Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Fees
Disclaimer
eBay's new pricing structure effective 4/1 (CORRECTION! 5/1) is going to DOUBLE seller fees unless you have an eBay store for $20/month. Seriously? Sell a $500 cell phone and "old fee" was $26 and "new fee" is now $50. Such a deal! But HEY, the "insertion fee" is free. They are certainly "inserting" it.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
And below cost. So getting something FAR and donating it doesn't give you a writeoff.

walletfart (May. 29, 2013 @ 6:01a) |

I agree but perhaps he is also including the cost of his time it takes to post, sell and ship on eBay in the overall cos... (more)

secstate (May. 29, 2013 @ 8:08a) |

My understanding of how donations work is that for the 1st year you can/have to deduct what you paid for the item, but a... (more)

corporateclaw (May. 29, 2013 @ 11:52a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yep - really screwing the small sellers and forcing people on to eBay stores. It's almost criminal how they advertise the change as if it's a good thing - saying now you can do 50 free fixed-price listings! with the fine print being the flat 10% fee charged.

I didn't even realize until recently that auction final-value fees were significantly higher than fixed-price final-value fees. That cost me $20 to learn.

With selling fees and shipping costs increasing, even more people should seriously look at CL and local sites. In case you don't know, there are many selling groups on FB now for your local area - not as big a target audience, but it works well when you do have a match.

Great, now I get to pay twice as much to deal with psychotic inbreds from places I never knew existed.

Time to list all my junk before 4/1.

Time to try Craigslist. eBay is shooting itself on the foot by doing this, but judging by the way PayPal works I am not too surprised.

S182 said:   Time to try Craigslist.

While I agree the problem with Craigslist is that it varies greatly by locality and in my locality it just sucks for much of what I trying to sell (either it doesn't sell or it sells for a lot less). Even with PrayPal Fees and Fleabay fees I am still ahead on Fleabay. That said for selling I only use Fleabay now for clearing out my old junk, once that is done, I am pretty much done with selling there.

S182 said:   Time to try Craigslist. eBay is shooting itself on the foot by doing this, but judging by the way PayPal works I am not too surprised.This is said every time eBay changes their fee structure. They won't suffer long. They are targeting Amazon sellers with a simple straight fee structure. Only those selling electronics or items priced over $50 will really see a significant increase.

The market will change and prices will increase to make up for the difference, just like every thing else in the consumer market.

duplicate - this topic has been already well covered by FW eBay experts in this FW thread here

Well eBay has to make money somehow. At this point the only way they're going to do that is by becoming a cartel and forcing you to use their payment services as well.

Oh wait...

So....add in the paypal fee and you're looking at 15%. No wonder all the items on there are from existing companies and not individual people anymore. Hard to find any used junk anymore except on craigslist.

The old eBay + paypal fees were already ridiculous... I believe the were around 20% of the total transaction. They charged a fee based on the final value which has no relationship to the actual costs of eBay to host the auction(costs them no more to host an auction for a postcard versus a car).

This will be a perfect opportunity for more competition to come into the market. eBay is not doing anything particularly special... just hosting an auction website that competition can copy. I just can't imagine they'll be able to able to squeeze more money out of their users.

I won't be selling anything on eBay anymore and I hope others won't either.

I hadn't sold anything on eBay for 3 years and recently sold a watch for $3000. I was stunned to find my eBay and paypal fees were over $300. I went through with the transaction, but would rather have my watch than $2700. Never again.

kriskos4 said:   I hadn't sold anything on eBay for 3 years and recently sold a watch for $3000. I was stunned to find my eBay and paypal fees were over $300. I went through with the transaction, but would rather have my watch than $2700. Never again.

Under the new plan your fvf would drop to $250, which is the max.

Thank you for posting this. I got an email and telephone call outlining the new low fees for people with an eBay store, but no mention of increasing fees for regular sellers. Amazon is also increasing fees.

walletfart said:   Yep - really screwing the small sellers and forcing people on to eBay stores. It's almost criminal how they advertise the change as if it's a good thing - saying now you can do 50 free fixed-price listings! with the fine print being the flat 10% fee charged.

I didn't even realize until recently that auction final-value fees were significantly higher than fixed-price final-value fees. That cost me $20 to learn.

With selling fees and shipping costs increasing, even more people should seriously look at CL and local sites. In case you don't know, there are many selling groups on FB now for your local area - not as big a target audience, but it works well when you do have a match.

