• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've received several American Express Prepaid Reward cards as rebates. Since they all have fixed dollar amount and don't allow any reloading of money, I can't completely use up the entire value of the card. For example, I placed an online order of $26 dollars using a reward card with $30 value. I don't know what to do with the remaining $4. Do people know an online retailer that takes multiple cards?

What is your experience of using multiple cards in grocery stores?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Isn't OP then out 3% more ?

tajar96 (Mar. 31, 2013 @ 5:53a) |

Yeah, that sounds the easiest. They always let you do a million payments. I've done this before with our Fios account.

jaytrader (Mar. 31, 2013 @ 10:03a) |

I'll contribute to this conversation because it has been discussed before and someone else's post helped me tremendously... (more)

mooingmooseman (Mar. 31, 2013 @ 11:26a) |

• Also categorized in:

Just use up the remainder on a utility bill (e.g., Comcast).

Just scan in the extra to square, takes 5 seconds.

jd2010 said:   Just scan in the extra to square, takes 5 seconds.

Not sure what you mean. Please explain.

jd2010 said:   Just scan in the extra to square, takes 5 seconds.
wut?

Ask in a any large store for "split tender transaction" - end of story

Determine the amount that has to be paid in cash prior to running the card.
Have casheir ring up the cash amount.
Register will show the balance due for the exact amount of what is left on the card.
Then the card can be applied without a problem.

Pay a fixed amount to Comcast or Sprint, just swipe the card at Costco or Kroger and it will charge for the remaining balance, or buy an Amazon cert for a fixed amount and add it to your Amazon account.

superthermite said:   Pay a fixed amount to Comcast or Sprint, just swipe the card at Costco or Kroger and it will charge for the remaining balance, or buy an Amazon cert for a fixed amount and add it to your Amazon account.

Amazon gift certificate sounds interesting. Can I stack several Amazon cert in one purchase?

just send yourself Amazon gc on their website. DUH.

one thing with the Amazon gift cards is they do a dollar "hold" so you will still lose out on a buck.

If you have target in your area....

Just swipe at register. Target has no hassle system where it just deducts amount from your merchandise payment.

Swipe the low balance crad you have... continue with other forms of payment.......

Prepay at a gas station.

wckd said:   one thing with the Amazon gift cards is they do a dollar "hold" so you will still lose out on a buck.
Until the hold falls off, and you can use that last dollar.

I agree with Cabby. I used to get a lot of these and I've found that Target is the easiest place to use them. You just stick them into card reader and it takes whatever's left on the card.

I usually take a stack of them to my grocery store and buy a grocery store gift card. Most of them will take multiple cards.

Have you ever pumped gas?

I find that most big national stores have a current enough card reader that deducts the exact balance left and allows a new card to be used. The best is the self checkout at Giant (during a slow period). I can kill a stack of low balance cards without annoying a cashier.

perhaps the post office for stamps for small remainders like one dollar
BTW I think the OP has a reasonable question

You're right, they're completely worthless and should be thrown in the trash. Luckily, I can take care of that for you. Just send me a PM and I'll tell you where to mail them.

ThankThoseWhoShare said:   jd2010 said:   Just scan in the extra to square, takes 5 seconds.

Get a square reader for free.
Use card until small amount left on it.
Figure out how much on card.
Swipe into your square acct for like a 3% flat fee.
Enjoy not having to waste time trying to figure out how to use them.

wckd said:   one thing with the Amazon gift cards is they do a dollar "hold" so you will still lose out on a buck.Enter it with the incorrect expiration date initially, then fix it before you use it. That way, the dollar hold will be rejected and you can use the entire card.

This is what many of us do with Amazon Payments, so I expect it is the same for Amazon.com.

OP should either use the whole card to pay a utility bill when they get it, or buy a store gift card for the full amount. Then there's no problem of having small amounts left on the card.

I use mine to reload my Starbucks gift card. As long as it's above $5, they don't have a problem with it, even if it's a weird amount.

I guess I received negative rating because my question is too simple. Gosh, I never use more than one credit card to pay before and didn't even know it's possible.

I just called the local Nob Hill grocery store, which told me I can swipe multiple cards in their self check-out stand.

What is "dollar hold" on Amazon gift cards? Does that mean Amazon will deduct a dollar when you buy a gift card?

Square account sounds interesting. Too bad I don't have any device that can run their reader.

Re: dollar hold. Yes, you've probably never noticed but anytime that you've added a credit card to your Amzn account, whether intending to buy GCs or anything else, they've most likely placed a temporary $1 verification charge on your card. It falls back off after a week or so. People trying to convert a prepaid or rebate card through Amzn, though, usually want to drain the entire card immediately after adding it, which is the only reason this becomes an issue. As others have said, if you go this route you can either wait until the $1 is returned to your card balance, or research the expiration date trick, or if you've signed up for Amzn Payments, enter the card through the AP side of their website as it doesn't seem to place a $1 hold anymore (YMMV).

