• 14567 8
  • Page
  • Text Only
Glitch99 said:   Venturion said:   I await our next dance in a few years.Well...

The old guy just got promoted for outstanding credit card growth. The new guy will be promoted in 3-6 months for all the rewards savings from weeding out the abuse. The next guy lasts 12-18 months before getting fired for the massive drop in card volume. Meaning about 1.5-2 years when a new guy comes aboard and has the brilliant idea of boosting credit card volume by offering a 5% promotion.

And life goes on

Circle of life, FWF style?

rsrvoir said:   Glitch99 said:   Venturion said:   I await our next dance in a few years.Well...

The old guy just got promoted for outstanding credit card growth. The new guy will be promoted in 3-6 months for all the rewards savings from weeding out the abuse. The next guy lasts 12-18 months before getting fired for the massive drop in card volume. Meaning about 1.5-2 years when a new guy comes aboard and has the brilliant idea of boosting credit card volume by offering a 5% promotion.

And life goes on

Keep your day job.

RedCobra said:   rsrvoir said:   Glitch99 said:   Venturion said:   I await our next dance in a few years.Well...

And life goes on

Keep your day job.

Of course you keep the day job. Helps secure good CLs for the hobbies...

Question to anyone whose had a stop payment issued on their checks. Did you deposit those funds into a Citi/Citi affiliate account or was it a competitor (Wells, BoA, etc.)?

rsrvoir said:   Question to anyone whose had a stop payment issued on their checks. Did you deposit those funds into a Citi/Citi affiliate account or was it a competitor (Wells, BoA, etc.)?
I paid my BofA mortgage with it.

Someone told me that while writing bad checks is illegal and can result in arrest... if you put a stop payment on a check you are free from any criminal recourse and it becomes purely a civil matter. True?

KYBOSH said:   Someone told me that while writing bad checks is illegal and can result in arrest... if you put a stop payment on a check you are free from any criminal recourse and it becomes purely a civil matter. True?
My opinion is that mailing a check with a stop payment but representing it as a valid check the entire time, is no different than mailing a check drawn on an account with insufficient funds - both are intentionall passing a check you know is going to be returned unpaid. Alas, I'm pretty sure the law disagrees with me.

Well, all of my Citi accounts have been closed, but luckily I was able to access thankyou.com through my thankyou credentials (as opposed to signing in using my Citibank credentials, which did not work) and redeem about 190,000 points last Sunday. I just got the notice that the gift cards I ordered shipped.

And so ends the saga of Citibank, at least until I'm unblacklisted in 2-3 years. Or until I decide to sign my wife up for card(s).

bobfather said:   Well, all of my Citi accounts have been closed, but luckily I was able to access thankyou.com through my thankyou credentials (as opposed to signing in using my Citibank credentials, which did not work) and redeem about 190,000 points last Sunday. I just got the notice that the gift cards I ordered shipped.

And so ends the saga of Citibank, at least until I'm unblacklisted in 2-3 years. Or until I decide to sign my wife up for card(s).

Sounds like a big win to be able to grab those TY points. Recently I pulled just under 50k in GCs and made for a fairly thick letter. You're going to have cards glued all over those pages, lol...

Indeed. I was redeeming for mortgage checks before, but I didn't want to risk having to call into the TYP number when my Citi accounts had already been closed.

Glitch99 said:   KYBOSH said:   Someone told me that while writing bad checks is illegal and can result in arrest... if you put a stop payment on a check you are free from any criminal recourse and it becomes purely a civil matter. True?
My opinion is that mailing a check with a stop payment but representing it as a valid check the entire time, is no different than mailing a check drawn on an account with insufficient funds - both are intentionall passing a check you know is going to be returned unpaid. Alas, I'm pretty sure the law disagrees with me.

As I understand it (IANAL), the key element in establishing check fraud is the writer's intent when the check is written and sent. The check writer has to know, at the time he/she is writing the check, that the check will not clear (either because of a lack of funds or intention to stop payment). If the decision to stop payment happens after the check is sent, then it doesn't meet the requirement for check fraud.

I have talked to several people in banking regarding regulation cc (which regulates the schedule of withdrawal availability). They were shocked to hear that the depositing bank could clear a check and then take the funds back if the originating bank refuses to pay. Does anyone know of regulations controlling this side of things (ie, when originating banks have to release their hold and pay the funds)?

rsrvoir said:   I have talked to several people in banking regarding regulation cc (which regulates the schedule of withdrawal availability). They were shocked to hear that the depositing bank could clear a check and then take the funds back if the originating bank refuses to pay. Does anyone know of regulations controlling this side of things (ie, when originating banks have to release their hold and pay the funds)?
You are confusing a bank making the funds available to you, verses the the check clearing. A lot of banks will not hold the fundsfor good customers, and just trust that they will make good should a check be returned.

So is there any reliable way to confirm that a check has cleared from the paying bank (short of calling them to investigate)?

rsrvoir said:   bobfather said:   Well, all of my Citi accounts have been closed, but luckily I was able to access thankyou.com through my thankyou credentials (as opposed to signing in using my Citibank credentials, which did not work) and redeem about 190,000 points last Sunday. I just got the notice that the gift cards I ordered shipped.

Sounds like a big win to be able to grab those TY points. Recently I pulled just under 50k in GCs and made for a fairly thick letter. You're going to have cards glued all over those pages, lol...
50k in TY pts. or 5 million in TY pts?

nm

jmw11 said:   Glitch99 said:   the TY points are one issue. But I most certainly had property rights in the check they had already sent me....

You only have property rights after the check clears at Citi. Banks routinely stop payment on balance transfer checks when they feel skittish about a borrower. Google will put a stop payment on advertising revenue checks when Google thinks an advertiser committed click fraud. All perfectly legal. If you cashed the check weeks ago and Citi reached in and took it back out with a separate ACH, that's different.

Just to update - Citi agreed with me. The replacement checks arrived the other day....

Glitch99 said:   
Just to update - Citi agreed with me. The replacement checks arrived the other day....

Congrats, that is a big win (assuming it doesn't get you on a permanent sh!t list with citi)

Now lets see if THOSE checks bounce too!

Now lets see if THOSE checks bounce too!

What did they replace? The ones that bounced? The balance in your TYP account? Or both?

Glitch99 said:   jmw11 said:   Glitch99 said:   the TY points are one issue. But I most certainly had property rights in the check they had already sent me....

You only have property rights after the check clears at Citi. Banks routinely stop payment on balance transfer checks when they feel skittish about a borrower. Google will put a stop payment on advertising revenue checks when Google thinks an advertiser committed click fraud. All perfectly legal. If you cashed the check weeks ago and Citi reached in and took it back out with a separate ACH, that's different.

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Followed same path as Glitch.

Re-issued checks arrived and were deposited. Only problem is that I got a paper cut opening all those envelopes.

I smell lawsuit emotional and physical torture
But seriously, glad it worked in your favor
jewsus said:   Re-issued checks arrived and were deposited. Only problem is that I got a paper cut opening all those envelopes.

Can someone with access to their ThankYou points account provide me with the item number for the WalMart $100 gift card.

Bocasva said:   Can someone with access to their ThankYou points account provide me with the item number for the WalMart $100 gift card.
anyone can get item numbers without logging in.

(I think it's #1720454)

Some of you may need airline tickets to Hong Kong soon.

nsdp said:   Some of you may need airline tickets to Hong Kong soon
lock up some Thank You Points with some ticket reservations

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014