Only reason I use eBay is for the cheapie stuff i win rather than closer to market price, eBay is whiney because they don't like that type of low price purchasing because profit is less.
if nothing can be had for cheap, no reason for eBay to stay in business. Who wants to go to eBay to pay close to full price. they know they ran off sellers and buyers, but won't revert back to old eBay and admit they were wrong.

it is time one of the other auction sites become king, get popular or a creation of one.

jimates said:   S182 said:   Time to try Craigslist. eBay is shooting itself on the foot by doing this, but judging by the way PayPal works I am not too surprised.This is said every time eBay changes their fee structure. They won't suffer long. They are targeting Amazon sellers with a simple straight fee structure. Only those selling electronics or items priced over $50 will really see a significant increase.

The market will change and prices will increase to make up for the difference, just like every thing else in the consumer market.

but Amazon offers REAL protection to buyers, it's spotty with eBay disputes.

I understand the flat fee structure to compete with Amazon marketplace, but isnt marketplace fees significantly lower if you are a small time seller?

flowindex said:   kriskos4 said:   I hadn't sold anything on eBay for 3 years and recently sold a watch for $3000. I was stunned to find my eBay and paypal fees were over $300. I went through with the transaction, but would rather have my watch than $2700. Never again.

No, he includes paypoo fees, so a $3000 watch would be $250 eBay fee + ~$90 pp fee = $340 under new eBay fee plan.

kriskos4 said:   I hadn't sold anything on eBay for 3 years and recently sold a watch for $3000. I was stunned to find my eBay and paypal fees were over $300. I went through with the transaction, but would rather have my watch than $2700. Never again.

I'm not sure you can blame E-bay/Paypal for that...You didn't check the fee structure for a high end item you are selling...

Never bought or sold anything on eBay. Looks like I won't start either.

The new fees will cause 5% of their users to abandon ship, and huge profits on the other 95% that complain, and do nothing.

Thumbing through g! news on the subject apparently some like it & this is a move to lure merchants the S. American river. I don't know; luckily eBay doesn't make or break me, but I'll be first jump in on some internet outrage on them & PP especially.

So they're competing with Amazon's higher fees by raising their own fees. Wonderful. Google really needs to produce an auction alternative. What you'r paying for on eBay is the number of eyes, Google could potentially match or beat that.

All the more reason to be glad I'm bartering my $500 phone for a new tattoo, I suppose.

S182 said:   Time to try Craigslist. eBay is shooting itself on the foot by doing this, but judging by the way PayPal works I am not too surprised.

Crazytree said:   Great, now I get to pay twice as much to deal with psychotic inbreds from places I never knew existed.

Time to list all my junk before 4/1.

Now we will have to personally deal with psychotic inbreds from places close to where we live.

sloppy1 said:   flowindex said:   kriskos4 said:   I hadn't sold anything on eBay for 3 years and recently sold a watch for $3000. I was stunned to find my eBay and paypal fees were over $300. I went through with the transaction, but would rather have my watch than $2700. Never again.

No, he includes paypoo fees, so a $3000 watch would be $250 eBay fee + ~$90 pp fee = $340 under new eBay fee plan.
You can't rightfully complain about fees for taking payments. The only way to avoid that is taking cash in hand, which is CL with minimal buyers.

GreyRabbit said:   kriskos4 said:   I hadn't sold anything on eBay for 3 years and recently sold a watch for $3000. I was stunned to find my eBay and paypal fees were over $300. I went through with the transaction, but would rather have my watch than $2700. Never again.

I'm not sure you can blame E-bay/Paypal for that...You didn't check the fee structure for a high end item you are selling...

I do blame eBay/PP and I won't be selling anything else on eBay, ever. I'll resort to eBay to purchase an item that I can't find anywhere else.

Agree with Google coming up with a marketplace competition against eBay with significantly lower fees and other added google-tech features

eBay sets them up..Google knocks em down

mattun said:   So they're competing with Amazon's higher fees by raising their own fees. Wonderful. Google really needs to produce an auction alternative. What you'r paying for on eBay is the number of eyes, Google could potentially match or beat that.

You're right, but eBay is one of Google's biggest sources of income. If they start an auction site, eBay will stop paying them, and they'll have to hope their auction alternative eclipses the lost eBay revenue before shareholders get too worked up.

wpgabriel said:   mattun said:   So they're competing with Amazon's higher fees by raising their own fees. Wonderful. Google really needs to produce an auction alternative. What you'r paying for on eBay is the number of eyes, Google could potentially match or beat that.

