Used Car Buying question

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Greetings,

I had a question about buying a used car. I have read any and all posts on here about car purchasing and feel extremely confident about what is expected when shopping for a car. Here's my question...

Backstory - we were gifted with a '99 explorer 2 years ago. Great SUV. Absolutely great. Well 2 weeks ago I was in a car accident and it was totaled. Our family have been proudly car payment free for many years (our other car is a '02 avalon). We knew eventually a car payment was in our future, but not for as long as possible.

We started looking around at used SUVs and liked Chevy. With lots and lots of research we test drove one at the local dealership. As soon as the salesman walked up we told him, 'we are here to test drive. we have the rental car (courtesy of the insurance company) for XX more days and will not be buying before then'. At the end the salesman became semi-rude with us, asking what we were doing at the dealership if we weren't buying. It was a Thursday afternoon and was DEAD. We also had told him from the start we were only there to test drive.

Anyways we left, but were annoyed at how rude he was to us. The problem is, after doing lots of research in two markets, that dealership still has the best deal on the traverse. What would you do? I don't want to give the dealership our money, but I also don't want to pay more than we have to.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
BS about wasting time, I agree with OP.

When I was buying my Camry, that was '08 btw, and car sales were HOT, you had to ... (more)

RareWS6 (Mar. 27, 2013 @ 1:17p) |

I'm not defending the sales person but I did want to point out that doing this at off hours probably made the situation ... (more)

bsp8181 (Mar. 28, 2013 @ 6:43p) |

I'm not defending the sales person but I did want to point out that doing this at off hours probably made the situation ... (more)

bsp8181 (Mar. 28, 2013 @ 6:44p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Cars are commodities, so don't make it an emotional purchase. That said, business is business. If they have the best deal, don't let your personal feelings for the douchy salesman affect you decision. Just make sure you read the contract carefully so they don't try to screw you.

I presume you've already tried to pitch the jerk's dealership's price to the angel dealership, right? Will they play ball?

Ask for a different salesman,

@kwest - yes that was the plan, except the dealership we were going to negotiate with just sold the 2 they had.

update - just checked autotrader - chevy dealership 1 hour away just posted the same vehicle at a LOWER price with LESS miles.

Speak with dealership owner about his employee behavior. I'm sure he will be delighted to find this out and it might lead to even better deal for you

Car salesmen can be under a lot of pressure and stress by management to perform and close deals... and he may have thought you were wasting his time. Not that his behavior was justified but it is easy to see how that can happen.

Call up and talk to a manager and explain your situation... perhaps you can work with another salesman and use it as leverage to negotiate a better deal.

aiccdd said:   update - just checked autotrader - chevy dealership 1 hour away just posted the same vehicle at a LOWER price with LESS miles.

Work with their internet sales manager instead of walking in off the street

@nasheedb - how do you work with them over email/phone?

Use it to bargain. Go to the manager and say you want the car but aren't sold on this dealership due to their salesman. If the price is right, you can get over it. Offer lower than the other dealer.

I hear there are a good number of used Crown Vics available, maybe you should consider one.

nasheedb said:   aiccdd said:   update - just checked autotrader - chevy dealership 1 hour away just posted the same vehicle at a LOWER price with LESS miles.

yah, that sounds like a great option, however, in the case of most dealerships, it isn't what is promised. I was buying a new Honda Odyssey in the fall, decided I knew exactly what I wanted. about 50%+ of the dealerships internet sales managers were basically regular salesmen. in some cases, there was the internet sales manager, who you spoke to online, who handed you immediately off to the next salesmen who was up. I was pretty dissappointed with the experiance at most places.

I'd still try the internet approach, but assume that you're not going to get the advertised internet experience.

I can see why he'd be sort of pissed. You're just wasting his time. What if you said, "we're only here to test drive and we're going to try and buy from a private seller".

Granted, you might end up buying from them in the future...but those dealers/agents are paid on commission and if he has to spend 1-2 hours talking to you and you're guaranteed to walk away...it sucks.

No offense, but if you are not buying a used car right then, what is the point of the test drive. The car could be gone the following day.

