• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hey everybody,
I was wondering if someone has experience with this. This quarter of Chase Freedom 5% CashBack categories is ending, which is sad because it makes gas much cheaper for me. I was wondering: if I purchase gift cards at the gas station, will I earn the 5% CashBack as if I were buying gas?
Thanks for answering!

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

depends on the gas station ... but if you have paid for gas inside the store before and gotten rewards, you would on the gift cards too. Some gas stations only ring up as gas at the pump and have a different code if you buy in store.

How do I know if I get rewards? Is there a place on the chase website I can find whether it earned something without waiting until the end of the month?

I just found this thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1124278/?start=0

My gas station is listed as 5541 and 5542, but not as a convenience store.

Jut go to a Drugstore and buy them.

ha, good point. i forgot that was a category too...
Although it'd be nice to get gift cards specifically for the gas station (and its associated grocery store...)- things that I actually use every week.

Lets hope so as I bought a $500 marathon gc (cheapest gas around).....sounds like alot till you factor in that one of my vehicles is a Diesel truck and takes $120+ each full fillup. Glad you brought up the reminder though as I need to buy some more since I haven't used up the $1500 cap yet.

Oh some gas stations will give you extra's too for instance @ marathon if you buy $500 they give you 2% ($10) extra on the card so you end up with $510 value on top of the 5%

I was gonna call Chase to see if my purchase from the nearby gas qualified as CB and see what my remaining balance for CB this quarter. The Chase site is so vague, I don't see any sort of line item breakdown of what actually qualified as CB, like Discover does.

I bought a few gift cards at Super America this quarter with chase freedom and no problem. No problem with my citibank cards, either.

You could always get a PenFed credit card and earn 5% at gas stations year round (and 3% at supermarkets, plus no foreign transaction fees).

dawndelion said:   You could always get a PenFed credit card and earn 5% at gas stations year round (and 3% at supermarkets, plus no foreign transaction fees).

Penfed is 5% for "pay at the pump". OP is questioning gift card purchases in store for chase.

Discover advertises that you can use their card inside the gas station. I have heard that Chase works the same way. I've been trying to find a gas station that allows me to buy a vanilla reload. The Shell stations haven't been letting me.

calisoldier83 said:   I was gonna call Chase to see if my purchase from the nearby gas qualified as CB and see what my remaining balance for CB this quarter. The Chase site is so vague, I don't see any sort of line item breakdown of what actually qualified as CB, like Discover does.I think there's a page which details what qualifies. I was actually going to buy gas at Pilot tonight, until I remembered that Chase excluded truck stops, and Pilot is considered one. So I went to Gulf for gas instead.

makryger said:   Hey everybody,
I was wondering if someone has experience with this. This quarter of Chase Freedom 5% CashBack categories is ending, which is sad because it makes gas much cheaper for me. I was wondering: if I purchase gift cards at the gas station, will I earn the 5% CashBack as if I were buying gas?
Thanks for answering!

Rather than give you a long, involved answer focused on MCCs, let me try for a more practical answer:

When you pay at the pump you're in excellent shape to get the 5%. But: Problem. You obviously cannot buy gift cards by paying at the pump. What to do?

Consider that, even at "pay at the pump" stations, not everyone pays that way. For example, some customers pay with cash. You need to buy your gift cards at the same cash register those folks use to pay for their gasoline, when they wish not to pay at the pump. That should give you a happy outcome most of the time.

Not to get too esoteric, but remember it's all done by MCC, and a given cash register always sends the same MCC regardless what is being purchased. So if you ring up at a cash register where, mostly, customers are paying for gasoline, chances are pretty good it's coded for gasoline . . . which is what you want it to be coded for.

I have had good luck along those lines with the more "kiosk" style operations, focused mostly on gasoline. When you get into a "variety store" setting it can become a bit more dicey. When I hit that setting I do an MCC test. However, MCC testing is beyond the scope of this post.

Or just buy Kmart gift cards at 8% off at eBay, get 2% eBay bucks and use a 2% CashBack credit card. Then go to Kmart and buy shell gift cards...

mastroadam said:   Or just buy Kmart gift cards at 8% off at eBay, get 2% eBay bucks and use a 2% CashBack credit card. Then go to Kmart and buy shell gift cards...

Great post. I enjoyed it. Reminds me of something I ran across years ago. I no longer can recall the specifics. But regardless, I discovered an eBay seller selling fraudulent (i.e., "up-valued") gift cards. The guy was in Hawaii (don't know why that stuck in my mind).

Anyway, I was much more of a "goodie goodie" back then than now, so I notified the company being defrauded, providing them all specifics. It was a learning experience for me. The company had virtually no interest in going after the Hawaiian crook. I guess it cost them less just to look the other way.

Like I said, a long time ago. I'd guess that by now the crook would be retired in Hawaii, except that he already was in Hawaii!!

mastroadam said:   Or just buy Kmart gift cards at 8% off at eBay, get 2% eBay bucks and use a 2% CashBack credit card. Then go to Kmart and buy shell gift cards...

Or you could just use one of the grocery store gas rewards programs for free gas....OR you ride your bike everywhere. OR...

But the OP's question is still, yes...chase freedom works instore for purchases....

makryger said:   Hey everybody,
Thanks for answering!

Depends on if the register has the same MCC (can search on the Visa website). The thing to be careful of is that (in my experience), you won't get the 5% CB if the charge doesn't post before the new month begins. The last time Chase had the 5% gas CB, I had purchased ~$1100 (split over a few different gas gift cards; it was the same gas station I had been filling up at for some time and it was posting with the correct MCC for 5% CB) near the end of the month. Unfortunately, I didn't get the 5% CB because even though the charges immediately showed up in my account as pending transactions, the charges didn't post until several days later - after the next month began.

OP, I bought Wawa GC at a Wawa station in NJ last yr and got 5% CashBack.

non gas 7-11 purchases in store (this store had adjacent 7-11 gas pumps) was coded as gas station for me with Chase Freedom but if I remember correctly did not for Penfed Plat Rewards

nwill002 said:   non gas 7-11 purchases in store (this store had adjacent 7-11 gas pumps) was coded as gas station for me with Chase Freedom but if I remember correctly did not for Penfed Plat Rewards

The store was probably using MCC 5241 (gasoline merchant). PenFed requires MCC 5242 (gasoline pay at the pump). Chase pays bonuses on either.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.