extra $95 a year? I don't mind paying the fee if its worth it. Thanks

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Doesn't Barclay Arrival only give you fake miles? i.e. 140,000 miles can be redeemed for $1,400. With CSP, for 140,000 p... (more)

holv (Aug. 27, 2013 @ 1:16p) |

You are correct. The sapphire preferred gives 1.07 UR for everyday purchases and 2.14 for restaurants and travel. These ... (more)

qwerty12345otron (Aug. 28, 2013 @ 6:12a) |

I applied for the Chase Sapphire as a follow-on to my Marriott app. The Marriott was immediately approved, but the Chas... (more)

ltcm (Nov. 08, 2013 @ 12:54p) |

get it with the 40000 point bonus offer with no annual fee for the first year, then cancel before the annual fee.

I like it. It has the best rewards structure for me right now, given the recent devaluation of my most frequented hotels' rewards programs.

Its great for traveling out of the country. No foreign currency fees.Customer service is good. When you call, no menus, you get to speak directly to a rep. Also, customers service is in the US, not India or Philippines, which makes it worth the money.

I like it. Probably not enough to pay for it when I hit my 12 months, since I use my work travel to hit other spend limits for bonuses. But it's my preferred spending card until then. Also very easy to redeem and you can combine points easily among Chase cards. (The Chase Freedom is my standing card.)

I just switched to the card as my "daily use card" and am very happy with it. Points are easy to earn and even easier to use. Daily benefits are good, and I like the purchase protections which are similar to some of the AMEX cards (90 day return policy, etc.)

It has a piece of metal between both sides of plastic which adds a little heft to it. Not that it means much, but I had quite a few complements when I used the card.

It is a good card if you wish to travel. The Chase Ultimate Rewards site has less expensive air fare and car rentals than you'll find on just about any other web site, and sometimes your tickets will have free upgrades to first/business class. Plus the Sapphire card gives a 7% points dividend at the end of each year, so your 1% point earnings are effectively 1.07%. I am using the Sapphire for access to Chase Ultimate Rewards and the 1.07% rewards points and 2% on restaurants. I then use the Chase Freedom for 5% rotating categories. Freedom points can be used 1:1 for Chase Ultimate Rewards.

I just got denied for this card but wanted it for all the same reasons as listed above, and would get it if I could.

Squeezer99 said:   It is a good card if you wish to travel. The Chase Ultimate Rewards site has less expensive air fare and car rentals than you'll find on just about any other web site, and sometimes your tickets will have free upgrades to first/business class. Plus the Sapphire card gives a 7% points dividend at the end of each year, so your 1% point earnings are effectively 1.07%. I am using the Sapphire for access to Chase Ultimate Rewards and the 1.07% rewards points and 2% on restaurants. I then use the Chase Freedom for 5% rotating categories. Freedom points can be used 1:1 for Chase Ultimate Rewards.

looks like you answered my question, i have a bunch of freedom points. so basically getting a csp, i can transfer freedom points to csp then use in their travel site?

07pilot4me said:   Squeezer99 said:   It is a good card if you wish to travel. The Chase Ultimate Rewards site has less expensive air fare and car rentals than you'll find on just about any other web site, and sometimes your tickets will have free upgrades to first/business class. Plus the Sapphire card gives a 7% points dividend at the end of each year, so your 1% point earnings are effectively 1.07%. I am using the Sapphire for access to Chase Ultimate Rewards and the 1.07% rewards points and 2% on restaurants. I then use the Chase Freedom for 5% rotating categories. Freedom points can be used 1:1 for Chase Ultimate Rewards.

looks like you answered my question, i have a bunch of freedom points. so basically getting a csp, i can transfer freedom points to csp then use in their travel site?

Yes. Log into Chase.com. near the top right is a link "Go to Ultimate Rewards (SM). A "Your Accounts with Ultimate Rewards" banner will load. One of the links on the banner is to combine points.

I got it for the 40,000 points. other than that it has little value for me. will probably consolidate my cl or downgrade the card to a naf card

As long as you redeem points on airfare through Chase's website (which I've found to have the same prices that I've found on Kayak), this becomes a 1.284%/2.568% (dining and travel) card, factoring in the 7% yearly bonus and the additional 20% that Chase gives on airfare redemption. Being able to transfer UR points from the Freedom card also effectively makes the Freedom 5% categories into 6% categories.

Alternatively, you could sell your points to Bruce at flighthunter. I've had several positive transactions.

Frojoe747 said:   Alternatively, you could sell your points to Bruce at flighthunter. I've had several positive transactions.

I have zero experience with selling points and miles. Can you provide a link or offer a brief overview? PM if you wish. Thanks

There may be better Sapphire deals at your branch.