ThankThoseWhoShare said:   I guess I received negative rating because my question is too simple. Gosh, I never use more than one credit card to pay before and didn't even know it's possible.
No, you got red because you presented something as fact which was completely untrue.
What is "dollar hold" on Amazon gift cards? Does that mean Amazon will deduct a dollar when you buy a gift card? When you add the credit card to your Amazon account, they do a test authorization of $1 to make sure the card is good. If you give it the wrong expiration date, the $1 charge won't go through, but they'll still add it to your account (which makes one wonder why they bother doing it).

I usually pay my Comcast and Verizon bill online.

Kev

billrubin said:   
No, you got red because you presented something as fact which was completely untrue.

I think there is a misunderstanding. I wasn't stating anything, and was merely stating my problem. I just edited my original post and hopefully that would be more clear.

About Amazon gift certificates, I don't mind waiting for a week for the hold to be over. My questions are:

Do I need to make a new gift certificate for each reward card I have?
When I make a purchase, can I use several gift certificates at a time?

ThankThoseWhoShare said:   I think there is a misunderstanding. I wasn't stating anything, and was merely stating my problem. I just edited my original post and hopefully that would be more clear.
Now you have it as a question. Before you had it as a statement.
About Amazon gift certificates, I don't mind waiting for a week for the hold to be over. My questions are:

Do I need to make a new gift certificate for each reward card I have?
When I make a purchase, can I use several gift certificates at a time?
You need to buy a gift certificate with each card separately. Once you have the gift certificates, you can apply them to your account and use them all at one time, or leave a balance for future use.

Mostly off topic, but anybody have any theories on what would happen if the AMEX Gift Card goes negative? I had a retailer accidently double refund an order. I didn't notice either and drained the whole thing after. Got an email today that they were going to reverse the second refund. Would it just fail because there's nothing on the card? I'm semi-leaning towards offering no help to them because it was a pretty annoying refund process on an item that never shipped and they took forever to deal with (multiple "we'll contact you in 3-4 business days" with no response in 5+ business days). So I figure I'll get back to them when I feel like it. Or if they manage to get it negative and AMEX would be stuck with the bill, then I'll be a good customer since AMEX never did me wrong.

Just FYI to some people... when you swipe for the full amount and the register deducts the remaining balance on your prepaid card, that is called a "partial authorization". Most stores nowadays support it, but some still don't.

Some gift card companies are being sneaky and not supporting partial authorizations on their end. In that case, you have to have the store run the charge for exactly the remaining balance to receive an approval, even if the store itself supports the partial auth.

scrouds said:   Just FYI to some people... when you swipe for the full amount and the register deducts the remaining balance on your prepaid card, that is called a "partial authorization". Most stores nowadays support it, but some still don't.

Some gift card companies are being sneaky and not supporting partial authorizations on their end. In that case, you have to have the store run the charge for exactly the remaining balance to receive an approval, even if the store itself supports the partial auth.

I noticed this at Staples the other day, when I knew there was a dollar or two left on a gift card I wanted to use, and I know for sure that Staples registers handle split tender perfectly fine.

When the merchant equipment can determine the gift card balance, Visa calls this "Visa POS Balance Inquiry Service."

They have a list of merchants that currently support it at
http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/visa_gift_card_know.html

I don't know if Mastercard, Am-Ex, or Discover offer similar for their gift cards, but I would be surprised if they aren't at least working on it.

+1 to that. Certain merchants will wipe out the balance and then it prints another receipt for the rest. Very easy.

mattun said:   Mostly off topic, but anybody have any theories on what would happen if the AMEX Gift Card goes negative? I had a retailer accidently double refund an order. I didn't notice either and drained the whole thing after. Got an email today that they were going to reverse the second refund. Would it just fail because there's nothing on the card? I'm semi-leaning towards offering no help to them because it was a pretty annoying refund process on an item that never shipped and they took forever to deal with (multiple "we'll contact you in 3-4 business days" with no response in 5+ business days). So I figure I'll get back to them when I feel like it. Or if they manage to get it negative and AMEX would be stuck with the bill, then I'll be a good customer since AMEX never did me wrong.

I've had gift cards go negative by a few dollars. It seems like they just write it off. I figure the purchase fee goes to offset a bit of this.

jd2010 said:   ThankThoseWhoShare said:   jd2010 said:   Just scan in the extra to square, takes 5 seconds.

Get a square reader for free.
Use card until small amount left on it.
Figure out how much on card.
Swipe into your square acct for like a 3% flat fee.
Enjoy not having to waste time trying to figure out how to use them.

Isn't OP then out 3% more ?

CRKev said:   I usually pay my Comcast and Verizon bill online.

Kev

Yeah, that sounds the easiest. They always let you do a million payments. I've done this before with our Fios account.

I'll contribute to this conversation because it has been discussed before and someone else's post helped me tremendously.

You can actually call the number on the back of the card and ask for AMEX to send you a check for the full balance of your card. I've never had to do it for the remaining "$1.52", but just avoid the problem altogether by never using the card and always calling in.

The CSR always puts me on hold to check that my card is eligible, but so far it always has been (my cards tend to be from Tiger Direct rebates).

No idea if Visa does the same thing for its prepaids but I've done this maybe 5 or 6 times for AMEX already. Some people said they would even do direct deposit into your checking account, but I have never had a CSR agree to this.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014