Did this once after test driving the new car first for the gift card, the salesman just flat out said that if not planning on buying that day or tomorrow, the car could be gone, so what was the point of the test drive. Thought for a moment, and I actually agreed with him.

aiccdd said:   @nasheedb - how do you work with them over email/phone?
You pick up the phone and speak into the receiver

MilleniumBuc said:   No offense, but if you are not buying a used car right then, what is the point of the test drive. The car could be gone the following day.

Did this once after test driving the new car first for the gift card, the salesman just flat out said that if not planning on buying that day or tomorrow, the car could be gone, so what was the point of the test drive. Thought for a moment, and I actually agreed with him.

What if I want to see if I like that type of car?

Chrisk327 said:   nasheedb said:   aiccdd said:   update - just checked autotrader - chevy dealership 1 hour away just posted the same vehicle at a LOWER price with LESS miles.

yah, that sounds like a great option, however, in the case of most dealerships, it isn't what is promised. I was buying a new Honda Odyssey in the fall, decided I knew exactly what I wanted. about 50%+ of the dealerships internet sales managers were basically regular salesmen. in some cases, there was the internet sales manager, who you spoke to online, who handed you immediately off to the next salesmen who was up. I was pretty dissappointed with the experiance at most places.

I'd still try the internet approach, but assume that you're not going to get the advertised internet experience.

What do you care if you have to deal with a salesman to finalize the deal if you already have a manager approved quote on the car you want?

hope everybody was okay in the accident. dont worry about the salesman, you're there to get the car and drive away.

i disagree about wasting his time. we went on an off hour and not on the weekend and made a point to say we were not purchasing. I am also of the opinion you do not buy a car with out test driving it. It's funny that one of the most widely read posts on this site is about how to buy a car. And one of the first things listed on there is to test drive the car and walk away. But I digress..

As for his attitude, if we hadn't clearly stated we weren't purchasing from the beginning and instead fished him along, then yes his snarkiness would have been justified.

Thanks for the comments about saying something to the manager and also just using a different salesperson. The salesman did say there were 90 other sales people there. So the odds are ever in our favor we won't have to see him again IF we go back.

BS about wasting time, I agree with OP.

When I was buying my Camry, that was '08 btw, and car sales were HOT, you had to fight for cars... I test drove a Camry 3x and drove a Honda Accord 1x and Hyundai Azera 3x before I finally made up my mind. Each cars at same dealer, and all salespeople were as pleasant as possible! They loved to see me walk in, and they loved to spend 1hr plus every time while I test drove and discussed prices and options. I bought a Camry, and not even the one I test drove, another one they special ordered for me.

Reason I bought a Camry - overall great experience, small personal dealer, great price. They let me drive the car on my own all 3 times... it was just a carefree experience.

BTW, i absolutely WOULD NOT announce you're not buying, but just shopping around. Be straight and honest, but not too honest if you know what I mean. I was in a similar boat - my sports car blew it's engine and was dead - I needed a car right away.

You got a dud salesperson. Complain to manager, you'll get a deal and a nice one to work with.

aiccdd said:   i disagree about wasting his time. we went on an off hour and not on the weekend and made a point to say we were not purchasing.

I'm not defending the sales person but I did want to point out that doing this at off hours probably made the situation even worse. Because it was slow, the sales person was probably waiting awhile for his next "Up", and then you walk in wanting to test drive, indicating that there's a 0% chance you're buying. This can be extremely frustrating for a sales person. With that said, a true professional sales person wouldn't show this frustration.

If this happened on a busy sales day, it wouldn't be a big deal for the sales person because he'd have his next "Up" very shortly.

aiccdd said:   i disagree about wasting his time. we went on an off hour and not on the weekend and made a point to say we were not purchasing.

I'm not defending the sales person but I did want to point out that doing this at off hours probably made the situation even worse. Because it was slow, the sales person was probably waiting awhile for his next "Up", and then you walk in wanting to test drive, indicating that there's a 0% chance you're buying. I can see how this can be frustrating, but a true professional sales person wouldn't show this frustration.

If this happened on a busy sales day, it wouldn't be a big deal for the sales person because he'd have his next "Up" very shortly.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.