With all the signup bonuses going around, I don't need a "daily spender" card right now. That function is filled by whatever card I need to meet the minimum spend requirement. Once I hit the number that card goes away and I bring out the next one. "What's your FICO score?" you may say. To which I will reply, "Don't know, don't care."

Got a application in the mail for 40,000 points after you spend 2k.

Great card! Points build up very quickly with double travel/dining rates and bonus points from Ultimate Rewards which is similar to Fat Wallet. You visit Ultimate Rewards and use the Ultimate Rewards Mall links to go to various companies and get additional bonus points. I just made a $700 purchase at Lowes and earned 4200 points in total. If this were purchased on a United card or another air mileage card it would only be 700 points.

It's the only card that I have ever been willing to pay an annual fee for keeping. It's great for travelers, especially.

Please send me PMs if you want to know the best way to use chase sapphire points

I like it. I dunno if I'll keep it when I've got to pay for it, though. For me the Freedom is a better daily spender, because I get the 10/10 bonus (if you have a Chase checking account along with a Freedom card, you get 10 points per transaction and a 10% monthly bonus of points earned in addition to the rotating categories). I typically use my AMEX for any larger purchases for the better purchase protection, so the 10 pts/transaction really adds up with small items.

JonFZ1 said:   You visit Ultimate Rewards and use the Ultimate Rewards Mall links to go to various companies and get additional bonus points. I just made a $700 purchase at Lowes and earned 4200 points in total. If this were purchased on a United card or another air mileage card it would only be 700 points.Yeah, don't forget to look at UR mall whenever you make online purchase. A lot of times you can buy gift cards and pay with those and still get points. (Lowes for one)

Is it the best card for travel and the 95$ annual fee worth it? I have other cards which give me 5%cb for air lines.

The only adv I see is transferring freedom points which can redeemed for a "possibly" higher value for booking flights. But I am not sure whether we always find the cheapest ticket on UR website...

FWFfollower said:   Is it the best card for travel and the 95$ annual fee worth it? I have other cards which give me 5%cb for air lines.

The only adv I see is transferring freedom points which can redeemed for a "possibly" higher value for booking flights. But I am not sure whether we always find the cheapest ticket on UR website...

IMO, the Chase SP isn't the greatest for regular spending, unless 2% on restaurants/travel is the best you have. Paying the fee is worth it for the ability to transfer the points to airlines/hotels. I suppose you could justify it via the 20% bonus for booking via Chase, but you're better off selling the points (though that has it's risks). You're also better off with Citi points in that case since you get 33% bonus booking via Citi with their premium cards.

FWIW, my experience is Chase's portal (and Citi's for that matter) has the same rates as Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, etc, and the airline websites. Once I found a better rate on Delta than Chase had on their portal, but I called Chase and they were able to book at the rate I had found on Delta. This only applies for flights - their rates for hotels are horrible.

My $4,400 spending on Chase Freedom nets me 22,000 points - which I transfer to CSP which is then transferred to Hyatt Gold Passport. That gets me $1,200/night category 6 hotels - so for me - totally worth it.

Ok So here is my take on this. I am planning on getting this card soon and it seems the best benefit has to do with the ability to transfer your points to miles with certain partners like southwest and United. Southwest in particular. If you do the math, one southwest mile is roughly equivalent to 1.8 cents (go on their website and simply divide their cash price by their point price). United's is usually lower (~1.2 so not that good) Since chase allows you a 1:1 points to miles conversion you effectively get the same rate if you redeem for travel at southwest. As mentioned this card allows you to transfer points from chase freedom card so in categories that earn 5 points the southwest travel conversion ratio is 9 percent (every dollar earns you 5 points in bonus categories and every point is worth 1.8 cents in southwest travel so 5 x 1.8 = 9 cents per dollar = 9 percent). So if you fly southwest regularly this card makes sense and is by far the best out there (I haven’t seen a card close to 9 percent for rotating categories). The card also gives you a 7 percent dividend on points earned. Here are the conversion rates: (in southwest miles)

Travel: net yield is 5.778 percent (Book through chase for 3 points total. [{3 x .07} + 3] x 1.8= 5.778) or 7.704 percent (chase link to Travelocity for 4 points per dollar…do same calculations)
Dining: net yield is 3.852 percent ( 2 points per dollar [{2 x .07} +2] x 1.8= 3.852)
Chase freedom categories: net yield 9 percent (see above calculation)
Signing bonus of 40,000 points: converts to $720 dollars (40,000 x 1.8 = 720)

So in conclusion if you can get at least 20,000 points per year (which is not hard with this card and the chase freedom card combined) and you fly southwest at least once per year, this is definitely worth it since 20K points converts to $360 dollars. Subtract the $95 fee and you are still left with $265 which is better than the usual Cash Back conversion of $200
Note:
*This example only applies to redemption for southwest miles but one can convert to a number of different travel programs. See chase for specifics.
*At the very least you can convert points to Cash Back (although the points lose some relative value this way).
*All calculations assume a 1.8 cent to point ratio which can vary

I too am looking for a Chase premium card so I can take advantage of travel program transfers.
I dont know if its better to go with the CSP or an INK product (5x churn makes it more useful).

