• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello All,

My first 'serious' post on fat wallet finance...please be gentle...As my sure that everybody is aware the Affordable Care Act (Aka ObamaCare) will be fully implemented on 1-1-2014.

The question I pose is this: On the back of every prescription transfer coupon (from pharmacy to pharmacy- Walgreens to CVS etc) they are void in Mass-which has universal health care- or they are void where "all or a portion of the insurance is paid for by a government entity or plan"...Does this eliminate these coupons (ie how would you be able to tell if someone has 'a portion' paid for by a federal plan (ie tax rebates based upon the affordable care act criteria). Is this a way the big 3 (CVS Walgreens and Rite Aid) can boost their bottom line? (Sorry, no more coupons...its the law...)

Second question (to mainly the retail pharmacists or patient who use prescription copay cards) Has anyone seen a copay card that expires beyond 12-31-2013? I know the fine print states the offer can be void or changed at any time but If these cards fall the same criteria, do they all expire on 12-31-2013?...Is this one of the unintended consequences of the Affordable Care Act that will effect a lot of patients?...If this is true, would this also help the bottom line of a pharmacy (more generics, less brands)...

Third Question (to the pharmacists out these)...if these are valid things that come to pass, how would these changes effect your practice?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

sweejr said:   Hello All,

My first 'serious' post on fat wallet finance...please be gentle...As my sure that everybody is aware the Affordable Care Act (Aka ObamaCare) will be fully implemented on 1-1-2014.

The question I pose is this: On the back of every prescription transfer coupon (from pharmacy to pharmacy- Walgreens to CVS etc) they are void in Mass-which has universal health care- or they are void where "all or a portion of the insurance is paid for by a government entity or plan"...Does this eliminate these coupons (ie how would you be able to tell if someone has 'a portion' paid for by a federal plan (ie tax rebates based upon the affordable care act criteria). Is this a way the big 3 (CVS Walgreens and Rite Aid) can boost their bottom line? (Sorry, no more coupons...its the law...)

Second question (to mainly the retail pharmacists or patient who use prescription copay cards) Has anyone seen a copay card that expires beyond 12-31-2013? I know the fine print states the offer can be void or changed at any time but If these cards fall the same criteria, do they all expire on 12-31-2013?...Is this one of the unintended consequences of the Affordable Care Act that will effect a lot of patients?...If this is true, would this also help the bottom line of a pharmacy (more generics, less brands)...

Third Question (to the pharmacists out these)...if these are valid things that come to pass, how would these changes effect your practice?

Regarding your first question, this primarily applies to Medicaid, Medicare and military prescription programs. The insurance card the patient gives the pharmacist will identify the program. I'm not aware of any "tax rebates" under ACA. There is a provision for health insurance companies to make premium refunds if the company does not meet the required ratio of claims to premiums collected (i.e., pockets too much as overhead), but his would have no effect on your transfer coupons.

Hi jhburgess,

Thanks for the reply, regarding your first point you are correct that it primarily affects the plans you mentioned and also state and local funded plans (ie state employees and local govt employees funded plans are not eligible to use coupons) also apply...However if you go into one of the exchanges (who knows actually how many individuals will do so but it seems that this number keeps going up) please see this point #2 in this article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/06/24/11-fa...

2. Families making less than 133 percent of the poverty line — that’s about $29,000 for a family of four — will be covered through Medicaid. Between 133 percent and 400 percent of the poverty line — $88,000 for a family of four – families will get tax credits on a sliding scale to help pay for private insurance.

and this (on page 4) http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Collins_Te...

If you are in a health care exchange and receiving tax credits-is not part of your health care paid for by the federal government (via tax credits)? Covering families up to 88,000 with tax credits covers a lot of American families...these were the tax credits I was referring to...what I was trying to say is that since there will be no valid way to determine who is actually being covered, I believe that the possibility exists these copay cards and the transfer rx coupons will be being eliminated...that why I asked if anyone has noticed that their prescription cards expire after 1-1-2014...I'm sure that retail pharmacists look at these often-or MD offices, etc...thank again for the reply, I just want to have a healthy discussion about these topics and value any input...However, if you are a retail pharmacist you may want to take off the 1st week of january next year...I'm just saying..

sweejr said:   Hi jhburgess,

Thanks for the reply, regarding your first point you are correct that it primarily affects the plans you mentioned and also state and local funded plans (ie state employees and local govt employees funded plans are not eligible to use coupons) also apply...However if you go into one of the exchanges (who knows actually how many individuals will do so but it seems that this number keeps going up) please see this point #2 in this article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/06/24/11-fa...

2. Families making less than 133 percent of the poverty line — that’s about $29,000 for a family of four — will be covered through Medicaid. Between 133 percent and 400 percent of the poverty line — $88,000 for a family of four – families will get tax credits on a sliding scale to help pay for private insurance.

and this (on page 4) http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Collins_Te...

If you are in a health care exchange and receiving tax credits-is not part of your health care paid for by the federal government (via tax credits)? Covering families up to 88,000 with tax credits covers a lot of American families...these were the tax credits I was referring to...what I was trying to say is that since there will be no valid way to determine who is actually being covered, I believe that the possibility exists these copay cards and the transfer rx coupons will be being eliminated...that why I asked if anyone has noticed that their prescription cards expire after 1-1-2014...I'm sure that retail pharmacists look at these often-or MD offices, etc...thank again for the reply, I just want to have a healthy discussion about these topics and value any input...However, if you are a retail pharmacist you may want to take off the 1st week of january next year...I'm just saying..

You don't need a prescription for a tin foil hat.

Hi Saladdin,

thanks for the reply...Walgreens may want to adjust the tin foil hat...they were fined 7.9 million dollars for employees using transfer coupons improperly see 2nd paragraph from DOJ release:
The government investigation alleged that Walgreens had offered government health beneficiaries $25 gift cards when they transferred a prescription from another pharmacy to Walgreens. The company’s advertisements that promoted gift cards and gift checks for transferred prescriptions typically acknowledged that the offer was not valid with Medicaid, Medicare or any other government program.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/April/12-civ-505.html

per the DOJ...or any other government program...is ACA a government program?...7.9 million...that could buy a lot of tin foil hats...even a black helicopter or two...

Why not just pay in cash - especially for the $4 and $5 generics if you are on a govt plan? Also, keep in mind that many states will not be expanding medicaid, and also some of those won't be setting up an exchange. Reading the ACA it also appears the employer mandate may not apply to employers if their employees don't purchase off a state run exchange -- which will be the case in states that don't set up a state exchange.

I think any such coupons will vary by state and plan.

This is also the weasel-out phrase used by Kroger and subsidiary (Ralphs etc.) pharmacies to deny coverage credit to anyone with Federal or State insurance even if based on civil service employment, expecting it will be applied to everybody in 2014 except self-pays. Don't EVER fill prescriptions there unless with compelling reason, your customer loyalty will be tossed in the recycle bin next year.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014