You're right, but eBay is one of Google's biggest sources of income. If they start an auction site, eBay will stop paying them, and they'll have to hope their auction alternative eclipses the lost eBay revenue before shareholders get too worked up.

We can't be the first to think of this stuff. Google's already considered it and they realize the fees from eBay represent more profit than Google could realize by running an auction site. I'm sure the data is constantly being reviewed and at some point Google may throw their hat in the arena.

There is going to be a ton more direct communication between sellers and buyers in order to avoid this 10% fee. I have already experienced a situation where the dude offered to shave $50 off a $500 purchase if I just paid him using Google Wallet and didn't go through his eBay auction.

Perhaps I could have been scammed, but I figured a cc chargeback could always be in order if needed.

dang man i rely on eBay for income!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOO

nullterm said:   There is going to be a ton more direct communication between sellers and buyers in order to avoid this 10% fee. I have already experienced a situation where the dude offered to shave $50 off a $500 purchase if I just paid him using Google Wallet and didn't go through his eBay auction.

Perhaps I could have been scammed, but I figured a cc chargeback could always be in order if needed.

I often point people to eCrater.com and offer the item for 10% less there. It's a clunky auction website and you get a lot of WTF from people, but at least there is an import feature (more than 50 listings) from eBay, no listing/sales fees, and Paypal/Google Checkout payment options. I think the buyers feel safer actually buying from a website than trying to broker a straight Paypal transaction.

You especially have to love the spin they put on these increases each time, making it sound like you're the winner of this "change of terms."

I stopped selling on eBay 3 or 4 years ago, way too much work to make 10 cents on the dollar. I could have a garage sale and make more that way.

mattun said:   So they're competing with Amazon's higher fees by raising their own fees. Wonderful. Google really needs to produce an auction alternative. What you'r paying for on eBay is the number of eyes, Google could potentially match or beat that.

This market requires heavy customer service presence to handle disputes and what not. Google customer service is non existent, it is primarily a technology company and straight technology is not the answer for this. Don't bet your horses on Google to provide a competent alternative.

Shades of the "olden days" when each quarter they'd make a record profit and Meg Whitman would get a big bonus AND the fees would go up...

Maschil said:   dang man i rely on eBay for income!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOand you can't afford to cough up $20/month on an eBay store?

Looks like the changes increase the auction fee by 10% and make the fixed price fee equal to the auction fee.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/Feecalculator.html

The higher eBay fees go, the more I can lowball on CL. Bring on the fees!

Skipping 159 Messages...
walletfart said:   cestmoi123 said:   justignoredem said:   90% of transactions I would get more money donating it to charity as a tax write-off. I wish that weren't true, but it really is.

Really? Even if you had the highest marginal rate in the country (NYC, a bit over 50%), then donating a $100 item would only generate $50 in tax savings (less, since charitable deductions are reduced at high income levels). Fees on selling the $100 item on eBay would be nowhere near $50.

The only way you could get more donating it to charity is if you inappropriately inflated the value of the item for donation purposes. Remember, you can only deduct the amount for which you could actually sell the item.

And below cost. So getting something FAR and donating it doesn't give you a writeoff.

My understanding of how donations work is that for the 1st year you can/have to deduct what you paid for the item, but after that, you can/have to deduct the FMV of the item? Similar to the FAR stuff, I was researching this in the realm of free stuff after couponing, such that if you get some toothbrushes (or software) for free, during the first year, you get no deduction for donating them, but if you wait a year and a day, then you can deduct the FMV of the toothbrushes or software.

This is just my read of how it works, so I'm wondering if I am confused? Under that, your FAR software may have some value as a deduction after a year (which seems odd), but I think that's the way the code is written (and I know a lot of couponers that don't do the deductions that way, i.e., they deduct the full value of the stuff they get for free when they donate it right away) -- if anyone else knows more definitively that would be great.

EDIT: and for donations of other stuff, if you imagine something worth ~50 that weighs more than 13 ounces and doesn't fit into a small (or regional) priority mail package, you are talking about 10 bucks to ship, 6.50 in fees, and at least 50 cents in packaging stuff (plus time spent listing and driving to the PO, which if you want to deduct .565 dollars per mile means you better have a PO right next door) even with just the actual mail cost and fees of 17 bucks, you are looking at "only" getting 37 bucks. Then you need to calculate your loss for whatever percent of ebayers are scammy mcscammersons and getting 20-25 bucks in the form of tax savings definitely starts to look like more money than the 50 bucks you can sell it for.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014