Any advice?

KYBOSH said:   I too am looking for a Chase premium card so I can take advantage of travel program transfers.
I dont know if its better to go with the CSP or an INK product (5x churn makes it more useful).

Any advice?

It really depends on your lifestyle. Do you typically fly with one of there partners and if so who? Check to see what your airline's mile value is (simply divide the price required to fly from A to B by the equivalent points) How much do you pay per month in the 5x and 2x categories for the ink cards, respectively. Next how much do you spend per month in the 2x categories for the sapphire? Since they both have the same annual fee, the choice is rather simple. Whichever card gives you a better marginal percentage? The 7 percent dividend for the sapphire card isn't a huge deal (only adding .07-.21 percent extra) and the 20% off when you redeem your points for travel is not that great also depending on who you fly with (the conversion rates are usually equivalent to or better than the 20% percent discount, see previous post for details).

I'm in medical school so I can't really take advantage of all the ink's benefits but if you spend a decent amount on cable, internet, and cellphones then this card will most likely make more sense for you, especially since these categories do not typically show up. In either case it is advisable to also get the chase freedom card as well since there is no annual fee and you can transfer points between the two reward programs.

Hope this helps

Great advice.
All spending on these cards will be manufactured spend so for me its best to go with the card that has highest payout in categories that I can churn hard.
Im not familiar with the 20% point bonus/discount... Is that only available with the SP card or all premium cards?

Just the SP card but depending on which airline you plan on flying with it may be irrelevant (because it may be more advantageous to transfer points to miles as noted in the southwest example). If your airline's cent per mile ratio is better than 1.27cents/mile then the 7 percent dividend and 20 percent discount are irrelevant and you should transfer.
Note
*The 20 percent is a discount applied during redemption. This means that if a flight cost $500 you need to have 40,000 points to realize the benefit. Basically you need to have 80 percent of the cash value in points which can be hard if your not a big point accumulator. I hope this makes sense.

If this card only gives back 1.07% for everyday purchases, isn't the Barclay Arrival far superior, with 2.2% towards travel?

vGs4vbTO said:   If this card only gives back 1.07% for everyday purchases, isn't the Barclay Arrival far superior, with 2.2% towards travel?
They're different.

You've also done an apples to oranges comparison. you only get 2.2% on Barclay when redeeming for travel (otherwise it's a 1% card). You get a 25% bonus when redeeming UR for travel through Chase travel mall.
I could easily flip it around to say:
"If the barclay arrival card only gives 1% CashBack for non-travel redemptions, isn't the chase sapphire preferred card far superior, with 1.3375% towards travel?"
But what would be correct is
Chase Sapphire Preferred is 1.3375% equivalent for travel redeemed through travel mall, compared to 2.2 on barclay's arrival when redeemed for travel.

However, the value of Chase UR points is that they can be transferred to other programs. Many people out there value United or Hyatt points at more than 2 cents per point. So that 1.07 UR has a value of at least 2.14%. 
Barclay Arrival points cannot be transferred

vGs4vbTO said:   If this card only gives back 1.07% for everyday purchases, isn't the Barclay Arrival far superior, with 2.2% towards travel?

Doesn't Barclay Arrival only give you fake miles? i.e. 140,000 miles can be redeemed for $1,400. With CSP, for 140,000 points, I can book first class on Korean Air from US<->Japan/China... you can't get that with Barclay Arrival.

holv said:   

Doesn't Barclay Arrival only give you fake miles? i.e. 140,000 miles can be redeemed for $1,400. With CSP, for 140,000 points, I can book first class on Korean Air from US<->Japan/China... you can't get that with Barclay Arrival.

You are correct. The sapphire preferred gives 1.07 UR for everyday purchases and 2.14 for restaurants and travel. These UR points can be redeemed directly to pay for travel (like Barclay) or converted to airline points  and then redeemed for travel. You are completely correct that this can,much more easily be redeemed for first class travel and that theUR points are >>valuable than  the Barclay points. 

If you really want a 2% card, why not go with FIA or Priceline? Why restrict yourself to travel redemptions?

I applied for the Chase Sapphire as a follow-on to my Marriott app. The Marriott was immediately approved, but the Chase was not. Is there a Chase reconsideration number? I'd be glad to shift over some of the CL as necessary to get the sign-up bonus for this one too. Any luck doing this on the Sapphire?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014